P4 overclocked

We're talkin about Northwood 2.8c (800 BUS), MBO Asus P4C800-e deluxe
and 2x512MB Kingmax Hardcore DDR466

On 3.43 (FSB 245) it works fine, voltage is on defalt, both CPU and RAM
(timings 3:4:4:8)

Clocked to 3.56 works decent... ok... (had to reinstall XP), CPU
vCore:1.575, RAM: 2.75... maybe a bit unstabile

I'm just interested in voltage... how should they be set? Are they too
high, too low? How high did u go with your northwood?? Can I go higher?
6 answers Last reply
More about overclocked

    "Motman" wrote
    > I'm just interested in voltage... how should they be set? Are they too
    > high, too low? How high did u go with your northwood?? Can I go higher?

    Hi,

    I have a P4-2.8GHz running at 3.5GHz on an ABIT AI7 using default vCore, and
    I also have a P4-2.6GHz running at 3.0GHz on an ASUS P4C800-E using
    1.6vCore.

    I had the ABIT and 2.6GHz Northwood together, that's where I hit the 3.0GHz
    max. Then I picked up the ASUS mobo real cheap and whacked in the 2.6GHz
    chip. . . .same thing, wouldn't go any higher!

    I then bought a 2.8GHz P4 (mo stepping) and popped that into the ABIT mobo,
    and much to my surprise was happy to run at 3.5GHz on default voltage! It
    is stable at higher speeds with a boost in vCore, but I'm not to keen to go
    above 1.6-1.65vCore (1.525vCore default).

    It has been said that the very best P4s (golden samples, Uber chips, Puppy,
    etc) will perform amazing overclocks using just default voltages, and will
    generally keep climbing higher up to about 1.6vCore. Anything over this
    produces very diminishing results (i.e two bumps in vCore for an extra 10MHz
    etc).

    I am keen to pop my 2.8GHz CPU into the ASUS mobo and see how it works, I
    suspect it would perform a little better due to the P4C800-E using the
    Canterwood chipset, compared to my ABIT AI7 which uses the Springdale
    chipset (still good though!).

    On my ABIT mobo things start to go a bit *wobbly* after I climb much above
    257MHz-FSB (Firewire vanishes, USB devices disconnecting etc). Not sure if
    this is caused by my overclocked CPU or just the Mobo/Northbridge getting a
    little frazzled.

    So to sum up, I think its ok to add more juice to the CPU, obviously the
    temps will rise but if you have decent cooling that shouldn't be an issue.
    Start your testing with the memory set to 5:4 ratio and concentrate on your
    CPu overclocks, once that's is done you can go back to 1:1 sync memory and
    see how your mobo/memory hold up!

    Good Luck,

    Wayne ][
  2. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.overclocking (More info?)

    On Sat, 5 Mar 2005 03:52:19 -0000, "Wayne Youngman"
    <waynes.spamtrap@tiscali.co.uk> wrote:

    >"Motman" wrote
    >> I'm just interested in voltage... how should they be set? Are they too
    >> high, too low? How high did u go with your northwood?? Can I go higher?
    >

    >Hi,
    >
    >I have a P4-2.8GHz running at 3.5GHz on an ABIT AI7 using default vCore, and
    >I also have a P4-2.6GHz running at 3.0GHz on an ASUS P4C800-E using
    >1.6vCore.

    Hey Wayne.. Just for giggles, what are you runing for memory timings
    on the AI7?? I'm stable at 250FSB synchronous (well as stable as 4
    hours of rendering exhibits) but still using the auto memory
    timings... Wanna start tweaking a bit further and would like a good
    place to start. (assuming it works at all. hehe)
  3. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.overclocking (More info?)

    "The OTHER Kevin in San Diego" wrote
    > Hey Wayne.. Just for giggles, what are you runing for memory timings
    > on the AI7?? I'm stable at 250FSB synchronous (well as stable as 4
    > hours of rendering exhibits) but still using the auto memory
    > timings... Wanna start tweaking a bit further and would like a good
    > place to start. (assuming it works at all. hehe)

    Hi,

    I'm running a 250MHz FSB but I have my memory set to 5:4 (async) using
    timings 2-6-2-2 and 2.65vDimm(2.7Actual). GAT settings A-A-A-D-D. If I run
    the same buy sync (1:1) I loosen my timings to 2.5-3-3-8.

    1:1 is stable at 250MHz-FSB but I get a strange *tearing* effect in some
    games and benchmarks (Call-of-Duty and Aquamark). This tearing goes away If
    I switch to 5:4.

    Wayne ][
  4. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.overclocking (More info?)

    On Sun, 6 Mar 2005 01:20:15 -0000, "Wayne Youngman"
    <waynes.spamtrap@tiscali.co.uk> wrote:

    >"The OTHER Kevin in San Diego" wrote
    >> Hey Wayne.. Just for giggles, what are you runing for memory timings
    >> on the AI7?? I'm stable at 250FSB synchronous (well as stable as 4
    >> hours of rendering exhibits) but still using the auto memory
    >> timings... Wanna start tweaking a bit further and would like a good
    >> place to start. (assuming it works at all. hehe)
    >

    >Hi,
    >
    >I'm running a 250MHz FSB but I have my memory set to 5:4 (async) using
    >timings 2-6-2-2 and 2.65vDimm(2.7Actual). GAT settings A-A-A-D-D. If I run
    >the same buy sync (1:1) I loosen my timings to 2.5-3-3-8.
    >
    >1:1 is stable at 250MHz-FSB but I get a strange *tearing* effect in some
    >games and benchmarks (Call-of-Duty and Aquamark). This tearing goes away If
    >I switch to 5:4.

    Cool, thx.. Played Halo PC for a couple hours today at 250 Sync..
    Zero problems. We'll see if it stays the same as I start tweaking.

    Thanks again.

    -K
  5. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.overclocking (More info?)

    now, i've set it to 3500MHz, FSB250, synchronous...

    everything works fine, by so far... timings are 3-4-4-8...
    after playing age of mythology for 10 mins, CPU temp was 57 degrees!!!
    Isn't it pretty high? vCore is 1.550, and memory voltage is 2.65...

    is 466 clocked to 500Mhz too much for my memory?
  6. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.overclocking (More info?)

    "Motman" <mariomotman@net.hr> wrote in message
    > We're talkin about Northwood 2.8c (800 BUS), MBO Asus P4C800-e deluxe
    > and 2x512MB Kingmax Hardcore DDR466
    >
    > On 3.43 (FSB 245) it works fine, voltage is on defalt, both CPU and RAM
    > (timings 3:4:4:8)
    >
    > Clocked to 3.56 works decent... ok... (had to reinstall XP), CPU
    > vCore:1.575, RAM: 2.75... maybe a bit unstabile
    >
    > I'm just interested in voltage... how should they be set? Are they too
    > high, too low? How high did u go with your northwood?? Can I go higher?

    This might be a dumb question, on that risk, I'll ask anyway. I've read
    seveal
    times now that Windows XP needed to be reinstalled. Why is that?

    Why does the operating system need to be re-installed? I know there must be
    a good reason, but I'm clueless what it could be.

    Thanks!

    Robert Miller

Overclocking