Beginner in need of help

Last response: in Overclocking
a b K Overclocking
February 8, 2005 4:42:47 PM

Hi all,

I'm wondering about all this over clocking stuff. I'm a complete
beginner with this.

I've built a few PCs, my PC at the moment is of the following spec:

Jetway P4X400DAZ motherboard, VIA chip set.

Pentium4 2400 MHz

1536Mb (1.5Gig) RAM - 2 sticks of Kingston PC3200 400MHz 512Mb, and 1
stick of unknown make PC3200 400MHz 512Mb. I'm assuming they're running
at 400MHz as they should?!

Sapphire Radeon 9550 256Mb Graphics Card

Maxtor 60gig HD, and a Fujitsu 13Gig HD

Samsung Combo Drive DVD ROM / CD Writer

Samsung 16x DL DVD Writer All formats.

In cooling, i have the genuine Intel heatsink, and a cheap LED fan in
the case side.

any more details required?

I was wondering how I go about over clocking? is it easy to do, what
would i O/C to? etc etc

Thanks in advance guys

Mark

More about : beginner

Anonymous
a b K Overclocking
February 8, 2005 5:21:37 PM

"MarkThommo" <MarkThommo_84@ntlworld.com> wrote in message...
> I'm wondering about all this over clocking stuff. I'm a complete beginner
> with this.

As always, the answer is to read, experiment and read some more.

> I've built a few PCs, my PC at the moment is of the following spec:
> Jetway P4X400DAZ motherboard, VIA chip set.
>
> Pentium4 2400 MHz

Is this a 400MHz, 533MHz, 800MHz, Prescott, Northwood CPU, what?

> 1536Mb (1.5Gig) RAM - 2 sticks of Kingston PC3200 400MHz
> 512Mb, and 1 stick of unknown make PC3200 400MHz 512Mb.

That's a bit of an odd combination. You may also find it limits the
overclockability of your system, depending on what CPU you're running.

> I'm assuming they're running at 400MHz as they should?!

You're far better placed to test that assumption than we are. If the board
is any cop, the POST screen should tell you the memory frequency. If it
doesn't, there are plenty of OS level utilities that will.

> I was wondering how I go about over clocking?

You overclock the CPU by raising the front side bus speed. However, doing so
will also alter the memory frequency. You must find the best compromise of
CPU and memory voltages, frequencies, timings and so-on.

> is it easy to do,

That largely depends on the feature set provided by your boad. Jetway
products are generally regarded as being more of the cheap and cheerful ilk
than the overclocker's first choice.

Provided your board gives you the options you need, it's easy to do provided
you are methodical, only changing one setting at a time and making a note of
the performance and stability.

> what would i O/C to?

That is an impossible question to answer, and the only person in a position
to do so is the person with first-hand access to the PC - i.e. you.
--

Richard Hopkins
Cardiff, Wales, United Kingdom