Can’t get P3 650 MHZ Over 714 Mhz with Easytune4!!!

I am really new to Easytune4 and OC’ing.I am using a Gigabyte DGA-61WF
Motherboard,i just got the easytune4 with the motherboard cd,and i
used it,and can’t get it past 714 mhz.i also can’t access the
multiplier,and voltage settings.please tell me what this is all about.

Topic URL: http://www.hardwareforumz.com/Overclocking-P3-650-MHZ-714-Mhz-Easytune4-ftopict57716.html
Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse: http://www.hardwareforumz.com/eform.php?p=291000

tonyc

"PN" <UseLinkToEmail@HardwareForumz.com> wrote in message
>I am really new to Easytune4 and OC'ing.I am using a Gigabyte DGA-61WF
> Motherboard,i just got the easytune4 with the motherboard cd,and i
> used it,and can't get it past 714 mhz.i also can't access the
> multiplier,and voltage settings.please tell me what this is all about.

When I had my P3-650 I just treated like a P3-866 (133FSB) right out of the
box, may need a little more voltage though. Preferably using the BIOS and
not EasyTune. Memtest and Prime95 to check stabilty.

Tony

'PN' wrote:
"I am really new to Easytune4 and OC’ing.I am using a Gigabyte DGA-61WF
Motherboard,i just got the easytune4 with the motherboard cd,and i used
it,and can’t get it past 714 mhz.i also can’t access the multiplier,and
voltage settings.please tell me what this is all about."

The usual 'rule of thumb' is that you can't expect a much higer clock speed
that the maximum for a particular series of CPU's (say 25% without truly
heroic cooling.) On the other hand, some Intel CPUs are exactly what they
are marked, and not much more.

You have a 'Coppermine' type Pentium III with a 100 MHz FrontSideBus; the
highest speed CPUs of that type is a bit over 1000 MHz, so you have a chance
to overclock.

The multipler for your CPU can NOT be changed; all overclocking for Pentium
CPUs since the Pentium 'Classic' must be by raising the FrontSide Bus speed.
If rasing the FrontSide Bus speed on your particular motherboard also raises
the PCI bus speed, your hard drive data my be corrupted. Some motherboards
for Pentium III CPUs can change the divider that sets the PCI bus speed as a
fraction of the FrontSide Bus speed. If your motherboard has a setting of
PCI = 1/4 FrontSideBus, then a FrontSide Bus speed of 133 MHz would give the
correct 33 MHz PCI bus speed, and a CPU speed of 133/100 X 650 MHz = 864 MHz
while still maintaining the correct PCI bus speed of 33 MHz.

For a Gigabyte Pentium III capable motherboard, the settings for CPU
voltages and bus speeds should be accessible in the BIOS on boot, as well as
through Easy Tuner, but you don't seem to have given the correct
identification. Perhaps your motherboard is a GA 6IWFE or GA 6IWFL, or
maybe its just that the Gigabyte website doesn't work very well.

It would be helpful in getting an answer if you post what happens when you
try to overclock above 714 MHz, what you see in the BIOS screen for setting
the FrontSide Bus speed, AGP/PCI multipliers, and CPU core voltage, and what
you see in Easy Tune when you look for overclocking settings.

Cooling is also a factor in overclocking, but at only a 10% overclock and
stock CPU core voltage, that should not be a problem yet. Also, even if you
haven't changed the PCI multiplier, a 10% rise in the FrontSide Bus speed
would give only a 37 MHz PCI bus speed, still within acceptable limits,
though only just. The problems caused by too high PCI bus speed usually
don't prevent booting.

Phil Weldon

"Phil Weldon" wrote:
> [...]
> don't prevent booting.
>
> Phil Weldon
>

> "PN" <UseLinkToEmail@HardwareForumz.com> wrote in message
> >I am really new to Easytune4 and OC’ing.I am using a Gigabyte
> DGA-61WF
> > Motherboard,i just got the easytune4 with the motherboard
> cd,and i
> > used it,and can’t get it past 714 mhz.i also can’t access
> the
> > multiplier,and voltage settings.please tell me what this is
> all about.
> >
> > --
> > Posted using the http://www.hardwareforumz.com interface, at author's
> > request
> standards
> > Topic URL:
> > http://www.hardwareforumz.com/Overclocking-P3-650-MHZ-714-Mhz-Easytune4-ftopict57716.html
> > Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report

The Motherboard model is DGA-61WF

When I try to raise above 714 mhz (110 FSB MHZ) in easytune4,
For example,i try setting it to 133 FSB MHZ (it says 864.50 mhz)
and click on "GO",it loads for a while,but then when finishes,shows
that it is still 714 mhz with 110 mhz fsb.

NO VOLTAGE SETTINGS ARE AVAILABLE IN EASYTUNE4

'PN' wrote:
"The Motherboard model is DGA-61WF When I try to raise above 714 mhz (110
FSB MHZ) in easytune4, For example,i try setting it to 133 FSB MHZ (it says
864.50 mhz) and click on "GO",it loads for a while,but then when
finishes,shows that it is still 714 mhz with 110 mhz fsb."

I'm sorry, I don't have that particular motherboard, and the Gigabyte
website gives different information that what you have posted; according to
the website, Easytune 4 DOES give access to the CPU core voltage, and there
is no DGA-61WF motherboard, though GA6IWFE and GA6IWFL motherboards are
listed.

Perhaps you have an OEM motherboard specially made for a desktop
manufacturer.

Can you access the BIOS at all (an option when booting up)?
Also, your description of what happens when you try to overclock seems to be
missing details. For example, 'it loads for a while, but then when
fisishes, shows that it is still 714 mhz with 110 mhz fsb', what does that
mean? That Easy Tune reports the speed? Why don't you try setting the FSB,
voltage, and AGP/PCI divider in the BIOS?

Phil Weldon

"PN" <DoNotEmail@HardwareForumz.com> wrote in message

..
..
..

tonyc

"Phil Weldon" <notdiscosed@example.com> wrote in message
> 'PN' wrote:
> "The Motherboard model is DGA-61WF When I try to raise above 714 mhz (110
> FSB MHZ) in easytune4, For example,i try setting it to 133 FSB MHZ (it
> says 864.50 mhz) and click on "GO",it loads for a while,but then when
> finishes,shows that it is still 714 mhz with 110 mhz fsb."
>
> I'm sorry, I don't have that particular motherboard, and the Gigabyte
> website gives different information that what you have posted; according
> to the website, Easytune 4 DOES give access to the CPU core voltage, and
> there is no DGA-61WF motherboard, though GA6IWFE and GA6IWFL motherboards
> are listed.
>
> Perhaps you have an OEM motherboard specially made for a desktop
> manufacturer.
>
> Can you access the BIOS at all (an option when booting up)?
> Also, your description of what happens when you try to overclock seems to
> be missing details. For example, 'it loads for a while, but then when
> fisishes, shows that it is still 714 mhz with 110 mhz fsb', what does that
> mean? That Easy Tune reports the speed? Why don't you try setting the
> FSB, voltage, and AGP/PCI divider in the BIOS?
>
> Phil Weldon
>
> "PN" <DoNotEmail@HardwareForumz.com> wrote in message

You're probably going to get further by overclocking using the BIOS, though
I think Gigabyte boards have lots of options hidden by default. I think
it's shift-F1 or ctrl-F1 to unhide these settings.

Tony

On Wed, 22 Jun 2005 21:20:33 +1200, "~misfit~"
<misfit61nz@yahoot.co.nz> wrote:

>TonyC wrote:

>> You're probably going to get further by overclocking using the BIOS,
>> though I think Gigabyte boards have lots of options hidden by
>> default. I think it's shift-F1 or ctrl-F1 to unhide these settings.

>Huh? How's that go?

><Wonders if that's why during boot-up it says SMART disabled but am unable
>to find a way to enable it in BIOS on my 7DXE>

S.M.A.R.T. or SMART ?

S.M.A.R.T. is a disk condition indicator integrated into the hard
drive

¸ô¶ó

tonyc

"~misfit~" <misfit61nz@yahoot.co.nz> wrote in message
> TonyC wrote:
>>
>> You're probably going to get further by overclocking using the BIOS,
>> though I think Gigabyte boards have lots of options hidden by
>> default. I think it's shift-F1 or ctrl-F1 to unhide these settings.
>
> Huh? How's that go?
>
> <Wonders if that's why during boot-up it says SMART disabled but am unable
> to find a way to enable it in BIOS on my 7DXE>
> --
> ~misfit~

Gigabyte chooses to hide some of the more advanced features of its BIOS
until CTRL-F1 is pressed on the main BIOS menu.

Tony

On Thu, 23 Jun 2005 13:38:46 +1200, "~misfit~"
<misfit61nz@yahoot.co.nz> wrote:

>borolad@myowseintheboro.org wrote:
>> On Wed, 22 Jun 2005 21:20:33 +1200, "~misfit~"
>> <misfit61nz@yahoot.co.nz> wrote:

>>> Huh? How's that go?

>>> <Wonders if that's why during boot-up it says SMART disabled but am
>>> unable to find a way to enable it in BIOS on my 7DXE>

>> S.M.A.R.T. or SMART ?

>> S.M.A.R.T. is a disk condition indicator integrated into the hard
>> drive

>And SMART is the word most people put in front of the word "arse" when
>talking about you. ;-)

Tut Tut, now my post was intended to discover which of the two, and ;

>Yeah, I figured people here were 'smart' enough to know wnat I was talking
>about without all those full-stops.

the ' full stops ' are the precise display syntax in the DOS
bootstrap.

What kind of [ assumed ] domestic wretchedness leads you to insult a
well intended poster such as I ?

Your bucolic attitude is indicative of a less than adequate ability to
think through your problem and make progress.

I do hope that someone will drag you screaming to the view that SMART
with the full stops is as I said HDD syntax., and hopefully they will
do this before you go over the falls of self assured ignorance without
a barrel.

Try to behave ' misfit ' , just because it's you nym does
.. . . not make it a behaved necessity.

Kind regards,

¸ô¶ó

"Phil Weldon" wrote:
> 'PN' wrote:
> "The Motherboard model is DGA-61WF When I try to raise above
> 714 mhz (110
> FSB MHZ) in easytune4, For example,i try setting it to 133 FSB
> MHZ (it says
> 864.50 mhz) and click on "GO",it loads for a while,but then
> when
> finishes,shows that it is still 714 mhz with 110 mhz fsb."
>
> I'm sorry, I don't have that particular motherboard, and the
> Gigabyte
> website gives different information that what you have posted;
> according to
> the website, Easytune 4 DOES give access to the CPU core
> voltage, and there
> is no DGA-61WF motherboard, though GA6IWFE and GA6IWFL
> motherboards are
> listed.
>
> Perhaps you have an OEM motherboard specially made for a
> desktop
> manufacturer.
>
> Can you access the BIOS at all (an option when booting up)?
> Also, your description of what happens when you try to
> overclock seems to be
> missing details. For example, 'it loads for a while, but then
> when
> fisishes, shows that it is still 714 mhz with 110 mhz fsb',
> what does that
> mean? That Easy Tune reports the speed? Why don't you try
> setting the FSB,
> voltage, and AGP/PCI divider in the BIOS?
>
> Phil Weldon
>
> "PN" <DoNotEmail@HardwareForumz.com> wrote in message
>  > >
> ..
> ..
> ..

I went to BIOS,and accessed Frequency/Voltage Control,tHE ONLY OPTION
there was the CPU Clock Ratio in CPU/DIMM/PCI MHZ (in that order)

I set it to 120/120/40
(CPU-120MHZ,DIMM-120MHZ,PCI-40MHZ)

the speed i got was 780 mhz.

But now my onboard AC97 Sound Driver’s stopped working.
The system also unexpectedly locks up sometimes.

Any Help ?

Topic URL: http://www.hardwareforumz.com/Overclocking-P3-650-MHZ-714-Mhz-Easytune4-ftopict57716.html
Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse: http://www.hardwareforumz.com/eform.php?p=292175

You're overclocking the PCI bus to 40 mhz. IDE as well. Apparently your
sound chip doesn't like it. There doesn't seem to be much you can do about
this. I suppose you could try cooling the sound chip,if it's noticebaly hot.

'PN' wrote:
| I went to BIOS,and accessed Frequency/Voltage Control,tHE ONLY OPTION
there was the CPU Clock Ratio in
| CPU/DIMM/PCI MHZ (in that order)
|
| I set it to 120/120/40 (CPU-120MHZ,DIMM-120MHZ,PCI-40MHZ)
|
| the speed i got was 780 mhz.
|
| But now my onboard AC97 Sound Driver’s stopped working.
| The system also unexpectedly locks up sometimes.
|
| Any Help ?

___

The setting you selected for the PCI bus speed is too high. The correct PCI
speed is 33 MHz, and things begin to go wrong the PCI bus speed is much over
37 MHz (and that can vary according to the motherboard speed and the devices
that are connected to the PCI bus [your the integrated audio function on
your motherboard is connected to the PCI bus]). At a 40 MHz PCI bus speed
your hard drives (also connected to the PCI bus) will likely have problems
with data corruption.

STOP USING THE 40 MHz PCI bus setting. Use ONLY a PCI bus speed of 37 MHz
or lower. And check your hard drives for corruption that already may have
occured.

If the BIOS gives you no choice but a PCI bus speed that is 1/3 the CPU
clock speed, then 36 MHz X 3 = 111 MHz is the highest CPU clock speed usable
for your motherboard, giving a 111 MHz X 6.5 = 722 MHz CPU speed.

To repeat; it may be that you have an Original Manufacturer Motherboard,
produced by Gigabyte for a manufacturer of desktop systems. That is one
explanation of the fact that the board id you post is not listed by
Gigabyte, and that EasyTune 4 does not operate as explained by Gigabyte. It
may be that the BIOS for your motherboard has no facility for setting the
CPU voltage or using a different multipler (such as 1/4 rather than 1/3) for
the PCI bus speed. If this is the case, then your motherboard limits
overclocking to about what you had already reached.

BUT, you have not really provided EXACT information about your system. When
dealing with computer systems, EXACT information is necessary. Unless you
post FULL and EXACT information about your system, then there is no more I
can add.

Did you build the system yourself?

WHERE and HOW did you obtain your motherboard? As part of a purchased
system? Did you buy it new, from a reputable dealer? Did you buy it used?

Do you have a manual? What does the manual say about overclocking settings
in the BIOS?
Did you get a Gigabyte CD containing EasyTune with the motherboard?

Have you tried to get information about your motherboard, using the Gigabyte
website? (I can't, the specific motherboard id you posted isn't listed, and
the support section of the Gigabyte website does not seem to work.)

My conclusion is that you have a limited, OEM version of the Gigabyte
GA6IWEF or GA6IWFL (note that the middle symbol is 'eye', not 'one'), and
that it is not overclockable more than ~ 10% with a 100 MHz FSB CPU.

Unless you can post addition information, then that's it for overclocking
that motherboard.

If you want to overclock, you need
a motherboard that is overclocking friendly that has, at a minimum
ability to set the CPU voltage
abiltiy to set the CPU clock speed
abiltiy to set the AGP/PCI multiplers to keep the PCI bus speed at 37
MHz or below

other settings that can be useful
memory timings
memory voltage
memory speed

All Intel CPUs are very overclockable when
installed into an overclocking friendly motherboard
used with memory capable of operating at increased speeds
used with an adequate power supply
used with adequate cooling.

At this point, it is hardly worth replacing your motherboard unless you can
get a very low price on a used motherboard, but when just beginning to
overclock, it is a good idea to start with the best components you can
afford (to reduce the number of things that could limit the overclock.) You
might consider just being satisfied with 714 MHz until you replace your
system.

Finally:
Read information from overclocking websites.
Read information in the specifications for motherboards listed in
manufacturer websites.
Read reviews of the components you have or purchase.
Download manuals from manufacturer websites.
Read many, many times, purchase once.
If you purchase a motherboard, choose one from a manufacturer that many,
many posters in this newsgroup have also purchased from.
Choose a model for which posters to this newsgroup have reported good
results.

I can recommend the manufacturers aBit and ASUS. There are 'overclocking
friendly' motherboards from other manufacturers, it is just that I have not
personally used such motherboards. There are motherboards that are very
defininitly NOT overclocking friendly (any Intel manufactured motherboard),
any motherboard in a system manufactured by a major system manufacturer
(DELL, HP, IBM, Sony.)

Unless you can post new information, that's it.

I hope this helps. Don't give up on overclocking.

Read more. Based on your investigations, post more questions (most of which
have been answered before in this newsgroup.) You can used the Google
newsgroup archives to find additional information (for example, search
Google groups for messages posted to the newsgroup
alt.comp.hardware.overclocking containing the word Gigabyte.)

Phil Weldon

"PN" <UseLinkToEmail@HardwareForumz.com> wrote in message

..
..
..
> I went to BIOS,and accessed Frequency/Voltage Control,tHE ONLY OPTION
> there was the CPU Clock Ratio in CPU/DIMM/PCI MHZ (in that order)
>
> I set it to 120/120/40
> (CPU-120MHZ,DIMM-120MHZ,PCI-40MHZ)
>
> the speed i got was 780 mhz.
>
> But now my onboard AC97 Sound Driver’s stopped working.
> The system also unexpectedly locks up sometimes.
>
> Any Help ?

> request
> Topic URL:
> http://www.hardwareforumz.com/Overclocking-P3-650-MHZ-714-Mhz-Easytune4-ftopict57716.html
> http://www.hardwareforumz.com/eform.php?p=292175

*'``'*:-.,_,.-:*'``'*:- ¸ô¶ó -:*'``'*:-.,_,.-:*'``'*

>See the smiley?

Missed that M8, apologies offered !

¸ô¶ó

<borolad@myowseintheboro.org> wrote in message
> On Thu, 23 Jun 2005 13:38:46 +1200, "~misfit~"
> <misfit61nz@yahoot.co.nz> wrote:
>
>>borolad@myowseintheboro.org wrote:
>>> On Wed, 22 Jun 2005 21:20:33 +1200, "~misfit~"
>>> <misfit61nz@yahoot.co.nz> wrote:

..
..
..
> Tut Tut, now my post was intended to discover which of the two, and ;
>
>>Yeah, I figured people here were 'smart' enough to know wnat I was talking
>>about without all those full-stops.
>
> the ' full stops ' are the precise display syntax in the DOS
> bootstrap.
>
> What kind of [ assumed ] domestic wretchedness leads you to insult a
> well intended poster such as I ?
>
> Your bucolic attitude is indicative of a less than adequate ability to
> think through your problem and make progress.
>
> I do hope that someone will drag you screaming to the view that SMART
> with the full stops is as I said HDD syntax., and hopefully they will
> do this before you go over the falls of self assured ignorance without
> a barrel.
>
> Try to behave ' misfit ' , just because it's you nym does
> . . . not make it a behaved necessity.
>
> Kind regards,
>
> ¸ô¶ó

Somehow your first post to this thread is missing from my news server. Did
you cancel it? And where did the issue of S.M.A.R.T. arise? And what's
with 'full stops', a string of the symbol '.'?

Phil Weldon

~misfit~ wrote:

<snip>

> Oh, nearly forgot. You're American right? What you call a 'period', ".", the
> rest of the English-speaking world call a full-stop.

That's because we only 'stop' for a brief, uh, period and then go on to
read the next sentence. If there is one <full stop>

'~misfit~' wrote, in part:
| I bought up S.M.A.R.T. when it was mentioned that <ctrl> <F1> will often
get
| you more options with Gigabyte's BIOS screen. I mentioned that I had a
7DXE
| which says "S.M.A.R.T. disabled" on the boot screen but I hadn't found a
way
| to enable it. I didn't know about the <ctrl> <F1> thing. I hit <delete> to
| get into BOIS, then <ctrl> <F1> and, lo and behold, I had the option of
| enabling S.M.A.R.T. and also adjusting AGP aperture and a few other
things.

_____
Thanks for the information; don't know why your post did not show on my news
server.

The hidden BIOS page access for Gigabyte is interesting. Now, can you tell
me how to access any of the downloads for Gigabyte manuals; none of the
search functions seem to work; you can select a motherboard, but then
nothing happens. In the same fashion, contacting technical support isn't
possible either. Does access to secret Gigabyte webpages likewise require
initiation into an esoteric society of arcane knowledge?

Anyway, I have some non Gigabyte motherboards for which the manufacturers
professe to have S.M.A.R.T. but that have no BIOS entries for that function.
I'll try [CTL] [F1] !

As for fullstop, I thought it was a mountain in Queensland B^)

Phil Weldon

> Phil Weldon wrote:
>>
>> Somehow your first post to this thread is missing from my news
>> server. Did you cancel it? And where did the issue of S.M.A.R.T.
>> arise? And what's with 'full stops', a string of the symbol '.'?
>
> Hey Phil,
>
> I bought up S.M.A.R.T. when it was mentioned that <ctrl> <F1> will often
> get
> you more options with Gigabyte's BIOS screen. I mentioned that I had a
> 7DXE
> which says "S.M.A.R.T. disabled" on the boot screen but I hadn't found a
> way
> to enable it. I didn't know about the <ctrl> <F1> thing. I hit <delete> to
> get into BOIS, then <ctrl> <F1> and, lo and behold, I had the option of
> enabling S.M.A.R.T. and also adjusting AGP aperture and a few other
> things.
>
> I was really pleased to find this out, I also got access to my RAM
> timings,
> they were horrendous. It's running a single module of 512MB PC3200 on a
> 133FSB so I changed the settings to 2-2-2-6 and rebooted and ran Prime95
> for
> six hours with no problems. It's all good.
>
> Now I'm wondering about that other Gigabyte board I stopped using that I
> couldn't find a way to turn off OB graphics with, if that has the option
> as
> well if I hit <ctrl> <F1>. I hated that it reserved system RAM even though
> wasn't using the OB graphics. Might have to bench-test it and see.
>
> Oh, nearly forgot. You're American right? What you call a 'period', ".",
> the
> rest of the English-speaking world call a full-stop.
>
> Cheers,
> --
> ~misfit~

On Thu, 23 Jun 2005 13:38:46 +1200, "~misfit~"
<misfit61nz@yahoot.co.nz> wrote:

>borolad@myowseintheboro.org wrote:
>> On Wed, 22 Jun 2005 21:20:33 +1200, "~misfit~"
>> <misfit61nz@yahoot.co.nz> wrote:

>>> Huh? How's that go?

>>> <Wonders if that's why during boot-up it says SMART disabled but am
>>> unable to find a way to enable it in BIOS on my 7DXE>

>> S.M.A.R.T. or SMART ?

Self-Monitoring Analysis and Reporting Technology is pretty useless
unless you run an ' active ' reporting to windows type prog. I've been
switching it off now for over a decade.

It's no use monitoring disk performance, faulty sectors,
recalibration, CRC errors, drive spin-up time, drive heads, distance
between the heads and the disk platters, drive temperature etc unless
it's reported to the O/S in time to backup or replace the drive.

http://www.digital-daily.com/motherboard/gigabyte-8gpnxp-duo/index04.htm
http://www.anandtech.com/mb/showdoc.html?i=1901&p=4
http://www.hardocp.com/article.html?art=NDQwLDI=
http://www.extremeoverclocking.com/reviews/motherboards/Gigabyte_8PE800Ultra_5.html

'~misfit~' wrote, in part:
| I used to run a nifty little app that sat in my systray and monitored my
| HDD, told me the temp, would run S.M.A.R.T. diagnostics and generate a
log,
| pop up a warning if anything was out of spec.

_____
Your bit on S.M.A.R.T. monitoring reminded me of my new ADSL modem. It has
a diagnostics display that reports:

ADSL Status: ADSL ConnectionUp
Resync Count: 0
ADSL Mode: T1-413
Downstream Bit Rate: 2016 Kbps
Upstream Bit Rate: 384 Kbps
Downstream Capacity Occupation: 26 %
Downstream Noise Margin: 31.02 dB
Downstream Attenuation: 39.40 dB
Downstream Output Power: 19.75 dBm
Upstream Capacity Occupation: 46 %
Upstream Noise Margin: 20.00 dB
Upstream Attenuation: 20.00 dB
Upstream Output Power: 12.33 dBm

Now how to gather and log this fullstoply and display in real time via the
systray?
On the otherhand, to what purpose? Recent rainfall is as good a predictor
of falling ADSL performance for me B^)

"~misfit~" <misfit61nz@yahoot.co.nz> wrote in message
..
..
..

Phil Weldon wrote:
> '~misfit~' wrote, in part:
>> I bought up S.M.A.R.T. when it was mentioned that <ctrl> <F1> will
>> often get you more options with Gigabyte's BIOS screen. I mentioned
>> that I had a 7DXE which says "S.M.A.R.T. disabled" on the boot
>> screen but I hadn't found a way to enable it. I didn't know about
>> the <ctrl> <F1> thing. I hit <delete> to get into BOIS, then <ctrl>
>> <F1> and, lo and behold, I had the option of enabling S.M.A.R.T. and
>> also adjusting AGP aperture and a few other things.
>
> _____
> Thanks for the information; don't know why your post did not show on
> my news server.

No Problem. :)

> The hidden BIOS page access for Gigabyte is interesting. Now, can
> you tell me how to access any of the downloads for Gigabyte manuals;
> none of the search functions seem to work; you can select a
> motherboard, but then nothing happens. In the same fashion,
> contacting technical support isn't possible either. Does access to
> secret Gigabyte webpages likewise require initiation into an esoteric
> society of arcane knowledge?

Indeed it does. <g>. I always use the Gigabyte Taiwan site and have no
problems getting the manual I want, I'm just downloading two that I don't
need now to test it. Link below. When you get to the 'choose a download
source' page right click and 'save as' or it opens the .pdf in your browser:

http://tw.giga-byte.com/Motherboard/Support/Manual/Manual_List.htm

> Anyway, I have some non Gigabyte motherboards for which the
> manufacturers professe to have S.M.A.R.T. but that have no BIOS
> entries for that function. I'll try [CTL] [F1] !

I don't know that it works for non-Gigabyte boards but, if need be, I'll try
it too. :)

> As for fullstop, I thought it was a mountain in Queensland B^)

Probably is. Aussies aren't very imaginative. ;-)

--
~misfit~ (BTW, the manuals downloaded fine.)

> The multipler for your CPU can NOT be changed; all overclocking for
Pentium
> CPUs since the Pentium 'Classic' must be by raising the FrontSide Bus
speed.

Actually Phil, some of the early Pentium II's had unlocked multipliers. I
know because I have a P2/300 with an unlocked multiplier. It's not terribly
useful and won't overclock, but. . :)

Sorry for nitpicking,

--Decimal Cat

'Decimal Cat' wrote:
| Actually Phil, some of the early Pentium II's had unlocked multipliers. I
| know because I have a P2/300 with an unlocked multiplier. It's not
terribly
| useful and won't overclock, but. . :)

Yeah, I know, but its awfully long to say it precisely B^)

Intel non-imbeded CPUs since the Pentium classic
(except for engineering samples)
( except for Pentium II CPUs with a 66 MHz FSB)
(except for some models of Pentium MMX CPUs that are multiplier limited)
(except for some high speed model Pentium 4 CPUs that can be set for lower
than rated top multiplier)
(exceept for any models that I may have forgotten.)

I had a Pentium II 266 that was quite useful for testing memory @ 133 MHz
FSB X 2 and that overclocked quite nicely @ 100 MHz X 4, as well as at (as I
remember) 66 MHz X 5.

Phil Weldon

"" wrote:
> 'Decimal Cat' wrote:
> | Actually Phil, some of the early Pentium II's had unlocked
> multipliers. I
> | know because I have a P2/300 with an unlocked multiplier.
> It's not
> terribly
> | useful and won't overclock, but. . :)
>
> Yeah, I know, but its awfully long to say it precisely B^)
>
> Intel non-imbeded CPUs since the Pentium classic
> (except for engineering samples)
> ( except for Pentium II CPUs with a 66 MHz FSB)
> (except for some models of Pentium MMX CPUs that are
> multiplier limited)
> (except for some high speed model Pentium 4 CPUs that can be
> set for lower
> than rated top multiplier)
> (exceept for any models that I may have forgotten.)
>
> I had a Pentium II 266 that was quite useful for testing
> memory @ 133 MHz
> FSB X 2 and that overclocked quite nicely @ 100 MHz X 4, as
> well as at (as I
> remember) 66 MHz X 5.
>
> Phil Weldon
>
> "Decimal Cat" <unknownanomaly@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> >
> > "Phil Weldon" <notdiscosed@example.com> wrote in message
> >> The multipler for your CPU can NOT be changed; all
> overclocking for
> > Pentium
> >> CPUs since the Pentium 'Classic' must be by raising the
> FrontSide Bus
> > speed.
> >
> > Actually Phil, some of the early Pentium II's had unlocked
> multipliers. I
> > know because I have a P2/300 with an unlocked multiplier.
> It's not
> > terribly
> > useful and won't overclock, but. . :)
> >
> > Sorry for nitpicking,
> >
> > --Decimal Cat

im also trying to get my 650 over 714 , but my mainboard doesnt allow
me to change the cpu voltage , its an MSI-6309 (Via Apollo 133A) ..
and i cant update the BIOs either cuz theres no option for disable
bios protection. :( .. please help me :roll:

Topic URL: http://www.hardwareforumz.com/Overclocking-P3-650-MHZ-714-Mhz-Easytune4-ftopict57716.html
Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse: http://www.hardwareforumz.com/eform.php?p=294226