IP Not Renewing/Automatic Private Address?

I have been using an older compaq usb wireless adapter. Everything was
working well, but for whatever reason I cannot get online. There is a
connection, the WEP matches up, but the IP address is 169.254.xxx.xx and is
set up for "Automatic Private Address". I have renewed and released the IP a
hundred times, applied the winsock fix, but I cannot get past this. Is there
something I am missing?

Thanks

Malke

Poppa Earl wrote:

> I have been using an older compaq usb wireless adapter. Everything was
> working well, but for whatever reason I cannot get online. There is a
> connection, the WEP matches up, but the IP address is 169.254.xxx.xx
> and is set up for "Automatic Private Address". I have renewed and
> released the IP a hundred times, applied the winsock fix, but I cannot
> get past this. Is there something I am missing?
>
> Thanks

The 169.254.xxx.xx IP address indicates that your machine is expecting
to get an IP address from a DHCP server and is not finding one. How are
you getting online? Cable/dsl or dialup? Check to make sure your
wireless router is set to provide DHCP.

Malke
--
Elephant Boy Computers
www.elephantboycomputers.com

I'm using a motorola router with a cable modem connection. There are
currently 5 other devices working fine on the network. When I disconnect the
adapter after uninstalling and reinstalling, there is a long pause and then
nothing as far as an IP address. Thanks for the reply.

Poppa Earl

"Malke" wrote:

> Poppa Earl wrote:
>
> > I have been using an older compaq usb wireless adapter. Everything was
> > working well, but for whatever reason I cannot get online. There is a
> > connection, the WEP matches up, but the IP address is 169.254.xxx.xx
> > and is set up for "Automatic Private Address". I have renewed and
> > released the IP a hundred times, applied the winsock fix, but I cannot
> > get past this. Is there something I am missing?
> >
> > Thanks
>
> The 169.254.xxx.xx IP address indicates that your machine is expecting
> to get an IP address from a DHCP server and is not finding one. How are
> you getting online? Cable/dsl or dialup? Check to make sure your
> wireless router is set to provide DHCP.
>
> Malke
> --
> Elephant Boy Computers
> www.elephantboycomputers.com
> "Don't Panic!"
> MS-MVP Windows - Shell/User

Malke

Poppa Earl wrote:

> I'm using a motorola router with a cable modem connection. There are
> currently 5 other devices working fine on the network. When I
> disconnect the adapter after uninstalling and reinstalling, there is a
> long pause and then nothing as far as an IP address. Thanks for the
> reply.
>
> Poppa Earl
>
> "Malke" wrote:
>
>> Poppa Earl wrote:
>>
>> > I have been using an older compaq usb wireless adapter. Everything
>> > was working well, but for whatever reason I cannot get online.
>> > There is a connection, the WEP matches up, but the IP address is
>> > 169.254.xxx.xx and is set up for "Automatic Private Address". I
>> > have renewed and released the IP a hundred times, applied the
>> > winsock fix, but I cannot get past this. Is there something I am
>> > missing?
>> >
>> > Thanks
>>
>> The 169.254.xxx.xx IP address indicates that your machine is
>> expecting to get an IP address from a DHCP server and is not finding
>> one. How are
>> you getting online? Cable/dsl or dialup? Check to make sure your
>> wireless router is set to provide DHCP.

The long pause is because the adapter is looking for a DHCP server, not
finding one, and timing out. Look in your router settings to make sure
you aren't limited to only 5 connections. My original Linksys router
(many years ago) was set to only provide 5 connections. If this isn't
the case, I'd look at the older usb wireless adapter as the possible
cause. You can a) test it in another machine; or b) try a different
wireless adapter in your machine. Maybe it is just a case of the
hardware needing to be replaced.

Malke