how to overclock dell p4

what do i need or how do i overclock my processor.. i have a dell
computer with these cpu specs:

p4 northwood
2.0 ghz
100 fsb
400 bus speed
512 l2 cache

A new motherboard and probably a new system case (if the new motherboard
won't fit.) Dell computers and computers by other large manufacturers don't
include the BIOS settings/jumpers necessary for overclocking.

Phil Weldon

"Phil Weldon" wrote in message...
>A new motherboard and probably a new system case...

Might have to add a new power supply to that as well. IIRC Dell used (use?)
a non-standard pin-out for the ATX power supply plug on a significant amount
of their product range over the last few years.

Short of manually testing each pin with a meter, pulling and reinserting
them in the conventional ATX configuration, buying a new PSU might be an
easier, and far less time-consuming option.
--

Richard Hopkins
Cardiff, Wales, United Kingdom

I just repaired a Dell Dimension 4000 for my son. A standard ATX12V worked
fine as a replacement power supply.

The repair also required an exact replacement motherboard (bought on eBay)
because a non-Dell motherboard would have made the Dell supplied Windows
operating system disks useless, wouldn't have been a good physical fit, and
front panel connectors wouldn't have mated.

Phil Weldon

"Richard Hopkins" <richh@dsl.nospam.com> wrote in message
> "Phil Weldon" wrote in message...
>>A new motherboard and probably a new system case...
>
> Might have to add a new power supply to that as well. IIRC Dell used
> (use?) a non-standard pin-out for the ATX power supply plug on a
> significant amount of their product range over the last few years.
>
> Short of manually testing each pin with a meter, pulling and reinserting
> them in the conventional ATX configuration, buying a new PSU might be an
> easier, and far less time-consuming option.
> --
>

> Richard Hopkins
> Cardiff, Wales, United Kingdom
> (replace nospam with pipex in reply address)
>
> The UK's leading technology reseller www.dabs.com

"pez" <pezjb@hotmail-dot-com.no-spam.invalid> wrote in message
> what do i need or how do i overclock my processor.. i have a dell
> computer with these cpu specs:
>
> p4 northwood
> 2.0 ghz
> 100 fsb
> 400 bus speed
> 512 l2 cache

There's only one way I know of to overclock a Dell.
Download CPUCooL @ http://www.cpufsb.de/CPUCOOL.HTM, there's an A-Bit
setting that's suppose to work.
I read about it a while ago, and believe or not, it works.
RavingRaichu. ;-)

And "... believe it or not, it works." is base on reading about it?

Phil Weldon

"Phil Weldon" <notdiscosed@example.com> wrote in message
> And "... believe it or not, it works." is base on reading about it?
>
> Phil Weldon

Who said he could read?

MC

> "RavingRaichu" <ravingraichu@comcast.net> wrote in message
>> "pez" <pezjb@hotmail-dot-com.no-spam.invalid> wrote in message
>>> what do i need or how do i overclock my processor.. i have a dell
>>> computer with these cpu specs:
>>>
>>> p4 northwood
>>> 2.0 ghz
>>> 100 fsb
>>> 400 bus speed

"ModeratelyConfused" <moderatelyconfused@guess.com> wrote in message

> "Phil Weldon" <notdiscosed@example.com> wrote in message
> > And "... believe it or not, it works." is base on reading about it?
> >
> > Phil Weldon
>
> Who said he could read?
LOL.. :)
http://forums.ocfaq.com/showthread.php?s=0e7813425cc262c6827c6a04cb9b2796&t=
3641
I knew I could find something.
I had remembered reading it, I just didn't remember where.
Hey, Dell has to get their boards from some company, it would maybe cost too
much
to make their own, so pay some1 else to do it.
My best guess is Dell don't even spend 100$ on the systems they charge
399.95 for.

RavingRaichu.. ;-)

> MC
>
> > "RavingRaichu" <ravingraichu@comcast.net> wrote in message
> >> "pez" <pezjb@hotmail-dot-com.no-spam.invalid> wrote in message

> >> There's only one way I know of to overclock a Dell.
> >> Download CPUCooL @ http://www.cpufsb.de/CPUCOOL.HTM, there's an A-Bit
> >> setting that's suppose to work.
> >> I read about it a while ago, and believe or not, it works.
> >> RavingRaichu. ;-)

Yeah, right. Reading is not enough... intelligence and experience should be
applied before posting. To quote from two posts at the URL you gave:

#1. "Many, many thanks for your reply. It does indeed work. My clockspeed
shows up straight away in MyComputer's properties as 1.6GHz, when BEFORE it
said '1.5-somethingGHz'."

#2a. "Now, I tried this trick, and it works, my P4 2.8 reaches 3 Ghz with no
effort whatsoever, the only problem I've found so far is that instead of
gaining performance, I loose about 50% of the processor speed, and get some
nasty noises from my sound card..."

#2b. " found that if I increase the clock in small increments I'm able to
reach 3.1 Ghz without the sound problem, and I can increase my scores by up
to 12% in all benchmarks (sisoft sandra, pcmark, and about 6% in 3dmark05)."

The #2b. posting (a follow-up to #2a.) is especially interesting since
increasing the CPU clock by 300 MHz (from 2800 MHz) is an overclock of only
10%, the reported 12% benchmark performance increase is highly unlikely.
Thus the need to apply experience and intelligence to anything you read.
Especially before posting, and especially posting with the tag "I read about

> "ModeratelyConfused" <moderatelyconfused@guess.com> wrote in message
>>
>> "Phil Weldon" <notdiscosed@example.com> wrote in message
>> > And "... believe it or not, it works." is base on reading about it?
>> >
>> > Phil Weldon
>>
>> Who said he could read?
> LOL.. :)
> http://forums.ocfaq.com/showthread.php?s=0e7813425cc262c6827c6a04cb9b2796&t=
> 3641
> I knew I could find something.
> I had remembered reading it, I just didn't remember where.
> Hey, Dell has to get their boards from some company, it would maybe cost
> too
> much
> to make their own, so pay some1 else to do it.
> My best guess is Dell don't even spend 100$ on the systems they charge
> 399.95 for.
>
> RavingRaichu.. ;-)
>

>> MC
>>
>> > "RavingRaichu" <ravingraichu@comcast.net> wrote in message

The point was only that it can be done, not how well it can be done.

In article <H6mdnfnbP_qjdsDfRVn-sQ@comcast.com>, RavingRaichu
<ravingraichu@comcast.net> writes
>The point was only that it can be done, not how well it can be done.

Watch out for the fine line that separates bodging and botching.
--
Roger Hunt

"Roger Hunt" wrote in message...
> Watch out for the fine line that separates bodging and botching.

I'm not sure Denny/Raichu can spell either of those words, let alone
differentiate between them.
--

Richard Hopkins
Cardiff, Wales, United Kingdom

Botching I understand, but what is bodging? Is it like deaning?

> "Roger Hunt" wrote in message...
>> Watch out for the fine line that separates bodging and botching.
>
> I'm not sure Denny/Raichu can spell either of those words, let alone
> differentiate between them.
> --
>

> Richard Hopkins
> Cardiff, Wales, United Kingdom
> (replace nospam with pipex in reply address)
>
> The UK's leading technology reseller www.dabs.com

dmac

(because a non-Dell motherboard would have made the Dell supplied Windows
operating system disks useless)

check that out, my Dell XP home is a full install disc even though it says
Dell on it. After building new one and using Dell 4500 for parts I used the
Dell XP home disk for an OS.

--
Dave MacLeod
remove 1 to reply

Radeon 9800 Pro 256 MB AGP

In article <7my7e.5565$go4.828@newsread2.news.atl.earthlink.net>, Phil
Weldon <notdiscosed@example.com> writes
>Botching I understand, but what is bodging? Is it like deaning?

A bodge is a brilliant improvisation, which works.
(What's deaning?)
--
Roger Hunt

Deaning (evidently no longer in use) is rendering inoperable anything
touched. Named for a mythical ham radio operator who broke what didn't need
fixing in the first place.

Phil Weldon

In article <wcA7e.6936$sp3.3546@newsread3.news.atl.earthlink.net>, Phil
Weldon <notdiscosed@example.com> writes
>Deaning (evidently no longer in use) is rendering inoperable anything
>touched. Named for a mythical ham radio operator who broke what didn't need
>fixing in the first place.

<g>
I've done a bit of that in my time.
--
Roger Hunt

Phil Weldon wrote:
> Deaning (evidently no longer in use) is rendering inoperable anything
> touched. Named for a mythical ham radio operator who broke what didn't need
> fixing in the first place.

Do a web search for "deaning" and you get a lot of references to Howard
Dean and "The Deaning of America."

Makes for a fascinating take in light of your definition =:O)

> Phil Weldon
>
> "Roger Hunt" <x@carewg.demon.co.uk> wrote in message
>
>>In article <7my7e.5565$go4.828@newsread2.news.atl.earthlink.net>, Phil
>>Weldon <notdiscosed@example.com> writes
>>
>>>Botching I understand, but what is bodging? Is it like deaning?
>>>

>>A bodge is a brilliant improvisation, which works.
>>(What's deaning?)
>>--
>>Roger Hunt

That's nice to know. I take care of two Dell Notebooks that do have a Dell
BIOS requirment. I never checked the Install CD for the Dimension 4000 I
repaired for that requirement.

I'll check next time (while hoping that won't be necessary.

Phil Weldon

"dmac" <dmacleo@midmaine1.com> wrote in message
> (because a non-Dell motherboard would have made the Dell supplied Windows
> operating system disks useless)
>
> check that out, my Dell XP home is a full install disc even though it says
> Dell on it. After building new one and using Dell 4500 for parts I used
> the Dell XP home disk for an OS.
>

> --
> Dave MacLeod
> remove 1 to reply
> P4 2.8 OC 3.15
> Gigabyte GA-8IK1100 Rev 1
> 1 GB DDR 466 Buffalo Tech
> Twin Seagate 120 SATA set Raid 0
>

> Radeon 9800 Pro 256 MB AGP
> "Phil Weldon" <notdiscosed@example.com> wrote in message
>>I just repaired a Dell Dimension 4000 for my son. A standard ATX12V
>>worked fine as a replacement power supply.
>>
>> The repair also required an exact replacement motherboard (bought on
>> eBay) because a non-Dell motherboard would have made the Dell supplied
>> Windows operating system disks useless, wouldn't have been a good
>> physical fit, and front panel connectors wouldn't have mated.
>>
>> Phil Weldon
>>

>> "Richard Hopkins" <richh@dsl.nospam.com> wrote in message
>>>
>>> Might have to add a new power supply to that as well. IIRC Dell used
>>> (use?) a non-standard pin-out for the ATX power supply plug on a
>>> significant amount of their product range over the last few years.
>>>
>>> Short of manually testing each pin with a meter, pulling and reinserting
>>> them in the conventional ATX configuration, buying a new PSU might be an
>>> easier, and far less time-consuming option.
>>> --
>>>

>>> Richard Hopkins
>>> Cardiff, Wales, United Kingdom
>>> (replace nospam with pipex in reply address)
>>>
>>> The UK's leading technology reseller www.dabs.com

> News==----
> Newsgroups
> =----

Yeah, but you probably learned from the experience, unlike Dean. I'm sure
that anyone who knows anything has learned that way B^)

> In article <wcA7e.6936$sp3.3546@newsread3.news.atl.earthlink.net>, Phil
> Weldon <notdiscosed@example.com> writes
>>Deaning (evidently no longer in use) is rendering inoperable anything
>>touched. Named for a mythical ham radio operator who broke what didn't
>>need
>>fixing in the first place.
>>
> <g>
> I've done a bit of that in my time.
> --
> Roger Hunt

"Roger Hunt" <x@carewg.demon.co.uk> wrote in message
> In article <7my7e.5565$go4.828@newsread2.news.atl.earthlink.net>, Phil
> Weldon <notdiscosed@example.com> writes
> >Botching I understand, but what is bodging? Is it like deaning?
> >
> A bodge is a brilliant improvisation, which works.
> (What's deaning?)
> --
> Roger Hunt
Dah, huh?
Any1 can Botch something up.
But as some1 on here said, when it comes to computer repair, working on
real systems is the real experience you need.
Not all the Certs. one has.

Sorry to take so long for this reply..

RavingRaichu.