The 4G Chevy Volt: How Apps Tie Into the Car Experience

Status
Not open for further replies.

alexmx

Distinguished
Oct 15, 2009
[citation][nom]samuelspark[/nom]Change to nano superconductors first to get more miles per charge.[/citation]

sure! and while we are at it, make it 10 USD cheaper

G

I've been doing this for a year now. Flush mounted a galaxy tab 7 in my dash where you would normally find the stock car nav system. Run a car app to give me extra large icons, and use wifi hotspot on my phone. Presto magico, full internet android functionality in my car. Stream from Slacker/Pandora, use google maps, youtube/netflix when I'm waiting at the drive through, you name it, I can do it. Even Angry birds.

G

What the hell ever happened to just looking out the window?

Don't get me wrong, the tech is definitely cool and all, but this is one of those things that just seems way better in concept than in practice. Kids already get enough electronic garbage shoved down their throat day in and day out, do we really need to force YouTube and Angry Birds on them in the car, too? And aren't we already having problems with people texting while driving? This concept just seems to encourage it...

And if there is anything I've learned from this industry in the past 2 years, it's don't trust any business who tells you you are protected by "strong encryption." The last thing I need is some fool to hack into my car and start controlling my home electronics...

Maybe I'm just old fashioned, but this seems like just another attempt to convince a consumer to purchase a product they don't have a need for.

livebriand

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2011
[citation][nom]tlm man[/nom]What the hell ever happened to just looking out the window?[/citation]
Ever driven down I-5 (or something similar). Just miles and miles of farmland... it gets boring REALLY fast! That said, I think this is stupid - for a long car trip, I'll just use a smartphone or something.

assasin32

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2008
I am part of the younger generation that they are targeting this crap at probably. I want knobs, something I don't have to look at and hit several different buttons if I want to change something simple like volume or AC. And you can't replace having knobs with having some type of tactile feeback it's working. It's simple, effective, cheap, reliable, and most importantly doesn't distract you from driving to do something freaking simple.

I am fine if they want to put GPS in cars and such just as long as they quit making it replace the entire center console to replace it with a shiney new toy thats not as effective as the old way of doing things.

Yeah my little rant on not just this but what most car manufacturers are doing now days it seems.

arlandi

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2007
what we need is a car that can increase the safety in driving from point a to point b. not a car that can entertain and take our mind (and concentration) from driving. i'm not going to put a video player in my car, and i'm certainly not going to put this in my car.

danwat1234

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2008
[citation][nom]boiler1990[/nom]With the 4G on, I bet the car will only go 10 miles on electric instead of the rated 35 miles...[/citation]
Actually the 2013 model is rated for 38 miles EPA.

Status
Not open for further replies.