Sign in with
Your question

cat5 cable: is there a limit lengh?

Tags:
  • Cable
  • Networking
Last response: in Networking
March 12, 2003 4:45:25 AM

Is there a limit lengh of cat5 cable? How long is the max lenght of this type of cable then will signal lost? 100', 200'?

More about : cat5 cable limit lengh

March 12, 2003 4:58:54 AM

100m.
Anonymous
March 12, 2003 11:59:52 PM

physical wire length limit = no practical limit
ethernet wire length limit = 100 meters
Related resources
March 13, 2003 5:11:39 AM

It means ethernet wire is limited to 333ft. If I need more than that, what can I do? Add a hub in between? Any suggestion? Thanks.
March 13, 2003 7:41:21 AM

yes.

<i>It's always the one thing you never suspected.</i>
March 13, 2003 5:16:57 PM

How reliable is cat5 cable if I run it through out door? Like over the fence, around outside house, because it need to connect between two houses.
March 14, 2003 5:30:37 AM

It is not recomended that you run any copper from one building to another. If they have differnt grounds the network cable can act as a ground for one building (a very bad thing). That said, network performace w/ UTP (unshielded twister pair, std CAT5) can be greatly affected with weather. STP (shielded twisted pair) would help with the enviornment factor but not the ground. You could always use wireless too.

"Quotes are for people that can't think for themselves"
March 16, 2003 4:10:29 AM

I had tried wireless, but signal got lost when wireless router is in a room at one house, the wireless laptop is in other house, because too many walls in between. So only hardwire can go. I temporary connect a CAT5 cable about 150ft, worked very good, no signal reduce or any. I will find a STP and permanent install it. And look for some thing to cover & protect it. About the ground, I don't know what to do with it, what do you suggest?
March 18, 2003 2:59:52 AM

I'm not saying it will be a problem, just saying that it could be. It is possible to have leathal voltage come across a network cable when goin from 2 different buildings. Just as a precuation you may want to install a surge supressor with network ports on both sides of the network cable. I've never tried this, but it would help protect your network if your neighbor gets a spike.

Then again, you could always run fiber ;) 

"Quotes are for people that can't think for themselves"
Anonymous
March 18, 2003 7:24:08 PM

About the ground, tie them with a piece of electrical wire of a sufficient gage, and there won't be any deadly voltage difference between them.

PS I have no idea about what your local inspector would think about a setup like that.
March 19, 2003 1:11:43 PM

What local inspector you're talling about? ISP inspector or City inspector? Like to know more.
Anonymous
March 21, 2003 6:49:11 PM

I meant the city inspector. I don't know this, but am wondering if this might not conform to local codes. That obviously depends on your location.

I can't think of any safety reasons not to do it, but that doesn't mean I've thought of everything.
March 24, 2003 5:20:38 PM

I already connected between two houses, ran throught along outside walls, fences, used up close to 250 ft of cable, no signal lost or decreased, perfect test at 1.2mb down load.

I don't think the city inspector will come unless I remodel the house that they need come to inpsect to qualify the building code. If not, no one will come.

How do you suggest to protect the cable along outside house and fence? Will the outside coating of cable be harden after long time extreme heat and cold under sun and rain? What insulation is good and cheap enough to use?
Anonymous
March 24, 2003 7:07:54 PM

I've used PVC pipe as conduit, but again it might not be up to code. I'm sure there are less expensive materials a guy could use that would work.
March 24, 2003 11:30:05 PM

I can't do anything to meet the city code, unless I hide it under ground, but still show up when climbing up the walls.

Forget about the code, lets talk about the insulation, it's too late to install PVC pipe now, unless that are preslit, I just slit the cable in, but I don't see something like that, did you? How about hot water pipe insulation form from home depot, they are Latex paintable for outdoor use, 0° to 180°Fahrenheit (-18° to 82° Celsius), and are preslited, 99 cent for 1/2" x 6ft long, I can't find narrower than that, is it good enough?
March 25, 2003 3:15:28 AM

you can run the cable through a garden hose. they are durable and dont look out of place on the ground. kind of difficult to feed, best would be to get some string, tie a fishing weight on it and work it through the hose. then tie the string to the cat 5 and pull it through the hose. water is a good thing to use to help get the string through the hose.

my computer is so fast, it completes an endless loop in less than 4 seconds!
March 25, 2003 2:00:28 PM

Thanks for the suggestion. Garden hose is a good one too, they are cheap and long enough, 1/2" x 50ft for under $10.00. I already installed the cable, & hooked up two PCs, can't take it back to insert the rj45 inside the hose, I can cut and open the hose by sideway, then insert the cable along with it, and choose what section I want to propect.
March 28, 2003 5:49:09 PM

Thanks you for the link, a very usefull site. But this is the only way I can go, no other choise. I'll add insulation on the explore outdoor area, and the hub will be pluged in a UPS. What else need to do to prevent the lighting?
March 28, 2003 7:06:19 PM

Clip the ends off.
Run some poly-pipe underground.
Suck a string through witha vacuum or something.
Then pull the cable through with the string.
Re-crimp new ends onto the cable.

It really may be something you have to do, and not just convenient. I know it's a pain, but you might feel differently if both computers get toasted, or worse someone gets sent to the hospital. May not be likely, but possible.
March 28, 2003 7:16:31 PM

Or you could run cable through the house and put the Wireless access point near a window that faces the other building, and the same in the other house.
March 28, 2003 10:05:34 PM

Take a metre of 2mm copper wire. Tie one end round a pipe in the house and the other round your testicles.

Should speed things up a little. :lol: 

<b><font color=blue>~ <A HREF="http://forums.btvillarin.com/index.php?act=ST&f=41&t=32..." target="_new">Nice sig 81.</A> ~<font color=blue></b> :wink:
Anonymous
March 29, 2003 12:01:03 AM

For lightning protection...

You could put the twisted pair through a sufficiently shielded conduit. I'm thinking some galvanized steel pipe would work if grounded properly at one end.

Still sounds expensive to me though.

Edit: tie both PC chassis to the ends of the galvenized pipe too. Adds grounding for the shielding affect, and secondly both PC 's are forced to roughly the same ground potential.<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by knewton on 03/28/03 06:11 PM.</EM></FONT></P>
!