E-mail accounts in Pocket Outlook

August 2, 2004 1:21:16 PM

Hello,

I am new to the pocketPC world...

I have seen that when a new mail account is configured in Pocket Outlook, a
new set of folders (say, "email") is created beside the one called
"activesync".

I assume that the mail checked from the pocket PC goes to this folder
(rather than the "activesync" folder).

Then, what happens when you sync? Does it really need to transfer the mails
to the "active sync" folder to get them synced with Outlook? Is that the
correct way of using pocket outlook?

I'd really like to get hints about this before I need to check mail on the
go with my pocket PC.

TIA,

--

Daniel CLEMENT
Anonymous

> I assume that the mail checked from the pocket PC goes to this folder
> (rather than the "activesync" folder).

Yes.

> Then, what happens when you sync? Does it really need to transfer the
> mails to the "active sync" folder to get them synced with Outlook? Is that
> the correct way of using pocket outlook?

Not exactly. The messages downloaded with the Pocket PC are not deleted from
the mail server. The logic is that you download them with Outlook on the PC
(deleting them from the server) and sync them to the Pocket PC's ActiveSync
folder. The next time you download them on the go, the messages will
disappear from the POP3/IMAP account because they are no longer on the mail
server.

POP3/IMAP accounts are primarily intended to be used in between syncs.

--
Marc Zimmermann
Microsoft MVP - Mobile Devices

Pocket PC User Groups http://www.clubpocketpc.de
Personal Homepage http://www.zimac.de
Anonymous
August 2, 2004 5:57:12 PM

Thank you for the explanation. I did not know that the mails gathered form
the PPC were systematically retained on the server.

It is definitely an improvement on my old palm, which had _two_ mail
applications (one for retrieving POP3 mail and one for syncing)...

Regards,

--

Daniel CLEMENT

news: OM152aGeEHA.2376@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...