Sign in with
Your question
Closed

How do I do e-mail on windows 7

Last response: in Windows 7
February 21, 2011 6:53:18 PM

Hello,
I just got a new laptop with Windows 7 and transferred all my files from ny XP computer. I used to use outlook express fro my e=mail and can't seem to find it here.

More about : mail windows

Best solution

a b $ Windows 7
February 21, 2011 7:07:21 PM

Try the help button.

Personally I use Thunderbird to handle my e-mail and mozbackup to handle my migrations
a b $ Windows 7
February 22, 2011 3:59:44 AM

Outlook Express has been gone since Vista (Windows Mail). MS's free email client is now Windows Live Mail... the 2011 version being the latest. It's fairly easy to import OE's files into WLM.
Score
Related resources
a b $ Windows 7
February 22, 2011 5:40:10 AM

^ Agreed. What Zoron did not mention is that Windows Live Mail must be downloaded. It is not part of Windows 7 out of the box.
Score
a b $ Windows 7
February 22, 2011 4:26:00 PM

You can use Yahoo, Google, windows Live, or your ISP's email, whatever you want, pick one.
Score
February 23, 2011 6:00:27 PM

That right, windows live mail is the windows 7 version of outlook express, you can download it form Microsoft's website (at least its free). and then you can set up your email account from their.
NOTE: when you download windows live mail you will be asked to download some other Microsoft app witch are not necessary so just untick them and only install live mail.
Hope this helps.
Score
February 23, 2011 6:30:32 PM

Download and install Firefox, Opera and/or Chrome

then go to www.gmail.com

follow directions

MRFS
Score
March 2, 2011 9:42:16 AM

Best answer selected by dsnoop.
Score
March 4, 2011 8:15:09 PM

dsnoop said:
Hello,
I just got a new laptop with Windows 7 and transferred all my files from ny XP computer. I used to use outlook express fro my e=mail and can't seem to find it here.

Hi, I tried several email programs that might possibly replace Outlook (which I would have had to pay for), and found Synovel Spicebird works well with my new Dell Win 7 64-bit laptop.

Ricochet_16
Score
a b $ Windows 7
March 5, 2011 1:42:07 PM

Any online mail service will be the same way... even if you use a mail client to access it instead of a web browser. My ISP switched to Windows Live for their mail hosting so now my messages get downloaded anywhere.
Score
March 7, 2011 9:58:49 PM

Quote:
yea, there's nothing special about gmail

I guess I was concerned about saving space and not paying for Office 2010 after the trial period. I uninstalled or removed Windows Live that I had previously downloaded onto my new computer. Now that I found I could use my old Office 2003, I now use that old version of Outlook, and was able to uninstall the Synovel Spicebird email program. There were a lot of Microsoft programs and Dell drivers that I found were taking up space, and I removed some of them, also that were more for programmers and developers. I finally found the right Java environment to download, to replace the developers kit that was also taking up a lot of unnecessary space.

I have five antivirus programs, but after trying several others, I found that Microsoft Security Essentials, Avira Antivirus Personal, Kingsoft Antivirus, Iobit Security 360, and Threatfire can be made compatible on a new computer. I set Kingsoft in the "Compatible Mode" and trained Threatfire to ignore the heuristic actions of some of the others. Kingsoft was a good addition, because it is a "cloud-based" program and doesn't occupy very much space in itself. I completed that with the addition of Privatefirewall 7.0, which also doesn't occupy as much space as some other firewalls, and I turned Windows Firewall off.

Ricochet_16
Score
a b $ Windows 7
March 9, 2011 4:11:29 AM

This topic has been closed by Buwish
Score
!