Idle temps for 2.4c

I just built two computers for my church's office, and am wondering if
the coolers are working properly. One CPU is running in the 90'sF, the
other around 110 degrees. This is before any software install- I was
just in the bios to set up boot devices.
Is this a normal temp, or is something wrong? I do plan to attempt
overclocking, so would there be an advantage to using Arctic Silver
on the retail box cooler? If so, do I need to scrape the stuff off
that is there now?

thanks.
10 answers Last reply
More about idle temps

    My 2.4 is at 37C-100F right now. OC'd to 2.7
    Cooly

    jester_s1 wrote:
    > I just built two computers for my church's office, and am wondering if
    > the coolers are working properly. One CPU is running in the 90'sF, the
    > other around 110 degrees. This is before any software install- I was
    > just in the bios to set up boot devices.
    > Is this a normal temp, or is something wrong? I do plan to attempt
    > overclocking, so would there be an advantage to using Arctic Silver
    > on the retail box cooler? If so, do I need to scrape the stuff off
    > that is there now?
    >
    > thanks.

  2. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.overclocking (More info?)

    "Cooly" <dcolahan@nospamcox.net> wrote in message
    > My 2.4 is at 37C-100F right now. OC'd to 2.7
    > Cooly
    >
    > jester_s1 wrote:
    > > I just built two computers for my church's office, and am wondering if
    > > the coolers are working properly. One CPU is running in the 90'sF, the
    > > other around 110 degrees. This is before any software install- I was
    > > just in the bios to set up boot devices.
    > > Is this a normal temp, or is something wrong? I do plan to attempt
    > > overclocking, so would there be an advantage to using Arctic Silver
    > > on the retail box cooler? If so, do I need to scrape the stuff off
    > > that is there now?
    > >
    > > thanks.

    Hm?
    Mine idles near to room temp.

    I don't know.

    My Xeon stays around 35 & 36 C on Idle.

    Denny. ;-) :-)
  3. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.overclocking (More info?)

    The idle temperature for a Pentium 4 2.4C, when using Windows 2000
    Professional or Windows XP should be about the same temperature as the air
    inside the system case. When at idle using these operating systems the CPU
    is issued a series of low power consumption instructions and dissipates only
    a few watts of heat. The important temperature for the CPU is the
    temperature under load, though the idle temperature can be of diagnostic
    use. Without knowing the 'under load' temperature and the room ambient air
    temperature it is impossible to suggest more than that the air flow through
    your system case may be poor.

    --
    Phil Weldon, pweldonatmindjumpdotcom
    For communication,

    "jester_s1" <e_mayhan@hotmail-dot-com.no-spam.invalid> wrote in message
    > I just built two computers for my church's office, and am wondering if
    > the coolers are working properly. One CPU is running in the 90'sF, the
    > other around 110 degrees. This is before any software install- I was
    > just in the bios to set up boot devices.
    > Is this a normal temp, or is something wrong? I do plan to attempt
    > overclocking, so would there be an advantage to using Arctic Silver
    > on the retail box cooler? If so, do I need to scrape the stuff off
    > that is there now?
    >
    > thanks.

  4. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.overclocking (More info?)

    The case temp was 75 degrees. The idle temp I was talking about was
    just from looking at the bios with no OS installed yet.
    Any ideas about using the thermal grease on the boxed cooler? It's a
    pain to take the heatsinks off again to apply it but I can if I need
    to.
  5. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.overclocking (More info?)

    The case temp was 75 degrees. The idle temp I was talking about was
    just from looking at the bios with no OS installed yet.
    Any ideas about using the thermal grease on the boxed cooler? It's a
    pain to take the heatsinks off again to apply it but I can if I need
    to.
  6. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.overclocking (More info?)

    > The case temp was 75 degrees. The idle temp I was talking about was
    > just from looking at the bios with no OS installed yet.
    > Any ideas about using the thermal grease on the boxed cooler? It's a
    > pain to take the heatsinks off again to apply it but I can if I need
    > to.

    There's many things to consider here. Listen to "Phil Weldon"

    2. For a P4C, that's Very hot.
    Mine runs around 21-23 C Idle with a room temp of 74ºF
    My P4 gets up to about 39 or 43ºC Under load.
    My Xeon's I already said about, Temps are anywhere from 35-36
    & up to about 48C CPU1 And 53C CPU2 SmartFan kicks in @
    right about these temps, and it goes down a little.

    Try and reseat us CPU.
    Maybe even do what u suggested, go back to stock cooling.
    Those thermal pads do seem to do the job well enough.

    Denny. ;-) :-)
  7. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.overclocking (More info?)

    I'll reseat them and see what happens. I didn't use the grease yet
    because the stock cooler had the gummy stuff on it already.

    Any suggestions for seating technique? The last system I built was a
    slot 1 PII, which came already put together.

    Thanks for the info so far.
  8. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.overclocking (More info?)

    Thanks for the help, Phil.
    I am using the boxed Intel cooler. The fan was running around 2300 rpm
    when I checked the temp. I'll leave it alone until I get the OS
    installed and can monitor the temp under load.
    I am planning to OC the processor if I can get stable operation from
    it. I see little reason not to take advantage of the free speed if I
    can do so at no cost.
  9. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.overclocking (More info?)

    > I'll reseat them and see what happens. I didn't use the grease yet
    > because the stock cooler had the gummy stuff on it already.
    >
    > Any suggestions for seating technique? The last system I built was a
    > slot 1 PII, which came already put together.
    >
    > Thanks for the info so far.

    If ur using the Stock Cooling, that should be fine.

    The Thermal pad I said about is Thermal paste.
    It's a white if I remember right.

    If when you said 75º if you meant 75ºF
    that's about right.
    That would still be 20 some in C.
    You could also try 3rd party thermal grease.
    People say that Artic Silver is good.

    If it is reading it as 75ºF I would touch the Heat Sink.
    If it's just warm by a little, then your MB's Monitor is (WAY) Off.

    Denny. ;-) :-)
  10. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.overclocking (More info?)

    "jester_s1" wrote in part
    "I am planning to OC the processor if I can get stable operation from it. I
    see little reason not to take advantage of the free speed if I can do so at
    no cost."

    I am glad you are taking a 'wait and see attitude'. The fan speed is
    certainly not near its maximum, so, without the operating system installed,
    the 35 degrees C (95 F) CPU idle temperature seems reasonable.

    As for overclocking; I wouldn't do it. No matter how stable overclocked
    operation seems, office requirements really don't even demand stock speeds
    from a Pentium 4 2.4C. I doubt any user would notice performance
    differences between 2.4 GHz and 3.2 GHz. For office work, hard drive
    performance and memory size can make more difference than the jump from 2.4
    to 3.2 GHz. In a small office with no technical support staff any systems
    should save the temperature safety margin for things like dust bunnies
    clogging the heatsink and ventilation grilles rather than for overclocking.
    It would be of little use if the overclocked CPU ran at a throttled down
    speed because of dust degradation of the cooling system. Especially since
    the user would likely
    a. not realize the throttled down mode was active
    b. not realize WHAT speed the CPU was running.

    Finally, if you are using a website to post, you should be aware its Usenet
    newsgroup posting is broken. Each of your replies shows (by indentation) as
    a reply to your own initial message rather than the message you intend
    response. In addition, there is no information from the message you reply
    to, so the thread becomes hard to follow, and will be especially so when
    viewed in Usenet archives (at Google.) Using your own newsgroup reader to
    post (Microsoft Outlook Express or third-party news reader) as well as read
    newsgroup messages would be helpful for you and others.

    --

    > Thanks for the help, Phil.
    > I am using the boxed Intel cooler. The fan was running around 2300 rpm
    > when I checked the temp. I'll leave it alone until I get the OS
    > installed and can monitor the temp under load.
    > I am planning to OC the processor if I can get stable operation from
    > it. I see little reason not to take advantage of the free speed if I
    > can do so at no cost.

Overclocking