overclockin amd sempron 2400+ on an MSI motherboard

sinner

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

all i know is dat my system configuration is :

MSI Motherboard MS-7061 (phoenix BIOS)
256 MB DDR RAM
AMD Sempron 2400+ (1.67 GHz)
Geforce4 MX 4000 128 DDR RAM

dat's all i could get to know by myself. i wanted to overclock my cpu
in order to make it work a bit faster and also give dat extra edge in
gaming. could anyone tell me dat best possible way to overclock it ?

:?:

what speed is your ram?

sinner wrote:
> all i know is dat my system configuration is :
>
> MSI Motherboard MS-7061 (phoenix BIOS)
> 256 MB DDR RAM
> AMD Sempron 2400+ (1.67 GHz)
> Geforce4 MX 4000 128 DDR RAM
>
> dat's all i could get to know by myself. i wanted to overclock my cpu
> in order to make it work a bit faster and also give dat extra edge in
> gaming. could anyone tell me dat best possible way to overclock it ?

Well, you got some answers but noone got to this: probably the factor
most limiting to the gaming performance in your setup described is your
video card. Don't know much about nVidia, but IIRC the GF4 MX serie is a
direct descendant of the good old GF2 serie with only DX7 compatibility.
Basically, you could go and get any modern video card and the games
boost would be visible.

If you end up with an ATi card, stay away from the SE models unless you
definately know what you are doing. Their performance is strangled by
their narrower memory bandwidth, except for some certain models.

If the Sempron speed label means it compares to Celeron 2400 then I
guess a well balanced card could be an ATi 9600XT. Not the latest
technology and definately not the best speed but abything much better
would probably be an overkill. The price is not too high, either. If you
are going to upgrade the CPU and/or memory (you could use some more
memory, by the way, 256 is hardly enough to run even WinXP alone, maybe
if you run an older OS it is enough but not for serious gaming anyway)
the situation will of course be different.

If you are really tight on budget, go and get a second-hand ATi 8500,
the LE model will also do. Replaced with even that old a card you will
notice something has happened. Someone might also offer you a "real" GF4
card (Ti4200/4400/4whatever), it will give you something, too.

In short: get rid of that GF4MX and find something better. Ask your
local nerd kid to go shopping with you if you feel your competence is
limited, it is not a shameful thing to do.

--
gt