Overclock a DELL PRECISION 450 workstation with dual Xeon

Hi I'm new to this board and would like to get into this overclocking
thing.
I have a DELL PRECISION 450 Workstation with Dual Xeon cpu's @ 2.66ghz
and 1gig of ram and wonder if and how to overclovk them to let's say
2.8ghz or 3ghz.
My system bios says that the cpu's max speed is 3ghz but running at
2.66 and I can't change the speed in the bis.
I have the Intel E7505 chipset.
5 answers Last reply
More about overclock dell precision workstation dual xeon

    "Amigaz" <jiggmaster@hotmail-dot-com.no-spam.invalid> wrote in message...
    > Hi I'm new to this board and would like to get into this
    > overclocking thing.

    I'm afraid Mr Dell doesn't like overclocking, and won't let you play.

    > I have a DELL PRECISION 450 Workstation with Dual Xeon
    > cpu's @ 2.66ghz and 1gig of ram and wonder if and how to
    > overclovk them to let's say 2.8ghz or 3ghz.

    The only way to overclock a recent Intel CPU is to raise the front side bus
    frequency. As you've already noticed, your motherboard doesn't offer you any
    way of doing this.

    > My system bios says that the cpu's max speed is 3ghz but running
    > at 2.66 and I can't change the speed in the bis.

    You can't change it, full stop. That's the way it is with Dell PC's, sorry.
    --

    Richard Hopkins
    Cardiff, Wales, United Kingdom

  2. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.overclocking (More info?)

    > Richard Hopkinswrote:
    "Amigaz" <jiggmaster@hotmail-dot-com.no-spam.invalid> wrote in
    message...
    > Hi I'm new to this board and would like to get into this
    > overclocking thing.

    I'm afraid Mr Dell doesn't like overclocking, and won't let you play.

    > I have a DELL PRECISION 450 Workstation with Dual Xeon
    > cpu's @ 2.66ghz and 1gig of ram and wonder if and how to
    > overclovk them to let's say 2.8ghz or 3ghz.

    The only way to overclock a recent Intel CPU is to raise the front
    side bus
    frequency. As you've already noticed, your motherboard doesn't offer
    you any
    way of doing this.

    > My system bios says that the cpu's max speed is 3ghz but running
    > at 2.66 and I can't change the speed in the bis.

    You can't change it, full stop. That's the way it is with Dell PC's,
    sorry.
    --

    Richard Hopkins
    Cardiff, Wales, United Kingdom

    Waaaahhh... :cry: lol

    Oh..well..
    Thanks for the info, guess I have to change the CPU's if I want to
    upgrade.
    The real bottleneck in the system now is my ATA-100 IDE interface
    which I can't understand how they could fit on this type of computer!
    :evil:
    Next step is to upgrade to a fast SCSI disk to have as my bootdisk.
  3. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.overclocking (More info?)

    > Hi I'm new to this board and would like to get into this overclocking
    > thing.
    > I have a DELL PRECISION 450 Workstation with Dual Xeon cpu's @ 2.66ghz
    > and 1gig of ram and wonder if and how to overclovk them to let's say
    > 2.8ghz or 3ghz.

    Dell's BIOS is proprietary and is set up so that zero overclocking settings
    are available or possible. You get a Dell, you run at one speed, period.
  4. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.overclocking (More info?)

    It's not the CPU.it's the motherboard.
    > > Richard Hopkinswrote:
    > "Amigaz" <jiggmaster@hotmail-dot-com.no-spam.invalid> wrote in
    > message...
    > > Hi I'm new to this board and would like to get into this
    > > overclocking thing.
    > >
    > I'm afraid Mr Dell doesn't like overclocking, and won't let you play.
    >
    > > I have a DELL PRECISION 450 Workstation with Dual Xeon
    > > cpu's @ 2.66ghz and 1gig of ram and wonder if and how to
    > > overclovk them to let's say 2.8ghz or 3ghz.
    > >
    > The only way to overclock a recent Intel CPU is to raise the front
    > side bus
    > frequency. As you've already noticed, your motherboard doesn't offer
    > you any
    > way of doing this.
    >
    > > My system bios says that the cpu's max speed is 3ghz but running
    > > at 2.66 and I can't change the speed in the bis.
    > >
    > You can't change it, full stop. That's the way it is with Dell PC's,
    > sorry.
    > --
    >

    > Richard Hopkins
    > Cardiff, Wales, United Kingdom
    > (replace nospam with pipex in reply address)
    >
    > The UK's leading technology reseller www.dabs.com
    >
    > Waaaahhh... :cry: lol
    >
    > Oh..well..
    > Thanks for the info, guess I have to change the CPU's if I want to
    > upgrade.
    > The real bottleneck in the system now is my ATA-100 IDE interface
    > which I can't understand how they could fit on this type of computer!
    > :evil:
    > Next step is to upgrade to a fast SCSI disk to have as my bootdisk.

  5. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.overclocking (More info?)

    "Amigaz" wrote ... "The real bottleneck in the system now is my ATA-100 IDE
    interface which I can't understand how they could fit on this type of
    computer! :evil: Next step is to upgrade to a fast SCSI disk to have as my
    bootdisk."

    The ATA100 interface may or may not be a bottleneck for your system,
    depending upon usage. A large capacity IDE drive is likely to be faster for
    sequential data transfer than smaller SCSI hard drives (SCSI drives tend to
    spin faster and have faster head movements than IDE drives; IDE drives tend
    to have higher recording densities, enough to make up for the slower spin
    speeds.) Also, unless you have 64-bit and or 66 MHz PCI slots, then that
    lack could also limit data tranfer speeds to less than the total drive
    transfer speeds. SCSI drives are much more expensive, and may not deliver
    better (or as good) performance for particular uses.

    --
    Phil Weldon, pweldonatmindjumpdotcom
    For communication,

    <jiggmaster@hotmail-dot-com.no-spam.invalid> wrote in message
    > > Richard Hopkinswrote:
    > "Amigaz" <jiggmaster@hotmail-dot-com.no-spam.invalid> wrote in
    > message...
    > > Hi I'm new to this board and would like to get into this
    > > overclocking thing.
    > >
    > I'm afraid Mr Dell doesn't like overclocking, and won't let you play.
    >
    > > I have a DELL PRECISION 450 Workstation with Dual Xeon
    > > cpu's @ 2.66ghz and 1gig of ram and wonder if and how to
    > > overclovk them to let's say 2.8ghz or 3ghz.
    > >
    > The only way to overclock a recent Intel CPU is to raise the front
    > side bus
    > frequency. As you've already noticed, your motherboard doesn't offer
    > you any
    > way of doing this.
    >
    > > My system bios says that the cpu's max speed is 3ghz but running
    > > at 2.66 and I can't change the speed in the bis.
    > >
    > You can't change it, full stop. That's the way it is with Dell PC's,
    > sorry.
    > --
    >

    > Richard Hopkins
    > Cardiff, Wales, United Kingdom
    > (replace nospam with pipex in reply address)
    >
    > The UK's leading technology reseller www.dabs.com
    >
    > Waaaahhh... :cry: lol
    >
    > Oh..well..
    > Thanks for the info, guess I have to change the CPU's if I want to
    > upgrade.

Overclocking Workstations