How would you burn up a laptop with no evidence of sabotage

Im not saying it is right, but lets say you had bought one of those
expensive warranties from a retailer. Now two years later you wanted
to cook you machine and get a new one. Is it possible, and how would
you do it? Just hypothetical, not going to do it.

First of all, you would have to send it in for repair.
Second, if the laptop passed the smell test, it would be repaired.
Third, two years later you could possibly buy a new, better laptop for what
you paid for the 'expensive warranty'.
Fourth, good luck doing it twice in a row.

--
Phil Weldon, pweldonatmindjumpdotcom
For communication,

<Brooks> wrote in message news:2005022402553094456%@news.giganews.com...
> Im not saying it is right, but lets say you had bought one of those
> expensive warranties from a retailer. Now two years later you wanted
> to cook you machine and get a new one. Is it possible, and how would
> you do it? Just hypothetical, not going to do it.

> Now two years later you wanted to cook you machine and get a new one.

This functionality is provided at not extra charge on some laptops :)

The failure curve for laptops isn't great:
o Initial infant mortality -- DOA or basically in the first week
---- typically assembly errors or DC-board, that kind of thing
o Complex thermal/temp mortality -- increasing with age
---- more likely failure than Desktops

Human error pays a large part:
o HD failure -- thro temperature, shock (handling to "packaging")
o LCD failure -- thro handling or freak (contacts are on glass)
o Overheating -- operation with lid down, or in a bag

The failure of laptops is mainly one of Physics Of Failure:
o Mechanical failure of solder balls on grid arrays
---- in theory not too difficult/expensive to repair - if Intel :)
---- some laptops turn out to have weaknesses re board layout
o Thermal failure of components re basic laptop temps
---- laptops tolerate high temps - but that is *because* they run hot
---- hence a laptop generally has a max op of 35oC, desktop 45-50oC
---- some laptops turn out to have weaknesses re component choice/layout

General laptop failures I suspect are mainboard re flexion/bad-joint,
or DC convertor boards. Laptops would last longer if every board in
them used flexible interconnect - but that has a cost/space penalty.

The key failure of laptops apart from handling is in 2 ways:
o Obsolence through wear -- battery replacement uneconomic
---- plenty of laptops have 150$/£ LI-Ion batteries out there
---- keyboards cost a fair bit 50$/£
o Obsolescence through spec -- better screens, CPU, battery
---- altho the future looks a bit tougher for laptop makers
---- key change was 800x600 to 1024x768 as a big incentive
---- now we are into going beyond 1024x768, lesser incentive

So if you haven't bought the warranty, it may be better to put
the money aside towards 1) replacing the laptop in the future
or 2) buy a laptop with a 3yr warranty as standard.

Predicting laptop life isn't that easy for an end user, and they
are a "single point failure" - parts are proprietary & expensive.
Google re choice of laptop - some do have known issues.
o Some Sony have a under-temp-spec'd SMT capacitor
o Some Toshiba had some issues
o Older IBM Thinkpads seem more reliable (TP600)

Repairers do know the failure modes - since much is outsourced
to a few key places. They then repair by component replacement,
with components not always brand new (eg, Dell) but qualified.

Interesting to note the luggable market is growing:
o Luggable is a semi or full desktop PC + screen + box
---- it may be laptop-able, it may have a battery
---- often it is more rugged
o Market was 200M, now looks to break 7000M/yr
---- admittedly that is including the rugged market
---- also known as the USA tax payer & FEMA :)
o Even so they are an interesting product
---- mobile, yet using desktop components
---- so parts are easy & *cheap* to upgrade, high performance

Unfortunately price is still quite high.
Weight isn't the barrier it once was - a fast laptop+PSU = 12-13lb,
a luggable can be down around 17-19lb (since no battery weight).

Laptops are a large sunk cost, difficult to u/g, choose carefully :)
--
Dorothy Bradbury
www.dorothybradbury.co.uk for quiet Panaflo fans

On Thu, 24 Feb 2005 02:55:30 -0500, Brooks wrote:

>Im not saying it is right, but lets say you had bought one of those
>expensive warranties from a retailer. Now two years later you wanted
>to cook you machine and get a new one. Is it possible, and how would
>you do it? Just hypothetical, not going to do it.

Well, that depends. One way would be to introduce electricity to
somewhere that is not designed to handle what you are going to apply.
If your laptop has a monitor-out, I would start there, or possibly the
PCMCIA bus. One could take an ordinary cheap, AC adapter and use that
as a source, and apply it to various pins on the monitor-out, or break
an old, unused PCMCIA card and wire the adapter to the pins in it and
plug it in. If you want to get to the root of it and make it more
generalized, open it up and do the same thing to some of the leads
coming of various mainboard chips, memory banks, or even the CPU.
Don't go crazy with the voltage, or you may leave scarring that may be
visible. I would try it with a 6 or 9 volt adapter, or maybe even a 12
volt.
If you have access to a DC arc welder and a hundred or so feet of some
fairly heavy wire, you could make a very stron electromagnetic coil
that you could pass the laptop through that, if strong enough, would
do some serious damage. One could also do the same thing using a
bandsaw blade welder, if you had access to one. The problem with this
is that it would (probably) make the monitor go crazy, which place
replacing it may want you to explain.
There's probably a few better answers out there, but I believe these
would work.

You should start drinking prune juice and KY jelly cocktails right now,
that will make things a lot smoother.
-Felatio Love

On Thu, 24 Feb 2005 02:55:30 -0500, Brooks wrote:

>Im not saying it is right, but lets say you had bought one of those
>expensive warranties from a retailer. Now two years later you wanted
>to cook you machine and get a new one. Is it possible, and how would
>you do it? Just hypothetical, not going to do it.

Microwave it...

Eric

Eric Furness wrote:
> On Thu, 24 Feb 2005 02:55:30 -0500, Brooks wrote:
>

>>Im not saying it is right, but lets say you had bought one of those
>>expensive warranties from a retailer. Now two years later you wanted
>>to cook you machine and get a new one. Is it possible, and how would
>>you do it? Just hypothetical, not going to do it.
>

> Microwave it...
>
> Eric

I can't till which you're trying to destroy, the notebook or the microwave.

Then you would have a fried notebook AND a fried microwave!

--

On Mon, 28 Feb 2005 19:48:21 -0600, David Maynard <nospam@private.net>
wrote:

>Eric Furness wrote:
>> On Thu, 24 Feb 2005 02:55:30 -0500, Brooks wrote:
>>

>>>Im not saying it is right, but lets say you had bought one of those
>>>expensive warranties from a retailer. Now two years later you wanted
>>>to cook you machine and get a new one. Is it possible, and how would
>>>you do it? Just hypothetical, not going to do it.
>>

>> Microwave it...
>>
>> Eric
>
>I can't till which you're trying to destroy, the notebook or the microwave.

Well I can tell you from experience the microwave wins.
Eric

Eric Furness wrote:

> On Mon, 28 Feb 2005 19:48:21 -0600, David Maynard <nospam@private.net>
> wrote:
>

>>Eric Furness wrote:

>>>Microwave it...
>>>
>>>Eric
>>
>>I can't till which you're trying to destroy, the notebook or the microwave.
>

> Well I can tell you from experience the microwave wins.
> Eric

I won't ask.

"David Maynard" <nospam@private.net> wrote in message
> Eric Furness wrote:
>
>> On Mon, 28 Feb 2005 19:48:21 -0600, David Maynard <nospam@private.net>
>> wrote:

>>>I can't till which you're trying to destroy, the notebook or the
>>>microwave.
>>

>> Well I can tell you from experience the microwave wins.
>> Eric
>
> I won't ask.

But I will. It sounds exciting, tell us the story.

MC

On Sun, 6 Mar 2005 08:22:56 -0500, "ModeratelyConfused"
<moderatelyconfused@guess.com> wrote:

>"David Maynard" <nospam@private.net> wrote in message
>> Eric Furness wrote:

>>> Well I can tell you from experience the microwave wins.
>>> Eric
>>
>> I won't ask.
>>

>But I will. It sounds exciting, tell us the story.
>
>MC

A few years back we got a nice big microwave at work. Being basically
immature males we stuck just about anything that would fit into it to
see what would happen. Various large light bulbs were especially
interesting as well as small CRTs. I had an old Toshiba with a bad
hard drive that was not worth fixing. I opened the lid partway so I
could see the dispay and gave it ten seconds. Display lit up in
sections then went dark. When powered up no bios screen or anything.
I reckon it burned out about every chip in it. No visible damage tho.
Eric.

"Eric Furness" <ericfurn@rcn.com> wrote in message
> On Sun, 6 Mar 2005 08:22:56 -0500, "ModeratelyConfused"
> <moderatelyconfused@guess.com> wrote:
>

>>"David Maynard" <nospam@private.net> wrote in message

>>> I won't ask.
>>>

>>But I will. It sounds exciting, tell us the story.
>>
>>MC
>>

> A few years back we got a nice big microwave at work. Being basically
> immature males we stuck just about anything that would fit into it to
> see what would happen. Various large light bulbs were especially
> interesting as well as small CRTs. I had an old Toshiba with a bad
> hard drive that was not worth fixing. I opened the lid partway so I
> could see the dispay and gave it ten seconds. Display lit up in
> sections then went dark. When powered up no bios screen or anything.
> I reckon it burned out about every chip in it. No visible damage tho.
> Eric.

Hmm, did you find a, uh, "good" temp/powerlevel/time at which cook a light
bulb without having it explode? I'd like to try it, but not have to pick up
tiny shards of broken glass. Dry ice is also a good thing for us "immature"
males. There is nothing like throwing a large chunk in the kitchen sink at
lunch time and watch all the females trying to figure out what the hell was
wrong with the sink. The fog flowing over the counter also adds to the
atmosphere of the place. :)

MC

On Mon, 7 Mar 2005 20:34:42 -0500, "ModeratelyConfused"
<moderatelyconfused@guess.com> wrote:

>"Eric Furness" <ericfurn@rcn.com> wrote in message
>> On Sun, 6 Mar 2005 08:22:56 -0500, "ModeratelyConfused"
>> <moderatelyconfused@guess.com> wrote:
>>

>>>"David Maynard" <nospam@private.net> wrote in message

>>>But I will. It sounds exciting, tell us the story.
>>>
>>>MC
>>>

>> A few years back we got a nice big microwave at work. Being basically
>> immature males we stuck just about anything that would fit into it to
>> see what would happen. Various large light bulbs were especially
>> interesting as well as small CRTs. I had an old Toshiba with a bad
>> hard drive that was not worth fixing. I opened the lid partway so I
>> could see the dispay and gave it ten seconds. Display lit up in
>> sections then went dark. When powered up no bios screen or anything.
>> I reckon it burned out about every chip in it. No visible damage tho.
>> Eric.
>
>Hmm, did you find a, uh, "good" temp/powerlevel/time at which cook a light
>bulb without having it explode? I'd like to try it, but not have to pick up
>tiny shards of broken glass. Dry ice is also a good thing for us "immature"
>males. There is nothing like throwing a large chunk in the kitchen sink at
>lunch time and watch all the females trying to figure out what the hell was
>wrong with the sink. The fog flowing over the counter also adds to the
>atmosphere of the place. :)
>
>MC

I googled "fun with microwaves". Lots of immature males out there.

> On Mon, 7 Mar 2005 20:34:42 -0500, "ModeratelyConfused"
> <moderatelyconfused@guess.com> wrote:
>

>>"Eric Furness" <ericfurn@rcn.com> wrote in message

>>> A few years back we got a nice big microwave at work. Being basically
>>> immature males we stuck just about anything that would fit into it to
>>> see what would happen. Various large light bulbs were especially
>>> interesting as well as small CRTs. I had an old Toshiba with a bad
>>> hard drive that was not worth fixing. I opened the lid partway so I
>>> could see the dispay and gave it ten seconds. Display lit up in
>>> sections then went dark. When powered up no bios screen or anything.
>>> I reckon it burned out about every chip in it. No visible damage tho.
>>> Eric.
>>
>>Hmm, did you find a, uh, "good" temp/powerlevel/time at which cook a light
>>bulb without having it explode? I'd like to try it, but not have to pick
>>up
>>tiny shards of broken glass. Dry ice is also a good thing for us
>>"immature"
>>males. There is nothing like throwing a large chunk in the kitchen sink
>>at
>>lunch time and watch all the females trying to figure out what the hell
>>was
>>wrong with the sink. The fog flowing over the counter also adds to the
>>atmosphere of the place. :)
>>
>>MC
>>

> I googled "fun with microwaves". Lots of immature males out there.
> Eric.

Beautiful: http://www.amasci.com/weird/microexp.html

MC