Best Cheap B&W laser printer a4 for office documents?

Dear All,

My boyfriend and I are both researchers, work at home a good part of the
week, and need to print huge quantities of B&W A4 true type articles and
documents. (for the occasional colour print we use a HP 880C). So, the
printer has to
- print double-side to save space,
- be low cost in toner, drum kit and other supplies
- print on overhead sheets (transparencies)
- be very fast
- rather sturdy than fancy, though weight and dimensions might matter.

I prefer spending more and getting a machine that has a long life. We have 4
computers, with Windows XP, Windows ME, Windows 98 and Windows 95, and I am
considering setting up a LAN. We had experiences only with HP 500 and 520
inkjet and I do not want an inkjet anymore in my life.

Any advice? Thank you very much in advance.

Arianna Betti
(remove NOSPAM if replying by email)
10 answers Last reply
More about best cheap laser printer office documents

    "aribé" <a.NOSPAMbetti@unict.it> ha scritto nel messaggio
    > Dear All,
    >
    > My boyfriend and I are both researchers, work at home a good part of the
    .....cut
    ......fs 1020D Kyocera
    ......every one kyocera have a Lowest consumables cost .
    http://www.kyoceramita.co.uk/pages/products/products.asp

    In article <nKPRc.92595$OR2.4919854@news3.tin.it>, =:-) wrote:

    > "aribé" <a.NOSPAMbetti@unict.it> ha scritto nel messaggio
    >> Dear All,
    >>
    >> My boyfriend and I are both researchers, work at home a good part of the
    > ....cut
    > .....fs 1020D Kyocera
    > .....every one kyocera have a Lowest consumables cost .
    > http://www.kyoceramita.co.uk/pages/products/products.asp

    And HP has the best durability -and will work for years to come.

    No matter what brand, NEVER EVER buy a Windows printer. Buy
    something that preferable speaks PostScript, but PCL-5 is
    also acceptable. Means the printer will also work with your
    next operation system, it being Windows YZ, Mac OS X or
    Linux.

    Windows Printer is a name for a technology where they save
    some on the printer, but they are sure to sell a new printer
    with the next MS upgrade.

    --
    Povl H. Pedersen - NoSpam@my.terminal.dk (yes - it works)
    SIPPhone: 1-747.NOT.BYYI (668.2994) - Free Internet Phone

    > ....cut
    > .....fs 1020D Kyocera
    > .....every one kyocera have a Lowest consumables cost .
    > http://www.kyoceramita.co.uk/pages/products/products.asp

    Thanks!
    Arianna

    On Mon, 9 Aug 2004 11:31:37 +0200, "aribé" <a.NOSPAMbetti@unict.it>
    wrote:

    >Any advice? Thank you very much in advance.

    Kyocera. There product life is as good as any other and better than
    most and their running costs are lower.

    --

    Hecate - The Real One
    Hecate@newsguy.com

    > >Any advice? Thank you very much in advance.
    > >
    > Kyocera. There product life is as good as any other and better than
    > most and their running costs are lower.

    Mmmh. So I should not believe what I found on this message board
    http://fixyourownprinter.com/printer/8/7064.html
    "I do know that kyocera's have a limited lifespan (on newer models 2/3 yrs)
    then you need to replace virtually everything, which usually costs more than
    a new printer."

    Is it nonsense or with new Kyocera models is now better? 2-3 years for me is
    nothing! It has to go on for 10 years.

    Arianna

    "Povl H. Pedersen" <povlhp@povl-h-pedersens-computer.local> schreef in
    bericht news:slrnchfu4c.lg.povlhp@povl-h-pedersens-computer.local...
    > In article <nKPRc.92595$OR2.4919854@news3.tin.it>, =:-) wrote:

    snip

    > And HP has the best durability -and will work for years to come.

    So you would say: buy a HP 2300 series (the basis model is comparable to the
    Kyocera fs 1020D because of speed and automatic double-face printing).

    snip

    > Buy
    > something that preferable speaks PostScript, but PCL-5 is
    > also acceptable.

    HP emulates HP PCL 5e, HP PCL 6, HP PostScript 3 emulatie, automatische
    printertaalkeuze

    Kyocera fs 1020D emulates PCL 6/PCL 5e incl. PJL, KPDL 3 (PostScript 3
    compatibel) met Automatic Emulation Sensing (AES), Line Printer, IBM
    Proprinter X24E, Epson LQ-850, Diablo 630

    Only, the HP is around ? 735,42 tax incl., while the Kyocera is around ?350.
    Do you think this matches their respective lifespan?
    That the HP would go on 10 years while the Kyocera 5, before you start
    changing pieces?

    Hilsener (for Mr. Pedersen)
    Arianna

    "Povl H. Pedersen" <povlhp@povl-h-pedersens-computer.local> wrote in
    comp.periphs.printers:
    >No matter what brand, NEVER EVER buy a Windows printer. Buy
    >something that preferable speaks PostScript, but PCL-5 is
    >also acceptable.

    My Brother HL5150DLT speaks Postscript _and_ PCL, and prints duplex
    automatically. There are options built in for booklets, N-up
    printing, etc. I'm very happy with it, but since it's new I can't
    testify as to its durability.

    http://OakRoadSystems.com
    "You want an intelligent conversation? Do what I do: talk to
    yourself. It's the only way." -- /Torch Song Trilogy/

    On Tue, 10 Aug 2004 15:56:17 +0200, "aribé" <a.NOSPAMbetti@unict.it>
    wrote:

    >> >Any advice? Thank you very much in advance.
    >> >
    >> Kyocera. There product life is as good as any other and better than
    >> most and their running costs are lower.
    >
    >Mmmh. So I should not believe what I found on this message board
    >http://fixyourownprinter.com/printer/8/7064.html
    >"I do know that kyocera's have a limited lifespan (on newer models 2/3 yrs)
    >then you need to replace virtually everything, which usually costs more than
    >a new printer."
    >
    >Is it nonsense or with new Kyocera models is now better? 2-3 years for me is
    >nothing! It has to go on for 10 years.
    >
    >Arianna

    Hi Arianna,

    From my experience with them, and from talking to others I would say
    that's nonsense.

    --

    Hecate - The Real One
    Hecate@newsguy.com

    snip

    > My Brother HL5150DLT [snip] I'm very happy with it, but since it's new I
    can't
    > testify as to its durability.

    All right, then, the most similar Brother printer to the

    Kyocera FS-1020D [PCL 6/PCL 5e incl. PJL, KPDL 3 (PostScript 3 compatibel)
    with Automatic Emulation Sensing (AES), Line Printer, IBM
    Proprinter X24E, Epson LQ-850, Diablo 630]
    about 350 EUR (prices in the Netherlands)
    Reviews: http://www.itreviews.co.uk/hardware/h580.htm
    http://www.computeractive.co.uk/products/hardware/1156453

    http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/index.cfm?go=hardware.view&product=1987

    http://www.ebuyer.com/customer/products/index.html?rb=1215181769&action=c2hvd19wcm9kdWN0X3Jldmlld3M=&product_uid=59296

    and to the

    HP 2300D Q2474A [HP PCL 5e, HP PCL 6, HP PostScript 3 emulation, automatic
    language choice]
    about 800 EUR
    Reviews: http://www.epinions.com/content_131353841284

    http://www1.bottomdollar.com/rating_getprodrev.php/masterid=706885/id_type=masterid

    is the

    Brother HL5150D [PCL6, PostScript 3, Epson FX-850 en IBM ProPrinter XL]
    about 300 EUR
    Reviews:
    http://www1.bottomdollar.com/rating_getprodrev.php/product_id=1943796/id_type=M/
    http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/stores/detail/-/electronics/B0001BRIEY/customer-reviews/103-0098411-1647815

    It seems the Kyocera does not quite print 20 pp/pm but all the rest (cheap
    costs, especially the life-long drum) is true. The Brother is, yes, dirty
    cheap, but consumes more and it is less ecological. The HP seems to be a
    one-step-higher-class machine than the other two. It seems HPs go on around
    10 years indeed. But this HP costs more than twice as much as the Kyocera.
    Is it worth it? Do I throw the Kyocera away after 5 years?

    Arianna

    In article <4118d409$0$62387$5fc3050@dreader2.news.tiscali.nl>, aribé wrote:
    >> >Any advice? Thank you very much in advance.
    >> >
    >> Kyocera. There product life is as good as any other and better than
    >> most and their running costs are lower.
    >
    > Mmmh. So I should not believe what I found on this message board
    > http://fixyourownprinter.com/printer/8/7064.html
    > "I do know that kyocera's have a limited lifespan (on newer models 2/3 yrs)
    > then you need to replace virtually everything, which usually costs more than
    > a new printer."
    >
    > Is it nonsense or with new Kyocera models is now better? 2-3 years for me is
    > nothing! It has to go on for 10 years.

    One thing to consider if printing a lot:

    With HP you replace the complete toner cartridge every time.
    With the cheap printers, you have to replace a drum kit every 20.000
    or so pages, and it is usually around 150 Euro or so. So often
    printing costs, if you go beyond 20.000 pages will be the same.

    But, you can refill most HP laserprinter toners yourself, getting
    the price way down, and just replace the toner cartridge with a
    new or rycycled if the quality starts to suffer.

    There are still HP LaserJet IIID around, and LaserJet 5. The
    HPs tends to work for longer than you want to keep them.

    --
    Povl H. Pedersen - NoSpam@my.terminal.dk (yes - it works)
    SIPPhone: 1-747.NOT.BYYI (668.2994) - Free Internet Phone

Printers Laser Printer Peripherals