Fan Speed Modifications

pat

Expert

Hey everyone,

I just recently bought a fan with a speed controler. One of the ones that
mounts in a floppy bay. Its got a little knob to increase or decrease the
fan's speed.

I've got 2 other case fans that I'd like to have controlled by the same
speed controller. Am I correct in assuming that I can simply splice into the
power wires going into the speed controlled fan and take my power for the
other two case fans from there? Just splice all of the red wires with red
wires and black wires with black wires? Little electric tape and I'm good to
go?

On a related note, rather than cut up my new $20 fan and controler, how
about voltage moding the 2 fans in question? Which color is which voltage
rail? I think they're connected to red now, so if I just splice them onto
yellow instead of red, would that slow them down? Would I need to switch to
the other black wire too then? Any good articles out there about this stuff.
(I'll do myself a favor and google that question now and see what I find.)

Thanks for any input.

--
Pat

pat

Expert

"Pat" <none@nowhere.com> wrote in message news:420a3e4d$1_2@127.0.0.1...
> Hey everyone,
>
> I just recently bought a fan with a speed controler. One of the ones that
> mounts in a floppy bay. Its got a little knob to increase or decrease the
> fan's speed.
>
> I've got 2 other case fans that I'd like to have controlled by the same
> speed controller. Am I correct in assuming that I can simply splice into
> the power wires going into the speed controlled fan and take my power for
> the other two case fans from there? Just splice all of the red wires with
> red wires and black wires with black wires? Little electric tape and I'm
> good to go?
>
> On a related note, rather than cut up my new $20 fan and controler, how
> about voltage moding the 2 fans in question? Which color is which voltage
> rail? I think they're connected to red now, so if I just splice them onto
> yellow instead of red, would that slow them down? Would I need to switch
> to the other black wire too then? Any good articles out there about this
> stuff. (I'll do myself a favor and google that question now and see what I
> find.)
>
> Thanks for any input.
>
> --
> Pat

I hate being this guy. Should have searched before asking that second
question. Here's a link in case you're interested.
http://www.directron.com/moddictionary.html

But I'm still curious about whether or not I can splice into that fan speed
controler. And what exactly is that controller controling? Voltage? Watts?
Amps?

Is this at all dangerous, either to electrocute myself when doing it, or to
start my PC on fire when I plug it back in, or to blow my power supply /
motherboard / or anything else?

Pat

On Wed, 9 Feb 2005 10:49:26 -0600, "Pat" <none@nowhere.com> wrote:

>"Pat" <none@nowhere.com> wrote in message news:420a3e4d$1_2@127.0.0.1...
>> Hey everyone,
>>
>> I just recently bought a fan with a speed controler. One of the ones that
>> mounts in a floppy bay. Its got a little knob to increase or decrease the
>> fan's speed.
>>
>> I've got 2 other case fans that I'd like to have controlled by the same
>> speed controller. Am I correct in assuming that I can simply splice into
>> the power wires going into the speed controlled fan and take my power for
>> the other two case fans from there? Just splice all of the red wires with
>> red wires and black wires with black wires? Little electric tape and I'm
>> good to go?
>>
>> On a related note, rather than cut up my new $20 fan and controler, how
>> about voltage moding the 2 fans in question? Which color is which voltage
>> rail? I think they're connected to red now, so if I just splice them onto
>> yellow instead of red, would that slow them down? Would I need to switch
>> to the other black wire too then? Any good articles out there about this
>> stuff. (I'll do myself a favor and google that question now and see what I
>> find.)
>>
>> Thanks for any input.
>>
>> --
>> Pat
>>

>I hate being this guy. Should have searched before asking that second
>question. Here's a link in case you're interested.
>http://www.directron.com/moddictionary.html
>
>But I'm still curious about whether or not I can splice into that fan speed
>controler. And what exactly is that controller controling? Voltage? Watts?
>Amps?

Usually they are a variable resistor

>Is this at all dangerous, either to electrocute myself when doing it

Only if you are daft enough to leave it plugged into the mains with
the switch left on whilst doing it, any electical mods are best done
with the power off as the PSU is still actually live even if the
'puter is powered down (Only with ATX and above, old AT cases really
did power off)

>, or to
>start my PC on fire when I plug it back in, or to blow my power supply /
>motherboard / or anything else?

The only way to tell if it's safe is to know what current rating the
variable resistor is capable of handling, your fans should tell you
what current they draw each just add them up and if it's more than
the rating don't do it. Worst case if you over load the resistor is it
will overheat and possibly burnout (unlikely but possible)