Pentium 2.4B/533o n 875 chipset MB

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.overclocking (More info?)

I have a Pentium 4 2.4 B /533 Northwood CPU and 1 Gig of OCZ DDR500 Gold Rev
2 dual channel memory running on a GA-8PE667 Ultra Gigabyte Mb with an Intel
845PE chipset. The Fsb is at 167 and Cpu running at 3.0 Ghz Solid.

To use the full capabilities of the DDR500 ram I would like to upgrade to an
Intel 875 chipset MB with Dual channel ram capability.

My question is, Will my 2.4 B/533 cpu run on a MB with an 800 buss speed?
if so any recommendations for a good MB with raid onboard.

--
Regards, Rene Lamontagne
7 answers Last reply

    "Rene Lamontagne" wrote in message...
    >I have a Pentium 4 2.4 B /533 Northwood CPU and 1 Gig of OCZ
    > DDR500 Gold Rev 2 dual channel memory running

    Take it that this memory is actually two 512MB DIMMs? There's not really
    any such thing as memory that's inherently "dual channel" - there's a lot of
    marketeering going on there.

    > To use the full capabilities of the DDR500 ram I would like to upgrade
    > to an Intel 875 chipset MB with Dual channel ram capability.

    You're not going to be able to use the full capabilities of your memory
    with this CPU, no matter what motherboard you use. To get the best out of
    DDR500 you'd need a processor capable of being overclocked into the
    250-260MHz FSB area - like a 2.4C, 2.6C or a really sweet 2.8C.

    > My question is, Will my 2.4 B/533 cpu run on a MB with an 800 buss
    > speed?

    Yes, of course it'll run. 875P boards are backwards compatible with 533 and
    (Northwood) 400FSB CPU's, but to get the most out of your memory you'd need
    it running at 250MHz FSB (or a little faster), which your processor
    obviously isn't capable of.

    What you should be able to do is run your memory bus asynchronously, with
    the memory running *faster* than the FSB, at either a 4:5 or 3:4 ratio. If
    we also assume that your CPU will run a little faster than it does at the
    moment, you could end up running an FSB in the 167-180MHz range, which will
    give you a maximum memory bus (with the 3:4 multiplier) of between 223 and
    240MHz.

    Unfortunately you won't be able to use all that memory bandwidth, due to the
    lower FSB constraining the P4's bus, but the overall effect of the upgrade
    should be an easily noticeable performance boost, assuming of course that
    you have a pair of DIMMs right now.

    > if so any recommendations for a good MB with raid onboard.

    Personal experience is that Abit's IC7-G or IC7 Max3 are excellent products.
    If you don't need legacy serial or parallel ports, the Max3 version is even
    more overclockable, more stable. If you do, the -G is 99% as good. Daresay
    you'll get equally good reports about Asus' and other manufacturers' boards,
    primarily because 875P is a bloody good, now well proven chipset and so it's
    relatively easy to build a good board with it.

    Most 875 boards will have at least one RAID controller, as most will be sold
    with Intel's own ICH5R southbridge, which has SATA-RAID built in. Many also
    have additional PCI controllers, although you should use the Intel one first
    due to its PCI bypass function. Possibly worth pointing out though that if
    you're running a RAID array on your current board, you will almost certainly
    need to recreate it, while if you have parallel ATA disks, you'll obviously
    need converters to use them on the Intel (or any other make of) SATA
    controller.
    --

    Richard Hopkins
    Cardiff, Wales, United Kingdom

  2. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.overclocking (More info?)

    The 875 and 865 chipset boards will work with your CPU but you more than likely
    wont get to 200 FSB. I have the KNXP board and it works very well. DOUG
  3. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.overclocking (More info?)

    Richard, Thank you very much for the timely and concise information

    "Richard Hopkins" <richh@dsl.nospam.com> wrote in message
    > "Rene Lamontagne" wrote in message...
    >>I have a Pentium 4 2.4 B /533 Northwood CPU and 1 Gig of OCZ
    >> DDR500 Gold Rev 2 dual channel memory running
    >
    > Take it that this memory is actually two 512MB DIMMs? There's not really
    > any such thing as memory that's inherently "dual channel" - there's a lot
    > of
    > marketeering going on there.

    Yes, two 512 MB sticks Gold rev 2 rated at 2.5-3-3-7 supposedly matched (
    sold as kit by OCZ).

    >> To use the full capabilities of the DDR500 ram I would like to upgrade
    >> to an Intel 875 chipset MB with Dual channel ram capability.
    >
    > You're not going to be able to use the full capabilities of your memory
    > with this CPU, no matter what motherboard you use. To get the best out of
    > DDR500 you'd need a processor capable of being overclocked into the
    > 250-260MHz FSB area - like a 2.4C, 2.6C or a really sweet 2.8C.

    Yes, I understand.

    >> My question is, Will my 2.4 B/533 cpu run on a MB with an 800 buss
    >> speed?
    >
    > Yes, of course it'll run. 875P boards are backwards compatible with 533
    > and
    > (Northwood) 400FSB CPU's, but to get the most out of your memory you'd
    > need
    > it running at 250MHz FSB (or a little faster), which your processor
    > obviously isn't capable of.

    Yes, My 2.4 B tops out at 172 on the 8PE667 ultra board at 1.600 volts.

    > What you should be able to do is run your memory bus asynchronously, with
    > the memory running *faster* than the FSB, at either a 4:5 or 3:4 ratio. If
    > we also assume that your CPU will run a little faster than it does at the
    > moment, you could end up running an FSB in the 167-180MHz range, which
    > will give you a maximum memory bus (with the 3:4 multiplier) of between
    > 223 and
    > 240MHz.

    The Gigabyte board has a Host/Dram clock ratio of 2.0 or 2.5 which I am
    using at 2.5 for a memory clock speed of 209 or 418 effective.

    > Unfortunately you won't be able to use all that memory bandwidth, due to
    > the
    > lower FSB constraining the P4's bus, but the overall effect of the upgrade
    > should be an easily noticeable performance boost, assuming of course that
    > you have a pair of DIMMs right now.
    >
    >> if so any recommendations for a good MB with raid onboard.
    >
    > Personal experience is that Abit's IC7-G or IC7 Max3 are excellent
    > products.
    > If you don't need legacy serial or parallel ports, the Max3 version is
    > even
    > more overclockable, more stable. If you do, the -G is 99% as good. Daresay
    > you'll get equally good reports about Asus' and other manufacturers'
    > boards,
    > primarily because 875P is a bloody good, now well proven chipset and so
    > it's
    > relatively easy to build a good board with it.

    No, I don't need serial or parallel ports at all, USB and 1394 cover my
    needs.
    The The Abit IC7-G and the Asus P4C-800 deluxe are available here in
    Winnipeg.

    > Most 875 boards will have at least one RAID controller, as most will be
    > sold
    > with Intel's own ICH5R southbridge, which has SATA-RAID built in. Many
    > also
    > have additional PCI controllers, although you should use the Intel one
    > first
    > due to its PCI bypass function. Possibly worth pointing out though that if
    > you're running a RAID array on your current board, you will almost
    > certainly
    > need to recreate it, while if you have parallel ATA disks, you'll
    > obviously
    > need converters to use them on the Intel (or any other make of) SATA
    > controller.

    Yes, running a Raid 0 on the onboard Promise 20276 raid controller but when
    I upgrade M/Bs I always reformat and do a fresh install of the OS (XP-SP2)
    in this case. maybe extra work, but I find I get a much more stable system .
    Anyway I have plenty of time, I'm 71 and retired.
    > --
    >

    > Richard Hopkins
    > Cardiff, Wales, United Kingdom
    > (replace .nospam with .com in reply address)
    >
    > The UK's leading technology reseller www.dabs.com

    So my choices are as follows.

    Purchace an 875P based M/B now,
    Purchace a P4 2.6-2.8 C a little later as funds permit.
    OR wait a little longer and go for Socket LGA 775 on a 925X board with a new
    CPU and DDR2 memory (much more expensive) but maybe I can get lucky and sell
    my existing setup.

    Again thanking you for your time and valuable advice.

    Regards, Rene Lamontagne
  4. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.overclocking (More info?)

    "Courseyauto" <courseyauto@aol.com> wrote in message
    > The 875 and 865 chipset boards will work with your CPU but you more than
    > likely
    > wont get to 200 FSB. I have the KNXP board and it works very well. DOUG

    Thanks Doug, Yes you are correct See Richard's post and my reply.

    Regards, Rene Lamontagne
  5. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.overclocking (More info?)

    "Rene Lamontagne" wrote in message...
    > Yes, two 512 MB sticks Gold rev 2 rated at 2.5-3-3-7 supposedly
    > matched (sold as kit by OCZ).

    This "matched" business is where the marketing kicks in. In most cases
    "matched" means they're two sticks of memory that come off the assembly line
    one after the other. Given the uniformity of performance of modern memory,
    you'd likely get as good as the same effect buying two single DIMMs out of
    the same box in the shop, although if buying two sticks together resulted in
    them being cheaper, it was a good deal.

    > Yes, My 2.4 B tops out at 172 on the 8PE667 ultra board at 1.600 volts.

    If your temps are well under control, you can probably go a little higher
    than 1.600 without risking the chip's life to any noticeable extent.

    > The Gigabyte board has a Host/Dram clock ratio of 2.0 or 2.5 which
    > I am using at 2.5 for a memory clock speed of 209 or 418 effective.

    Yeah, these 2.0 and 2.5 ratios equate in Abit speak to 1:1 and 4:5
    respectively.

    > No, I don't need serial or parallel ports at all, USB and 1394 cover my
    > needs.

    ....In which case the IC7 Max3 would suit you down to the ground.

    > The The Abit IC7-G and the Asus P4C-800 deluxe are available here in
    > Winnipeg.

    IIRC the P4C800 series doesn't have the Intel CSA Gigabit ethernet
    controller, uses a PCI solution instead. While this isn't a huge omission,
    it's still a bit of a cheap move on what is supposedly a high end board.

    > Yes, running a Raid 0 on the onboard Promise 20276 raid controller but
    > when I upgrade M/Bs I always reformat and do a fresh install of the OS in
    > this case. maybe extra work, but I find I get a much more stable system .

    That's a good habit to have. In this case you may just about get away
    without having to do a full reinstall, but as you say, taking this step
    anyway will likely pay dividends in the longer run.

    > So my choices are as follows.
    >
    > Purchace an 875P based M/B now,
    > Purchace a P4 2.6-2.8 C a little later as funds permit.
    > OR wait a little longer and go for Socket LGA 775 on a 925X board with
    > a new CPU and DDR2 memory (much more expensive) but maybe I can get
    > lucky and sell my existing setup.

    The one thing I'd tend to advise against would be going for the Socket
    775/925/DDR2 solution at this time. Putting it bluntly, the current range of
    Socket 775 CPU's and DDR2 memory simply doesn't perform well enough to
    justify its existence if you have access to an 875/Northwood "C"/fast DDR
    solution.

    You've already got very good memory, so shelling out again to get some
    (likely slower) DDR2 sticks doesn't seem like a good exchange. If you can
    get hold of a good 875/865 and Northwood HT CPU now (or soonish), this setup
    will last you a good long time - more than long enough to see you through
    the period of platform instability that we're currently in the early stages
    of.
    --

    Richard Hopkins
    Cardiff, Wales, United Kingdom

  6. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.overclocking (More info?)

    > "Rene Lamontagne" wrote in message...
    >> Yes, two 512 MB sticks Gold rev 2 rated at 2.5-3-3-7 supposedly
    >> matched (sold as kit by OCZ).
    >
    > This "matched" business is where the marketing kicks in. In most cases
    > "matched" means they're two sticks of memory that come off the assembly
    > line one after the other. Given the uniformity of performance of modern
    > memory, you'd likely get as good as the same effect buying two single
    > DIMMs out of the same box in the shop, although if buying two sticks
    > together resulted in them being cheaper, it was a good deal.

    Yes, 2 sticks with the same specs is about it, The deal was an RMA on 2
    sticks of PC 3500 which would not play together, They did not have any in
    stock so they sent me this PC 4000 kit instead. (which was decent of Them).

    >> Yes, My 2.4 B tops out at 172 on the 8PE667 ultra board at 1.600 volts.

    Will

    > If your temps are well under control, you can probably go a little higher
    > than 1.600 without risking the chip's life to any noticeable extent.

    Yes, temps are good, 35 Deg C at idle and 52 Deg C at full load, Stock intel
    cooler, will bump it up some more.

    >> The Gigabyte board has a Host/Dram clock ratio of 2.0 or 2.5 which
    >> I am using at 2.5 for a memory clock speed of 209 or 418 effective.
    >
    > Yeah, these 2.0 and 2.5 ratios equate in Abit speak to 1:1 and 4:5
    > respectively.
    >
    >> No, I don't need serial or parallel ports at all, USB and 1394 cover my
    >> needs.
    >
    > ...In which case the IC7 Max3 would suit you down to the ground.
    >
    >> The The Abit IC7-G and the Asus P4C-800 deluxe are available here in
    >> Winnipeg.
    >
    > IIRC the P4C800 series doesn't have the Intel CSA Gigabit ethernet
    > controller, uses a PCI solution instead. While this isn't a huge omission,
    > it's still a bit of a cheap move on what is supposedly a high end board.
    >
    >> Yes, running a Raid 0 on the onboard Promise 20276 raid controller but
    >> when I upgrade M/Bs I always reformat and do a fresh install of the OS in
    >> this case. maybe extra work, but I find I get a much more stable system .
    >
    > That's a good habit to have. In this case you may just about get away
    > without having to do a full reinstall, but as you say, taking this step
    > anyway will likely pay dividends in the longer run.
    >
    >> So my choices are as follows.
    >>
    >> Purchace an 875P based M/B now,
    >> Purchace a P4 2.6-2.8 C a little later as funds permit.
    >> OR wait a little longer and go for Socket LGA 775 on a 925X board with
    >> a new CPU and DDR2 memory (much more expensive) but maybe I can get
    >> lucky and sell my existing setup.
    >
    > The one thing I'd tend to advise against would be going for the Socket
    > 775/925/DDR2 solution at this time. Putting it bluntly, the current range
    > of Socket 775 CPU's and DDR2 memory simply doesn't perform well enough to
    > justify its existence if you have access to an 875/Northwood "C"/fast DDR
    > solution.
    >
    > You've already got very good memory, so shelling out again to get some
    > (likely slower) DDR2 sticks doesn't seem like a good exchange. If you can
    > get hold of a good 875/865 and Northwood HT CPU now (or soonish), this
    > setup will last you a good long time - more than long enough to see you
    > through the period of platform instability that we're currently in the
    > early stages

    I agrree, The socket 775 would be expensive and further I'm not sure I like
    the mechanical structure of the inverted socket and pin setup, (I may be
    wrong) Seems like a poor idea.
    I think i will pick up an 875 board, probably the Abit IC7 and get the new
    cpu in the spring, I hate to give up this new DDR500 memory, only a week
    old.

    > of.
    > --
    >

    > Richard Hopkins
    > Cardiff, Wales, United Kingdom
    > (replace .nospam with .com in reply address)
    >
    > The UK's leading technology reseller www.dabs.com

    Thanks again for your input Richard, I really appreciate your expertise.

    --
    Regards, Rene Lamontagne
  7. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.overclocking (More info?)

    "Rene Lamontagne" <rlamont@shaw.ca> wrote in message
    > Yes, 2 sticks with the same specs is about it, The deal was an
    > RMA on 2 sticks of PC 3500 which would not play together,
    > They did not have any in stock so they sent me this PC 4000
    > kit instead. (which was decent of Them).

    That's a handy exchange. :-)

    > Yes, temps are good, 35 Deg C at idle and 52 Deg C at full load, Stock
    > intel cooler, will bump it up some more.

    Keep an eye on those load temps though. 52 is okay but I wouldn't let it go
    much higher before looking at a more effective thermal solution.

    > I agrree, The socket 775 would be expensive and further I'm not
    > sure I like the mechanical structure of the inverted socket and pin
    > setup, (I may be wrong) Seems like a poor idea.

    Given the requirement to have 775 pins in the first place, the LGA solution
    is a better way of doing it than ZIF, I don't have any fundamental problem
    with Intel for adopting this design.

    The problem I do have with LGA775 right now is that going with this form
    factor also ties you into a Prescott. From a performance/overclocking point
    of view there's little point buying one when you still have the option of a
    Northwood "C", a chip that offers better clock for clock performance in
    conjunction with lower power consumption, lower heat output and similar
    (overclocked) clock speed ceilings.

    When you add this to the fact that you will almost certainly be unable to
    run Intel's forthcoming dual core LGA775 CPU's on the current range of
    915/925 motherboards, and that DDR main memory currently offers a much
    better price/performance delta than DDR2, IMO going Prescott/925/DDR2 now
    would have offered you negligible performance gains for a high level of
    investment, and without any real additional amount of future proofing to
    justify the cost.

    > I think i will pick up an 875 board, probably the Abit IC7 and get the new
    > cpu in the spring, I hate to give up this new DDR500
    > memory, only a week old.

    Yeah, definitely. Only thing to be aware of is the Northwood CPU supply
    situation. These are getting increasingly scarce in the channel, so if you
    want one, it may be better to jump sooner than wait for the time they're
    rare enough to start selling at a premium.
    --

    Richard Hopkins
    Cardiff, Wales, United Kingdom

Hardware Chipsets CPUs Pentium Overclocking