PIII 733mhz vs. Celeron 566mhz

Last response: in Overclocking
a b K Overclocking
a b V Motherboard
February 4, 2005 2:39:30 AM

I have two motherboards with a PIII in one and a Celeron in the other.
I honestly don’t know the ups and downs of each, except that I heard
that Celerons are good for overclocking.
The motherboard that the PIII is in has 4 pci slots, while the other
has 3, so that’s one strength/weakness, and each has an agp slot.
Just so you know, I’ll probably be using the computer mostly for
internet and some online gaming, but nothing too advanced. I also have
a really bad multitasking habit when I’m on the internet, so that can
require some juice.
Whichever one I pick, I’ll probably overclock it a little to get the
most out of it, as long as it’s properly cooled.

Which one?

Topic URL: http://www.hardwareforumz.com/Overclocking-PIII-733mhz-...
Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse: http://www.hardwareforumz.com/eform.php?p=228639
Anonymous
a b K Overclocking
a b V Motherboard
February 4, 2005 7:31:06 AM

"cdoasis" wrote:
> I have two motherboards with a PIII in one and a Celeron in the other.
> I honestly don't know the ups and downs of each, except that I heard
> that Celerons are good for overclocking.
> The motherboard that the PIII is in has 4 pci slots, while the other
> has 3, so that's one strength/weakness, and each has an agp slot.
> Just so you know, I'll probably be using the computer mostly for
> internet and some online gaming, but nothing too advanced. I also have
> a really bad multitasking habit when I'm on the internet, so that can
> require some juice.
> Whichever one I pick, I'll probably overclock it a little to get the
> most out of it, as long as it's properly cooled.
>
> Which one?

Basically what you have are one of the best overclocking Intel products (the
Celeron 566) and one of the worst (Pentium III 733.)

First, start with the intended use. The 'multi-tasking' you mention is
probably much more sensitive to RAM size and hard drive throughput than to
CPU power (if you mean web browser, email, word processor, and playing
music, etc.)

Second, what are the motherboards? Depending the motherboards, it may be
easy or difficult to overclock. A Celeron 566 is a good overclocker (to
about 850 MHz when using a FSB speed of 100 MHz, 50% above stock.) But a
Pentium III 733 is difficult to overclock very much, since the FSB speed is
already 133 MHz, and you are unlikely to get much more than 850 MHz because
of motherboard and memory limitations.

For many purposes, the Pentium III 733 @ 733 MHz, with a 133 MHz FSB will
likely outperform a Celeron 566 @ 850 MHz with a 100 MHz FSB because of the
faster FSB AND because the L2 cache of the Pentium III 733 is twice the size
of the Celeron 566.

As for cooling, it certainly isn't worth spending money on additional
cooling (beyond $10 to $15 US) because the Pentium III 733 @ 733 MHz won't
perform much worse than a Pentium 733 MHz @ 850 MHz (and your motherboards
and memory may not allow that anyway.) Any application that won't perform
well with a Pentium 733 MHz likely won't show detectable improvement with a
Pentium III 733 @ 850 MHz.

If you had only the Celeron 566, then overclocking would be the way to go.
BUT, since you have the Pentium III 733, go with that, using as much of the
memory from the two systems as possible. Don't even bother to overclock for
performance because you could run into data corruption on your hard drive as
the PCI bus speed will be overclocked when you raise the FSB above 133 MHz
(the AGP bus speed also, but that is rarely a problem.)

--
Phil Weldon, pweldonatmindjumpdotcom
For communication,

!