cely 600 socket 370

Hi there-I have this cpu laying around and some time to blow so I was
wondering if this will o'clock to start.if so to what and if i put it on a
slot 1 w/slotkit will that go higher or at all? so slot 1 board or socket
370 board? and what to expect,oh and type of ram and min. amount.
thanks guys! Kevin ktrowhill@ody.ca

kt wrote:
> Hi there-I have this cpu laying around and some time to blow so I was
> wondering if this will o'clock to start.if so to what and if i put it on a
> slot 1 w/slotkit will that go higher or at all? so slot 1 board or socket
> 370 board? and what to expect,oh and type of ram and min. amount.
> thanks guys! Kevin ktrowhill@ody.ca

Motherboards from that era do not have AGP/PCI locking so the technique was
to pick a Celeron that would overclock from the standard 66 MHz FSB to 100
Mhz FSB so the PCI/AGP multipliers would be standard then, perhaps, raise
the FSB some nominal amount from there.

The slam dunk model was a 533A (not the PPGA 533), going to 800 MHz, and
the 566 to 850 MHz was almost as assured (mine overclocked to 1020). A
Celeron 600 might make it but it depends on the particular one. Some will
do 900 and others will not and, in general, those of later manufacture have
a better chance than the earlier ones. An increase in Vcore is generally
required.

If the motherboard has a rich suite of overclocking features then a socket
370 is probably best. On the other hand, a decent slotket provides jumpers
for forcing the FSB to 100 MHz and altering Vcore selection on slot-1
boards that don't include BIOS settings (the alternate on a socket 370
being to wrap/jumper/break-off processor pins, or on the socket, manually).

If you're just slapping something together then cost might be a big
consideration and slot-1 boards are probably less expensive. Generally I'd
look for a BX chipset board (usually 3 mem slots and max 768 meg) but,
again, from the cost standpoint an 810E (max 2 mem slots and 512 Meg), or
even better an 815E, has built in video so the cost might be less depending
on the initial cost of the board (the built-in video is low in 3D
performance and there are plenty of very cheap AGP boards that can match it).

None of the Intel chipsets will accept the lower cost "high density" 256
Meg memory modules, which makes the memory rather expensive.

David Maynard wrote:
> kt wrote:
>
>> Hi there-I have this cpu laying around and some time to blow so I was
>> wondering if this will o'clock to start.if so to what and if i put it
>> on a
>> slot 1 w/slotkit will that go higher or at all? so slot 1 board or socket
>> 370 board? and what to expect,oh and type of ram and min. amount.
>> thanks guys! Kevin ktrowhill@ody.ca
>>

> Motherboards from that era do not have AGP/PCI locking so the technique
> was to pick a Celeron that would overclock from the standard 66 MHz FSB
> to 100 Mhz FSB so the PCI/AGP multipliers would be standard then,
> perhaps, raise the FSB some nominal amount from there.
>
> The slam dunk model was a 533A (not the PPGA 533), going to 800 MHz, and

Yes, and as a general rule I found out that the P3 models (versus
Celeron) with 100MHz FSB clock at least as good. OTOH, the next standard
step from 100 is to 133, so "only" 33% overclock is easily acquired. My
550 was OK at 133MHz FSB. Actually, it ran at 155MHz FSB with air
cooling and a notch of volts added to the core.

> the 566 to 850 MHz was almost as assured (mine overclocked to 1020). A
> Celeron 600 might make it but it depends on the particular one. Some
> will do 900 and others will not and, in general, those of later

I had a 633 which happily ran at 950MHz. I never even tried to raise the
FSB over the 100MHz standard.

> manufacture have a better chance than the earlier ones. An increase in
> Vcore is generally required.
>
> If the motherboard has a rich suite of overclocking features then a
> socket 370 is probably best. On the other hand, a decent slotket
> provides jumpers for forcing the FSB to 100 MHz and altering Vcore
> selection on slot-1 boards that don't include BIOS settings (the
> alternate on a socket 370 being to wrap/jumper/break-off processor pins,
> or on the socket, manually).
>
> If you're just slapping something together then cost might be a big
> consideration and slot-1 boards are probably less expensive. Generally
> I'd look for a BX chipset board (usually 3 mem slots and max 768 meg)
> but, again, from the cost standpoint an 810E (max 2 mem slots and 512
> Meg), or even better an 815E, has built in video so the cost might be

IMO the 815 is an underestimated chipset. My Abit SE6 has done
everything I ever asked it to. Just accept that is is a bit slower than
the BX and you'll get along well with it. 810 is for plug'n'play users,
just add the components and wish it works. If you know what you are
doing, then get a BX chipset mobo. Those babies can squeeze every bit of
performance out of your hardware, if you just know how to ask :)

Hmm.. maybe I'll dig that SE6 out of the closet again, throw in some 6ns
memory modules, the good old 633 Celeron (or maybe it's time for the
650MHz P3 with 100MHz FSB, of course), a good 350-watt PSU, a Matrox
vidcard, two Voodoo II's and a random HD and start a retro project :)
Win98SE, of course.

> less depending on the initial cost of the board (the built-in video is
> low in 3D performance and there are plenty of very cheap AGP boards that
> can match it).
>
> None of the Intel chipsets will accept the lower cost "high density" 256
> Meg memory modules, which makes the memory rather expensive.

That's why you never sell the 256MB two-sided modules you have in the
top drawer, hidden under the Playboy magazine stack :) Or those
super-overclocking 166MHz mem sticks you won in a nerd poker game..

--
gt

GinTonix wrote:

> David Maynard wrote:
>
>> kt wrote:
>>
>>> Hi there-I have this cpu laying around and some time to blow so I was
>>> wondering if this will o'clock to start.if so to what and if i put it
>>> on a
>>> slot 1 w/slotkit will that go higher or at all? so slot 1 board or
>>> socket
>>> 370 board? and what to expect,oh and type of ram and min. amount.
>>> thanks guys! Kevin ktrowhill@ody.ca
>>>

>> Motherboards from that era do not have AGP/PCI locking so the
>> technique was to pick a Celeron that would overclock from the standard
>> 66 MHz FSB to 100 Mhz FSB so the PCI/AGP multipliers would be standard
>> then, perhaps, raise the FSB some nominal amount from there.
>>
>> The slam dunk model was a 533A (not the PPGA 533), going to 800 MHz, and
>

> Yes, and as a general rule I found out that the P3 models (versus
> Celeron) with 100MHz FSB clock at least as good. OTOH, the next standard
> step from 100 is to 133, so "only" 33% overclock is easily acquired. My
> 550 was OK at 133MHz FSB. Actually, it ran at 155MHz FSB with air
> cooling and a notch of volts added to the core.

Yeah. I ran my P3-750 at 930.

>> the 566 to 850 MHz was almost as assured (mine overclocked to 1020). A
>> Celeron 600 might make it but it depends on the particular one. Some
>> will do 900 and others will not and, in general, those of later
>

> I had a 633 which happily ran at 950MHz.

I don't doubt it, and my 566 went to 1020, but not everyone had the same luck.

> I never even tried to raise the
> FSB over the 100MHz standard.
>
>> manufacture have a better chance than the earlier ones. An increase in
>> Vcore is generally required.
>>
>> If the motherboard has a rich suite of overclocking features then a
>> socket 370 is probably best. On the other hand, a decent slotket
>> provides jumpers for forcing the FSB to 100 MHz and altering Vcore
>> selection on slot-1 boards that don't include BIOS settings (the
>> alternate on a socket 370 being to wrap/jumper/break-off processor
>> pins, or on the socket, manually).
>>
>> If you're just slapping something together then cost might be a big
>> consideration and slot-1 boards are probably less expensive. Generally
>> I'd look for a BX chipset board (usually 3 mem slots and max 768 meg)
>> but, again, from the cost standpoint an 810E (max 2 mem slots and 512
>> Meg), or even better an 815E, has built in video so the cost might be
>

> IMO the 815 is an underestimated chipset. My Abit SE6 has done
> everything I ever asked it to. Just accept that is is a bit slower than
> the BX

Well, being slower than BX was the point. But I agree it's a good chipset
and my media PC is an 815E with an overclocked 1.3 gig tualatin celeron.

> and you'll get along well with it. 810 is for plug'n'play users,
> just add the components and wish it works. If you know what you are
> doing, then get a BX chipset mobo. Those babies can squeeze every bit of
> performance out of your hardware, if you just know how to ask :)

I don't know what you're trying to get at with the 'plug-n-play' comment as
there's no 'lack' of PnP with BX. What's lacking, if one considers it such,
is, as I mentioned, a built-in display controller. But OS installation is
exactly the same as if it were on a card: you install the appropriate
display driver.

I should emphasize, and had intended to, the "E." The 810, NO E, is for 66
Mhz Celerons. Clocking to 100 MHz FSB needs the E version, which added 100
MHz FSB support.

It can be confusing because the non-E version uses 100 MHz SDRAM but that
is not the FSB and is there to offset the memory bandwidth hit from the
built-in shared memory display controller.

David Maynard wrote:
> GinTonix wrote:

>> and you'll get along well with it. 810 is for plug'n'play users, just
>> add the components and wish it works. If you know what you are doing,
>> then get a BX chipset mobo. Those babies can squeeze every bit of
>> performance out of your hardware, if you just know how to ask :)
>

> I don't know what you're trying to get at with the 'plug-n-play' comment
> as there's no 'lack' of PnP with BX. What's lacking, if one considers it
> such, is, as I mentioned, a built-in display controller. But OS
> installation is exactly the same as if it were on a card: you install
> the appropriate display driver.

Just that if you want to fiddle your hardware don't get these (meaning
i810 series). But if you just want to build a computer, go get one of
these, a cheap FSB66 Celeron, two sticks of RAM, a cheap disk and boot
it (the PnP like it should work). Most probably it will run OK and do
everything within its specifications, but don't hold your breath waiting
for your overclocking or other small tuning projects to succeed.

> I should emphasize, and had intended to, the "E." The 810, NO E, is for
> 66 Mhz Celerons. Clocking to 100 MHz FSB needs the E version, which
> added 100 MHz FSB support.

Yes, I forgot this as I only made friends with the E model.

gt

GinTonix wrote:

> David Maynard wrote:
>
>> GinTonix wrote:

>>> and you'll get along well with it. 810 is for plug'n'play users, just
>>> add the components and wish it works. If you know what you are doing,
>>> then get a BX chipset mobo. Those babies can squeeze every bit of
>>> performance out of your hardware, if you just know how to ask :)
>>

>> I don't know what you're trying to get at with the 'plug-n-play'
>> comment as there's no 'lack' of PnP with BX. What's lacking, if one
>> considers it such, is, as I mentioned, a built-in display controller.
>> But OS installation is exactly the same as if it were on a card: you
>> install the appropriate display driver.

OK. I see.

Will still need the 810 display and sound drivers though, but you don't
have to plug in any 'cards'.