Overclock a DELL PRECISION 450 workstation with dual Xeon

Hi I'm new to this board and would like to get into this overclocking
thing.
I have a DELL PRECISION 450 Workstation with Dual Xeon cpu's @ 2.66ghz
and 1gig of ram and wonder if and how to overclovk them to let's say
2.8ghz or 3ghz.
My system bios says that the cpu's max speed is 3ghz but running at
2.66 and I can't change the speed in the bis.
I have the Intel E7505 chipset.

"Amigaz" <jiggmaster@hotmail-dot-com.no-spam.invalid> wrote in message...
> Hi I'm new to this board and would like to get into this
> overclocking thing.

I'm afraid Mr Dell doesn't like overclocking, and won't let you play.

> I have a DELL PRECISION 450 Workstation with Dual Xeon
> cpu's @ 2.66ghz and 1gig of ram and wonder if and how to
> overclovk them to let's say 2.8ghz or 3ghz.

The only way to overclock a recent Intel CPU is to raise the front side bus
frequency. As you've already noticed, your motherboard doesn't offer you any
way of doing this.

> My system bios says that the cpu's max speed is 3ghz but running
> at 2.66 and I can't change the speed in the bis.

You can't change it, full stop. That's the way it is with Dell PC's, sorry.
--

Richard Hopkins
Cardiff, Wales, United Kingdom

> Richard Hopkinswrote:
"Amigaz" <jiggmaster@hotmail-dot-com.no-spam.invalid> wrote in
message...
> Hi I'm new to this board and would like to get into this
> overclocking thing.

I'm afraid Mr Dell doesn't like overclocking, and won't let you play.

> I have a DELL PRECISION 450 Workstation with Dual Xeon
> cpu's @ 2.66ghz and 1gig of ram and wonder if and how to
> overclovk them to let's say 2.8ghz or 3ghz.

The only way to overclock a recent Intel CPU is to raise the front
side bus
frequency. As you've already noticed, your motherboard doesn't offer
you any
way of doing this.

> My system bios says that the cpu's max speed is 3ghz but running
> at 2.66 and I can't change the speed in the bis.

You can't change it, full stop. That's the way it is with Dell PC's,
sorry.
--

Richard Hopkins
Cardiff, Wales, United Kingdom

Waaaahhh... :cry: lol

Oh..well..
Thanks for the info, guess I have to change the CPU's if I want to
upgrade.
The real bottleneck in the system now is my ATA-100 IDE interface
which I can't understand how they could fit on this type of computer!
:evil:
Next step is to upgrade to a fast SCSI disk to have as my bootdisk.

augustus

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2003

> Hi I'm new to this board and would like to get into this overclocking
> thing.
> I have a DELL PRECISION 450 Workstation with Dual Xeon cpu's @ 2.66ghz
> and 1gig of ram and wonder if and how to overclovk them to let's say
> 2.8ghz or 3ghz.

Dell's BIOS is proprietary and is set up so that zero overclocking settings
are available or possible. You get a Dell, you run at one speed, period.

It's not the CPU.it's the motherboard.
> > Richard Hopkinswrote:
> "Amigaz" <jiggmaster@hotmail-dot-com.no-spam.invalid> wrote in
> message...
> > Hi I'm new to this board and would like to get into this
> > overclocking thing.
> >
> I'm afraid Mr Dell doesn't like overclocking, and won't let you play.
>
> > I have a DELL PRECISION 450 Workstation with Dual Xeon
> > cpu's @ 2.66ghz and 1gig of ram and wonder if and how to
> > overclovk them to let's say 2.8ghz or 3ghz.
> >
> The only way to overclock a recent Intel CPU is to raise the front
> side bus
> frequency. As you've already noticed, your motherboard doesn't offer
> you any
> way of doing this.
>
> > My system bios says that the cpu's max speed is 3ghz but running
> > at 2.66 and I can't change the speed in the bis.
> >
> You can't change it, full stop. That's the way it is with Dell PC's,
> sorry.
> --
>

> Richard Hopkins
> Cardiff, Wales, United Kingdom
> (replace nospam with pipex in reply address)
>
> The UK's leading technology reseller www.dabs.com
>
> Waaaahhh... :cry: lol
>
> Oh..well..
> Thanks for the info, guess I have to change the CPU's if I want to
> upgrade.
> The real bottleneck in the system now is my ATA-100 IDE interface
> which I can't understand how they could fit on this type of computer!
> :evil:
> Next step is to upgrade to a fast SCSI disk to have as my bootdisk.

"Amigaz" wrote ... "The real bottleneck in the system now is my ATA-100 IDE
interface which I can't understand how they could fit on this type of
computer! :evil: Next step is to upgrade to a fast SCSI disk to have as my
bootdisk."

The ATA100 interface may or may not be a bottleneck for your system,
depending upon usage. A large capacity IDE drive is likely to be faster for
sequential data transfer than smaller SCSI hard drives (SCSI drives tend to
spin faster and have faster head movements than IDE drives; IDE drives tend
to have higher recording densities, enough to make up for the slower spin
speeds.) Also, unless you have 64-bit and or 66 MHz PCI slots, then that
lack could also limit data tranfer speeds to less than the total drive
transfer speeds. SCSI drives are much more expensive, and may not deliver
better (or as good) performance for particular uses.

--
Phil Weldon, pweldonatmindjumpdotcom
For communication,