Do I have a bad video card?

Hi all,

I'm running an Intel PIV 2.4 GHz at 2.7GHz on a Gigabyte 8SQ800 Ultra.
It's been rock solid for well over a year now. Over the weekend I
upgraded my MSI FX5200 to a Gigabyte 6600GT (GV-NX66T128D). Initially I
had no luck whatsoever getting it to run stable in 3D, and 2D had
problems.

I updated the BIOS on both graphics card and motherboard, updated to
the latest NVIDIA forceware drivers with no luck. Things improved when
I went back to a CPU clock of 2.4GHz. On a whim I tried underclocking
the AGP bus to 63MHz instead of the usual 66MHz. This worked a treat. I
could bring my CPU speed back up to 2.68GHz with no problems in a
couple of hours of playing, so long as my AGP bus is underclocked to
63. (I tried 64 and that isn't quite stable, where 63 is spot on).

So here's my question. Is the Gigabyte card a dud, and should I take it
back? Or is this just a question of incompatibility with old and new
components.

One thing I have thought of doing is putting the card on my older
system (a 1.8 GHz AMD 1700+), but I think that system is a little more
particular (read less stable if things aren't just right) and I'm not
sure what that would prove. Don't really want to spend the time to be
honest.

By the way, with the stable config above my 3DMark05 is around 3200.
I've seen some lower figures (2800) but I'm not sure if that was when I
was fiddling with other settings or not.

--
Sammy

It's a generic 400 Watt power supply. I don't know the specifics to be
honest. It is sharing power with hard disks. (I'm using power splitters
all over the place).

Forgive my ignorance. I know the basics, have installed my own hard
disks, PCI cards, graphics cards etc. but I certainly don't put
together PCs every day, and am not a hard core overclocker. I got this
video card so I could run a couple of games my partner bought (She
loves The Invincibles and Shrek) and so that I could use it with my
remote control flight sims - in particular Realflight G3. I didn't want
to fork out for a whole new system at this stage.

Yes, I'm already using the 67.03. This did improve stability, but I was
still experiencing games freezing. Underclocking the AGP seems to fix
it, but I haven't had the board for long enough to say for sure.

Yes, I'm already using the 67.03. This did improve stability, but I was
still experiencing games freezing. Underclocking the AGP seems to fix
it, but I haven't had the board for long enough to say for sure.

BigJim

It is the SIS chipset on the board. I was running a asus p4s533 and I was
having
all kinds of problems of stability. I upgraded the board to a asus p4p800se
and
everything is fine. You can try the 67.03 drivers, link below. It is a know
problems
with the SIS chipset.

http://www.nzone.com/object/nzone_downloads_winxp_2k_67.03.html

<syousef@bigpond.net.au> wrote in message
> Hi all,
>
> I'm running an Intel PIV 2.4 GHz at 2.7GHz on a Gigabyte 8SQ800 Ultra.
> It's been rock solid for well over a year now. Over the weekend I
> upgraded my MSI FX5200 to a Gigabyte 6600GT (GV-NX66T128D). Initially I
> had no luck whatsoever getting it to run stable in 3D, and 2D had
> problems.
>
> I updated the BIOS on both graphics card and motherboard, updated to
> the latest NVIDIA forceware drivers with no luck. Things improved when
> I went back to a CPU clock of 2.4GHz. On a whim I tried underclocking
> the AGP bus to 63MHz instead of the usual 66MHz. This worked a treat. I
> could bring my CPU speed back up to 2.68GHz with no problems in a
> couple of hours of playing, so long as my AGP bus is underclocked to
> 63. (I tried 64 and that isn't quite stable, where 63 is spot on).
>
> So here's my question. Is the Gigabyte card a dud, and should I take it
> back? Or is this just a question of incompatibility with old and new
> components.
>
> One thing I have thought of doing is putting the card on my older
> system (a 1.8 GHz AMD 1700+), but I think that system is a little more
> particular (read less stable if things aren't just right) and I'm not
> sure what that would prove. Don't really want to spend the time to be
> honest.
>
> By the way, with the stable config above my 3DMark05 is around 3200.
> I've seen some lower figures (2800) but I'm not sure if that was when I
> was fiddling with other settings or not.
>
> --
> Sammy

BigJim

Artifacts are appearing in DX games with the GeForce 6600 GT AGP. WHat
can I do about this?

Answer
The issues that some users have reported seeing when using the
GeForce 6600 GT AGP are due to a driver bug which causes 3D corruption when
this GPU is used with certain motherboards, most notably SIS motherboards.

We have verified a fix for this bug and have posted a new driver,
67.03, which can be downloaded from nZone.

<syousef@bigpond.net.au> wrote in message
> Hi all,
>
> I'm running an Intel PIV 2.4 GHz at 2.7GHz on a Gigabyte 8SQ800 Ultra.
> It's been rock solid for well over a year now. Over the weekend I
> upgraded my MSI FX5200 to a Gigabyte 6600GT (GV-NX66T128D). Initially I
> had no luck whatsoever getting it to run stable in 3D, and 2D had
> problems.
>
> I updated the BIOS on both graphics card and motherboard, updated to
> the latest NVIDIA forceware drivers with no luck. Things improved when
> I went back to a CPU clock of 2.4GHz. On a whim I tried underclocking
> the AGP bus to 63MHz instead of the usual 66MHz. This worked a treat. I
> could bring my CPU speed back up to 2.68GHz with no problems in a
> couple of hours of playing, so long as my AGP bus is underclocked to
> 63. (I tried 64 and that isn't quite stable, where 63 is spot on).
>
> So here's my question. Is the Gigabyte card a dud, and should I take it
> back? Or is this just a question of incompatibility with old and new
> components.
>
> One thing I have thought of doing is putting the card on my older
> system (a 1.8 GHz AMD 1700+), but I think that system is a little more
> particular (read less stable if things aren't just right) and I'm not
> sure what that would prove. Don't really want to spend the time to be
> honest.
>
> By the way, with the stable config above my 3DMark05 is around 3200.
> I've seen some lower figures (2800) but I'm not sure if that was when I
> was fiddling with other settings or not.
>
> --
> Sammy

begin 666 trnsp.gif
J1TE&.#EA`0`!`( ``````/___R'Y! $```$`+ `````!``$```(!3 `[
`
end

What's the power supply on that system? And, do you have the video card
plugged in to it's power line(not sharing with any drives).

<syousef@bigpond.net.au> wrote in message
> Hi all,
>
> I'm running an Intel PIV 2.4 GHz at 2.7GHz on a Gigabyte 8SQ800 Ultra.
> It's been rock solid for well over a year now. Over the weekend I
> upgraded my MSI FX5200 to a Gigabyte 6600GT (GV-NX66T128D). Initially I
> had no luck whatsoever getting it to run stable in 3D, and 2D had
> problems.
>
> I updated the BIOS on both graphics card and motherboard, updated to
> the latest NVIDIA forceware drivers with no luck. Things improved when
> I went back to a CPU clock of 2.4GHz. On a whim I tried underclocking
> the AGP bus to 63MHz instead of the usual 66MHz. This worked a treat. I
> could bring my CPU speed back up to 2.68GHz with no problems in a
> couple of hours of playing, so long as my AGP bus is underclocked to
> 63. (I tried 64 and that isn't quite stable, where 63 is spot on).
>
> So here's my question. Is the Gigabyte card a dud, and should I take it
> back? Or is this just a question of incompatibility with old and new
> components.
>
> One thing I have thought of doing is putting the card on my older
> system (a 1.8 GHz AMD 1700+), but I think that system is a little more
> particular (read less stable if things aren't just right) and I'm not
> sure what that would prove. Don't really want to spend the time to be
> honest.
>
> By the way, with the stable config above my 3DMark05 is around 3200.
> I've seen some lower figures (2800) but I'm not sure if that was when I
> was fiddling with other settings or not.
>
> --
> Sammy

BigJim

Well like I wrote it is probably the SIS chipset, in my case I was going to
update my
motherboard any way. I overclocked my new board by 5 percent with no
problems.
I was getting that artifact problem in HL2 and when I change boards all the
problems
went away. For what's it worth, I am now running the latest Nvidia drivers.
BTW you shouldn't have to underclock anything. Good Luck.

> Yes, I'm already using the 67.03. This did improve stability, but I was
> still experiencing games freezing. Underclocking the AGP seems to fix
> it, but I haven't had the board for long enough to say for sure.

Try to get the video card on it's own power line just to eliminate this
possibility.