Testing Prescott Celeron

alex

I want to test if a Prescott Celeron 2.4 GHz can run on Gigabyte 8IDX
i845 motherboard which officially does not support it. Can I possibly
destroy something by trying it?
Thanks,
Alex

"Alex" <al3x@gmx.de> wrote in message

> I want to test if a Prescott Celeron 2.4 GHz can run on Gigabyte 8IDX
> i845 motherboard which officially does not support it. Can I possibly
> destroy something by trying it?
> Thanks,
> Alex

No, you probably won't hurt anything.
But you'll only get 1.8 GHz from it if you cant run @ 133.25 FSB
or 533 Bus Speed.
For more info, visit
http://processorfinder.intel.com/scripts/list.asp
Or for Gigabyte.. Visit
http://www.giga-byte.com/Motherboard/Products/Products_GA-8IDX.htm
Check bios updates, I don't know if they include a 533 update or not.

Hope this helps..

Denny. ;-) :)

alex

I can run FSB @133 MHz.. I'm just concerned about how would
motherboard behave if doesn't support FMB (Flexible Motherboard) 2.0
and VRM (Voltage Regulator Module) 10.0 specifications which are
required for Prescott core. I wanted to test Prescott Celeron @2.4 GHz
and I don't know if there is a danger to fry the motherboard.
The problem is that this kind of information is not possible to find
on official web sites and I couldn't find anything about personal
experiences. I have had Gigabyte boards for 10 years now and still
didn't receive not a single response from their technical support :(

Thank you very much,

Alex

> I can run FSB @133 MHz.. I'm just concerned about how would
> motherboard behave if doesn't support FMB (Flexible Motherboard) 2.0
> and VRM (Voltage Regulator Module) 10.0 specifications which are
> required for Prescott core. I wanted to test Prescott Celeron @2.4 GHz
> and I don't know if there is a danger to fry the motherboard.
> The problem is that this kind of information is not possible to find
> on official web sites and I couldn't find anything about personal
> experiences. I have had Gigabyte boards for 10 years now and still
> didn't receive not a single response from their technical support :(
>
> Thank you very much,
>
> Alex
>

> On Wed, 12 Jan 2005 15:05:18 -0800, "Dennis E Strausser Jr"
> <dstrausser33@comcast.net> wrote:
>
> >"Alex" <al3x@gmx.de> wrote in message
> >>
> >> I want to test if a Prescott Celeron 2.4 GHz can run on Gigabyte 8IDX
> >> i845 motherboard which officially does not support it. Can I possibly
> >> destroy something by trying it?
> >> Thanks,
> >> Alex
> >>
> >No, you probably won't hurt anything.
> >But you'll only get 1.8 GHz from it if you cant run @ 133.25 FSB
> > or 533 Bus Speed.
> >For more info, visit
> >http://processorfinder.intel.com/scripts/list.asp
> >Or for Gigabyte.. Visit
> >http://www.giga-byte.com/Motherboard/Products/Products_GA-8IDX.htm

> >Check bios updates, I don't know if they include a 533 update or not.
This was the Best Suggestion I made, & under a bios update, it lists near to
all P4 CPU's
Even the 800 Bus..
Maybe not every time, but this time I was right.
And Prescott Celeron 2.4 GHz, Is that a Celeron D 533, if it is, your all
set.
And you don't have to worry about your hardware, it is in the Support List.
For best performance though, I suggest getting a Northwood.

Denny. ;-) :)

> >Hope this helps..
> >
> >Denny. ;-) :)

Snip

Oops

I goofed

Don't listen to me on this one..

Why not get a new MB??

Try Asus

Denny..

alex

Well, then we don't need newsgroups anymore :))

Thanks,
Alex

On Thu, 13 Jan 2005 01:08:43 -0800, "Dennis E Strausser Jr"

"Dennis E Strausser Jr" <dstrausser33@comcast.net> wrote in message...
> Oops
>

> I goofed
>

> Don't listen to me on this one..

No change there then. Dennis, if you don't know WTF you're talking about and
can't give any constructive advice, why don't you just keep it zipped?
Giving people "advice" that may result in them either wasting their time or
buying stuff they don't need/want isn't exactly helpful is it?

Admittedly the confession about your overclocking experiment getting you
into trouble at work was rather funny, but that doesn't excuse your
behaviour, or undo the damage you've done. Admittedly if someone chooses to
follow your "advice" they have to accept a large amount of the
responsibility for any consequences, but if you choose to come here and
behave like a prick, don't be surprised, or complain, when people treat you
like one.

Your last thread resulted in several participants who didn't have any
opinion of you at all coming away thinking of you as a bit of a twat. In
what way are your more recent posts supposed to persuade us that anything
has changed?

> Why not get a new MB??
>
> Try Asus

That's useful.
--

Richard Hopkins
Cardiff, Wales, United Kingdom

"Alex" <al3x@gmx.de> wrote in message...
> I want to test if a Prescott Celeron 2.4 GHz can run on Gigabyte
> 8IDX i845 motherboard which officially does not support it. Can
> I possibly destroy something by trying it?

Tricky. You may need someone with personal experience of this board who's
already tried it.

It's unlikely that you'd break anything, but at the same time, there are
questions as to whether the motherboard would set the correct voltage for
the CPU. If it didn't, the result should be a non-POST.

Do Gigabyte host a forum or any similar method of finding out whether this
is a feasible option?

If you can get it to POST, the TDP of the Celeron D 2.4 is 73W, so that in
itself shouldn't be an insurmountable problem for a motherboard designed to
run 80W+ Northwoods.
--

"Richard Hopkins" <richh@dsl.nospam.com> skrev i en meddelelse
> "Alex" <al3x@gmx.de> wrote in message...
> > I want to test if a Prescott Celeron 2.4 GHz can run on Gigabyte
> > 8IDX i845 motherboard which officially does not support it. Can
> > I possibly destroy something by trying it?
>
> Tricky. You may need someone with personal experience of this board who's
> already tried it.

I didn´t have a Gigabyte board, but I´d try to, if I were you.

I used to run a P4 2,8B (533) with an Asus P4B266 (FSB 400 board, i845D
chipsetl),

http://taiwan.asus.com.tw/products/mb/socket478/p4b266/overview.htm

BTW: Due to the CPU/MEM 3:4 divider it was stable up to 350mhz mem bandwith
with some PC 3200.

G.

"N´far" <rudiNOSPAM@mail.dk> wrote in message...
> I didn´t have a Gigabyte board, but I´d try to, if I were you.
>
> I used to run a P4 2,8B (533) with an Asus P4B266 (FSB 400 board,
> i845D chipsetl),

Unfortunately that experience isn't too relevant to Alex's situation. We
already know that a Northwood 533FSB CPU will run on his board. What isn't
so clear is whether a Prescott CPU will work.
--

"Richard Hopkins" <richh@dsl.nospam.com> wrote in message
> "N´far" <rudiNOSPAM@mail.dk> wrote in message...
> > I didn´t have a Gigabyte board, but I´d try to, if I were you.
> >
> > I used to run a P4 2,8B (533) with an Asus P4B266 (FSB 400 board,
> > i845D chipsetl),
>
> Unfortunately that experience isn't too relevant to Alex's situation. We
> already know that a Northwood 533FSB CPU will run on his board. What isn't
> so clear is whether a Prescott CPU will work.
Very true Richard Hopkins.
It would be nice if
http://www.giga-byte.com/Motherboard/Support/CPUSupportList/CPUSupportList_G
A-8IDX.htm
Listed the support list to the F10 Bios.
Only thing that seems clear is, same thing that Richard already said.
It will take a 533 MHz bus "Northwood"

Sorry man, cant give any more info then Richard can.
If you like Gigabyte so much, how would you like a
P4 board with full support for the Prescott, for very
little $$
I cant get rid of it, and any1 I know from work or other
as soon as I say I got AMD boards @ home, they ask about those.
I have but one, but got more then 2 offers for it already.
If I were to do this though, it would be an eBay buy it now thing.
& would send you the link to it.
Nothings wrong with it, I just don't use it.
Anyways, rambling on again.
If I misspeled anything, yeah well, I don't feel like fixing it..

Denny. ;-) :)

> --
>

> Richard Hopkins
> Cardiff, Wales, United Kingdom
> (replace .nospam with .com in reply address)
>
> The UK's leading technology reseller www.dabs.com

alex

Thanks Denny,

One of the reasons why I didn't want to buy a new motherboard is that
I have tons of SDRAM installed on my 8IDX, I just felt sorry to ditch
that all together. I just needed a faster CPU. I'm not a gamer (and I
find it insane to change hardware faster then the socks :)

Take care,
Alex

On Fri, 14 Jan 2005 12:18:21 -0500, "Dennis E Strausser Jr"

> Thanks Denny,
>
> One of the reasons why I didn't want to buy a new motherboard is that
> I have tons of SDRAM installed on my 8IDX, I just felt sorry to ditch
> that all together. I just needed a faster CPU. I'm not a gamer (and I
> find it insane to change hardware faster then the socks :)
>
> Take care,
> Alex
Ah, with the F10 Bios it. I Said, & so did Richard.

< <Listed the support list to the F10 Bios.> >
< <Only thing that seems clear is, same thing that Richard already said.> >
< <It will take a 533 MHz bus "Northwood" > >
On the Support list it does list 2.8C as N/A
But this is with F8 Bios, not F10 bios.
F10 Bios lists support for
F10 2002/9/17 Support 0F27 CPU with micro code 27h
P4B 2.8 GHz (533MHz Bus) GHz = CPUID String 0F27h
Using PC100 / or PC133 won't give you near the Ram Bandwidth that you'll
get with DDR Memory.
http://www.giga-byte.com/Motherboard/Products/Products_GA-8IG1000%20Pro%20(R
ev%201.0).htm
Look @ the CPU Support List.
I don't know whats with P4-Prescott-Celeron D 2.93G Listed
- -
Every other CPU in 478 Pin lists as ok.
NewEgg http://www.newegg.com/app/SearchProductResult.asp?Submit=Go&DEPA=0
Not a bad price for any of them.
If I put Mine on eBay, it will be OEM, I'm not putting anything along with
it.
So an easy half is all I'm looking to get for it.
Whats worse, my word that everything works is all you get.
That's why I listed newegg.com's page of boards like it.
You can go somewhere other then newegg, just it's the first place off the
top of my head.

Denny.

> On Fri, 14 Jan 2005 12:18:21 -0500, "Dennis E Strausser Jr"
> <dstrausser33@comcast.net> wrote:
>

> >"Richard Hopkins" <richh@dsl.nospam.com> wrote in message

> >> Unfortunately that experience isn't too relevant to Alex's situation.
We
> >> already know that a Northwood 533FSB CPU will run on his board. What
isn't
> >> so clear is whether a Prescott CPU will work.
> >Very true Richard Hopkins.
> >It would be nice if
>
>http://www.giga-byte.com/Motherboard/Support/CPUSupportList/CPUSupportList_
> >A-8IDX.htm
> > Listed the support list to the F10 Bios.
> >Only thing that seems clear is, same thing that Richard already said.
> >It will take a 533 MHz bus "Northwood"
> >
> >Sorry man, cant give any more info then Richard can.
> >If you like Gigabyte so much, how would you like a
> > P4 board with full support for the Prescott, for very
> > little $$
> >I cant get rid of it, and any1 I know from work or other
> > as soon as I say I got AMD boards @ home, they ask about those.
> >I have but one, but got more then 2 offers for it already.
> >If I were to do this though, it would be an eBay buy it now thing.
> >& would send you the link to it.
> >Nothings wrong with it, I just don't use it.
> >Anyways, rambling on again.
> >If I misspeled anything, yeah well, I don't feel like fixing it..
> >
> >Denny. ;-) :)
> >
> >> --
> >>

> >> Richard Hopkins
> >> Cardiff, Wales, United Kingdom
> >> (replace .nospam with .com in reply address)
> >>
> >> The UK's leading technology reseller www.dabs.com

Dave

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2003

"Alex" <al3x@gmx.de> wrote in message

> Thanks Denny,
>
> One of the reasons why I didn't want to buy a new motherboard is that
> I have tons of SDRAM installed on my 8IDX, I just felt sorry to ditch
> that all together. I just needed a faster CPU. I'm not a gamer (and I
> find it insane to change hardware faster then the socks :)

Wow ;-) The next time you take a shower or bath, should be due soon, the
new year is here, I suggest you scrub a bit harder, and use soap this time!
;-). Those socks may not be socks but the mere memory of socks! ;-)

Dave

alex

Well, in theory DDRAM should be twice as fast as SDRAM at the same
frequency, but in real applications the difference is way smaller, and
in my applications absolutely insignificant. No wonder, DDRAM is
basically the same technology. I will upgrade then when something
really revolutionary comes out :))

Alex

On Sat, 15 Jan 2005 09:58:41 GMT, "Dave" <dave2972@hotmail.com> wrote:

>"Alex" <al3x@gmx.de> wrote in message
>>
>> Thanks Denny,
>>
>> One of the reasons why I didn't want to buy a new motherboard is that
>> I have tons of SDRAM installed on my 8IDX, I just felt sorry to ditch
>> that all together. I just needed a faster CPU. I'm not a gamer (and I
>> find it insane to change hardware faster then the socks :)
>
>Wow ;-) The next time you take a shower or bath, should be due soon, the
>new year is here, I suggest you scrub a bit harder, and use soap this time!
>;-). Those socks may not be socks but the mere memory of socks! ;-)
>
>Dave

alex

Ooops, sorry I've just realized that I said something really sinful
for alt.comp.hardware.OVERCLOCKING :)

Alex

"Alex" wrote in message...
> Well, in theory DDRAM should be twice as fast as SDRAM at
> the same frequency, but in real applications the difference is way
> smaller,

What, exactly, do you mean? With optimal CPU bandwidth matching, memory
controller design, the memory bandwidth of DDR SDRAM does scale almost
exactly by two, provided timings are equal. That doesn't mean your
applications will all run twice as fast, as there are other factors
affecting overall system performance - not least the speed of your hard
disk, and the speed of your fingers on the keyboard.

> No wonder, DDRAM is basically the same technology.

Lol, if you want to use that criticism, you can level it at virtually
everything that's happened since the original IBM PC was released. It's
largely all the same basic stuff, just more, faster, wider.

> I will upgrade then when something really revolutionary comes
> out :))

If that's the way you look at things, you'll be stuck with your current
system until either organic or optically driven processors are on the
market.

I didn't realise at the outset you were talking about a PC133 based system.
If I'd known, my initial response on this thread would probably have been
different.

Regular SDRAM and the Pentium 4 platform was a shitty combination, even when
it was current. The problem you have right now is that there's very little
point upgrading your processor, as your slow memory subsystem effectively
shackles the extra speed of the CPU.

If you are genuinely interested in extra performance, upgrading your
processor, motherboard and memory subsystem together *would* be a worthwhile
option. If you're not prepared to do this, I'd suggest that there would be
little point spending out on the Celeron processor. In the context of your
current platform, you will gain very little, even if you can get it to work
properly.

BTW, please try and avoid feeding our resident troll/idiot/court jester
Dennis. It will only encourage him.
--

Richard Hopkins
Cardiff, Wales, United Kingdom

<Snip>

> BTW, please try and avoid feeding our resident troll/idiot/court jester
> Dennis. It will only encourage him.
That's ok Richard, for once I made a good Suggestion, if he
don't want to use it, I give up.
> --
>

> Richard Hopkins
> Cardiff, Wales, United Kingdom
> (replace .nospam with .com in reply address)
>
> The UK's leading technology reseller www.dabs.com

Yikes!!!, I thought I was being bad there for a while.
I guess in this world you'll always meet some1 worse.
Denny. ;-) :)

alex

On Sat, 15 Jan 2005 17:33:06 -0000, "Richard Hopkins"
<richh@dsl.nospam.com> wrote:

>"Alex" wrote in message...
>> Well, in theory DDRAM should be twice as fast as SDRAM at
>> the same frequency, but in real applications the difference is way
>> smaller,
>
>What, exactly, do you mean? With optimal CPU bandwidth matching, memory
>controller design, the memory bandwidth of DDR SDRAM does scale almost
>exactly by two, provided timings are equal. That doesn't mean your
>applications will all run twice as fast, as there are other factors
>affecting overall system performance - not least the speed of your hard
>disk, and the speed of your fingers on the keyboard.

Memory bandwidth you are talking about it is purely theoretic.That
would be if all memory transfers would be consisting of copying large
unfragmented blocks of data. Latencies have bigger influence on
performance and they are basically the same. Therefore in real life
the improvement of pure memory subsystem performance (if you leave out
"the speed of my fingers" :) is closer to something like 10-15%
Look for example at this MPEG Encoding benchmarks (which is actually
very dependant of memory bandwidth, that is - best possible case for
DDRAM):
http://www6.tomshardware.com/motherboard/20011217/i845d-07.html

>> No wonder, DDRAM is basically the same technology.
>
>Lol, if you want to use that criticism, you can level it at virtually
>everything that's happened since the original IBM PC was released. It's
>largely all the same basic stuff, just more, faster, wider.

I just wanted to say that architectural improvements were relatively
minor.

>> I will upgrade then when something really revolutionary comes
>> out :))
>
>If that's the way you look at things, you'll be stuck with your current
>system until either organic or optically driven processors are on the
>market.

No, I'll be stuck with my system until software I want to run becomes
too demanding. That is not so good for the economy :) , but nothing to
worry there are enough of other people who get brainwashed to buy this
or that on daily basis :)

Thanks,

Alex

alex

Re: "Dennis E Strausser Jr"

OK, now I got it right:
Your main PC usage is in running useless >>synthetic<< benchmarks
I've tried that once but after couple of iterations it got really
boring. There are so many other interesting things you can do with
your PC :)

Seriously, my point was that people shell out so much money for the
marketing hype.
The difference in speed when running real-life applications is
neglecting comparing to the price premium people pay for it.
There are of course applications which really need every bit of power,
but 95% of people out there are just victims of marketing hype.

But one thing I have to admit: thanks to your financial support
technology is progressing so quickly, so keep it on ! :)
(so I may I get tempted to upgrade sooner then I thought)

>And 25 FPS is not even full dvd format,
>dvd format is 29.970
> and or a little more, and it's what I used to do my tests, NOT 25 FPS.

I an not an expert for DVD but:
DVD PAL Format = 720x576 @25 FPS
DVD NTSC Format = 720x480 @29.97FPS
in other words the same bandwidth because of NTSC vertical
resolution..

>WHY The Hell Am I Replying to a Troll>!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?
>I Crush U Now, OK?!?!?!?!?!?!

>Am I trying to make an ASS out of you,,,, hm, YES!!!!!
>And did without trying. (TROLL)

How old are you ? I'll tell to your mamma how naughty boy you are :)
You better go to alt.comp.lamers and leave
alt.comp.hardware.overclocking to true hardware experts.

> Re: "Dennis E Strausser Jr"
>
> OK, now I got it right:
> Your main PC usage is in running useless >>synthetic<< benchmarks
> I've tried that once but after couple of iterations it got really
> boring. There are so many other interesting things you can do with
> your PC :)
>
> Seriously, my point was that people shell out so much money for the
> marketing hype.
> The difference in speed when running real-life applications is
> neglecting comparing to the price premium people pay for it.
> There are of course applications which really need every bit of power,
> but 95% of people out there are just victims of marketing hype.
>
> But one thing I have to admit: thanks to your financial support
> technology is progressing so quickly, so keep it on ! :)
> (so I may I get tempted to upgrade sooner then I thought)
>
> >And 25 FPS is not even full dvd format,
> >dvd format is 29.970
> > and or a little more, and it's what I used to do my tests, NOT 25 FPS.
>
> I an not an expert for DVD but:
> DVD PAL Format = 720x576 @25 FPS
> DVD NTSC Format = 720x480 @29.97FPS
> in other words the same bandwidth because of NTSC vertical
> resolution..
>
> >WHY The Hell Am I Replying to a Troll>!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?
> >I Crush U Now, OK?!?!?!?!?!?!
>
> >Am I trying to make an ASS out of you,,,, hm, YES!!!!!
> >And did without trying. (TROLL)
>
> How old are you ? I'll tell to your mamma how naughty boy you are :)

God, if my mom could only remember something.

> You better go to alt.comp.lamers and leave
> alt.comp.hardware.overclocking to true hardware experts.
>
> Alex

:) Too old to be acting like I am.

Yes, DVD PAL Format is 720x576 @25 FPS
DVD NTSC Format = 720x480 @29.97FPS
What I was trying to point out was that Toms HWG
Was using Half PAL & Half NTSC
720x480x25FPS?
My benchmarks I recorded were not done on Benchmark Software.
Besides the Sandra Marks anyway.
The FPS Benchmarks were done in real time.
The fact is though still the same, not a lot of ppl have the $$ for
systems
like a P4EE and other.
I don't have the money to be spending 689$ each for true 3.2 GHz Xeon's
Anyways, good luck in what ever you decide to do.

Denny. ;-) :)

As for a cheap upgrade, you could get one of those boards I listed, and keep
the rest of your configuration you have till your ready to upgrade further.

Denny. ;-) :)

"Dennis E Strausser Jr" <dstrausser33@comcast.net> wrote in news:41ec87c8$1
_2@alt.athenanews.com:

>> How old are you ? I'll tell to your mamma how naughty boy you are :)
>
> God, if my mom could only remember something.

If she had only remembered her birth control.

"Dennis E Strausser Jr" <dstrausser33@comcast.net> wrote in message ...
> God, if my mom could only remember something.

She's not really senile Dennis, she just told you she was, so she'd have a
plausible reason to deny being related to you.
--

Richard Hopkins
Cardiff, Wales, United Kingdom

"Mitch Crane" replied to Dennis the village idiot thus...
>> God, if my mom could only remember something.
>
> If she had only remembered her birth control.

Rofl, poyfect! :-D