What are the maximum temperatures for Intel and AMD proces..

Hello

I'm going to build microprocessor driven speed regulator for CPU fan. And i
don't know the maximum temperature that CPU can tolerate. Does anyone know?
greetings
6
answers
Last reply
More about what maximum temperatures intel proces

    szlovak wrote:

    > Hello
    >
    > I'm going to build microprocessor driven speed regulator for CPU fan. And i
    > don't know the maximum temperature that CPU can tolerate. Does anyone know?
    > greetings

    You might get some good answers also, from one of the hardware groups, like
    comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips.

    This is probably minimal help here:

    http://www.amd.com/us-en/assets/content_type/white_papers_and_tech_docs/25325.pdf

    It's an AMD whitepaper -- Athlon MP thermal testing results. The methodology
    section has a couple pictures, and a little description of how they made
    measurements.

    Bryan
  2. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.overclocking (More info?)

    Bryan Hoover napisa³(a):

    > szlovak wrote:
    >
    > > Hello
    > >
    > > I'm going to build microprocessor driven speed regulator for CPU fan. And i
    > > don't know the maximum temperature that CPU can tolerate. Does anyone know?
    > > greetings
    >
    > You might get some good answers also, from one of the hardware groups, like
    > comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips.
    >
    > This is probably minimal help here:
    >

    > http://www.amd.com/us-en/assets/content_type/white_papers_and_tech_docs/25325.
    > pdf
    >
    > It's an AMD whitepaper -- Athlon MP thermal testing results. The methodology
    > section has a couple pictures, and a little description of how they made
    > measurements.
    >
    > Bryan

    thanks
  3. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.overclocking (More info?)

    szlovak wrote:
    > I'm going to build microprocessor driven speed regulator for CPU fan.
    > And i don't know the maximum temperature that CPU can tolerate. Does
    > anyone know?

    How are you going to be measuring the temperature? For AMD CPUs (socket-A
    and K8), the maximum CORE temperature varies between 100 deg C and 70 deg C
    depending on what the CPU is. Since it's very unlikely you're going to be
    measuring the core temperature, you have to aim significantly lower than
    this. If you give a few more details on how you're planning to measure it I
    can probably give a more accurate answer.

    --
    Michael Brown
    Add michael@ to emboss.co.nz ---+--- My inbox is always open

    Michael Brown napisa³(a):

    > szlovak wrote:
    > > I'm going to build microprocessor driven speed regulator for CPU fan.
    > > And i don't know the maximum temperature that CPU can tolerate. Does
    > > anyone know?
    >
    > How are you going to be measuring the temperature? For AMD CPUs (socket-A
    > and K8), the maximum CORE temperature varies between 100 deg C and 70 deg C
    > depending on what the CPU is. Since it's very unlikely you're going to be
    > measuring the core temperature, you have to aim significantly lower than
    > this. If you give a few more details on how you're planning to measure it I
    > can probably give a more accurate answer.

    I'm going to do this with Microchip microcontroller (PIC12F or C) and with
    termoresistor or diode (as the sensor) with other parts etc. Temperature sensor
    will bo placed on the CPU radiator
  5. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.overclocking (More info?)

    szlovak wrote:
    >> szlovak wrote:
    >>> I'm going to build microprocessor driven speed regulator for CPU
    >>> fan.
    [...]
    > Temperature sensor will bo placed on the CPU radiator.

    CPU radiator = heatsink I presume? Whereabouts on the heatsink?
    Thermal-taped onto the underside of it close to the die, or attached to one
    of the outer edges? Assuming you're cooling a K7, then if you're on the
    underside close to the die, and using a copper-based heatsink, you could be
    looking at getting up to 50 deg C under full-load conditions (depending on
    your heatsink). If you're on the outer edge of the heatsink then you're
    quite possibly looking at 35 to 40 deg C, again heatsink (and airflow)
    depending.

    The best way to do it is to hook everything up and see what the
    microcontroller reads at full load (ie: BurnK7 left running for half an hour
    before measurement) with the sides of the case on, etc. Now make the
    microcontroller regulate the fan to keep the temperature below that. One
    thing you'll have to be a bit careful of is that the thermistor is not
    affected by airflow through the case. For example, having the thermistor
    poorly attached on the side of the heatsink will give "bad" readings as it
    will be cooled by the airflow off the heatsink, and the heatsink will be
    much hotter than what is being read.

    --
    Michael Brown
    Add michael@ to emboss.co.nz ---+--- My inbox is always open
  6. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.overclocking (More info?)

    Michael Brown napisa³(a):

    > szlovak wrote:
    > [...]
    > > Temperature sensor will bo placed on the CPU radiator.
    >
    > CPU radiator = heatsink I presume? Whereabouts on the heatsink?
    > Thermal-taped onto the underside of it close to the die, or attached to one
    > of the outer edges? Assuming you're cooling a K7, then if you're on the
    > underside close to the die, and using a copper-based heatsink, you could be
    > looking at getting up to 50 deg C under full-load conditions (depending on
    > your heatsink). If you're on the outer edge of the heatsink then you're
    > quite possibly looking at 35 to 40 deg C, again heatsink (and airflow)
    > depending.
    >
    > The best way to do it is to hook everything up and see what the
    > microcontroller reads at full load (ie: BurnK7 left running for half an hour
    > before measurement) with the sides of the case on, etc. Now make the
    > microcontroller regulate the fan to keep the temperature below that. One
    > thing you'll have to be a bit careful of is that the thermistor is not
    > affected by airflow through the case. For example, having the thermistor
    > poorly attached on the side of the heatsink will give "bad" readings as it
    > will be cooled by the airflow off the heatsink, and the heatsink will be
    > much hotter than what is being read.

    Talking about temperature I meant that I will monitore it on th heatsink , yes
    , but I would rather measure it by the mainboard and then see differences on
    heatsink . For test i will use overclocked celeron 566@850 MHz. This speed
    regulator will also work well under normal conditions, without overclocking, to
    silent the CPU fan. So now, knowing that there is other temperatures on
    heatsink and mainboard I will only take under attention this from mainboard. I
    don't know for now how to mount Resistor or other sensor proffesionaly, but
    surely on the not ventilated side of heatsink. Is the temperature showed by
    mainboard the core temperature with good approximation? If so , I will not
    overcross 70 degrees, because my regulator will be universal, highest
    temperature will cause fan to run full speed

Overclocking Hardware AMD Intel CPUs