Need advice on overclocking

I have the following hardware and was wondering how far I could overclock
safetly without adding any super duper cooling devices.

KINGSTON KVR333X64C25/512 512MB 32x64 PC2700 DDR RAM (better than 2100 2400)

ASUS P4PE/R/L/SATA Motherboard for Intel P4 478 Retail w/ Intel
Hyper-Threading Technology, SATA, Onboard LAN, Firewire IEEE1394, Serial ATA
SoundMAX Digital Audio System
***1st Intel chips that TRUELY support DDR333 PC2700***

Intel Pentium 4 2.4BGHz 512K 533MHz CPU Northwood P478 Processor Retail Box

MSI Ti4200-VTD8X (MS-8894-060) GeForce 4 Titanium 4200 DDR/SDRAM 128MB 8X
AGP Video-in TV-out Dual VGA CARD - RETAIL

No wrote:
> I have the following hardware and was wondering how far I could
> overclock safetly without adding any super duper cooling devices.

Of the CPU/MB/RAM configuration, I think it'll probably be your CPU that
will hold you back. The board is good up to a 200MHz (ish) FSB, the RAM at
least up to 166MHz FSB (probably good up to ~180 or so), but it'll take a
bit of luck/cooling to get the CPU much above 3GHz (corresponding to a FSB
of 166MHz).

As with all overclocking, each system is unique. You'll just have to try it
yourself and see.

[...]

--
Michael Brown

I have 4 antec case fans and right now my temps are cpu 33C MB 22C , how
much would you overclock this configuration and feel safe. Also are all the
overclocking setting done in my bios? if you have a very basic tutorial link
I would appreciate it.. I don't want to increase the speed a huge amount but
I would lie to get a nice little bump from this cpu seeing that it's about 2
1/2 years old.
If I bumped it up closer to 3 gig would I notice a big difference?

No wrote:
> I have 4 antec case fans and right now my temps are cpu 33C MB 22C ,
> how much would you overclock this configuration and feel safe.

Like I said, every system is different. The only way to answer that question
is to sit down at your machine and start trying things out. You are probably
in the best position to do that :)

> Also
> are all the overclocking setting done in my bios?

I haven't personally had experience with your particular motherboard, but
from what I've read it appears that this is the case.

> if you have a very
> basic tutorial link I would appreciate it.

I made a post a while ago that may be of help:
http://groups-beta.google.com/group/alt.comp.hardware.overclocking/msg/99360
26b49bace71

Sorta similar to your situation, where the CPU was most likely to be the
limiting factor.

[...]

--
Michael Brown

Experiment. Raise the FSB 5 mhz at a time 'til it won't boot.reset cmos, then
back off 5. Raise the vcore .25-.50v then repeat. Also raise Vdimm if you can
There are usually about 3 settings for vdimm.Sometimes more.