*underclocking* RAM

Hi All,

I’ve recently purchased the following equipment:

Abit Fatality AN8 SLI mb (939/DDR400) (latest bios: 1.5)
AMD Athlon 64 4000+ cpu
Corsair 1024MB TWINX-3200C2 memory (DDR400)
Geforce 6800 Ultra PCI-E video card
550w power supply

Unfortunately, this setup was immediately unstable -- crashing,
rebooting, freezing, etc. I ran memtest and discovered that the RAM
was throwing errors. I tested each module separately (by removing each
in turn), and discovered that only one was causing a problem. So, I
returned both modules and got replacements. The new ones also failed.

So, I decided to take a look at BIOS settings. All the RAM setting
were set to "auto". I tried changing this to "by SPD", and that
made the system more stable, but I still got some RAM errors. I then
changed the bus speed from DDR400 to DDR333 -- this has completely
solved the problem, though of course the system is now not optimized.

So, my questions are: 1) does this indicate a motherboard problem, or
do you suspect I still have faulty RAM? and 2) How can I tweak
(underclock) the RAM settings, without the drastic step of reducing
the bus speed to 333, but still make the system stable?

Thanks for any help, and let me know if I need to provide further
info.

Topic URL: http://www.hardwareforumz.com/Overclocking-underclocking-RAM-ftopict58300.html
Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse: http://www.hardwareforumz.com/eform.php?p=294662

"sinnerman" wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I've recently purchased the following equipment:
>
> Abit Fatality AN8 SLI mb (939/DDR400) (latest bios: 1.5)
> AMD Athlon 64 4000+ cpu
> Corsair 1024MB TWINX-3200C2 memory (DDR400)
> Geforce 6800 Ultra PCI-E video card
> 550w power supply
>
> Unfortunately, this setup was immediately unstable --
> crashing, rebooting, freezing, etc. I ran memtest and
> discovered that the RAM was throwing errors. I tested each
> module separately (by removing each in turn), and discovered
> that only one was causing a problem. So, I returned both
> modules and got replacements. The new ones also failed.
>
> So, I decided to take a look at BIOS settings. All the RAM
> setting were set to "auto". I tried changing this to "by SPD",
> and that made the system more stable, but I still got some RAM
> errors. I then changed the bus speed from DDR400 to DDR333 --
> this has completely solved the problem, though of course the
> system is now not optimized.
>
> So, my questions are: 1) does this indicate a motherboard
> problem, or do you suspect I still have faulty RAM? and 2) How
> can I tweak (underclock) the RAM settings, without the drastic
> step of reducing the bus speed to 333, but still make the
> system stable?
>
> Thanks for any help, and let me know if I need to provide
> further info.

BTW, I’m running Windows XP with all the latest updates.

"sinnerman" wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I've recently purchased the following equipment:
>
> Abit Fatality AN8 SLI mb (939/DDR400) (latest bios: 1.5)
> AMD Athlon 64 4000+ cpu
> Corsair 1024MB TWINX-3200C2 memory (DDR400)
> Geforce 6800 Ultra PCI-E video card
> 550w power supply
>
> Unfortunately, this setup was immediately unstable --
> crashing, rebooting, freezing, etc. I ran memtest and
> discovered that the RAM was throwing errors. I tested each
> module separately (by removing each in turn), and discovered
> that only one was causing a problem. So, I returned both
> modules and got replacements. The new ones also failed.
>
> So, I decided to take a look at BIOS settings. All the RAM
> setting were set to "auto". I tried changing this to "by SPD",
> and that made the system more stable, but I still got some RAM
> errors. I then changed the bus speed from DDR400 to DDR333 --
> this has completely solved the problem, though of course the
> system is now not optimized.
>
> So, my questions are: 1) does this indicate a motherboard
> problem, or do you suspect I still have faulty RAM? and 2) How
> can I tweak (underclock) the RAM settings, without the drastic
> step of reducing the bus speed to 333, but still make the
> system stable?
>
> Thanks for any help, and let me know if I need to provide
> further info.

Another note: I just ran PC Wizard 2005 while the memory was set at
DDR400. PC Wizard reports the memory bus as running at 201MHz instead
of 200. Could this slight difference be causing the problem?

No.

Phil Weldon

"sinnerman" <DoNotEmail@HardwareForumz.com> wrote in message
> "sinnerman" wrote:
> > Hi All,
> >
> > I've recently purchased the following equipment:
> >
> > Abit Fatality AN8 SLI mb (939/DDR400) (latest bios: 1.5)
> > AMD Athlon 64 4000+ cpu
> > Corsair 1024MB TWINX-3200C2 memory (DDR400)
> > Geforce 6800 Ultra PCI-E video card
> > 550w power supply
> >
> > Unfortunately, this setup was immediately unstable --
> > crashing, rebooting, freezing, etc. I ran memtest and
> > discovered that the RAM was throwing errors. I tested each
> > module separately (by removing each in turn), and discovered
> > that only one was causing a problem. So, I returned both
> > modules and got replacements. The new ones also failed.
> >
> > So, I decided to take a look at BIOS settings. All the RAM
> > setting were set to "auto". I tried changing this to "by SPD",
> > and that made the system more stable, but I still got some RAM
> > errors. I then changed the bus speed from DDR400 to DDR333 --
> > this has completely solved the problem, though of course the
> > system is now not optimized.
> >
> > So, my questions are: 1) does this indicate a motherboard
> > problem, or do you suspect I still have faulty RAM? and 2) How
> > can I tweak (underclock) the RAM settings, without the drastic
> > step of reducing the bus speed to 333, but still make the
> > system stable?
> >
> > Thanks for any help, and let me know if I need to provide
> > further info.
>
> Another note: I just ran PC Wizard 2005 while the memory was set at
> DDR400. PC Wizard reports the memory bus as running at 201MHz instead
> of 200. Could this slight difference be causing the problem?

The operating system makes no difference given the symptoms you report.

> "sinnerman" wrote:
> > Hi All,
> >
> > I've recently purchased the following equipment:
> >
> > Abit Fatality AN8 SLI mb (939/DDR400) (latest bios: 1.5)
> > AMD Athlon 64 4000+ cpu
> > Corsair 1024MB TWINX-3200C2 memory (DDR400)
> > Geforce 6800 Ultra PCI-E video card
> > 550w power supply
> >
> > Unfortunately, this setup was immediately unstable --
> > crashing, rebooting, freezing, etc. I ran memtest and
> > discovered that the RAM was throwing errors. I tested each
> > module separately (by removing each in turn), and discovered
> > that only one was causing a problem. So, I returned both
> > modules and got replacements. The new ones also failed.
> >
> > So, I decided to take a look at BIOS settings. All the RAM
> > setting were set to "auto". I tried changing this to "by SPD",
> > and that made the system more stable, but I still got some RAM
> > errors. I then changed the bus speed from DDR400 to DDR333 --
> > this has completely solved the problem, though of course the
> > system is now not optimized.
> >
> > So, my questions are: 1) does this indicate a motherboard
> > problem, or do you suspect I still have faulty RAM? and 2) How
> > can I tweak (underclock) the RAM settings, without the drastic
> > step of reducing the bus speed to 333, but still make the
> > system stable?
> >
> > Thanks for any help, and let me know if I need to provide
> > further info.
>
> BTW, I’m running Windows XP with all the latest updates.

Have you tried T2 instead of T1 for your memory settings?
This fixed some problems users have with nforce4 boards and certain a64
chips.
With the other settings as your memory indicates you should run stable.

"sinnerman" wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I've recently purchased the following equipment:
>
> Abit Fatality AN8 SLI mb (939/DDR400) (latest bios: 1.5)
> AMD Athlon 64 4000+ cpu
> Corsair 1024MB TWINX-3200C2 memory (DDR400)
> Geforce 6800 Ultra PCI-E video card
> 550w power supply
>
> Unfortunately, this setup was immediately unstable --
> crashing, rebooting, freezing, etc. I ran memtest and
> discovered that the RAM was throwing errors. I tested each
> module separately (by removing each in turn), and discovered
> that only one was causing a problem. So, I returned both
> modules and got replacements. The new ones also failed.
>
> So, I decided to take a look at BIOS settings. All the RAM
> setting were set to "auto". I tried changing this to "by SPD",
> and that made the system more stable, but I still got some RAM
> errors. I then changed the bus speed from DDR400 to DDR333 --
> this has completely solved the problem, though of course the
> system is now not optimized.
>
> So, my questions are: 1) does this indicate a motherboard
> problem, or do you suspect I still have faulty RAM? and 2) How
> can I tweak (underclock) the RAM settings, without the drastic
> step of reducing the bus speed to 333, but still make the
> system stable?
>
> Thanks for any help, and let me know if I need to provide
> further info.

Update: The BIOS, in "by SPD" mode, had set the RAM latency timing
to 2.5-3-3-8, and the RAM voltage to 2.6V. The Corsair site
recommended 2.5-3-3-6 and a voltage of 2.8. I changed both and now the
system is rock solid! I suspect that it was the voltage change that
made the difference.

I think "auto" and "by spd" are the same thing.

'sinnerman' wrote, in part:
| Update: The BIOS, in "by SPD" mode, had set the RAM latency timing
| to 2.5-3-3-8, and the RAM voltage to 2.6V. The Corsair site
| recommended 2.5-3-3-6 and a voltage of 2.8. I changed both and now the
| system is rock solid! I suspect that it was the voltage change that
| made the difference.

That sometimes happens when you purchase from a company that does not
manufacture chips. By 'selecting' chips, and then boosting the supply
voltage, the company can sell the modules can be sold as a higher speed than
the specifications of the chips. If you want to check your modules for
this, read the identification printed on the chips, then look up the
specifications at the chip manufacturer's website.