How reliable is overclocking?

Hi,

I wonder how reliable overclocking is in terms of
the life expectancy of the overclocked machine?

for example pushing a 3gig machine to 4 gig isnt worthwhile
if its only going to last 12 months, you might
end up having to buy a new cpu and/or motherboard.

Just wondering what sort of machine life expectancy
users are getting?

Thanks

nige

On Sat, 1 Jan 2005 22:05:09 +0000 (UTC), "Nige"
<nnnppn@btinternet.com> wrote:

>Hi,
>
>I wonder how reliable overclocking is in terms of
>the life expectancy of the overclocked machine?
>
>for example pushing a 3gig machine to 4 gig isnt worthwhile
>if its only going to last 12 months, you might
>end up having to buy a new cpu and/or motherboard.
>
>Just wondering what sort of machine life expectancy
>users are getting?

You are correct - excess heat kills electronics. So to overclock
safely you just need to control the heat with good cooling systems and
by not forcing up core voltages too high.

If you are not going to be running your CPU at 100% load all the time
(very few people do except real hard core gamers or those doing
scientific modelling on a 24hr basis), and with effective colling in
place, your CPU should last as long as any other one. Let us be
realistic - you will probably replace it within 3-4 years anyways!

Larry Gagnon

"Nige" <nnnppn@btinternet.com> wrote in message
> I wonder how reliable overclocking is in terms of
> the life expectancy of the overclocked machine?

This is a "piece of string" question Nige. The answer is that if you do it
sensibly and intelligently, there's no reason to suspect that the working
life of the CPU or any other component will be noticeably compromised.

If you overvolt the fook out of it, or allow it to run excessively hot all
the time, then you may be in for an unpleasant surprise.

Ultimately every component is slightly different so at end of day it's down
to you to decide how much, if any, risk you want to take on.
--

Richard Hopkins
Cardiff, Wales, United Kingdom

On Sat, 1 Jan 2005 22:05:09 +0000 (UTC), "Nige"
<nnnppn@btinternet.com> wrote:

>Hi,

>I wonder how reliable overclocking is in terms of
>the life expectancy of the overclocked machine?

>for example pushing a 3gig machine to 4 gig isnt worthwhile
>if its only going to last 12 months, you might
>end up having to buy a new cpu and/or motherboard.

>Just wondering what sort of machine life expectancy
>users are getting?

>Thanks

>nige

If you need to worry about the replacement costs - don't do it.
Overclocking the CPU is not overlocking the core. Guarantee at
purchase only means the slug will run at a given clock / die
temperature.

We did it with the K5/6/6+/7 and now the K8, not to count, variously
the many video cards etc and et-al.

Fact of the matter is if you can't afford to lose at the table - don;t
make a bet! - all CPU's are not created equal - you may overclock a
dog that won't bark.

BoroLad

I've been overclocking for years with several machines. I have never had a
overclocking related failure even though I run my systems at 100% 24/7. The
only hardware failures were hard drives here and there.... I run SETI,
Folding@home, various distributed computing projects, etc. I overclock 2.4B
Pentiums to 3.06ghz all day long, just make sure you have good cooling.
YMMV.

A better question is to ask if there are any reliable

--
Phil Weldon, pweldonatmindjumpdotcom
For communication,

"Nige" <nnnppn@btinternet.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> I wonder how reliable overclocking is in terms of
> the life expectancy of the overclocked machine?
>
> for example pushing a 3gig machine to 4 gig isnt worthwhile
> if its only going to last 12 months, you might
> end up having to buy a new cpu and/or motherboard.
>
> Just wondering what sort of machine life expectancy
> users are getting?
>
> Thanks
>
> nige

A better question to ask is "Are there any reliable reports of Intel Pentium
4 CPPUs destroyed by heat?" Voltage kills, heat, for Intel CPUs slows and
eventually stops the CPU until the temperature falls (and, in the case of
the CPU locking up, until the system is also restarted.)

Rational levels of overclocking, to obtain more bang for the buck or for a
causual experiment, are at one end of the overclocking spectrum. All-out
"going for a record" overclocking at the extreme end does risk the CPU and
other components, but from operating voltages that exceed the ability of the
semiconductor junctions to resist shorting or opening.

--
Phil Weldon, pweldonatmindjumpdotcom
For communication,
replace "at" with the 'at sign'
replace "mindjump" with "mindspring."
replace "dot" with "."

"Nige" <nnnppn@btinternet.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> I wonder how reliable overclocking is in terms of
> the life expectancy of the overclocked machine?
>
> for example pushing a 3gig machine to 4 gig isnt worthwhile
> if its only going to last 12 months, you might
> end up having to buy a new cpu and/or motherboard.
>
> Just wondering what sort of machine life expectancy
> users are getting?
>
> Thanks
>
> nige

everything is different. For instance:

my TB1200 AXIA run at 1600mhz for 3 months, and now can only just run at
1200.
my XP2100s ran at 2300mhz for only 2 months, and now wont even boot at
XP1800 speeds

yet one of my XP2500s has been running at 2300 for 16months, and is still
going strong.
or ive had a P3 500 run at 700mhz 24/7 for 3 years without failure, and im
sure it still would work, if it wasnt for the fact i killed the MB with a
slip of a screwdriver.......

--
From Adam Webb, Overlag
www.tacticalgamer.com
"Nige" <nnnppn@btinternet.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> I wonder how reliable overclocking is in terms of
> the life expectancy of the overclocked machine?
>
> for example pushing a 3gig machine to 4 gig isnt worthwhile
> if its only going to last 12 months, you might
> end up having to buy a new cpu and/or motherboard.
>
> Just wondering what sort of machine life expectancy
> users are getting?
>
> Thanks
>
> nige

---

"Nige" <nnnppn@btinternet.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> I wonder how reliable overclocking is in terms of
> the life expectancy of the overclocked machine?
>
> for example pushing a 3gig machine to 4 gig isnt worthwhile
> if its only going to last 12 months, you might
> end up having to buy a new cpu and/or motherboard.
>
> Just wondering what sort of machine life expectancy
> users are getting?

A better question to ask is, has anyone actually heard of a CPU failing
after weeks or months, or maybe even less than a year of overclocking it? I
believe that overclocking shortens life expectancy so little that it doesn't
matter in its useful lifetime.

--
Phil, Squid-in-Training

Thomas

Distinguished
Jun 27, 2003

Nige wrote:
> I wonder how reliable overclocking is in terms of
> the life expectancy of the overclocked machine?
>
> for example pushing a 3gig machine to 4 gig isnt worthwhile
> if its only going to last 12 months, you might
> end up having to buy a new cpu and/or motherboard.
>
> Just wondering what sort of machine life expectancy
> users are getting?

Like the rest here said, keep voltage within safe bounds, and watch the
heat. I've also never had a component die because of overclocking.

I am doing watercooling for 9 months now. I have had a P4C 2.6 for a year
and a half, overclocked to 3.2 GHz. With air, I had to be careful, the temp
could jump to 58°C. Now with water, I am surprised if it reaches 40°C. The
same with my videocard; Ati 9500 non-pro 128 MB. It's running faster than a
9700. With only stock air cooling i could run it at 315 MHz, with water at
375, the temperature staying lower... This I have had for over a year now.

In the case of the videocard, overclocking really really helps the
performance. 100 MHz above stock! That is really (almost) free speed. (I got
the cooler at a very reasonable price..)

Thomas

Rich

"Nige" <nnnppn@btinternet.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> I wonder how reliable overclocking is in terms of
> the life expectancy of the overclocked machine?
>
> for example pushing a 3gig machine to 4 gig isnt worthwhile
> if its only going to last 12 months, you might
> end up having to buy a new cpu and/or motherboard.
>
> Just wondering what sort of machine life expectancy
> users are getting?
>
> Thanks
>
> nige

My Prescott 3E is running at 3.6 GHz for a 962MHz FSB.
Under load I might hit 40C.
Shes a cool runner because of my location setup.
No, I'm not in an igloo but I am situated by a window where adequate cooling
fans and air benefit the overclock nicely.
I think its cool to have nature do the job instead of my poswer bill. :)

RS

Spajky

On Sat, 1 Jan 2005 22:05:09 +0000 (UTC), "Nige"
<nnnppn@btinternet.com> wrote:

>I wonder how reliable overclocking is in terms of
>the life expectancy of the overclocked machine?

it is totally reliable if is done properly! IMHO very slowly & wisely
& not esagerating in anything !!!

>Just wondering what sort of machine life expectancy
>users are getting?

not so much they should, since are unpatient doing that & not using
common sense with achieving long term bettter results (knowledge) &
force stuff up too much & relieing only to sinthetic benchmarks.

Common problem is because of too much heat, failing caps on MoBo (even
if they are not that bad sort ones ...)

Happy New Year!
--
Regards & Happy Holidays Everyone, SPAJKY ®
E-mail AntiSpam: remove ##

morgana

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2005

Nige wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I wonder how reliable overclocking is in terms of
> the life expectancy of the overclocked machine?
>
> for example pushing a 3gig machine to 4 gig isnt worthwhile
> if its only going to last 12 months, you might
> end up having to buy a new cpu and/or motherboard.
>
> Just wondering what sort of machine life expectancy
> users are getting?
>
> Thanks
>
> nige

The machine I'm using now is a mildly (+25%) overclocked Celeron400 and
it's still running cool enough (core +8degC over what it was before).
OTOH, my P5/MMX machine with M2-PR333 won't overclock (and besides which
it doesn't have thermal sensors)

How long do you expect to keep the machine anyway?

That raises a question. How accurate are the CPU temperature sensors?

--
SmorPgan. ashAleMy@SparadiPse.neAt.nMz
(no SPAM no space)

Spajky

On Thu, 06 Jan 2005 11:59:48 +1300, MorganA <morgana@came.lot> wrote:

>That raises a question. How accurate are the CPU temperature sensors?

they are quite accurate, but the problem is that people do not know
where are they situated on the MoBo especially if are SMD stuff (& is
difficult to see if it is an ordinary resistor or NTC) or if the MoBo
reads CPU temps from inner term.diode.

Also depends of programming (via Bios) the HMon chip ...
--
Regards & Happy New Year Everyone, SPAJKY ®
E-mail AntiSpam: remove ##