"radical" heatsink design on 9600XT

I have an Abit 9600XT that looks like this:
http://www.pconline.com.cn/diy/graphics/news/0402/pic/ABIT9600xt.jpg

Notice how it has that funny eliptical shaped thing on top of the
Heatsink fan.

Does this look like a gimmick that could actually impede the effciency
of the heatsink/fan working to cool the GPU?

The idle temp was around 43 degrees cel. and under load 65, I have taken
this down to 37/60 with a 120mm exhaust fan.

But I am wondering if I could cool it more if I unscrewed the eliptical
thing from the heatsink??

Any ideas on this type of design?

ofn01 wrote:

> I have an Abit 9600XT that looks like this:
> http://www.pconline.com.cn/diy/graphics/news/0402/pic/ABIT9600xt.jpg
>
> Notice how it has that funny eliptical shaped thing on top of the
> Heatsink fan.
>
> Does this look like a gimmick that could actually impede the effciency
> of the heatsink/fan working to cool the GPU?
>
> The idle temp was around 43 degrees cel. and under load 65, I have taken
> this down to 37/60 with a 120mm exhaust fan.
>
> But I am wondering if I could cool it more if I unscrewed the eliptical
> thing from the heatsink??
>
> Any ideas on this type of design?

Just a wild guess but they might be trying to separate 'cooler' case air
from the 'warmer' air near the PCB.

"David Maynard" <nospam@private.net> wrote in message
> ofn01 wrote:
>
>> I have an Abit 9600XT that looks like this:
>> http://www.pconline.com.cn/diy/graphics/news/0402/pic/ABIT9600xt.jpg
>>
>> Notice how it has that funny eliptical shaped thing on top of the
>> Heatsink fan.
>>
>> Does this look like a gimmick that could actually impede the effciency of
>> the heatsink/fan working to cool the GPU?
>>
>> The idle temp was around 43 degrees cel. and under load 65, I have taken
>> this down to 37/60 with a 120mm exhaust fan.
>>
>> But I am wondering if I could cool it more if I unscrewed the eliptical
>> thing from the heatsink??
>>
>> Any ideas on this type of design?
>
> Just a wild guess but they might be trying to separate 'cooler' case air
> from the 'warmer' air near the PCB.

Or maybe expanding the area of the HS to disperse more heat..........I
dunno. I would expect their is a reason for it so I wouldn't mess around
with it.

Ed

Ed Medlin wrote:

> "David Maynard" <nospam@private.net> wrote in message
>
>>ofn01 wrote:
>>

>>>I have an Abit 9600XT that looks like this:
>>>http://www.pconline.com.cn/diy/graphics/news/0402/pic/ABIT9600xt.jpg
>>>
>>>Notice how it has that funny eliptical shaped thing on top of the
>>>Heatsink fan.
>>>
>>>Does this look like a gimmick that could actually impede the effciency of
>>>the heatsink/fan working to cool the GPU?
>>>
>>>The idle temp was around 43 degrees cel. and under load 65, I have taken
>>>this down to 37/60 with a 120mm exhaust fan.
>>>
>>>But I am wondering if I could cool it more if I unscrewed the eliptical
>>>thing from the heatsink??
>>>
>>>Any ideas on this type of design?
>>
>>Just a wild guess but they might be trying to separate 'cooler' case air
>>from the 'warmer' air near the PCB.
>>

> Or maybe expanding the area of the HS to disperse more heat..........I
> dunno. I would expect their is a reason for it so I wouldn't mess around
> with it.
>
> Ed

Perhaps, but I doubt that some tin slapped on top of the heatsink
contributes much.

rl

This will void the warranty, you can remove the stock heat sink and fan
replace it with a copper 1U heat sink and a 80mm high speed fan. The 1U
heat sink will have to be modified (drilling and lapping) before it will
fit. Use plastic screws to fasten the modified heat sink to the card. The
drilled holes in the sink will have to match up to the holes on the card.
Use a good thermal paste. It should drop the temps by 10 -15 deg. It will
be louder though.