Foxconn Motherboards?

Last response: in Overclocking
Share
April 16, 2005 12:47:51 AM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.overclocking (More info?)

I need a 800 MHz FSB, socket 478, HT motherboard. I wanted a cheap board
that can be overclocked. Was looking at SIS 648FX and SIS 655FX boards and
the cheapest one with lockable AGP/PCI speed was the Foxconn 655A01-FX-6LRS.
http://www.foxconnchannel.com/products_motherboard_2.cf...
All the other ~$40 motherboards (ASRock PT880) had poor overclocking reviews
due to non-lockable bus frequency. A review on newegg.com reported good
overclocking success with this board.

Anyone have any experience with Foxconn?

More about : foxconn motherboards

Anonymous
a b K Overclocking
a b V Motherboard
April 16, 2005 8:36:33 AM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.overclocking (More info?)

Well, do you really want to go through the struggle to get good overclocking
performance, never really knowing if the problem is a cheap motherboard?

Usually, overclocking is accomplished by trading the extra performance
marigins built into your equipment for the ability to run at higher than
normal speed, as well as exceeding specified voltages and reducing
operating temperatures.

If you start off by getting a less well made motherboard, possibly not
really configured for easy overclocking, where will you end up?

Phil Weldon

"Kent_Diego" <None@Nomicrosoft.com> wrote in message
>I need a 800 MHz FSB, socket 478, HT motherboard. I wanted a cheap board
>that can be overclocked. Was looking at SIS 648FX and SIS 655FX boards and
>the cheapest one with lockable AGP/PCI speed was the Foxconn
>655A01-FX-6LRS.
> http://www.foxconnchannel.com/products_motherboard_2.cf...
> All the other ~$40 motherboards (ASRock PT880) had poor overclocking
> reviews due to non-lockable bus frequency. A review on newegg.com reported
> good overclocking success with this board.
>
> Anyone have any experience with Foxconn?

April 16, 2005 8:36:34 AM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.overclocking (More info?)

> Well, do you really want to go through the struggle to get good
> overclocking performance, never really knowing if the problem is a cheap
> motherboard?
> .
>
> If you start off by getting a less well made motherboard, possibly not
> really configured for easy overclocking, where will you end up?

You have to draw the line somewhere. I could get a $200 motherboard, but
with a $45 MB, I can spend extra $155 on faster processor, etc... It never
stops. No matter how much you spend, you are going to through it away in a
few years (or sooner).
I have bought expensive name brand MB's that did not OC well at all (like
ABIT SE6) and the capacitors popped after a few years. I am hoping to find
cheep MB that can meet my minimum needs. The option for locked AGP/PCI bus
frequency is not too much to ask for. It seems a few people have had good
luck with the Foxconn and I was hoping for more opinions.
Related resources
April 16, 2005 1:38:08 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.overclocking (More info?)

There is 11 reviews on newegg for people who have bought this, how many more
do you need?

"Kent_Diego" <None@Nomicrosoft.com> wrote in message
> I need a 800 MHz FSB, socket 478, HT motherboard. I wanted a cheap board
> that can be overclocked. Was looking at SIS 648FX and SIS 655FX boards and
> the cheapest one with lockable AGP/PCI speed was the Foxconn
655A01-FX-6LRS.

http://www.foxconnchannel.com/products_motherboard_2.cf...
> All the other ~$40 motherboards (ASRock PT880) had poor overclocking
reviews
> due to non-lockable bus frequency. A review on newegg.com reported good
> overclocking success with this board.
>
> Anyone have any experience with Foxconn?

Anonymous
a b K Overclocking
a b V Motherboard
April 16, 2005 6:08:52 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.overclocking (More info?)

In article <IV%7e.36$Xg.22@okepread02>, Kent_Diego says...
> I need a 800 MHz FSB, socket 478, HT motherboard. I wanted a cheap board
> that can be overclocked. Was looking at SIS 648FX and SIS 655FX boards and
> the cheapest one with lockable AGP/PCI speed was the Foxconn 655A01-FX-6LRS.
> http://www.foxconnchannel.com/products_motherboard_2.cf...
> All the other ~$40 motherboards (ASRock PT880) had poor overclocking reviews
> due to non-lockable bus frequency. A review on newegg.com reported good
> overclocking success with this board.
>
> Anyone have any experience with Foxconn?

PC Format did a review. Said it had very little overclocking potential
and had very little extra in the box. Overall they said there had been
alot of corners cut.

--
Conor

"Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most." O.Osbourne.
Anonymous
a b K Overclocking
a b V Motherboard
April 17, 2005 3:08:01 AM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.overclocking (More info?)

On Sat, 16 Apr 2005 09:38:08 -0400, "doS"
<kobo65@hotREmoveThismail.com> wrote:

>There is 11 reviews on newegg for people who have bought this, how many more
>do you need?

Newegg reviews are usefull to find problems with parts but
not so much to find parts without problems or compare
products. Some of the worst parts in any category end up
getting some good reviews on Newegg's site, leading one to
suspect that the reviewers must have a company affiliation
or just be clueless about how (any particular product)
actually compares to any other alternatives. One really has
to ask "if a poor product is given a good rating, what on
earth could they be comparing it TO?"
Anonymous
a b K Overclocking
a b V Motherboard
April 17, 2005 5:27:54 AM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.overclocking (More info?)

One they don't sell?

Phil Weldon

"kony" <spam@spam.com> wrote in message > Newegg reviews are usefull to find
problems with parts but
> not so much to find parts without problems or compare
> products. Some of the worst parts in any category end up
> getting some good reviews on Newegg's site, leading one to
> suspect that the reviewers must have a company affiliation
> or just be clueless about how (any particular product)
> actually compares to any other alternatives. One really has
> to ask "if a poor product is given a good rating, what on
> earth could they be comparing it TO?"
Anonymous
a b K Overclocking
a b V Motherboard
April 17, 2005 9:43:16 AM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.overclocking (More info?)

On Sun, 17 Apr 2005 01:27:54 GMT, "Phil Weldon"
<notdiscosed@example.com> wrote:

>One they don't sell?
>
>Phil Weldon

I was thinking "nothing"... This $3 case that sways when the
wind blows, is GREAT compared to no case at all.
Anonymous
a b K Overclocking
a b V Motherboard
April 17, 2005 1:27:40 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.overclocking (More info?)

Me.... I'd say give it a go.

Foxconn aren't exactly newcomers to the PC game. If you look at almost any
motherboard you'll find Foxconn components. I seem to remember that there
was recent talk of a merger with MSI. When "slumming it" I've often had good
results with PCChips boards....

I absolutely agree on your point about "where to draw the line". So! Why
don't you by the $45 mobo, and give it a whirl. If your not happy with it
unload it on Ebay and take a ~$20 hit. Then you will have your answer, and
make your next purchasing decision accordingly.

Pete

!