What size water pump?

Last response: in Overclocking
a b K Overclocking
February 24, 2005 7:23:54 PM

I have an Intel P4 2.8 GHz and an ATI 9600 All-in-wonder GPU that I want to
cool.
I plan to use a water block on each processor. My cooler is a small 5 cf
refrigerator.
With a 3 gallon reservoir. There is a 1/20hp compressor.

I am looking at Petsmarts web page. They have a pump rated at 80 gal. per
hour for
$15.99 and another pump rated at 140 gal. per hour for $22.99. The added
beauty of
my design with a submersable pump in the water reservoir I can simply add
ice if there is
to much load on the compressor.

I don't know the total btu's put out by these chips when over clocked.

Thanks in advance!

Robert Miller

More about : size water pump

Anonymous
a b K Overclocking
February 25, 2005 7:19:48 AM

Your 5 cubic foot refrigerator may not do the job. Basically a refrigerator
that small has just enough cooling ability to handle the heat leakage
through the insulation (as can be seen in how long it takes to make a tray
of ice), opening the door once every few hours, and eventually cooling room
temperature items down over a few hours span. When you add up the heat load
produced by a CPU and GPU, along with the heat leakage into the water tubes
and refrigerator the compressor/evaporator may not have the capacity.

A BTU is a measure of ENERGY. A Watt is a measure of POWER. Thus, 1 BTU
equals 1055.056 Watt seconds (a BTU is the amount of energy needed to raise
the temperature of one pound of water by one degree F.)

ALL the power consumed by CPU, chipset, and GPU turns into heat. If, for
example, a CPU draws 100 Watts, that's 100 Watts X 60 minutes/hr X 60
seconds/minute = 360000 Watt/seconds heat energy produced per hour.
Converting to BTU'/s, that is 360000/1055 = ~340 BTU/hr. Add another 75
Watts, perhaps, for the GPU and chipset, depending on the graphics card.
Also consider that a submergable pump is cooled by the water. Figure on a
total of 200 Watts turned into heat (680 BTU/hr.)

Now, for your pump question; 680 BTU will raise the temperature of 680
pounds of water 1 degree F. A gallon of water weighs 8.382 pounds, so 680
pounds = ~ 81 gallons of water per hour will be raised in temperature by 1
degree F. Circulation of 80 gallons per hour is more than enough for
cooling as a temperature rise of 2 or 4 degrees F is likely less important
than the design and construction of the heat exchanger on the CPU.

The questions you should be asking yourself:

*Does the refrigerator have the cooling capacity? (Put a gallon jug of
water at 120 F in the empty refrigerator and check the temperature after one
hour. If the temperature of the water is down to 40 F, then then 680 BTUs
of cooling was done.)

*Is the pump suitable for use at 40 F rather than room temperature?

*Is the pump capable of working against the friction of the water path?

*Is the water circulation path sealed? If not, then the difference in
height of the various components will add to the pump work load, reducing
the performance.

*Is the pump reliable?

*Will the heat exchanger you place inside the refrigerated compartment
handle the heat load?

*Do you really want to have ONE refrigerator tied up cooling your computer
system while your shlep ice from another refrigerator to another?

On the other hand, if you are just going for a record, rather than practical
use, try a mixture of cracked dry ice and isopropyl alcohol as a cooling
bath, replacing the dry ice as necessary.
--
Phil Weldon, pweldonatmindjumpdotcom
For communication,

"Robert Miller" <stargazz@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:D 075$421e45ec$a227fd59$18914@ALLTEL.NET...
> I have an Intel P4 2.8 GHz and an ATI 9600 All-in-wonder GPU that I want
> cool.
> I plan to use a water block on each processor. My cooler is a small 5 cf
> refrigerator.
> With a 3 gallon reservoir. There is a 1/20hp compressor.
>
> I am looking at Petsmarts web page. They have a pump rated at 80 gal. per
> hour for
> $15.99 and another pump rated at 140 gal. per hour for $22.99. The added
> beauty of
> my design with a submersable pump in the water reservoir I can simply add
> ice if there is
> to much load on the compressor.
>
> I don't know the total btu's put out by these chips when over clocked.
>
> Thanks in advance!
>
> Robert Miller

Anonymous
a b K Overclocking
February 25, 2005 10:51:38 AM

Thanks rms & Phil! I had hoped it really would be this easy, but only a
week or two
into learning there was a serious option to water cool my PC. I'll do much
more
reading and thinking this thing through.

Not that it will matter, anybody have the conversion of hp to watts? I'd
guess off hand
that 200 Watts is more than 1/20 hp. I think I will go with something
different.

Thanks again!

Robert

"Phil Weldon" <notdisclosed@example.com> wrote in message
> [...]
> > I have an Intel P4 2.8 GHz and an ATI 9600 All-in-wonder GPU that I want
> > cool.
> > I plan to use a water block on each processor. My cooler is a small 5
cf
> > refrigerator.
> > With a 3 gallon reservoir. There is a 1/20hp compressor.
> >
> > I am looking at Petsmarts web page. They have a pump rated at 80 gal.
per
> > hour for
> > $15.99 and another pump rated at 140 gal. per hour for $22.99. The
added
> > beauty of
> > my design with a submersable pump in the water reservoir I can simply
add
> > ice if there is
> > to much load on the compressor.
> >
> > I don't know the total btu's put out by these chips when over clocked.

a b K Overclocking
February 25, 2005 6:03:05 PM

1 Horsepower = 746 Watts

A compressor/evaporator cooler (phase change), as in a refrigerator, is a
heat pump and will move several times as much heat energy as it consumes.

--
Phil Weldon, pweldonatmindjumpdotcom
For communication,
replace "at" with the 'at sign'
replace "mindjump" with "mindspring."
replace "dot" with "."
February 25, 2005 7:25:13 PM

> A compressor/evaporator cooler (phase change), as in a refrigerator, is a
> heat pump and will move several times as much heat energy as it consumes.

refrigerators are not designed to have an active heatsource inside them.
He better find out what life expectancy will result from this setup, because
as soon as it breaks down, the whole experiment is over: it won't be worth
fixing.

Also, simply putting a radiator inside of a refrigerator compartment is
incredibly inefficient in terms of heat transfer, i.e., he will not be
seeing the results that you calculate above, but only some percentage
thereof. At the very least, fans would need to be installed on the
radiator, or the radiator would need to be bolted onto the cooling coils
inside the fridge somehow (good luck on that).

From a practical standpoint this project is a nightmare, but hay! let us
know if you actually build it. Someone has to take the plunge!

rms
Anonymous
a b K Overclocking
February 25, 2005 7:57:30 PM

"rms" wrote
' refrigerators are not designed to have an active heatsource inside them.
He better find out what life expectancy will result from this setup, because
as soon as it breaks down, the whole experiment is over: it won't be worth
fixing.'

'Also, simply putting a radiator inside of a refrigerator compartment is
incredibly inefficient in terms of heat transfer, i.e., he will not be
seeing the results that you calculate above, but only some percentage
thereof. At the very least, fans would need to be installed on the
radiator, or the radiator would need to be bolted onto the cooling coils
inside the fridge somehow (good luck on that). From a practical standpoint
this project is a nightmare, but hay! let us know if you actually build it.
Someone has to take the plunge!'

We both pointed out potential problems, but ...

Refrigerators DO have to be designed to cool warm objects, warm air that
comes through an open door, and heat leakage thrrough the insultation.
There is no difference in quality between that heat load and the load of an
'active heatsource.' It is how much heat load that is in question.

As for 'incredibly inefficient in terms of heat transfer', that is beside
the point. The total heat transfer is what counts, not the efficiency.
Efficiency in this case can always be made up by more tranfer surface. What
counts is the heat load the refrigerator must handle. Not to mention that
refrigerators have active air circulation and/or cold surfaces (in the case
of small refrigerators.) It is not a question 'only some percentage
thereof', but questions of capability, reliability, bulk, noise,
inconvenience ...

It's been done before, and described in this newsgoup.
--
Phil Weldon, pweldonatmindjumpdotcom
For communication,
replace "at" with the 'at sign'
replace "mindjump" with "mindspring."
replace "dot" with "."
Anonymous
a b K Overclocking
February 26, 2005 2:17:03 AM

"Phil Weldon" <notdisclosed@example.com> wrote in message

> ALL the power consumed by CPU, chipset, and GPU turns into heat. If, for
> example, a CPU draws 100 Watts, that's 100 Watts X 60 minutes/hr X 60
> seconds/minute = 360000 Watt/seconds heat energy produced per hour.
> Converting to BTU'/s, that is 360000/1055 = ~340 BTU/hr. Add another 75
> Watts, perhaps, for the GPU and chipset, depending on the graphics card.
> Also consider that a submergable pump is cooled by the water. Figure on a
> total of 200 Watts turned into heat (680 BTU/hr.)

So if I place a $85 5000BTU conditioner outside my computer
room (in the shade, I'm in central Texas after all) and make a cowling
to direct the air flow through a couple of heater cores and back to the
AC; that might be a little over kill? A copper reservoir would also be
positioned inside the fiberglass sandwich cowling. Insulated 3/4"
PVC pipes to distribute the distilled water to and from my computer(s).

Totally silent, (if I can find, or make, a water cooled power supply
that doesn't scare me.) , with all the noise making parts outside. A
constant supply of very chilled water.

Luck;
Ken
Anonymous
a b K Overclocking
March 10, 2005 4:32:32 PM

"Matt" <matt@themattfella.zzzz.com> wrote in message
> Robert Miller wrote:
> > I have an Intel P4 2.8 GHz and an ATI 9600 All-in-wonder GPU that I want
> > cool.
>
> Probably you will need liquid nitrogen cooling for that rig.

I like the idea of cracked dry ice and isopropyl alcohol solution.

Both are cheap, but the risk and effort of that setup inside the CPU case is
more than
a little intimidating. I assume the temp would be near 0'F if not colder.

I will need thick insulation, and likely other steps to prevent condensation
buildup.

Thanks!

Robert
Anonymous
a b K Overclocking
March 11, 2005 7:13:02 AM

You put the isopropyl alcohol (99%)/cracked dry ice slush OUTSIDE the system
case and circulate a propylene glycol/water mix through it, then through a
water block on the CPU and back.

You do get a very low temperature - dry ice sublimes at - 78.5 C, 100%
isopropyl alcohol is a liquid above - 88 C (sorta a sluggish liquid at -78.5
C.) A pound of dry ice requires 256 BTU of heat input just to go from a
solid at - 78.5 C to a gas at -78.5 C (that's 100 Watts input for ~ 45
minutes.) Even over a long time period, if you insulate the piping, have
good exhange between the inside and outside of the system case, and place a
few stategic resistors near cold spots you can avoid condensation problems.

I've tried it, but didn't have that good a CPU to work with at the time
(Pentium III 1 GHz/100 MHz FSB.) Publix supermarkets in South Florida were
selling dry ice for $1 US per pound.

--

!