  • Overclocking
Last response: in Overclocking
a b K Overclocking
June 28, 2005 9:45:37 PM

I have just got an XP2000+ along with a Abit KD7 raid mobo and the
temperatures are rather alarming, Motherboard Monitor is quoting
temperatures of a case temp of 47 and CPU idle temps of ~50c and under
load temps of 95c. Current drivers for everything are installed.

The Bios quotes a surface temperature 65 and a core temp of 85 after
resetting after full load.

This is using a copper heatpipe Coolermaster heatsink which has
previously been used on a Duron 1600 and a Athlon XP2500+ Barton on a
Abit KT7a & MSI K7N2 Delta with a pretty much constant 60C even when
the 2500 was overclocked to 3200.

Other coolers have been used with the same result, and the spread of
the HS compound when the HSF was removed indicates a good contact
between CPU and HSF.

System:

Windows XP Pro
Athlon XP 2000+
Abit KD7-RAID mobo
512meg RAM, PC2100
Radeon 7200 DDR VIVO
4x40gig HDs
CD-RW & DVD-RW

CPU details are:

AX2000 DMT3C
AGIA 0230WPHW
91545930695

--
ButIstillneedtoknowwhat'sinthere!Thekeytoanysecurity
systemishowit'sdesigned!Thatdependsonwhyitwasdesigned!

More about : massively overheating xp2000

July 2, 2005 11:13:28 PM

> ..., Motherboard Monitor is quoting
> temperatures of a case temp of 47 and CPU idle temps of ~50c and under
> load temps of 95c. Current drivers for everything are installed.
>
> The Bios quotes a surface temperature 65 and a core temp of 85 after
> resetting after full load.

Must be faulty temperature sensor. Touch the heatsink. You would badly burn
your finger on the heat sink if that reading were true. The processor will
lock up quickly above 75C.

-Kent
Anonymous
a b K Overclocking
July 3, 2005 2:50:39 AM

"Kent_Diego" <None@Gmail.com> wrote in message
>> ..., Motherboard Monitor is quoting
>> temperatures of a case temp of 47 and CPU idle temps of ~50c and under
>> load temps of 95c. Current drivers for everything are installed.
>>
>> The Bios quotes a surface temperature 65 and a core temp of 85 after
>> resetting after full load.
>>

> Must be faulty temperature sensor. Touch the heatsink. You would badly
> burn your finger on the heat sink if that reading were true. The processor
> will lock up quickly above 75C.
>
> -Kent

Uh, if he would be badly burnt at that temperature, maybe he should just
"hover" his hand close to the heatsink.

MC
a b K Overclocking
July 4, 2005 5:03:04 PM

Kent_Diego wrote:
[...]
> The processor will lock up quickly above 75C.

Not at all. All K7's will quite happily operate at 75 deg C, and are specced
from 85 deg C to 100 deg C depending on the chip. Of course, this is
dependent on the motherboard giving you a correct reading (and it's next to
impossible to figure out how far off your motherboard is).

--
Michael Brown
Add michael@ to emboss.co.nz ---+--- My inbox is always open

On Mon, 4 Jul 2005 13:03:04 +1000, "Michael Brown"
<see@signature.below> wrote:

>Kent_Diego wrote:
>[...]
>> The processor will lock up quickly above 75C.
>
>Not at all. All K7's will quite happily operate at 75 deg C, and are specced
>from 85 deg C to 100 deg C depending on the chip. Of course, this is
>dependent on the motherboard giving you a correct reading (and it's next to
>impossible to figure out how far off your motherboard is).

The problem has largely fixed itself, I put the CPU in another board
and it was fine, put it back in the original board and it was fine.

This left the system higher than the CPU with CPO at 40 and the system
at 55... I moved a Hard Drive up a couple slots and the system temp
dropped 10C to 45 so now the temps are CPU is 40 and the system is 45,
much less worrying.

-

!