Advice

Last response: in Overclocking
a b K Overclocking
April 24, 2005 12:33:41 AM

I know you must get these all the time but I was wondering if you could
help?

I would like to upgrade a little, what amd processor gives the best bang for
the buck now? I also need ram and a motherboard, I know this is an
overclocking group but mainly just need it for casual gaming.

I could also do with a new graphics card because my current 4200 Ti is
looking a little more than tired at the moment!

More about : advice

Anonymous
a b K Overclocking
April 24, 2005 12:33:42 AM

What do you have now? And what games do you want to play? Depending, the
most bang for the buck might be to up grade only one or two components.

Phil Weldon

"REMUS" <suk@itspambot.com> wrote in message
news:D 4e7ug$hme$1@newsg2.svr.pol.co.uk...
>I know you must get these all the time but I was wondering if you could
>help?
>
> I would like to upgrade a little, what amd processor gives the best bang
> for the buck now? I also need ram and a motherboard, I know this is an
> overclocking group but mainly just need it for casual gaming.
>
> I could also do with a new graphics card because my current 4200 Ti is
> looking a little more than tired at the moment!

Anonymous
a b K Overclocking
April 24, 2005 5:07:31 AM

>>I know you must get these all the time but I was wondering if you could
>>help?
>>
>> I would like to upgrade a little, what amd processor gives the best bang
>> for the buck now? I also need ram and a motherboard, I know this is an
>> overclocking group but mainly just need it for casual gaming.
>>
>> I could also do with a new graphics card because my current 4200 Ti is
>> looking a little more than tired at the moment!
>>

> What do you have now? And what games do you want to play? Depending, the
> most bang for the buck might be to up grade only one or two components.
>
> Phil Weldon

Well i play neocron 2 which is a very ram heavy, it got bad reviews but it
seems they didnt play the game long enough (PC Zone), I also play unreal
2004, unreal 2 all online.
a b K Overclocking
April 24, 2005 5:14:38 AM

What is in your system now, and how is the performance on these games? The
more information you give, the more helpful the answers you will get.
Some helpful information would be
present CPU (type, speed, socket)
present motherboard
present memory (type, speed, and size)
present graphics card, including memory size.

When it comes to games and hardware, there is 'most bang for the buck' AND
'minimum acceptable performance.' One may not include the other.

news:D 4envu$is0$1@news7.svr.pol.co.uk...
>>>I know you must get these all the time but I was wondering if you could
>>>help?
>>>
>>> I would like to upgrade a little, what amd processor gives the best bang
>>> for the buck now? I also need ram and a motherboard, I know this is an
>>> overclocking group but mainly just need it for casual gaming.
>>>
>>> I could also do with a new graphics card because my current 4200 Ti is
>>> looking a little more than tired at the moment!
>>>

>> What do you have now? And what games do you want to play? Depending,
>> the most bang for the buck might be to up grade only one or two
>> components.
>>
>> Phil Weldon
>>

> Well i play neocron 2 which is a very ram heavy, it got bad reviews but it
> seems they didnt play the game long enough (PC Zone), I also play unreal
> 2004, unreal 2 all online.

Anonymous
a b K Overclocking
April 24, 2005 3:54:53 PM

>A good midrange system would be something like:
> AMD A64 3000+
> Nforce 3(nforce4 if you can afford it) motherboard
> 512-1GB PC3200 DDR
> Nvidia 6600GT or 6800(non GT) video card.
> Probably need a new power supply. 450W Antec or other non-generic.

I would prefer an AMD 64 system, could you reccomend me some mobo, gfx card
and ram manufacturers/models? Which socket type should I go for because I
know there are at least 2 different platforms for the 64 cpu.

Should I get my stuff off ebay or go for new?
Anonymous
a b K Overclocking
April 24, 2005 3:54:54 PM

"REMUS" <suk@itspambot.com> wrote in message
news:D 4fttm$jhi$1@news8.svr.pol.co.uk...
> >A good midrange system would be something like:
>> AMD A64 3000+
>> Nforce 3(nforce4 if you can afford it) motherboard
>> 512-1GB PC3200 DDR
>> Nvidia 6600GT or 6800(non GT) video card.
>> Probably need a new power supply. 450W Antec or other non-generic.
>

> I would prefer an AMD 64 system, could you reccomend me some mobo, gfx
> card and ram manufacturers/models? Which socket type should I go for
> because I know there are at least 2 different platforms for the 64 cpu.
>
> Should I get my stuff off ebay or go for new?

I don't recommend ebay for the type of equipment you are getting. Sometimes
the prices are not much different at all from many reputable online vendors.
As for motherboards, I have had good luck with Asus boards. www.asustek.com
has all their offerings. MSI has been my favorite for Nvidia video cards.
Asus makes cards of good quality also. Check the AMD64 you want and match
the MB to what you are getting. Remus is correct about the Nvidia chipset
models. The 6800s are very popular. I also agree with the PSU he suggested.
450+W is a good recommendation and won't break the bank with Antec and still
get quality. I would always go new with anything in my system.

Ed
April 24, 2005 3:54:55 PM

I would personally look at the socket 939..it is the current generation and
the opportunity for further upgrade will be better than the 754. I would
look to the Asus A8N series or the MSI K8N..since you are going with new
board and video go with the PCI-E versions (NV6600GT). I would also buy
something along the line of Corsair ram (2x512) instead of generic.Unless
you can find someone that has Samsung ram in with their generic stuff.
Personally I would find a local computer shop and have them price it all
out, that way if something goes wrong you have a name and a face you can
deal with.
Anonymous
a b K Overclocking
April 25, 2005 2:23:51 AM

Check pricewatch.com for prices on everything. Although,you'll find newegg
pretty close to the low prices you'll find.Don't buy off ebay.Prices for
this stuff there aren't that great.
If you can afford the 939 motherboard look at DFI lan party boards or Asus.
DFI's are good overclockers since they have the highest ram voltages. If you
go Socket 754 the Chaintech VNF3 or ZNF3's are good boards. Beware of XFX
video cards. Leadtech or BFG are good quality.

"dino" <whyme@help.com> wrote in message
> I would personally look at the socket 939..it is the current generation
and
> the opportunity for further upgrade will be better than the 754. I would
> look to the Asus A8N series or the MSI K8N..since you are going with new
> board and video go with the PCI-E versions (NV6600GT). I would also buy
> something along the line of Corsair ram (2x512) instead of generic.Unless
> you can find someone that has Samsung ram in with their generic stuff.
> Personally I would find a local computer shop and have them price it all
> out, that way if something goes wrong you have a name and a face you can
> deal with.

Anonymous
a b K Overclocking
April 25, 2005 3:18:28 AM

As others have said, buy from a vendor that has an established reputation
and clearly stated return and warranty proceedures. Try to order everything
at once, from the same place if possible. That will make for a little less
finger-ponting if something isn't right. Also you will be able to put the
system together and test it before the return period is over for the various
components. eBay is fine for used components that are otherwise not
available for a reasonable price (for example, replacement keyboards for
notebooks and proprietary motherboards), but for readily obtainable
components, look elsewhere.

One more suggestion. There is a hugh performance difference between the
first tier of display adapters and everything else. For example, ANY nVidia
6800 and the rest of nVida offerings; even the nVidia 6600. The same holds
true for the ATI product line. Of course, you will pay a high price. And
now, suddenly you are looking a real money, and possibly at trade-offs to
make it all possible. Which starts the whole cycle over again B^)

Phil Weldon

"REMUS" <suk@itspambot.com> wrote in message
news:D 4fttm$jhi$1@news8.svr.pol.co.uk...
> >A good midrange system would be something like:
>> AMD A64 3000+
>> Nforce 3(nforce4 if you can afford it) motherboard
>> 512-1GB PC3200 DDR
>> Nvidia 6600GT or 6800(non GT) video card.
>> Probably need a new power supply. 450W Antec or other non-generic.
>

> I would prefer an AMD 64 system, could you reccomend me some mobo, gfx
> card and ram manufacturers/models? Which socket type should I go for
> because I know there are at least 2 different platforms for the 64 cpu.
>
> Should I get my stuff off ebay or go for new?

Anonymous
a b K Overclocking
April 26, 2005 1:27:51 AM

..