Forrest

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2004

I just upgraded my son's machine to a P-4, 3.0 Gig, 775 Prescott with 1 mg.
cache, but could have gotten a 3.2 Gig older style chip with only 512 L-2
cache. Is that the Northwood? Anywhooo .. does the extra cache and newer
design make up for or exceed the .2 Gig of speed that is lost? Which would
you choose? Thanks :confused:

"Forrest" <REMOVETHISrunforrest1@hotmail.com> wrote in message...
>I just upgraded my son's machine to a P-4, 3.0 Gig, 775 Prescott with 1 mg.
>cache, but could have gotten a 3.2 Gig older style chip with only
> 512 L-2 cache. Is that the Northwood?

Yes, it is called the Northwood core.

> Anywhooo .. does the extra cache and newer design make up for
> or exceed the .2 Gig of speed that is lost?

No, not remotely unfortunately. The "newer design" is actually quite a lot
slower than the old one, and even doubling the L2 cache fails to make up the
gap. Comparing a 3.2 Northwood with a 3.0 Prescott is a no-brainer - the
Northwood would have a performance advantage likely to be in the region of
20%, while being quite a bit easier to cool into the bargain.

> Which would you choose? Thanks :confused:

The Socket 775 boards bring a few new tricks to the party, like PCI Express
and the ICH6 southbridge complete with four SATA channels and Native Command
Queueing, but right here, right now, if you wanted a fast Intel based box, a
Northwood based solution would have been the one to have. Prescott is a
runt, as evidenced by the fact that Intel have already canned the
development on it.
--

Richard Hopkins
Cardiff, Wales, United Kingdom

"Richard Hopkins" <richh@dsl.nospam.co.uk> wrote in message
> "Forrest" <REMOVETHISrunforrest1@hotmail.com> wrote in message...
> >I just upgraded my son's machine to a P-4, 3.0 Gig, 775 Prescott with 1
mg.
> >cache, but could have gotten a 3.2 Gig older style chip with only
> > 512 L-2 cache. Is that the Northwood?
>
> Yes, it is called the Northwood core.
>
> > Anywhooo .. does the extra cache and newer design make up for
> > or exceed the .2 Gig of speed that is lost?
>
> No, not remotely unfortunately. The "newer design" is actually quite a lot
> slower than the old one, and even doubling the L2 cache fails to make up
the
> gap. Comparing a 3.2 Northwood with a 3.0 Prescott is a no-brainer - the
> Northwood would have a performance advantage likely to be in the region of
> 20%, while being quite a bit easier to cool into the bargain.
>
> > Which would you choose? Thanks :confused:
>
> The Socket 775 boards bring a few new tricks to the party, like PCI
Express
> and the ICH6 southbridge complete with four SATA channels and Native
Command
> Queueing, but right here, right now, if you wanted a fast Intel based box,
> Northwood based solution would have been the one to have. Prescott is a
> runt, as evidenced by the fact that Intel have already canned the
> development on it.
Not really.
And the Prescott is a very nice Tech Advance even though it's not as fast.
I cant see Intel giving up on a core design when WinXP 64 is soon out for
the 775 LGA's. Plus, if you have the money for one.
You can get an Extreme Edition 775 LGA Prescott.
They're only 1075$ or so,, lol.
Thats for a 3.46 GHz
Out of stock, but that don't mean that they stopped making them..
3.6 GHz 775 LGA (Prescott)
http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=19-116-181&depa=0
I've talked to someone with one of these running Linux on it.
From what he told me, they r very nice, even though they run very hot.
He also told me the Hyperthreading is better then any other Intel cpu.

Ahh, he got it months ago, while it was still a Prototype, straight from
Intel.
Denny. ;-) :)