Pentium M on your Socket 478 platform - info

"Thomas" <thomas_@lycos.nl> wrote in message...
> http://www.anandtech.com/cpuchipsets/showdoc.aspx?i=2382&p=2
>
> Too bad it's only compatible with two Asus P4 boards... I do hope it
> will be a possibility to use it with other brands....

It's an interesting proof of concept. If Asus can do it, there's no reason
why other manufacturers couldn't. Whether they will is another matter tho.

Mind you, from a third party modifier's viewpoint, I'd be interested to get
hold of one of these cards and see whether the appropriate CPU support can
be added into an existing BIOS from another manufacturer's motherboard.
--

Richard Hopkins
Cardiff, Wales, United Kingdom

Thomas

Distinguished
Jun 27, 2003

Richard Hopkins wrote:
>> http://www.anandtech.com/cpuchipsets/showdoc.aspx?i=2382&p=2
>>
>> Too bad it's only compatible with two Asus P4 boards... I do hope it
>> will be a possibility to use it with other brands....
>
> It's an interesting proof of concept. If Asus can do it, there's no
> reason why other manufacturers couldn't. Whether they will is another
> matter tho.

Yeap, that's my consideration too...

> Mind you, from a third party modifier's viewpoint, I'd be interested
> to get hold of one of these cards and see whether the appropriate CPU
> support can be added into an existing BIOS from another
> manufacturer's motherboard.

Very interesting... Too bad I'm not THAT much of a PC expert ;-) And I'm
afraid the mainboard I am using now, the DFI Lanparty 875Pro (pff what a
name) has a low user-base, and isn't very likely to have it's BIOS
modified...

Let's keep praying, though ;-)

--
Thomas

"Thomas" <thomas_@lycos.nl> wrote in message...
> Very interesting... Too bad I'm not THAT much of a PC expert ;-)

I have the ability to do it, but unfortunately the economics behind buying
one of these Asus adapters (and one of the compatible motherboards) and
reverse-engineering the Dothan compatibility doesn't add up, unless some
kind hardware supplier feels like giving me the bits for free!

> And I'm afraid the mainboard I am using now, the DFI Lanparty 875Pro
> (pff what a name) has a low user-base, and isn't very likely to have it's
> BIOS modified...

I have a feeling that the BIOS mods required are actually fairly subtle -
within the range of a home tweaker. Suppose one way to find out would be to
examine the Asus Dothan-compatible and non-Dothan compatible BIOSes to see
how extensive the differences are.
--

Richard Hopkins
Cardiff, Wales, United Kingdom

An interesting product:
o P-M boards are thin on the ground - and expensive
---- typically £190/350$US
---- limited from mainstream board makers, mainly industrial
o P-M board chipsets are somewhat limited
---- slow uptake of the latest P-M chipset, so older functionality

Comes down to the price of the adapter & desktop board.

The industrial P-M board solutions have things in their favour:
o Onboard PCMCIA - re 56k modem, wireless, anything
o Onboard DC-2-DC convertor - re single voltage feed v big ATX

The P-M chip is not particularly cheap - at least in retail package.
It does however very competent processing power for low watts.
The VIA-C3 solution is a bit... lame... it's not a powerful chip, it
may be P2-500+ on integer, but on FPU it's distinctly P2-300.

o DFI -- full P-M board -- low volume v high R&D means big ticket
o Asus -- P-M adapter -- low volume v low R&D means low ticket

My gut feeling is the Asus solution may end up more robust, it
is utilising a broadly proven mainboard solution under it. Literally.
Unfortunately, Speedstep isn't supported re power dissipation :-(

VIA need to come up with a better FPU core - and fast.
--
Dorothy Bradbury
www.dorothybradbury.co.uk for quiet Panaflo fans