HELP: Overclock P3 600E on a Tyan S1854 Trinity 400

Last response: in Overclocking
a b K Overclocking
April 18, 2005 2:25:06 AM

hi,
I've got a Pentium 3 Coppermine socket 370 600E (100 x 6.0) on a Tyan
Trinity 400 S1854 chipset Apollo pro 133A. Multipliers can be set up by
changing jumpers and the FSB can be changed via BIOS.....busses have already
a correct setting.....
FSB is the only bottle-neck.....

But it seems to be completely locked!

If I change FSB via BIOS PC even does not boot and the only way to make it
work again is to clear cmos.....and I hadn't tryed yet to change the
multiplier....

I would like to change FSB and to reduce the multiplier in order to have a
more performant system running at 133x5 without stress it too much.....is it
possible?

Is there any way to make it work?

Thanks
Anonymous
a b K Overclocking
April 18, 2005 2:40:22 AM

It is not possible to change the multiplier on Intel CPUs after the Pentium
II 333.
Multiplier jumper settings and BIOS multiplier have no effect on any Pentium
III, Pentium 4, or Xeon CPUs.
Overclocking usually requires more than just raising the FSB speed;
possibilites are
Changing the PCI/FSB ratio to keep the PCI bus speed below 39 MHz
raising the CPU core voltage
improving CPU cooling.

A Pentium III 600 MHz coppermine has overclocking potential, but probably
not with the Tyan 400 S1854 socket 370 motherboard.

Phil Weldon

"Nope" <SeLoMettoMiSpammano@tin.it> wrote in message
> hi,
> I've got a Pentium 3 Coppermine socket 370 600E (100 x 6.0) on a Tyan
> Trinity 400 S1854 chipset Apollo pro 133A. Multipliers can be set up by
> changing jumpers and the FSB can be changed via BIOS.....busses have
> already a correct setting.....
> FSB is the only bottle-neck.....
>
> But it seems to be completely locked!
>
> If I change FSB via BIOS PC even does not boot and the only way to make it
> work again is to clear cmos.....and I hadn't tryed yet to change the
> multiplier....
>
> I would like to change FSB and to reduce the multiplier in order to have a
> more performant system running at 133x5 without stress it too much.....is
> it possible?
>
> Is there any way to make it work?
>
> Thanks

Anonymous
a b K Overclocking
April 18, 2005 4:14:42 AM

Nope wrote:
> hi,
> I've got a Pentium 3 Coppermine socket 370 600E (100 x 6.0) on a Tyan
> Trinity 400 S1854 chipset Apollo pro 133A. Multipliers can be set up by
> changing jumpers

The jumpers won't do anything as the multiplier is set on the chip and is
not adjustable.

> and the FSB can be changed via BIOS.....busses have already
> a correct setting.....
> FSB is the only bottle-neck.....
>
> But it seems to be completely locked!

Yep.

> If I change FSB via BIOS PC even does not boot and the only way to make it
> work again is to clear cmos.....and I hadn't tryed yet to change the
> multiplier....

Overclocking a 600E to 800/133 should be doable if you increase the core
voltage and have a good heatsink.

> I would like to change FSB and to reduce the multiplier in order to have a
> more performant system running at 133x5 without stress it too much.....is it
> possible?

No.

> Is there any way to make it work?
>
> Thanks

a b K Overclocking
April 18, 2005 7:19:25 AM

"Nope" <SeLoMettoMiSpammano@tin.it> wrote in message...
> I've got a Pentium 3 Coppermine socket 370 600E (100 x 6.0)
> on a Tyan Trinity 400 S1854 chipset Apollo pro 133A.

Uh-huh.

> Multipliers can be set up by changing jumpers

That is a moot point, as the multiplier on your CPU is locked onboard at
6.0x.

> and the FSB can be changed via BIOS....

Changing the FSB is the only way in which you can overclock your CPU. Of
course, changing the FSB will have an effect on other factors, notably the
memory bus and PCI/AGP frequencies.

> If I change FSB via BIOS PC even does not boot

As mentioned above, changing the FSB will affect many things in addition to
the CPU speed. We can't tell you from our vantage point exactly what is
causing the POST failure, partly because you haven't given us enough
information (what have you changed the FSB to?). Ultimately the only person
able to find all the answers is you, as you're the only one with your PC in
front of you.

> and I hadn't tryed yet to change the multiplier....

As mentioned above, there's no point even trying. No matter what you try and
set in the BIOS and/or jumpers, the CPU will always run at 6.0 times the
FSB.

> I would like to change FSB and to reduce the multiplier

....See above

> in order to have a more performant system running
> at 133x5 without stress it too much.....is it possible?

133 x 5 is not possible. However, it's fairly likely that your CPU will run
at 133 x 6 = 800MHz, probably faster, with appropriate cooling, and probably
a small core voltage tweak. Of course you'll need to set the AGP (1/2) and
PCI bus (1/4) dividers appropriately, and you'll either need PC133 memory,
or, in the case of PC100, set the memory bus asynchronously.
--

Richard Hopkins
Cardiff, Wales, United Kingdom

a b K Overclocking
April 18, 2005 10:49:00 PM

I has a 600E running at 800 for over 3 years. It wan't on a Tyan board.
But,you should still be able to raise the FSB to 133 and still have corrrect
ratios. Have you looked for the latest BIOS? It may be tough to find.

"Nope" <SeLoMettoMiSpammano@tin.it> wrote in message
> hi,
> I've got a Pentium 3 Coppermine socket 370 600E (100 x 6.0) on a Tyan
> Trinity 400 S1854 chipset Apollo pro 133A. Multipliers can be set up by
> changing jumpers and the FSB can be changed via BIOS.....busses have
already
> a correct setting.....
> FSB is the only bottle-neck.....
>
> But it seems to be completely locked!
>
> If I change FSB via BIOS PC even does not boot and the only way to make it
> work again is to clear cmos.....and I hadn't tryed yet to change the
> multiplier....
>
> I would like to change FSB and to reduce the multiplier in order to have a
> more performant system running at 133x5 without stress it too much.....is
it
> possible?
>
> Is there any way to make it work?
>
> Thanks

Anonymous
a b K Overclocking
April 19, 2005 1:44:17 AM

It turns out that the Tyan Trinity S1854 motherboard has a Slot I socket AND
a Socket 370 socket. It does not seem to have any way of changing the
default CPU core voltage set by the CPU. I'd guess that the PCI and AGP bus
frequencies will be correct even with a 133 MHz FrontSide Bus frequency.
There are no settings for any FSB speeds other than 66 MHz, 100 MHz, and 133
MHz. None of the available BIOS versions have any settings other than those
three for the FSB, and there are no settings to override the default CPU
core voltage on the motherboard or in any BIOS version.

There is, however, a jumper on the motherboard that can be used to lower the
memory clock speed by 33 MHz. The freeze when booting problem you get could
be cause by memory that can't keep up with a 133 MHz clock rate, or by
needing to use a higher CPU core voltage, or by both.

You can download the Tyan Trinity S1854 motherboard (in English) from
http://www.tyan.com/support/html/manuals.html .
Tyan tends to have very good manuals, but back in the days of the Tyan
Trinity S1854 Tyan did not support overclocking.

You have two choices for greater performance with that motherboard.
#1. Obtain a 'Slotket', an adapter that allows a Socket 370 CPU to be used
in a Slot I socket. The 'Slotket' will have jumpers between the CPU core
voltage selection pins so that you can use a hire core voltage. This
'should' get your CPU operating with a 133 FSB. The 133 FSB can be selected
with a jumper on the 'Slotket' or on the motherboard.

#2. At this late date, it may be cheaper and easier to purchase a used,
higher speed Pentium III than to find and purchase a 'Slotket'.

For either choice, keep in mind that your memory sticks may not work at a
higher FSB speed. The Tyan Trinity S1854 has a jumper to run memory
asynchronously, at speed 33 MHz lower than the FSB (at some loss in
performance.

Phil Weldon

"Nope" <SeLoMettoMiSpammano@tin.it> wrote in message
> hi,
> I've got a Pentium 3 Coppermine socket 370 600E (100 x 6.0) on a Tyan
> Trinity 400 S1854 chipset Apollo pro 133A. Multipliers can be set up by
> changing jumpers and the FSB can be changed via BIOS.....busses have
> already a correct setting.....
> FSB is the only bottle-neck.....
>
> But it seems to be completely locked!
>
> If I change FSB via BIOS PC even does not boot and the only way to make it
> work again is to clear cmos.....and I hadn't tryed yet to change the
> multiplier....
>
> I would like to change FSB and to reduce the multiplier in order to have a
> more performant system running at 133x5 without stress it too much.....is
> it possible?
>
> Is there any way to make it work?
>
> Thanks

Anonymous
a b K Overclocking
April 19, 2005 1:44:18 AM

Phil Weldon wrote:
> It turns out that the Tyan Trinity S1854 motherboard has a Slot I socket AND
> a Socket 370 socket. It does not seem to have any way of changing the
> default CPU core voltage set by the CPU. I'd guess that the PCI and AGP bus
> frequencies will be correct even with a 133 MHz FrontSide Bus frequency.
> There are no settings for any FSB speeds other than 66 MHz, 100 MHz, and 133
> MHz. None of the available BIOS versions have any settings other than those
> three for the FSB, and there are no settings to override the default CPU
> core voltage on the motherboard or in any BIOS version.
>
> There is, however, a jumper on the motherboard that can be used to lower the
> memory clock speed by 33 MHz. The freeze when booting problem you get could
> be cause by memory that can't keep up with a 133 MHz clock rate, or by
> needing to use a higher CPU core voltage, or by both.
>
> You can download the Tyan Trinity S1854 motherboard (in English) from
> http://www.tyan.com/support/html/manuals.html .
> Tyan tends to have very good manuals, but back in the days of the Tyan
> Trinity S1854 Tyan did not support overclocking.
>
> You have two choices for greater performance with that motherboard.
> #1. Obtain a 'Slotket', an adapter that allows a Socket 370 CPU to be used
> in a Slot I socket. The 'Slotket' will have jumpers between the CPU core
> voltage selection pins so that you can use a hire core voltage. This
> 'should' get your CPU operating with a 133 FSB. The 133 FSB can be selected
> with a jumper on the 'Slotket' or on the motherboard.

I would caution that he'd need to verify that any slotket he looking into
buying did, in fact, have Vcore jumpers because the Super Slotket II,
possibly under other names as well, does not and it's the most commonly
available 'new' slotket left on the market. That one would give him nothing
more than he's already got.

A third option is to wrap CPU pins for Vcore.

> #2. At this late date, it may be cheaper and easier to purchase a used,
> higher speed Pentium III than to find and purchase a 'Slotket'.
>
> For either choice, keep in mind that your memory sticks may not work at a
> higher FSB speed. The Tyan Trinity S1854 has a jumper to run memory
> asynchronously, at speed 33 MHz lower than the FSB (at some loss in
> performance.
>
> Phil Weldon
>
> "Nope" <SeLoMettoMiSpammano@tin.it> wrote in message
>
>>hi,
>>I've got a Pentium 3 Coppermine socket 370 600E (100 x 6.0) on a Tyan
>>Trinity 400 S1854 chipset Apollo pro 133A. Multipliers can be set up by
>>changing jumpers and the FSB can be changed via BIOS.....busses have
>>already a correct setting.....
>>FSB is the only bottle-neck.....
>>
>>But it seems to be completely locked!
>>
>>If I change FSB via BIOS PC even does not boot and the only way to make it
>>work again is to clear cmos.....and I hadn't tryed yet to change the
>>multiplier....
>>
>>I would like to change FSB and to reduce the multiplier in order to have a
>>more performant system running at 133x5 without stress it too much.....is
>>it possible?
>>
>>Is there any way to make it work?
>>
>>Thanks

Anonymous
a b K Overclocking
April 19, 2005 5:09:57 AM

"David Maynard" <nospam@private.net> wrote in part...
"I would caution that he'd need to verify that any slotket he looking into
buying did, in fact, have Vcore jumpers because the Super Slotket II,
possibly under other names as well, does not and it's the most commonly
available 'new' slotket left on the market. That one would give him nothing
more than he's already got."

That's a welcome addition to my information; it's been a long time since I
bought a 'Slotket'.

Phil Weldon
Anonymous
a b K Overclocking
April 19, 2005 5:09:58 AM

Phil Weldon wrote:

> "David Maynard" <nospam@private.net> wrote in part...
> "I would caution that he'd need to verify that any slotket he looking into
> buying did, in fact, have Vcore jumpers because the Super Slotket II,
> possibly under other names as well, does not and it's the most commonly
> available 'new' slotket left on the market. That one would give him nothing
> more than he's already got."
>
> That's a welcome addition to my information; it's been a long time since I
> bought a 'Slotket'.
>
> Phil Weldon

Which reminds me, when I say "commonly available" I meant as of a year or
two ago as I haven't bought one in a while either and I'm not sure even
they are left in the market now.

Well, I did a quick google, found this one, and it's a good example.

http://www.mycableshop.com/sku/PPGA2SLOT1.htm?x=22&y=17

That is a 'super slotket II' and if you look at the blowup it shows a row
of jumpers but those are for FSB, Dual/Single CPU, and Intel/Cyrix but no
Vcore jumpers.

They do tell you with the statement "Voltage Settings: Auto-detected from
motherboard," if the reader understands that properly.
Anonymous
a b K Overclocking
April 19, 2005 8:41:00 AM

I guess the old 'cut and link' on the Slotket Slot I fingers would work, but
then some voltages are easy to change back and forth, some are a pain. I
looked on eBay for and found a 'Buy It Now' Pentium III 800 133 MHz for $20
US; twice the cost of a 'Slotket', and no overclocking potential to speak
of, but it's easy.

Phil Weldon

"David Maynard" <nospam@private.net> wrote in message >
> Which reminds me, when I say "commonly available" I meant as of a year or
> two ago as I haven't bought one in a while either and I'm not sure even
> they are left in the market now.
>
> Well, I did a quick google, found this one, and it's a good example.
>
> http://www.mycableshop.com/sku/PPGA2SLOT1.htm?x=22&y=17
>
> That is a 'super slotket II' and if you look at the blowup it shows a row
> of jumpers but those are for FSB, Dual/Single CPU, and Intel/Cyrix but no
> Vcore jumpers.
>
> They do tell you with the statement "Voltage Settings: Auto-detected from
> motherboard," if the reader understands that properly.

Anonymous
a b K Overclocking
April 19, 2005 8:41:01 AM

Phil Weldon wrote:
> I guess the old 'cut and link' on the Slotket Slot I fingers would work, but
> then some voltages are easy to change back and forth, some are a pain. I
> looked on eBay for and found a 'Buy It Now' Pentium III 800 133 MHz for $20
> US; twice the cost of a 'Slotket', and no overclocking potential to speak
> of, but it's easy.

Yeah. With mid range P-III prices so low using the old one would be mostly
for the challenge.

> Phil Weldon
>
> "David Maynard" <nospam@private.net> wrote in message >
>
>>Which reminds me, when I say "commonly available" I meant as of a year or
>>two ago as I haven't bought one in a while either and I'm not sure even
>>they are left in the market now.
>>
>>Well, I did a quick google, found this one, and it's a good example.
>>
>>http://www.mycableshop.com/sku/PPGA2SLOT1.htm?x=22&y=17
>>
>>That is a 'super slotket II' and if you look at the blowup it shows a row
>>of jumpers but those are for FSB, Dual/Single CPU, and Intel/Cyrix but no
>>Vcore jumpers.
>>
>>They do tell you with the statement "Voltage Settings: Auto-detected from
>>motherboard," if the reader understands that properly.

Anonymous
a b K Overclocking
April 19, 2005 12:56:21 PM

"Phil Weldon" <notdiscosed@example.com> kirjoitti viestissä

> "David Maynard" <nospam@private.net> wrote in part...
> "I would caution that he'd need to verify that any slotket he looking into
> buying did, in fact, have Vcore jumpers because the Super Slotket II,
> possibly under other names as well, does not and it's the most commonly
> available 'new' slotket left on the market. That one would give him
nothing
> more than he's already got."
>
> That's a welcome addition to my information; it's been a long time since I
> bought a 'Slotket'.

Can't stay away from this :-)

An addition to those fine gentlemen's advise: be sure to get a
FC-PGA-to-slot1 type of slotket. There are also PPGA-to-slot1 slotkets
floating around and they won't do any good to you and the P3E. They exist to
make PPGA Celerons to work on a slot1 motherboard and their electronics are
not enough to make a FC-PGA P3 to run. I have owned both types of slotkets
and both had the FSB and voltage jumpers.

There is no point in getting a PPGA Celeron and trying to make it run, the
fastest is 533MHz @FSB66 and the faster ones (>400MHz) are not so good at
overclocking.

But if you really are at it and happen to have a PPGA slotket, you might
start hunting a FC-PGA Celeron with stepping earlier than or equal to cB0,
at least the ones of 633MHz (and slower) @FSB66 are PPGA compatible and you
can run them in most cases (actually, I only fiddled with Abit mobos and BX
& ZX chipsets, dunno about others) @FSB100, which woulg give a nice
overclock of 50% (compared to the P3E overclock of 33%). I used to have one
running @FSB100. However, despite the whopping 950MHz it was slower than a
650MHz P3E @stock speed, the cache (or the lack of it actually) kicked in so
badly.

But still the best overclocking combo I ever had was a (Coppermine) 450MHz
P3E, Abit BF6, Voodoo 3 3000, Abit slotket, Thermaltake Golden Orb and some
random memory chips. The P3E took 155MHz FSB easily, with just the orb and
air. It wasn't even hot. Wish I had better RAM...

--
gt
!