P4PE 800mhz upgrade?

gerry

I am running this MB with 2.4mhz 533 cpu and pc 3200 memory. Is it true
that the board can be
upgraded to 800mhz by using the latest bios and a P4 800mhz cpu with
400mhz ddr memory?
If so can I use higher speed cpu's such as 3.2 or 3.4? And will the
system overclock easily?

http://www.asus.com/support/cpusupport/cpusupport.aspx

Select the Socket 478 board, then the P4PE.

Asus claims that you can use an 800 MHz FSB CPU, if you have BIOS 1006
installed (1005 is listed as OK for some chips), with two limitations:

1) You may only use a single PC3200 (DDR400) DIMM, and

2) The CPU must be a Northwood (c suffix) rather than a Prescott (e suffix).

I don't know about overclocking. The single DIMM requirement sounds like
things may be close to the ragged edge as it stands.

Might I suggest a nice 865PE mainboard, like the P4P800 family, instead? The
dual channel memory capability would be a plus, along with running a chipset
that is intended for 800 MHz FSB CPUs (including Prescotts, with a new
enough BIOS).

HTH.

Bob Knowlden

"Gerry" <gja1@pop.erols.com> wrote in message
>I am running this MB with 2.4mhz 533 cpu and pc 3200 memory. Is it true
>that the board can be
> upgraded to 800mhz by using the latest bios and a P4 800mhz cpu with
> 400mhz ddr memory? If so can I use higher speed cpu's such as 3.2 or 3.4?
> And will the system overclock easily?

"Gerry" <gja1@pop.erols.com> wrote in message...
>I am running this MB with 2.4mhz 533 cpu and pc 3200 memory. Is it
> true that the board can be upgraded to 800mhz by using the latest bios
> and a P4 800mhz cpu with 400mhz ddr memory?

Some 845PE boards are capable of running stably at 200MHz FSB and slightly
higher, while some aren't. You may get it to work, but then again you may
not.

> If so can I use higher speed cpu's such as 3.2 or 3.4?

Provided you use the Northwood 3.2C or 3.4C's, yeah, given the caveats
above. Prescott (3.2E/3.4E) is probably a no-no, but that's no problem as
Northwoods are faster anyway.

> And will the system overclock easily?

No, you're missing the point. Running the board at 200MHz is *already*
overclocking it to a major degree. You are unlikely to make the system go
much further. If you want to overclock an 800MHz CPU, an 875P or 865PE based
board is what you want. You also get dual channel memory capability that
way, which makes a big difference to tehe Pentium 4's performance.
--

Richard Hopkins
Cardiff, Wales, United Kingdom

"Richard Hopkins" <richh@dsl.nospam.co.uk> wrote in message
> "Gerry" <gja1@pop.erols.com> wrote in message...
>>I am running this MB with 2.4mhz 533 cpu and pc 3200 memory. Is it
>> true that the board can be upgraded to 800mhz by using the latest bios
>> and a P4 800mhz cpu with 400mhz ddr memory?
>
> Some 845PE boards are capable of running stably at 200MHz FSB and slightly
> higher, while some aren't. You may get it to work, but then again you may
> not.
>
>> If so can I use higher speed cpu's such as 3.2 or 3.4?
>
> Provided you use the Northwood 3.2C or 3.4C's, yeah, given the caveats
> above. Prescott (3.2E/3.4E) is probably a no-no, but that's no problem as
> Northwoods are faster anyway.
>
>> And will the system overclock easily?
>
> No, you're missing the point. Running the board at 200MHz is *already*
> overclocking it to a major degree. You are unlikely to make the system go
> much further. If you want to overclock an 800MHz CPU, an 875P or 865PE
> based board is what you want. You also get dual channel memory capability
> that way, which makes a big difference to tehe Pentium 4's performance.
> --
>

> Richard Hopkins
> Cardiff, Wales, United Kingdom
> (replace .nospam with .com in reply address)
>
> The UK's leading technology reseller www.dabs.com
> Get the most out of your digital photos www.dabsxpose.com

The relevant link on the ASUS site is:

http://www.asus.com.tw/support/cpusupport/fsb800.aspx

I have to say that OC-ing on my trust old P4PE has never been stratospheric.
I could never get its 2.4 Northwood past 2.7/2.8GHz. Recently got a 865
based Soltek board took it straight to 2.9/3.0GHz no problem. Same processor
same (noname) DDR400 memory.

Pete