The ol' generic icons

Hey all,

Decided earlier tonight to play one of my fav MAME games again, found it
didn't work. Decided to get the latest version of MAME32. Went from 86 to
91u1. Now, mucho downloads later... ;-)

MAME32 is showing me these marble-like generic icons, you know the ones,
greenish for a working game, reddish for a broken one, etcetera. I
distinctly rmember having much simpler coloured squares for this in older
versions. I thought those were the built-in icons, but when I remove
everything from the \mame32\icons\ directory, I get strange looking
"rom"icons sintead. Not what I was looking for.
Anyone know if the old ones are still available somewhere? They were just
a simple green square for a working rom, a red square for a broken one, and
I think there were a few other colours as well... I suppose I could try
making them myself based on the ones that come with mame32... but if
they're still out there somewhere I'd rather no waste my time.

Cheers,
Char
13 answers Last reply
More about generic icons

    <snip>
    .... Went from 86 to 91u1.

    whoops. that's 97u1 of course.

    On 17 Jun 2005 21:21:01 GMT, CharGen <reply@news.server> wrote:

    >Hey all,
    >
    >Decided earlier tonight to play one of my fav MAME games again, found it
    >didn't work. Decided to get the latest version of MAME32. Went from 86 to
    >91u1. Now, mucho downloads later... ;-)
    >
    >MAME32 is showing me these marble-like generic icons, you know the ones,
    >greenish for a working game, reddish for a broken one, etcetera. I
    >distinctly rmember having much simpler coloured squares for this in older
    >versions. I thought those were the built-in icons, but when I remove
    >everything from the \mame32\icons\ directory, I get strange looking
    >"rom"icons sintead. Not what I was looking for.
    >Anyone know if the old ones are still available somewhere? They were just
    >a simple green square for a working rom, a red square for a broken one, and
    >I think there were a few other colours as well... I suppose I could try
    >making them myself based on the ones that come with mame32... but if
    >they're still out there somewhere I'd rather no waste my time.
    >
    >Cheers,
    >Char

    There's two versions of icons.zip you can pick from:
    The official ones: http://www.classicgaming.com/mame32qa/
    Mamu's ICON's: http://www.mameworld.net/icons/

    I prefer and use Mamu's icons - much better, I think these have the
    ones you refer to.

    Troy.

    > There's two versions of icons.zip you can pick from:
    > The official ones: http://www.classicgaming.com/mame32qa/
    > Mamu's ICON's: http://www.mameworld.net/icons/
    >
    > I prefer and use Mamu's icons - much better, I think these have the
    > ones you refer to.
    >
    > Troy.

    Hi Troy,

    No those aren't the ones.
    The ones I'm looking for are only the generic ones:

    clone.ico
    cpu.ico
    cust1.ico
    cust2.ico
    foldavail.ico
    folder.ico
    foldmanu.ico
    foldopen.ico
    foldsrc.ico
    foldyear.ico
    golden.ico
    harddisk.ico
    manufact.ico
    nonwork.ico
    noroms.ico
    roms.ico
    snd.ico
    sound.ico
    source.ico
    unknown.ico
    warningx.ico
    working.ico
    year.ico

    But not the ones that come with the current MAME32 binary.
    Ah, heck, since they were just coloured squares, I'll try to make my own.
    When I'm done I'll post 'm on abem, if anyone's interested.

    Char

    * CharGen wrote in alt.games.mame:

    [...]

    > The ones I'm looking for are only the generic ones:

    > clone.ico
    > cpu.ico
    > cust1.ico
    > cust2.ico
    > foldavail.ico
    > folder.ico
    > foldmanu.ico
    > foldopen.ico
    > foldsrc.ico
    > foldyear.ico
    > golden.ico
    > harddisk.ico
    > manufact.ico
    > nonwork.ico
    > noroms.ico
    > roms.ico
    > snd.ico
    > sound.ico
    > source.ico
    > unknown.ico
    > warningx.ico
    > working.ico
    > year.ico

    > But not the ones that come with the current MAME32 binary.

    I havent grabed the latest but even when I do I usually only grab the
    exe out of the zip. I have some dated 2002 that I could zip and upload
    if you like.

    --
    David
    Lack of skill dictates economy of style.

    On 17 Jun 2005 22:44:10 GMT, CharGen wrote:

    > The ones I'm looking for are only the generic ones:

    I agree, the new faux-marble ones are really fugly. The trick is to delete
    the ones you listed from the icons.zip, and MAME32 should then display the
    older generic icons, which are stored internally (if you download the
    source you can even find them in one of the directories).
    Did that work?

    Cheers, Mike

    Mike <mdh@deadspam.com> wrote in

    > On 17 Jun 2005 22:44:10 GMT, CharGen wrote:
    >
    >> The ones I'm looking for are only the generic ones:
    >
    > I agree, the new faux-marble ones are really fugly. The trick is to
    > delete the ones you listed from the icons.zip, and MAME32 should then
    > display the older generic icons, which are stored internally (if you
    > download the source you can even find them in one of the directories).
    > Did that work?
    >
    > Cheers, Mike

    Mike,

    Are you using a recent version of mame32? Because I did what you
    described, but all I got was icons that are little drawings of roms. Which
    corresponds to the icons I found in the current source...

    I suppose if I could find an old source...

    Cheers,
    Char

    SINNER <99nesorjd@gates_of_hell.invalid> wrote in news:ik2co2xtmg.ln2
    @news.gates_of_hell.com:

    > * CharGen wrote in alt.games.mame:
    >
    > I havent grabed the latest but even when I do I usually only grab the
    > exe out of the zip. I have some dated 2002 that I could zip and upload
    > if you like.

    Hi Sinner,

    If you could do that, I'd be very grateful
    I've been playing with an icon editor, but am getting mixed results. I'm
    afraid I'm not much of an artist ;-)

    Thanks,
    Char

    * CharGen wrote in alt.games.mame:
    > SINNER <99nesorjd@gates_of_hell.invalid> wrote in news:ik2co2xtmg.ln2
    > @news.gates_of_hell.com:

    >> * CharGen wrote in alt.games.mame:

    >> I havent grabed the latest but even when I do I usually only grab the
    >> exe out of the zip. I have some dated 2002 that I could zip and upload
    >> if you like.

    > Hi Sinner,

    > If you could do that, I'd be very grateful
    > I've been playing with an icon editor, but am getting mixed results. I'm
    > afraid I'm not much of an artist ;-)

    Do you have access to alt.binaries.emulators.mame or do you prefer an
    email?

    --
    David
    There is very little future in being right when your boss is wrong.

    > * CharGen wrote in alt.games.mame:
    >> SINNER <99nesorjd@gates_of_hell.invalid> wrote in news:ik2co2xtmg.ln2
    >> @news.gates_of_hell.com:
    >
    >>> * CharGen wrote in alt.games.mame:
    >
    >>> I havent grabed the latest but even when I do I usually only grab
    >>> the exe out of the zip. I have some dated 2002 that I could zip and
    >>> upload if you like.
    >
    >> Hi Sinner,
    >
    >> If you could do that, I'd be very grateful
    >> I've been playing with an icon editor, but am getting mixed results.
    >> I'm afraid I'm not much of an artist ;-)
    >
    > Do you have access to alt.binaries.emulators.mame or do you prefer an
    > email?

    ABEM is fine! Can a MAMEr live without?

    * CharGen wrote in alt.games.mame:
    > SINNER <99nesorjd@gates_of_hell.invalid> wrote in

    [...]

    >> Do you have access to alt.binaries.emulators.mame or do you prefer an
    >> email?

    > ABEM is fine! Can a MAMEr live without?

    Done!

    Subject: ATTN CharGen - MAME32 'ol Generic Icons - 1 attachment

    HTH
    --
    David
    Every successful person has had failures but repeated failure is no

    tedd wrote on 18. June 2005:

    [Posted a file]

    Please don't do this in newsgroups. Upload it somewhere and post the link
    instead.
    --
    By(e) Andreas
    U w4nt r0meZ? <http://www.lazarus.org.uk/>

    >>> Do you have access to alt.binaries.emulators.mame or do you prefer an
    >>> email?
    >
    >> ABEM is fine! Can a MAMEr live without?
    >
    > Done!
    >
    > Subject: ATTN CharGen - MAME32 'ol Generic Icons - 1 attachment

    Got 'm. These are exactly the ones I wanted! Cheers!

    On 18 Jun 2005 09:04:21 GMT, CharGen wrote:

    > Are you using a recent version of mame32?

    Yup, 0.97 here.

    > Because I did what you
    > described, but all I got was icons that are little drawings of roms. Which
    > corresponds to the icons I found in the current source...

    Hmm. Maybe I misunderstood what you were after. I like MAME32's icons for
    the games but I can't stand the "faux marble" folder/unavailable etc.
    icons. If you delete those from your icons.zip MAME32 will revert to the
    ones stored internally which looks pretty much like your folder icons in
    Windows Explorer, with variations for the CHD folder etc.

    > I suppose if I could find an old source...

    You shouldn't need to! Then again I am probably drunk so talking out of my
    arse ;)

    Mike

Games Icons Video Games