Can I OC a cheep-cheep GigaByte 845-GVM-RZ with a Prescott?

The mobo has video and all else on board. I added nothing. The CPU is
a retail boxed 2.26/533 with fan included. Printed on the label "D
Processor 315, 478 Pin 2.26 GHz, 256KB cache, 533 MHz, UP only

1.40v max Packdate 11/24/04

TIA (thanks in advance) =:0)

Do you have the manual, or have you tried to download the manual from the
GigaByte website?

Three points;
your CPU is a Celeron D CPU based on the same process as the Prescott
Pentium 4 CPUs, and consequently uses a lot of power and will run hot - this
may make overclocking more difficult (the CPU has a spec number in a form
like SL7XY printed on it that you can use to look up information on the CPU
at the Intel website)
Gigabyte makes overclocking friendly motherboards, so you should find
information in the manual on how to raise the FrontSide Bus speed and, if
necessary, the CPU core voltage
You need to make sure the memory you use can handle the faster
FrontSide Bus speed, or run it in an asynch mode (which will reduce
permormance)

Also, it is a good idea to include any questions and information that is in
the subject line AS WELL AS in the body of the post.

Phil Weldon

"Full Name (optional)" <jkhfkdhf@eourfue.com> wrote in message
> The mobo has video and all else on board. I added nothing. The CPU is
> a retail boxed 2.26/533 with fan included. Printed on the label "D
> Processor 315, 478 Pin 2.26 GHz, 256KB cache, 533 MHz, UP only
>
> 1.40v max Packdate 11/24/04
>
> TIA (thanks in advance) =:0)

I have the manual. I have an Abit BP6 that I use with two Celeron
800s. They have some "overclock-lock" that the board's clock settings
won't overcome.

Do you have some suggestions on what would be a good stable speed? I
don't want to use "trial and error" until I'm exhausted.

On Fri, 13 May 2005 19:30:42 GMT, "Phil Weldon"
<notdiscosed@example.com> wrote:

>Do you have the manual, or have you tried to download the manual from the
>GigaByte website?
>
>Three points;
> your CPU is a Celeron D CPU based on the same process as the Prescott
>Pentium 4 CPUs, and consequently uses a lot of power and will run hot - this
>may make overclocking more difficult (the CPU has a spec number in a form
>like SL7XY printed on it that you can use to look up information on the CPU
>at the Intel website)
> Gigabyte makes overclocking friendly motherboards, so you should find
>information in the manual on how to raise the FrontSide Bus speed and, if
>necessary, the CPU core voltage
> You need to make sure the memory you use can handle the faster
>FrontSide Bus speed, or run it in an asynch mode (which will reduce
>permormance)
>
>Also, it is a good idea to include any questions and information that is in
>the subject line AS WELL AS in the body of the post.
>
>Phil Weldon
>

>"Full Name (optional)" <jkhfkdhf@eourfue.com> wrote in message
>> The mobo has video and all else on board. I added nothing. The CPU is
>> a retail boxed 2.26/533 with fan included. Printed on the label "D
>> Processor 315, 478 Pin 2.26 GHz, 256KB cache, 533 MHz, UP only
>>
>> 1.40v max Packdate 11/24/04
>>
>> TIA (thanks in advance) =:0)

"Full Name (optional)" <jkhfkdhf@eourfue.com> wrote in message...
> Do you have some suggestions on what would be a good stable
> speed?

No, it doesn't work like that I'm afraid.

> I don't want to use "trial and error" until I'm exhausted.

Well, you're gonna have to. It's impossible for any of us to give you a
"safe speed" for this combination, so you're gonna have to do the donkey
work yourself. As Phil's already told you, the Celeron D's draw a lot of
power, and we can't tell how your own motherboard, power supply, memory and
so-on will respond.

Ultimately you're in the same situation as any other overclocker, and,
unsurprisingly, the solution's the same. Raise the FSB a little at a time,
testing for stability, and monitoring temperatures as you go.
--

Richard Hopkins
Cardiff, Wales, United Kingdom

What questions are you asking?

ALL Intel CPUs since the Pentium II 300 are multiplier locked. The only way
to overclock an Intel CPU is to raise the FrontSide Bus speed. Your Celeron
800 CPU are no more locked than any other Intel CPUs in the last five or so
years. Perhaps you are changing the clock multipler in the BIOS; this does
nothing at all because THE CLOCK MULTIPLIER IS LOCKED. You can ONLY
overclock by raising the FrontSide Bus speed.

If you want to overclock, you must, like everyone else, use the 'trail and
error method'. If you don't have the patience, then don't overclock.

To overclock, use your manual and follow these general directions for
changing settings.

The steps will likely include
LOCK the AGP/PCI bus speeds to 66.7/33.3
Make sure the memory you have can operate at the FrontSide Bus/clock
speeds you try.

A. raise the clock speed (1/4 the FrontSide Bus speed) by a few
percent
test the system stability
IF the system is unstable
B. try raising the CPU core voltage in the smallest
increment possible (DO NOT RAISE it more than 0.2 volts above
specifications)
test the system for stability
IF (the system is unstable AND the core voltage is
0.2 volts above specification) THEN go to C.
IF (the system is unstable AND the core voltage is
NOT 0.2 volts above specifications) THEN go to B.
IF the system is stable THEN go to A
C. Reduce the clock speed to by small increments until
the system is stable.
THEN try lowering the core voltage by small
increments until the system is unstable,
THEN raise the core voltage to the last stable level
at the current FrontSide Bus Speed.

Keep in mind that the quality and design of the motherboard, the chipset,
the power supply, the memory, cooling solution, AND idiosyncrasies of your
particular CPU affect overclocking outcomes. The knowledge, organization,
and patience of the overclocker are also important factors.

Read twice, cut once.

>I have the manual. I have an Abit BP6 that I use with two Celeron
> 800s. They have some "overclock-lock" that the board's clock settings
> won't overcome.
>
> Do you have some suggestions on what would be a good stable speed? I
> don't want to use "trial and error" until I'm exhausted.

A VERY good methodology and structure for trial and error. Thanks! I
will try this approach. If you are interested, I will post the
results.

On Fri, 13 May 2005 22:40:50 GMT, "Phil Weldon"
<notdiscosed@example.com> wrote:

>What questions are you asking?
>
>ALL Intel CPUs since the Pentium II 300 are multiplier locked. The only way
>to overclock an Intel CPU is to raise the FrontSide Bus speed. Your Celeron
>800 CPU are no more locked than any other Intel CPUs in the last five or so
>years. Perhaps you are changing the clock multipler in the BIOS; this does
>nothing at all because THE CLOCK MULTIPLIER IS LOCKED. You can ONLY
>overclock by raising the FrontSide Bus speed.
>
>If you want to overclock, you must, like everyone else, use the 'trail and
>error method'. If you don't have the patience, then don't overclock.
>
>To overclock, use your manual and follow these general directions for
>changing settings.
>
>The steps will likely include
> LOCK the AGP/PCI bus speeds to 66.7/33.3
> Make sure the memory you have can operate at the FrontSide Bus/clock
>speeds you try.
>
> A. raise the clock speed (1/4 the FrontSide Bus speed) by a few
>percent
> test the system stability
> IF the system is unstable
> B. try raising the CPU core voltage in the smallest
>increment possible (DO NOT RAISE it more than 0.2 volts above
>specifications)
> test the system for stability
> IF (the system is unstable AND the core voltage is
>0.2 volts above specification) THEN go to C.
> IF (the system is unstable AND the core voltage is
>NOT 0.2 volts above specifications) THEN go to B.
> IF the system is stable THEN go to A
> C. Reduce the clock speed to by small increments until
>the system is stable.
> THEN try lowering the core voltage by small
>increments until the system is unstable,
> THEN raise the core voltage to the last stable level
>at the current FrontSide Bus Speed.
>
>Keep in mind that the quality and design of the motherboard, the chipset,
>the power supply, the memory, cooling solution, AND idiosyncrasies of your
>particular CPU affect overclocking outcomes. The knowledge, organization,
>and patience of the overclocker are also important factors.
>
>Read twice, cut once.
>
>Phil Weldon
>

>"Full Name (optional)" <jkhfkdhf@eourfue.com> wrote in message
>>I have the manual. I have an Abit BP6 that I use with two Celeron
>> 800s. They have some "overclock-lock" that the board's clock settings
>> won't overcome.
>>
>> Do you have some suggestions on what would be a good stable speed? I
>> don't want to use "trial and error" until I'm exhausted.

Please post the results. It will help all of us.

>A VERY good methodology and structure for trial and error. Thanks! I
> will try this approach. If you are interested, I will post the
> results.
>
> On Fri, 13 May 2005 22:40:50 GMT, "Phil Weldon"
> <notdiscosed@example.com> wrote:
>
>>What questions are you asking?
>>
>>ALL Intel CPUs since the Pentium II 300 are multiplier locked. The only
>>way
>>to overclock an Intel CPU is to raise the FrontSide Bus speed. Your
>>Celeron
>>800 CPU are no more locked than any other Intel CPUs in the last five or
>>so
>>years. Perhaps you are changing the clock multipler in the BIOS; this
>>does
>>nothing at all because THE CLOCK MULTIPLIER IS LOCKED. You can ONLY
>>overclock by raising the FrontSide Bus speed.
>>
>>If you want to overclock, you must, like everyone else, use the 'trail and
>>error method'. If you don't have the patience, then don't overclock.
>>
>>To overclock, use your manual and follow these general directions for
>>changing settings.
>>
>>The steps will likely include
>> LOCK the AGP/PCI bus speeds to 66.7/33.3
>> Make sure the memory you have can operate at the FrontSide Bus/clock
>>speeds you try.
>>
>> A. raise the clock speed (1/4 the FrontSide Bus speed) by a few
>>percent
>> test the system stability
>> IF the system is unstable
>> B. try raising the CPU core voltage in the smallest
>>increment possible (DO NOT RAISE it more than 0.2 volts above
>>specifications)
>> test the system for stability
>> IF (the system is unstable AND the core voltage is
>>0.2 volts above specification) THEN go to C.
>> IF (the system is unstable AND the core voltage
>> is
>>NOT 0.2 volts above specifications) THEN go to B.
>> IF the system is stable THEN go to A
>> C. Reduce the clock speed to by small increments until
>>the system is stable.
>> THEN try lowering the core voltage by small
>>increments until the system is unstable,
>> THEN raise the core voltage to the last stable
>> level
>>at the current FrontSide Bus Speed.
>>
>>Keep in mind that the quality and design of the motherboard, the chipset,
>>the power supply, the memory, cooling solution, AND idiosyncrasies of your
>>particular CPU affect overclocking outcomes. The knowledge, organization,
>>and patience of the overclocker are also important factors.
>>
>>Read twice, cut once.
>>
>>Phil Weldon
>>

>>"Full Name (optional)" <jkhfkdhf@eourfue.com> wrote in message
>>>I have the manual. I have an Abit BP6 that I use with two Celeron
>>> 800s. They have some "overclock-lock" that the board's clock settings
>>> won't overcome.
>>>
>>> Do you have some suggestions on what would be a good stable speed? I
>>> don't want to use "trial and error" until I'm exhausted.

Thank you for the reply. Phil also gave some good advice.

On Fri, 13 May 2005 23:38:09 +0100, "Richard Hopkins"
<richh@dsl.nospam.com> wrote:

>"Full Name (optional)" <jkhfkdhf@eourfue.com> wrote in message...
>> Do you have some suggestions on what would be a good stable
>> speed?
>
>No, it doesn't work like that I'm afraid.
>
>> I don't want to use "trial and error" until I'm exhausted.
>
>Well, you're gonna have to. It's impossible for any of us to give you a
>"safe speed" for this combination, so you're gonna have to do the donkey
>work yourself. As Phil's already told you, the Celeron D's draw a lot of
>power, and we can't tell how your own motherboard, power supply, memory and
>so-on will respond.
>
>Ultimately you're in the same situation as any other overclocker, and,
>unsurprisingly, the solution's the same. Raise the FSB a little at a time,
>testing for stability, and monitoring temperatures as you go.

I will be glad to post results. So that a maximum number of people can
compare the results, I searched the last year's posts to see what
benchmarking application is most common. Future Mark Corporation's
"3DMark®05" is the winner. However, I'm in Kyiv Ukraine, and pay for
data traffic by the meg. 3DMark®05 is almost 300 MB in size, and will
cost me about $35 to download.

The only current benchmark program I have available is what is
included in Norton SystemWorks Premier 2005. Will this suffice? If
not, is there a much smaller benchmarking application available for
download?

On Sun, 15 May 2005 21:29:27 GMT, "Phil Weldon"
<notdiscosed@example.com> wrote:

>Please post the results. It will help all of us.
>

>"Full Name (optional)" <jkhfkdhf@eourfue.com> wrote in message
>>A VERY good methodology and structure for trial and error. Thanks! I
>> will try this approach. If you are interested, I will post the
>> results.
>>
>> On Fri, 13 May 2005 22:40:50 GMT, "Phil Weldon"
>> <notdiscosed@example.com> wrote:
>>
>>>What questions are you asking?
>>>
>>>ALL Intel CPUs since the Pentium II 300 are multiplier locked. The only
>>>way
>>>to overclock an Intel CPU is to raise the FrontSide Bus speed. Your
>>>Celeron
>>>800 CPU are no more locked than any other Intel CPUs in the last five or
>>>so
>>>years. Perhaps you are changing the clock multipler in the BIOS; this
>>>does
>>>nothing at all because THE CLOCK MULTIPLIER IS LOCKED. You can ONLY
>>>overclock by raising the FrontSide Bus speed.
>>>
>>>If you want to overclock, you must, like everyone else, use the 'trail and
>>>error method'. If you don't have the patience, then don't overclock.
>>>
>>>To overclock, use your manual and follow these general directions for
>>>changing settings.
>>>
>>>The steps will likely include
>>> LOCK the AGP/PCI bus speeds to 66.7/33.3
>>> Make sure the memory you have can operate at the FrontSide Bus/clock
>>>speeds you try.
>>>
>>> A. raise the clock speed (1/4 the FrontSide Bus speed) by a few
>>>percent
>>> test the system stability
>>> IF the system is unstable
>>> B. try raising the CPU core voltage in the smallest
>>>increment possible (DO NOT RAISE it more than 0.2 volts above
>>>specifications)
>>> test the system for stability
>>> IF (the system is unstable AND the core voltage is
>>>0.2 volts above specification) THEN go to C.
>>> IF (the system is unstable AND the core voltage
>>> is
>>>NOT 0.2 volts above specifications) THEN go to B.
>>> IF the system is stable THEN go to A
>>> C. Reduce the clock speed to by small increments until
>>>the system is stable.
>>> THEN try lowering the core voltage by small
>>>increments until the system is unstable,
>>> THEN raise the core voltage to the last stable
>>> level
>>>at the current FrontSide Bus Speed.
>>>
>>>Keep in mind that the quality and design of the motherboard, the chipset,
>>>the power supply, the memory, cooling solution, AND idiosyncrasies of your
>>>particular CPU affect overclocking outcomes. The knowledge, organization,
>>>and patience of the overclocker are also important factors.
>>>
>>>Read twice, cut once.
>>>
>>>Phil Weldon
>>>

>>>"Full Name (optional)" <jkhfkdhf@eourfue.com> wrote in message

Speed, core voltage, and temperatures will be more useful than benchmark
results. The main question is what you did to get your overclock, not what
the performance results are. Anyway, the 3DMark2005 is a graphics
performance benchmark. A low level benchmark is more useful for CPU
overclocks since it will isolate CPU and memory system performance. The
most useful benchmark is one to which most users have access. The SiSoft
Sandra 2004 system information utility has been widely used for low level
benchmarks and the 'lite' version is free. The newest version is SiSoft
Sandra 2005, but, as I remember, one of the most used benchmarks is not
included in the 2005 free version. The 2004 free version is ~ 6 MB, and the
2005 free version is ~ 8 Mbytes. You can find SiSoft Sandra 2005 Lite as a
free download at http://www.sisoftware.net/ . I believe that the free
version of SiSoft Sandra 2004 may be more suitable, but at least some
download sites have pulled that version. Both versions have an extensive
list of CPU, chipset, and memory type performance numbers for comparision,
and many enthusiast sites post SiSoft Sandra benchmark results.

>I will be glad to post results. So that a maximum number of people can
> compare the results, I searched the last year's posts to see what
> benchmarking application is most common. Future Mark Corporation's
> "3DMark®05" is the winner. However, I'm in Kyiv Ukraine, and pay for
> data traffic by the meg. 3DMark®05 is almost 300 MB in size, and will
> cost me about $35 to download.
>
> The only current benchmark program I have available is what is
> included in Norton SystemWorks Premier 2005. Will this suffice? If
> not, is there a much smaller benchmarking application available for
> download?
>

> On Sun, 15 May 2005 21:29:27 GMT, "Phil Weldon"
> <notdiscosed@example.com> wrote:
>
>>Please post the results. It will help all of us.
>>

>>"Full Name (optional)" <jkhfkdhf@eourfue.com> wrote in message
>>>A VERY good methodology and structure for trial and error. Thanks! I
>>> will try this approach. If you are interested, I will post the
>>> results.

Another post of great help. I found 2004 here, but it's not the
"lite" version.

Thanks

http://www.hwupgrade.it/download/file/1526.html

On Mon, 16 May 2005 17:40:03 GMT, "Phil Weldon"
<notdiscosed@example.com> wrote:

>Speed, core voltage, and temperatures will be more useful than benchmark
>results. The main question is what you did to get your overclock, not what
>the performance results are. Anyway, the 3DMark2005 is a graphics
>performance benchmark. A low level benchmark is more useful for CPU
>overclocks since it will isolate CPU and memory system performance. The
>most useful benchmark is one to which most users have access. The SiSoft
>Sandra 2004 system information utility has been widely used for low level
>benchmarks and the 'lite' version is free. The newest version is SiSoft
>Sandra 2005, but, as I remember, one of the most used benchmarks is not
>included in the 2005 free version. The 2004 free version is ~ 6 MB, and the
>2005 free version is ~ 8 Mbytes. You can find SiSoft Sandra 2005 Lite as a
>free download at http://www.sisoftware.net/ . I believe that the free
>version of SiSoft Sandra 2004 may be more suitable, but at least some
>download sites have pulled that version. Both versions have an extensive
>list of CPU, chipset, and memory type performance numbers for comparision,
>and many enthusiast sites post SiSoft Sandra benchmark results.
>

>"Full Name (optional)" <jkhfkdhf@eourfue.com> wrote in message
>>I will be glad to post results. So that a maximum number of people can
>> compare the results, I searched the last year's posts to see what
>> benchmarking application is most common. Future Mark Corporation's
>> "3DMark®05" is the winner. However, I'm in Kyiv Ukraine, and pay for
>> data traffic by the meg. 3DMark®05 is almost 300 MB in size, and will
>> cost me about $35 to download.
>>
>> The only current benchmark program I have available is what is
>> included in Norton SystemWorks Premier 2005. Will this suffice? If
>> not, is there a much smaller benchmarking application available for
>> download?
>>

>> On Sun, 15 May 2005 21:29:27 GMT, "Phil Weldon"
>> <notdiscosed@example.com> wrote:
>>
>>>Please post the results. It will help all of us.
>>>

>>>"Full Name (optional)" <jkhfkdhf@eourfue.com> wrote in message

If you can download it for free, then it should be the 'lite' version. At
anyrate, the full version is a super set of the 'lite' or free version.