Wired and Wireless together

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windows.networking.wireless (More info?)

Ok here is my problem... I have been told and I have found through research
that I can have wired and wireless together. And as it stands that is how I
am accessing the net right now. We have two desktops with Windows XP home
that are ethernet and one laptop with Windows XP home with wireless. The
laptop is not a permanent feature of the network it is only included during
breaks from college and weekends. Since the internet sharing is successful I
am happy but even after doing the network setup wizard the main ethernet
(where the router and internet starts) computer can see the other ethernet
computer but gets access denied and the other ethernet computer cannot see
the main one. On top of that I cannot get any of the computers to see the
wireless laptop. Can anyone help me out??? What it boils down to is I want
to get the two desktops to see each other and have access to each other and I
want to get my laptop to be seen and accessed by the two desktops and vice
verse.
3 answers Last reply
More about wired wireless together
  1. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windows.networking.wireless (More info?)

    norsehallra wrote:

    > Ok here is my problem... I have been told and I have found through
    > research
    > that I can have wired and wireless together. And as it stands that is
    > how I
    > am accessing the net right now. We have two desktops with Windows XP
    > home
    > that are ethernet and one laptop with Windows XP home with wireless.
    > The laptop is not a permanent feature of the network it is only
    > included during
    > breaks from college and weekends. Since the internet sharing is
    > successful I am happy but even after doing the network setup wizard
    > the main ethernet (where the router and internet starts) computer can
    > see the other ethernet computer but gets access denied and the other
    > ethernet computer cannot see
    > the main one. On top of that I cannot get any of the computers to see
    > the
    > wireless laptop. Can anyone help me out??? What it boils down to is I
    > want to get the two desktops to see each other and have access to each
    > other and I want to get my laptop to be seen and accessed by the two
    > desktops and vice verse.

    This has nothing to do with wired/wireless. You probably have your
    firewalls misconfigured. Service Pack 2 automatically enables the
    Windows Firewall. If you are not running a third-party firewall, go to
    the Windows Firewall applet in Control Panel and enable File & Printer
    Sharing on the Exceptions tab. If you are using a third-party firewall
    (and have properly configured it to allow your lan traffic as Trusted),
    then turn the Windows Firewall off. You don't want two firewalls
    running, and a third-party program will be better than the WF. All
    firewalls must be properly configured to allow lan traffic as Trusted.

    If that doesn't solve your issue, here is a link to an excellent network
    troubleshooter by MVP Hans-Georg Michna. If you take the time to go
    through it, the t-shooter will pinpoint the problem area(s).

    http://www.michna.com/kb/wxnet.htm

    Malke
    --
    Elephant Boy Computers
    www.elephantboycomputers.com
    "Don't Panic!"
    MS-MVP Windows - Shell/User
  2. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windows.networking.wireless (More info?)

    Ok. I will try that. Is it also possible that I set up the wireless laptop
    wrong on the laptop itself and on the desktops? Because the laptop sees
    nothing and no other computer sees it, but it is sharing internet... I know I
    ran the wireless networking wizard and put it on my jump drive and then took
    the jump drive to the other computers and then back to the laptop like it
    said but still did not work... Is this a firewall issue as well?


    "Malke" wrote:

    > norsehallra wrote:
    >
    > > Ok here is my problem... I have been told and I have found through
    > > research
    > > that I can have wired and wireless together. And as it stands that is
    > > how I
    > > am accessing the net right now. We have two desktops with Windows XP
    > > home
    > > that are ethernet and one laptop with Windows XP home with wireless.
    > > The laptop is not a permanent feature of the network it is only
    > > included during
    > > breaks from college and weekends. Since the internet sharing is
    > > successful I am happy but even after doing the network setup wizard
    > > the main ethernet (where the router and internet starts) computer can
    > > see the other ethernet computer but gets access denied and the other
    > > ethernet computer cannot see
    > > the main one. On top of that I cannot get any of the computers to see
    > > the
    > > wireless laptop. Can anyone help me out??? What it boils down to is I
    > > want to get the two desktops to see each other and have access to each
    > > other and I want to get my laptop to be seen and accessed by the two
    > > desktops and vice verse.
    >
    > This has nothing to do with wired/wireless. You probably have your
    > firewalls misconfigured. Service Pack 2 automatically enables the
    > Windows Firewall. If you are not running a third-party firewall, go to
    > the Windows Firewall applet in Control Panel and enable File & Printer
    > Sharing on the Exceptions tab. If you are using a third-party firewall
    > (and have properly configured it to allow your lan traffic as Trusted),
    > then turn the Windows Firewall off. You don't want two firewalls
    > running, and a third-party program will be better than the WF. All
    > firewalls must be properly configured to allow lan traffic as Trusted.
    >
    > If that doesn't solve your issue, here is a link to an excellent network
    > troubleshooter by MVP Hans-Georg Michna. If you take the time to go
    > through it, the t-shooter will pinpoint the problem area(s).
    >
    > http://www.michna.com/kb/wxnet.htm
    >
    > Malke
    > --
    > Elephant Boy Computers
    > www.elephantboycomputers.com
    > "Don't Panic!"
    > MS-MVP Windows - Shell/User
    >
  3. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windows.networking.wireless (More info?)

    norsehallra wrote:

    > Ok. I will try that. Is it also possible that I set up the wireless
    > laptop wrong on the laptop itself and on the desktops? Because the
    > laptop sees nothing and no other computer sees it, but it is sharing
    > internet... I know I ran the wireless networking wizard and put it on
    > my jump drive and then took the jump drive to the other computers and
    > then back to the laptop like it said but still did not work... Is this
    > a firewall issue as well?
    >

    Quite possibly. Go through Mr. Michna's troubleshooter.

    Malke
    --
    Elephant Boy Computers
    www.elephantboycomputers.com
    "Don't Panic!"
    MS-MVP Windows - Shell/User
Ask a new question

Read More

Wireless Laptops Ethernet Card Wireless Networking