Router or Modem-Router?

Last response: in Wireless Networking
May 18, 2005 12:45:27 PM

Hi,

I was wondering whether it was advisable to go for a DSL router with an
integrated modem or just a DSL router which would "sit" behind the existing
DSL modem. Can anyone explain the pros and cons ?

Thanks

--
Peter
------------------------

More about : router modem router

Anonymous
May 18, 2005 1:01:10 PM

"Pete Kennedy" <peterkennedy@nahhhh.com> a écrit dans le message de news:
Og2nuU3WFHA.1404@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
> Hi,
>
> I was wondering whether it was advisable to go for a DSL router with an
> integrated modem or just a DSL router which would "sit" behind the
existing
> DSL modem. Can anyone explain the pros and cons ?
>
> Thanks
>
> --
> Peter
> ------------------------

Hmm, answering my own question, I think I need a router with an integrated
modem because the existing modem is USB and if I understand rightly, DSL
routers don't have a USB plug !

Peter

May 18, 2005 1:02:21 PM

Hi

Ignoring the price component, it is better to go with External Ethernet
Modem and a Stand alone Cable/DSL Router.

The Router part of the Modem/Router combos is not as good as a stand alone
Router, and using a combo reduces your future flexibility (like if you would
like to go Wireless it get cumbersome and more expensive to add Wireless).

Jack (MVP-Networking).

!