New Mac Book line

Tags:
  • Macintosh
  • Mac OS X
  • Product
  • Books
Last response: in Mac Os X
June 13, 2012 2:58:19 AM

Anyone thinking of buying the new Mac book pros or airs at all? What is your opinion about these new models?

More about : mac book line

June 13, 2012 8:04:29 PM

Nope.
The Retina Display is of no interest, like many my eye sight isn't that good, so why pay the extra. The 15-20% processing power increase over what I have would be nice, about 1% of the time.

But the biggest point, I bought my (early) 2011 MBP based on the promises of super-fast storage offered by Thunderbolt, they still haven't delivered! The Promise Drives are as reliable as a second-hand car, LaCie Drives have build quality issues (hence LaCie selling-out to Seagate), G-Tech ain't available in this country (yet), Elgato drives are available at silly money for the size and speed.

The machine is well made and still at least a year ahead of most Windows machines, I'm more than happy with everything bar the Thunderbolt support, problem is fast storage is a big-ticket item for me.
m
l
June 13, 2012 11:56:38 PM

I'm fairly impressed with the new models. I'm a little dissapointed about the Optical Drive and the 17" model being completely gone from the lineup :( 
However i love the inclusion of USB 3.0 ports, an additional thunderbolt port and the retina display is absolutely amazing!

The repair-ability of the new machines is a little off putting. No changeable 2.5" drive, no user serviceable RAM.

I can't wait for Mountain Lion it's going to be great!
m
l
Related resources
June 14, 2012 2:46:59 AM

AidanJC said:
I'm fairly impressed with the new models. I'm a little dissapointed about the Optical Drive and the 17" model being completely gone from the lineup :( 
However i love the inclusion of USB 3.0 ports, an additional thunderbolt port and the retina display is absolutely amazing!

The repair-ability of the new machines is a little off putting. No changeable 2.5" drive, no user serviceable RAM.

In your opinion is there a big difference form the 2.0 to the 3.0 ports? Thanks
m
l
June 14, 2012 3:05:22 AM

musical marv said:

I don't have an MBP, but USB 3.0 ports are night and day better than 2.0 (provided you have a USB 3.0 device). If you're transferring large amounts of data 3.0 is the way to go.

That said...they would make 0 difference for most peripherals (keyboards, mice, gamepads, webcams, etc) - but large USB sticks and external hdds are awesome at 3.0.
m
l
June 14, 2012 3:14:18 AM

musical marv said:

Oh God yes!

It's okay with a USB 2 port for smaller files, but it's truly great to have the ability to back up a few hundred gigabytes of information in say 2 hours instead of 6.

m
l
June 14, 2012 8:01:44 AM

Have a read through the iFixit review before buying, it's probably the least upgradable and repairable laptop ever.
m
l
June 14, 2012 10:02:51 AM

The retina display MBP really is an great machine, if you are prepared to pay 2grand+ for a laptop.

2.5 times the resolution of 1080p, As light as the 13" model, As thin as the MB Air, dedicated graphics, full power mobile quadcore, 7 hours battery life, SSD, aluminium chassis and all the usual apple stuff (good keyboard, excellent trackpad, magnetic power connector, etc.)
Probably the best 15" laptop out there by a large margin, if you are prepared to pay for that.

JustSomeJoe said:
Have a read through the iFixit review before buying, it's probably the least upgradable and repairable laptop ever.

As if other laptops could be repaired or upgraded easily. RAM and SSD are usually the only user replaceble parts and everything else are custom parts that cost shitloads of money on ebay.
m
l
June 15, 2012 2:22:00 AM

JustSomeJoe said:
It is not to repair friendly I agree with you on that.A bitch to fix.
m
l
June 15, 2012 6:06:16 PM

It's worse than that, whatever spec you buy has to last the life of the machine, if after a year you find you need more RAM the only way is to buy a new logic board (if available); it means you have to buy the highest spec you can, just in case.

Apples also tend to have a high re-sale value, I can see that not being the case for the lower spec machines, they may look good, but having a proprietary SSD ain't good when it comes to trying to sell it in a few years.
m
l
June 16, 2012 3:10:35 AM

JustSomeJoe said:
It's worse than that, whatever spec you buy has to last the life of the machine, if after a year you find you need more RAM the only way is to buy a new logic board (if available); it means you have to buy the highest spec you can, just in case.

Apples also tend to have a high re-sale value, I can see that not being the case for the lower spec machines, they may look good, but having a proprietary SSD ain't good when it comes to trying to sell it in a few years.
Apple has you by the balls with this marketing strategy of theirs which is not fair to the consumer.
m
l
June 17, 2012 6:37:33 PM

inanition02 said:
I don't have an MBP, but USB 3.0 ports are night and day better than 2.0 (provided you have a USB 3.0 device). If you're transferring large amounts of data 3.0 is the way to go.

That said...they would make 0 difference for most peripherals (keyboards, mice, gamepads, webcams, etc) - but large USB sticks and external hdds are awesome at 3.0.

Is the new line the first to have USB 3.0 for macbooks?
m
l
June 17, 2012 9:14:43 PM

mac_mac_attack said:

I believe so for MACbooks, but not for NOTEbooks ;) 
m
l
June 18, 2012 3:23:05 AM

mac_mac_attack said:
Yes this is the first for Apple with the new 3.0 ports.
m
l
June 18, 2012 3:48:42 AM

AidanJC said:

this is the only problem i have with MAC's, they market their products on peoples ignorance. all three of these features sound great but are useless to 95% of the people that have the features.

molo9000 said:
The retina display MBP really is an great machine, if you are prepared to pay 2grand+ for a laptop.

2.5 times the resolution of 1080p, As light as the 13" model, As thin as the MB Air, dedicated graphics, full power mobile quadcore, 7 hours battery life, SSD, aluminium chassis and all the usual apple stuff (good keyboard, excellent trackpad, magnetic power connector, etc.)
Probably the best 15" laptop out there by a large margin, if you are prepared to pay for that.

As if other laptops could be repaired or upgraded easily. RAM and SSD are usually the only user replaceble parts and everything else are custom parts that cost shitloads of money on ebay.

2.5 times the resolution means that to get the same performance of a 1080p screen it would need roughly twice the graphics power to be equal, thats of course if you can tell the dif in resolutions on such small screens or game or use other gpu dependent programs.

retina displays are just a sales gimmick in my opinion.

m
l
June 18, 2012 11:45:03 PM

cbrunnem said:
this is the only problem i have with MAC's, they market their products on peoples ignorance. all three of these features sound great but are useless to 95% of the people that have the features.

2.5 times the resolution means that to get the same performance of a 1080p screen it would need roughly twice the graphics power to be equal, thats of course if you can tell the dif in resolutions on such small screens or game or use other gpu dependent programs.

retina displays are just a sales gimmick in my opinion.

But what if I like to keep my face within an inch of my screen, I surely don't want to be able to see any pixels.
m
l
June 18, 2012 11:47:05 PM

mac_mac_attack said:
But what if I like to keep my face within an inch of my screen, I surely don't want to be able to see any pixels.

very true. that would be horrible for anyone to be able to see any pixels from an inch a way. you know what im leaving right now to go buy a 2560x1600 pixel screen minimum. lol
m
l
June 18, 2012 11:57:15 PM

mac_mac_attack said:

but then people would laugh at you for spending that much on a macbook to have to look at the screen an inch away. =P
m
l
June 18, 2012 11:59:25 PM

v90k said:
but then people would laugh at you for spending that much on a macbook to have to look at the screen an inch away. =P

Maybe I'll troll them into looking at the pixels on their own laptop.
m
l
June 19, 2012 12:05:44 AM

Your sir will make optometrists rich :na: 
m
l
June 19, 2012 2:56:26 AM

v90k said:
A sheer waste of money in my opinion.
m
l
June 19, 2012 11:40:15 PM

musical marv said:
A sheer waste of money in my opinion.

Ya but everyone in Starbucks will envy me.
m
l
June 20, 2012 12:08:26 AM

mac_mac_attack said:

therefor you life will be complete....
m
l
June 20, 2012 2:48:38 AM

mac_mac_attack said:
I guess you are a status seeker not a computer user who brags what they own.
m
l
June 20, 2012 2:55:17 AM

musical marv said:
I guess you are a status seeker not a computer user who brags what they own.

who would brag about a ford fussion with Lambo body work...... in case that doesnt make since, a mac looks "good" but offer bad performance in key areas.
m
l
June 21, 2012 2:49:01 AM

cbrunnem said:
who would brag about a ford fussion with Lambo body work...... in case that doesnt make since, a mac looks "good" but offer bad performance in key areas.
Than why are you on a Mac forum if mac is so bad?Acer has bad performance and so does Lenovo poor quality control.
m
l
June 23, 2012 7:54:11 PM

musical marv said:
Than why are you on a Mac forum if mac is so bad?Acer has bad performance and so does Lenovo poor quality control.

It's also hard to pick up ladies with a Lenovo.
m
l
June 23, 2012 8:16:32 PM

mac_mac_attack said:

if you pick up ladies cause of a computer then that is sad on both parties.
m
l
June 24, 2012 2:30:08 AM

mac_mac_attack said:
Pretty sad indeed I agree with the other person.Is that your only smarts using an Apple to get women.
m
l
June 24, 2012 2:52:50 AM

musical marv said:

There is a difference, contrary to what most people believe, the speedup is anywhere between 1.5x to 3x+ rather than 10x theoretical.

See article: (ignore print dialogue).

http://www.tomshardware.com/index.php?ctrl=editorial_re...

AidanJC said:

As always, I'm annoyed that there isn't a matte display option. I work outdoors in parks with fresh air. Those matte screen covers never make sense.

*hugs Powerbook G4 12"* Don't ever die on me.

cbrunnem said:

You get what you pay for, Apple makes the best consumer notebooks

musical marv said:

http://www.rescuecom.com/blog/index.php/rescuecom/rescu...

Lenovo is #1 in reliability this year. :) 

mac_mac_attack said:

Unless it's me of course, I'd love to take a Lenovo X220t tablet off someone.
m
l
June 24, 2012 3:03:42 AM

amdfangirl said:

You get what you pay for, Apple makes the best consumer notebooks

define "best"? if best means something that is pretty then sure. if best means something is reliable then ok but if best includes performance then no way in hell. Apple offers decent cpu options( at least in the laptop market) but you have no options for a decent GPU which for what Macs are used for might not be a big deal but for some it is. If battery life is in the equation thats point for a good discussion.
m
l
June 24, 2012 3:11:42 AM

Well you can't have everything. The only places it falls down are raw performance and price. For the majority of consumers, they can't tell the difference. The Macbook line is well balanced in terms of user experience, and to the majority of consumers, that is what matters.

It's only the minority that will need a powerful GPU. Mostly professionals or gamers.

I don't use a Macbook regularly anymore. I just can't afford a new one :p . I use a $400 Lenovo x120e outfitted with a Crucial c300 SSD.
m
l
June 24, 2012 3:13:00 AM

amdfangirl said:
Well you can't have everything. The only places it falls down are raw performance and price. For the majority of consumers, they can't tell the difference. The Macbook line is well balanced in terms of user experience, and to the majority of consumers, that is what matters.

It's only the minority that will need a powerful GPU. Mostly professionals or gamers.

I don't use a Macbook regularly anymore. I just can't afford a new one :p . I use a $400 Lenovo x120e outfitted with a Crucial c300 SSD.

in that case i will agree
m
l
June 24, 2012 3:17:53 AM

Haha, you should've been there when I wrote a 3 page letter of complaint to Apple when they released their original Macbooks... Could not forgive them for the glossy screen after buying one of the Macbooks.

That's why I use my Lenovo x120e (wireless n 5Ghz is requirement at school) and my Powerbook G4.

Unfortunately, matte screen users are the minority, not the majority.
m
l
June 25, 2012 10:05:18 PM

One thing I enjoy about my lenovo is it'll survive a fall down a staircase, and if something spills on the keyboard it drains without doing any damage, my macbook not so much.
m
l
June 25, 2012 10:41:08 PM

mac_mac_attack said:
One thing I enjoy about my lenovo is it'll survive a fall down a staircase, and if something spills on the keyboard it drains without doing any damage, my macbook not so much.

ive had a lenovo and a toshiba that did the same thing. all the liquid poored out of the usb ports.
m
l
June 25, 2012 11:55:29 PM

cbrunnem said:
ive had a lenovo and a toshiba that did the same thing. all the liquid poored out of the usb ports.

Really, my lenovo has slits in the bottom that liquid drains out of.
m
l
June 26, 2012 2:55:55 AM

mac_mac_attack said:
Where is your C/S when it comes to Lenovo?
m
l
June 26, 2012 5:34:50 AM

Depends on the model of Lenovo laptop.

Thinkpad - ugly but unbreakable like a Nokia
Ideapad - prettier but very breakable

;) 
m
l
June 26, 2012 7:58:39 AM

in my opinion the new MacBookPro is not worth to buy immediately, better wait for more optimized apps and price drop. Apple will introduce more Retina models soon, and eventually most apps will support it. But not so soon.
I would recommend a new Mac Book Air, it has an SSD with more than double speed over a previous model, it should be less heating and working great. 8 Gb model should be awesome.
m
l
June 26, 2012 7:57:13 PM

musical marv said:
Where is your C/S when it comes to Lenovo?

That's not even relevant when it survives hell marv, even if *** happens my wallet doesn't get auto raped.
m
l
June 27, 2012 2:10:22 AM

Customer service for me was great. My $400 Lenovo laptop broke, I phoned them, they sent a courier to pick up my laptop and it was fixed no problems despite having bought the laptop in America and repairing it in Australia.
m
l
June 27, 2012 3:02:38 AM

mac_mac_attack said:
That's not even relevant when it survives hell marv, even if *** happens my wallet doesn't get auto raped.
To each is own in life.
m
l
July 2, 2012 3:35:08 PM

I applaud Apple for making it a new industry standard to push for higher resolution. I am not a big fan of the current practices of the company. I own a 2009ish Mac Mini, and several windows desktops and laptops. That Mac Mini, I cracked open to change the hard drive and the ram the day I got it home. The hardware always falls short somewhere.

Mac parts seem to hold up well, but any luxury comparisons to cars are really laughable. Lambos are not reliable, they are fast and pretty.

I'm excited that Intel and Mac seem to be pushing for higher resolutions, the same thing will happen in Televisions later on. I personally don't care for Mac products anymore, but for those who like to buy them, as long as they enjoy it. Have at it. Thanks for helping our economy. haha
m
l
July 2, 2012 4:04:46 PM

I can certainly tell you the idea of a 30" IPS matte Dell monitor appeals to me more than a 27" Retina screen (rumours). Thing is, my eyes get pretty sore looking at tiny text. I have to maximise my text size just to see the text on a 23" 1980x1080. Don't even talk about Retina! :p .
m
l
July 2, 2012 6:22:56 PM

amdfangirl said:
I can certainly tell you the idea of a 30" IPS matte Dell monitor appeals to me more than a 27" Retina screen (rumours). Thing is, my eyes get pretty sore looking at tiny text. I have to maximise my text size just to see the text on a 23" 1980x1080. Don't even talk about Retina! :p .

See it's ironic because it hurts your retinas.
m
l
July 2, 2012 8:52:47 PM

amdfangirl said:

plus it will not cost you 1.35 arms to get a 27" retina display. I swear who ever buys a retina display is doing it only to say he/she wasted lots of money on something.
m
l
July 3, 2012 2:06:23 AM

mac_mac_attack said:
See it's ironic because it hurts your retinas.
dell is a mediocre company regarding their monitors and computers.
m
l
July 3, 2012 2:11:01 AM

Computers mediocre, high-end displays not so. :) 

Dell makes amazing high-end displays (only high-end mind you). :p 
m
l
July 3, 2012 3:00:16 AM

musical marv said:
dell is a mediocre company regarding their monitors and computers.

hmm you must not have any knowledge of dells business class laptops. you seem to be very one sided...
m
l
      • 1 / 2
      • Newest