HELP! - Overclocking the ASUS P4P800-E Deluxe with P4 3.0E

Last response: in Overclocking
a b K Overclocking
April 5, 2005 10:15:57 AM

I know you guys probably get tired of us newbie’s coming in to ask for
help constantly, but I would really appreciate any and all help that I
can get right now.

I recently replaced a MSI 865PE Neo2-P Platinum
Edition motherboard with the ASUS
P4P800-E Deluxe
because the MSI board was not stable
even when it was running stock (No overclocking at all).

I hated to get rid of the MSI board as it had some really cool
features.

Well, that was then, now I would like to Overclock the ASUS and I
really don’t know much about Overclocking, just some basic stuff.

I have used the built in presets and was able to get the machine to
accept 10% Overclock, but I would really like to run my Intel P4 3.0E
(Prescott) at least up to 3.6GHz (is this
un-realistic??), Can someone, anyone, everyone tell me the best
settings to achive 3.6GHz or higher.

After spending money on new memory, I kind of feel like I should have
just spent it on a faster processor.

Here is my hardware configuration

I went out yesterday and replaced my current memory (listed below)
with these “CORSAIR TWINX1024-3200C2PT CMX512-3200C2 DDR400 CAS-2
PLATINUM EDITION) 2-3- 3-6 latency settings”

Hardware:
Processor: Intel P4 3.0E (Prescott)
Mother Board: ASUS P4P800-E Deluxe with BIOS 1003.004
Processor: Intel P4 3.0E (Prescott)
Memory: Elixir 512mb DDR-400Mhz-cl3 PC3200U-30330
Additional markings: DDR 512mb PC2700U-25330-ZZ
Note: I have two of these memory modules (total 1024MB RAM) installed
as Dual-Channel, Liner Mode
Monitor: IBM P260 21.0-inch Trinitron Color Monitor
Video: ASUS Radeon 9600 SE 128mb
Disk Subsystem: Adaptec SCSI Card 29160LP Low Profile Ultra 160
Power Supply: Antec TrueControl 550 (550 Watt) & Front Control
Panel
Printer: HP Officejet 6110 All-in-One
Mouse: Logitech MX-100 Laser USB Wireless Mouse
Case: CoolerMaster Wave Master Aluminum Case TAC-T01-EK
Kingwin AWC-1 Arctic Liquid Cooler System

Storage:
(x1) COMPAQ HC0183172A SCSI - 18GB -10,000-rpm
(x2) SEAGATE ST39103LW SCSI - 9GB -10,000-rpm
CyberDrv CW088D CD-R/RW USB
ATAPI CD-RW 52X24
NEC DVD-RW ND-3520A
1.44mb 3.5” Floppy

Software:
Windows XP Professional Build 2600.xpsp_sp2_rtm.040803-2158 (Service
Pack 2)
PhotoSuite & Platinum (Build 7.0.430 ENU)
DirectX 9.0c End-User Runtime
Video: ATI CATALYST Windows XP 5.3 .Net Runtime Version 6.14.10.6517
Sound: Realtek ALC Series AC'97 Audio Drivers version 5.10.00.5620
Anonymous
a b K Overclocking
April 8, 2005 2:04:06 PM

"imz14u2nv" <imz14u@optonline-dot-net.no-spam.invalid> wrote in message
> I know you guys probably get tired of us newbie’s coming in to ask for
> help constantly, but I would really appreciate any and all help that I
> can get right now.
>
> I recently replaced a MSI 865PE Neo2-P Platinum
> Edition motherboard with the ASUS
> P4P800-E Deluxe
because the MSI board was not stable
> even when it was running stock (No overclocking at all).
That's a nice board.
http://usa.asus.com/products/mb/socket478/p4p800-e_d/ov...

> I hated to get rid of the MSI board as it had some really cool
> features.
>

> Well, that was then, now I would like to Overclock the ASUS and I
> really don’t know much about Overclocking, just some basic stuff.
>
> I have used the built in presets and was able to get the machine to
> accept 10% Overclock, but I would really like to run my Intel P4 3.0E
> (Prescott) at least up to 3.6GHz (is this
> un-realistic??), Can someone, anyone, everyone tell me the best
> settings to achive 3.6GHz or higher.

Should've just spent a little more and got a (Northwood)
From what I know, if you want to run a (Prescott)@ those speeds,
you need some (Really) Nice cooling like water.
Hope this helps.
April 9, 2005 12:18:11 AM

RavingRaichu wrote:
> "imz14u2nv" <imz14u@optonline-dot-net.no-spam.invalid> wrote in message
>
>>I know you guys probably get tired of us newbie’s coming in to ask for
>>help constantly, but I would really appreciate any and all help that I
>>can get right now.
>>
>>I recently replaced a MSI 865PE Neo2-P Platinum
>>Edition motherboard with the ASUS
>>P4P800-E Deluxe
because the MSI board was not stable
>>even when it was running stock (No overclocking at all).
>
> That's a nice board.
> http://usa.asus.com/products/mb/socket478/p4p800-e_d/ov...
>

>>I hated to get rid of the MSI board as it had some really cool
>>features.
>>

>>Well, that was then, now I would like to Overclock the ASUS and I
>>really don’t know much about Overclocking, just some basic stuff.
>>
>>I have used the built in presets and was able to get the machine to
>>accept 10% Overclock, but I would really like to run my Intel P4 3.0E
>>(Prescott) at least up to 3.6GHz (is this
>>un-realistic??), Can someone, anyone, everyone tell me the best
>>settings to achive 3.6GHz or higher.

> Should've just spent a little more and got a (Northwood)
> From what I know, if you want to run a (Prescott)@ those speeds,
> you need some (Really) Nice cooling like water.
> Hope this helps.

I'm currently running 4.5Ghz from a 3.4 P4 on an Asuse P4P800ED bord. I
've done extencive modding. Adding additional Chip heat sinks, vdim,
and other mods to obtain this speed. I've been running at this speed
for over a year with out issues.
The biggest problem I've found was my power supply. I've recently
upgraded to an Antec 550. This solved my problem with my 3.3V dipping
below 3.28V. This particular power supply allows you dial in throes
voltages. Works great. OBTW I'm an extreme Oder and I do not recommend
trying this much of an overclock unless your on Vapor.
Anonymous
a b K Overclocking
April 9, 2005 8:30:44 AM

How do you know that your 3.3 volt rail dips below 3.28? And if it were to
dip that low, why do you think that makes a difference?

Phil Weldon

"Pig" <jasons23@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> RavingRaichu wrote:
>> "imz14u2nv" <imz14u@optonline-dot-net.no-spam.invalid> wrote in message
>>
>>>I know you guys probably get tired of us newbie’s coming in to ask for
>>>help constantly, but I would really appreciate any and all help that I
>>>can get right now.
>>>
>>>I recently replaced a MSI 865PE Neo2-P Platinum
>>>Edition motherboard with the ASUS
>>>P4P800-E Deluxe
because the MSI board was not stable
>>>even when it was running stock (No overclocking at all).
>>
>> That's a nice board.
>> http://usa.asus.com/products/mb/socket478/p4p800-e_d/ov...
>>

>>>I hated to get rid of the MSI board as it had some really cool
>>>features.
>>>

>>>Well, that was then, now I would like to Overclock the ASUS and I
>>>really don’t know much about Overclocking, just some basic stuff.
>>>
>>>I have used the built in presets and was able to get the machine to
>>>accept 10% Overclock, but I would really like to run my Intel P4 3.0E
>>>(Prescott) at least up to 3.6GHz (is this
>>>un-realistic??), Can someone, anyone, everyone tell me the best
>>>settings to achive 3.6GHz or higher.

>> Should've just spent a little more and got a (Northwood)
>> From what I know, if you want to run a (Prescott)@ those speeds,
>> you need some (Really) Nice cooling like water.
>> Hope this helps.
>>

> I'm currently running 4.5Ghz from a 3.4 P4 on an Asuse P4P800ED bord. I
> 've done extencive modding. Adding additional Chip heat sinks, vdim, and
> other mods to obtain this speed. I've been running at this speed for over
> a year with out issues.
> The biggest problem I've found was my power supply. I've recently
> upgraded to an Antec 550. This solved my problem with my 3.3V dipping
> below 3.28V. This particular power supply allows you dial in throes
> voltages. Works great. OBTW I'm an extreme Oder and I do not recommend
> trying this much of an overclock unless your on Vapor.
Anonymous
a b K Overclocking
April 10, 2005 8:45:49 PM

"imz14u2nv" <imz14u@optonline-dot-net.no-spam.invalid> wrote in message
>I know you guys probably get tired of us newbie’s coming in to ask for
> help constantly, but I would really appreciate any and all help that I
> can get right now.
>
> I recently replaced a MSI 865PE Neo2-P Platinum
> Edition motherboard with the ASUS
> P4P800-E Deluxe
because the MSI board was not stable
> even when it was running stock (No overclocking at all).
>
> I hated to get rid of the MSI board as it had some really cool
> features.
>

> Well, that was then, now I would like to Overclock the ASUS and I
> really don’t know much about Overclocking, just some basic stuff.
>
> I have used the built in presets and was able to get the machine to
> accept 10% Overclock, but I would really like to run my Intel P4 3.0E
> (Prescott) at least up to 3.6GHz (is this
> un-realistic??), Can someone, anyone, everyone tell me the best
> settings to achive 3.6GHz or higher.

> After spending money on new memory, I kind of feel like I should have
> just spent it on a faster processor.
>
> Here is my hardware configuration
>
> I went out yesterday and replaced my current memory (listed below)
> with these “CORSAIR TWINX1024-3200C2PT CMX512-3200C2 DDR400 CAS-2
> PLATINUM EDITION) 2-3- 3-6 latency settings”
>
> Hardware:
> Processor: Intel P4 3.0E (Prescott)
> Mother Board: ASUS P4P800-E Deluxe with BIOS 1003.004
> Processor: Intel P4 3.0E (Prescott)
> Memory: Elixir 512mb DDR-400Mhz-cl3 PC3200U-30330
> Additional markings: DDR 512mb PC2700U-25330-ZZ
> Note: I have two of these memory modules (total 1024MB RAM) installed
> as Dual-Channel, Liner Mode
> Monitor: IBM P260 21.0-inch Trinitron Color Monitor
> Video: ASUS Radeon 9600 SE 128mb
> Disk Subsystem: Adaptec SCSI Card 29160LP Low Profile Ultra 160
> Power Supply: Antec TrueControl 550 (550 Watt) & Front Control
> Panel
> Printer: HP Officejet 6110 All-in-One
> Mouse: Logitech MX-100 Laser USB Wireless Mouse
> Case: CoolerMaster Wave Master Aluminum Case TAC-T01-EK
> Kingwin AWC-1 Arctic Liquid Cooler System
>
> Storage:
> (x1) COMPAQ HC0183172A SCSI - 18GB -10,000-rpm
> (x2) SEAGATE ST39103LW SCSI - 9GB -10,000-rpm
> CyberDrv CW088D CD-R/RW USB
> ATAPI CD-RW 52X24
> NEC DVD-RW ND-3520A
> 1.44mb 3.5” Floppy
>
> Software:
> Windows XP Professional Build 2600.xpsp_sp2_rtm.040803-2158 (Service
> Pack 2)
> PhotoSuite & Platinum (Build 7.0.430 ENU)
> DirectX 9.0c End-User Runtime
> Video: ATI CATALYST Windows XP 5.3 .Net Runtime Version 6.14.10.6517
> Sound: Realtek ALC Series AC'97 Audio Drivers version 5.10.00.5620

With the P4P800, you should not use the presets.
First go in the bios to the advanced settings and "Jumper Free"
configuration. There lock the AGP/PCI fqcy on 66.66/33.33. Because your RAM
is Corsair 3200, you will not be able to overclock at 1:1 ratio (400 MHz)
and will have to reduce the ratio to 5:4 (320 MHz) in the "DRAM frequency"
setting.
Set the "AI overclock tuner" to "manual". Now you can start to increase the
FSB speed under "CPU external frequency". Do this step by step with steps of
5 MHz and check each time for system stability.
Theoretically, your RAM would be able to support a fsb speed of 250 MHz
which brings it back to it's nominal frequency (250*4/5 = 200), but your
Prescott CPU will surely not make it without extra cooling and voltage
adjustments. You could however expect to be able to reach a 230 MHz fsb
speed (cpu at 3.45 MHz) without trouble. After each new setting, watch your
CPU temps with the Asus probe!!!
Note that at that speed your RAM is still underclocked and that depending of
the application, this could result in lower total performance. What you win
in CPU speed, you loose in RAM speed.
Therefor, I would not recommand to overclock your system if you don't plan
to change your RAM (for example for Corsair PC4000 or higher).
One last point is about some Asus special features: the "performance mode"
and the "memory acceleration mode" (in the chipset settings). First try to
desable them all (MAM disabled, Performance mode on standard), because those
could cause your system to refuse to boot. Once you've reached a fsb that' s
high enough and stable, try to enable the MAM and later to set the
performance on turbo. Don't do both operations at the same time.
Just be warned that if your system refuses to boot after too much agressive
settings, you will probably need to disconnect the power plug of your system
for one or two minutes before it accepts to boot again.
Good luck!
!