Foxconn Motherboards?

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.overclocking (More info?)

I need a 800 MHz FSB, socket 478, HT motherboard. I wanted a cheap board
that can be overclocked. Was looking at SIS 648FX and SIS 655FX boards and
the cheapest one with lockable AGP/PCI speed was the Foxconn 655A01-FX-6LRS.
http://www.foxconnchannel.com/products_motherboard_2.cfm?pName=655A01-FX-6LRS
All the other ~$40 motherboards (ASRock PT880) had poor overclocking reviews
due to non-lockable bus frequency. A review on newegg.com reported good
overclocking success with this board.

Anyone have any experience with Foxconn?
8 answers Last reply
More about foxconn motherboards
  1. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.overclocking (More info?)

    Well, do you really want to go through the struggle to get good overclocking
    performance, never really knowing if the problem is a cheap motherboard?

    Usually, overclocking is accomplished by trading the extra performance
    marigins built into your equipment for the ability to run at higher than
    normal speed, as well as exceeding specified voltages and reducing
    operating temperatures.

    If you start off by getting a less well made motherboard, possibly not
    really configured for easy overclocking, where will you end up?

    Phil Weldon

    "Kent_Diego" <None@Nomicrosoft.com> wrote in message
    >I need a 800 MHz FSB, socket 478, HT motherboard. I wanted a cheap board
    >that can be overclocked. Was looking at SIS 648FX and SIS 655FX boards and
    >the cheapest one with lockable AGP/PCI speed was the Foxconn
    >655A01-FX-6LRS.
    > http://www.foxconnchannel.com/products_motherboard_2.cfm?pName=655A01-FX-6LRS
    > All the other ~$40 motherboards (ASRock PT880) had poor overclocking
    > reviews due to non-lockable bus frequency. A review on newegg.com reported
    > good overclocking success with this board.
    >
    > Anyone have any experience with Foxconn?

  2. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.overclocking (More info?)

    > Well, do you really want to go through the struggle to get good
    > overclocking performance, never really knowing if the problem is a cheap
    > motherboard?
    > .
    >
    > If you start off by getting a less well made motherboard, possibly not
    > really configured for easy overclocking, where will you end up?

    You have to draw the line somewhere. I could get a $200 motherboard, but
    with a $45 MB, I can spend extra $155 on faster processor, etc... It never
    stops. No matter how much you spend, you are going to through it away in a
    few years (or sooner).
    I have bought expensive name brand MB's that did not OC well at all (like
    ABIT SE6) and the capacitors popped after a few years. I am hoping to find
    cheep MB that can meet my minimum needs. The option for locked AGP/PCI bus
    frequency is not too much to ask for. It seems a few people have had good
    luck with the Foxconn and I was hoping for more opinions.
  3. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.overclocking (More info?)

    There is 11 reviews on newegg for people who have bought this, how many more
    do you need?

    "Kent_Diego" <None@Nomicrosoft.com> wrote in message
    > I need a 800 MHz FSB, socket 478, HT motherboard. I wanted a cheap board
    > that can be overclocked. Was looking at SIS 648FX and SIS 655FX boards and
    > the cheapest one with lockable AGP/PCI speed was the Foxconn
    655A01-FX-6LRS.

    http://www.foxconnchannel.com/products_motherboard_2.cfm?pName=655A01-FX-6LR
    > All the other ~$40 motherboards (ASRock PT880) had poor overclocking
    reviews
    > due to non-lockable bus frequency. A review on newegg.com reported good
    > overclocking success with this board.
    >
    > Anyone have any experience with Foxconn?

  4. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.overclocking (More info?)

    In article <IV%7e.36$Xg.22@okepread02>, Kent_Diego says...
    > I need a 800 MHz FSB, socket 478, HT motherboard. I wanted a cheap board
    > that can be overclocked. Was looking at SIS 648FX and SIS 655FX boards and
    > the cheapest one with lockable AGP/PCI speed was the Foxconn 655A01-FX-6LRS.
    > http://www.foxconnchannel.com/products_motherboard_2.cfm?pName=655A01-FX-6LRS
    > All the other ~$40 motherboards (ASRock PT880) had poor overclocking reviews
    > due to non-lockable bus frequency. A review on newegg.com reported good
    > overclocking success with this board.
    >
    > Anyone have any experience with Foxconn?

    PC Format did a review. Said it had very little overclocking potential
    and had very little extra in the box. Overall they said there had been
    alot of corners cut.

    --
    Conor

    "Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most." O.Osbourne.
  5. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.overclocking (More info?)

    On Sat, 16 Apr 2005 09:38:08 -0400, "doS"
    <kobo65@hotREmoveThismail.com> wrote:

    >There is 11 reviews on newegg for people who have bought this, how many more
    >do you need?

    Newegg reviews are usefull to find problems with parts but
    not so much to find parts without problems or compare
    products. Some of the worst parts in any category end up
    getting some good reviews on Newegg's site, leading one to
    suspect that the reviewers must have a company affiliation
    or just be clueless about how (any particular product)
    actually compares to any other alternatives. One really has
    to ask "if a poor product is given a good rating, what on
    earth could they be comparing it TO?"
  6. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.overclocking (More info?)

    One they don't sell?

    Phil Weldon

    "kony" <spam@spam.com> wrote in message > Newegg reviews are usefull to find
    problems with parts but
    > not so much to find parts without problems or compare
    > products. Some of the worst parts in any category end up
    > getting some good reviews on Newegg's site, leading one to
    > suspect that the reviewers must have a company affiliation
    > or just be clueless about how (any particular product)
    > actually compares to any other alternatives. One really has
    > to ask "if a poor product is given a good rating, what on
    > earth could they be comparing it TO?"
  7. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.overclocking (More info?)

    On Sun, 17 Apr 2005 01:27:54 GMT, "Phil Weldon"
    <notdiscosed@example.com> wrote:

    >One they don't sell?
    >
    >Phil Weldon

    I was thinking "nothing"... This $3 case that sways when the
    wind blows, is GREAT compared to no case at all.
  8. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.overclocking (More info?)

    Me.... I'd say give it a go.

    Foxconn aren't exactly newcomers to the PC game. If you look at almost any
    motherboard you'll find Foxconn components. I seem to remember that there
    was recent talk of a merger with MSI. When "slumming it" I've often had good
    results with PCChips boards....

    I absolutely agree on your point about "where to draw the line". So! Why
    don't you by the $45 mobo, and give it a whirl. If your not happy with it
    unload it on Ebay and take a ~$20 hit. Then you will have your answer, and
    make your next purchasing decision accordingly.

    Pete

    >> Well, do you really want to go through the struggle to get good
    >> overclocking performance, never really knowing if the problem is a cheap
    >> motherboard?
    >> .
    >>
    >> If you start off by getting a less well made motherboard, possibly not
    >> really configured for easy overclocking, where will you end up?
    >>

    > You have to draw the line somewhere. I could get a $200 motherboard, but
    > with a $45 MB, I can spend extra $155 on faster processor, etc... It never
    > stops. No matter how much you spend, you are going to through it away in a
    > few years (or sooner).
    > I have bought expensive name brand MB's that did not OC well at all (like
    > ABIT SE6) and the capacitors popped after a few years. I am hoping to find
    > cheep MB that can meet my minimum needs. The option for locked AGP/PCI bus
    > frequency is not too much to ask for. It seems a few people have had good
    > luck with the Foxconn and I was hoping for more opinions.

Overclocking Foxconn Motherboards