Some info for a new oc'er

Hi All,

Decided to squeeze a bit of juice from my P4 2.4B 533 running 2 * 512
Kingston PC 2700 ram and have currently got it running at 2.7. It has been
stable running the torture test in Prime95 for 12+ hrs straight so I assume
this is stable. I have a few questions that you may be able to help me with.
I have the FSB at 152 and the vcore at 1.6v to get it stable and it runs at
63 Celsius (stock cooling) during the torture test. I've had it running
torture tests and primes for the past 5 days with few breaks. What would you
say is too hot for this CPU? I use hmonitor to look at the temp etc and it
reckons that the vcore jumps up to 1.7 even though I set it to 1.6. Is this
normal or ok even? I've read 1.7 is about max I should go. Does this mean
what I should not go above in the bios or what the hardware monitoring is
telling me?

I have locked the AGP/PCI timing to 66/33 and run the RAM at 3/3/3/8 and
2.7v. Are there any settings for these parameters (or others!) anyone could
recommend trying.

Thanks in advance.

Steph.

"Stephan Carydakis" <steph777@netspace.net.au> wrote in message
> Hi All,
>
> Decided to squeeze a bit of juice from my P4 2.4B 533 running 2 * 512
> Kingston PC 2700 ram and have currently got it running at 2.7. It has been
> stable running the torture test in Prime95 for 12+ hrs straight so I
> assume
> this is stable. I have a few questions that you may be able to help me
> with.
> I have the FSB at 152 and the vcore at 1.6v to get it stable and it runs
> at
> 63 Celsius (stock cooling) during the torture test. I've had it running
> torture tests and primes for the past 5 days with few breaks. What would
> you
> say is too hot for this CPU? I use hmonitor to look at the temp etc and it
> reckons that the vcore jumps up to 1.7 even though I set it to 1.6. Is
> this
> normal or ok even? I've read 1.7 is about max I should go. Does this mean
> what I should not go above in the bios or what the hardware monitoring is
> telling me?
>
> I have locked the AGP/PCI timing to 66/33 and run the RAM at 3/3/3/8 and
> 2.7v. Are there any settings for these parameters (or others!) anyone
> could
> recommend trying.
>
> Thanks in advance.
>
> Steph.

Sounds ok to me as long as it is stable. I have pretty high standards when
it comes to a stable overclock. You might try going up a bit on your PCI bus
as long as everything is running smoothly. I usually run it at a max of 37.
Ram timings are another thing you can experiment with. You could try to get
2.5 out of some of those 3s, but don't comprimise stability for it. I have a
2.53b on this system running at 3g and my max temps (room at 72f, case temps
at 28c) run pretty close to yours with stock cooling. I have been using a TT
Sub-Zero thermally controlled TEC cooler for a couple of years and it keeps
temps at a max of 50c and cools rather quickly after torture tests. I
wouldn't worry about your temps as long as you have no problems. As far as
your voltage goes, have you tried default 1.5v? Some of the 2.4b's would
pretty much max out their oc abilities at stock voltages without even
needing an increase in vcore. Mine is at 1.5v and even an increase up to
1.7v only gives me another .03g or so.......not even worth it.

Ed

I have tried the vcore at lower than 1.6 and it becomes unstable at 2.7
fairly quickly. The torture test fails after 30 minutes or so. At FSB 150 I
can take to voltage down to 1.575 and its stable again. I haven't tried
leaving the voltage at 1.5 and seeing what FSB I can get while being
stable. Thanks for the tips.