Overclocking ASUS P5P800

ken

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2004

Had a very scary experience trying to overclock my P5P800 MB with a 3.2 GHz
cpu, 1 Gig of Kingston DDR 400 ram running in dual channel mode and a Maxtor
300 Gig SATA drive. I have replaced the Intel cpu cooling fan with the
Zalman 7700cu fan for added cooling and peice and quiet when the cpu is
under load.

The system has been running fine at 3.2 GHz for 6 months or so. I got
greedy and wanted it to go faster so I went into the
BIOS and changed the AI Clock Tuner setting from STANDARD to OVERCLOCK 10%.
Saved the new setting and rebooted. The system could not find the SATA hard
drive on the reboot. Restored the default BIOS settings with the same
result - system could not find a boot device. Turned the power off to the
computer and had a beer. Turned the power back on and the computer booted
OK. What is going on? Should I have done something else to overclock the
system? I tried using the AIBooster software that came with the MB and it
seemed to work but I did not want another program running at boot time to
set up the overclocking. Input would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

"Ken" <krlorenz@comcast.net> wrote in message
> Had a very scary experience trying to overclock my P5P800 MB with a 3.2
> GHz cpu, 1 Gig of Kingston DDR 400 ram running in dual channel mode and a
> Maxtor 300 Gig SATA drive. I have replaced the Intel cpu cooling fan with
> the Zalman 7700cu fan for added cooling and peice and quiet when the cpu
> is under load.
>
> The system has been running fine at 3.2 GHz for 6 months or so. I got
> greedy and wanted it to go faster so I went into the
> BIOS and changed the AI Clock Tuner setting from STANDARD to OVERCLOCK
> 10%. Saved the new setting and rebooted. The system could not find the
> SATA hard drive on the reboot. Restored the default BIOS settings with
> the same
> result - system could not find a boot device. Turned the power off to the
> computer and had a beer. Turned the power back on and the computer booted
> OK. What is going on? Should I have done something else to overclock the
> system? I tried using the AIBooster software that came with the MB and it
> seemed to work but I did not want another program running at boot time to
> set up the overclocking. Input would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Never use the % function to overclock, but prefer manual oc'ing wher you can
select a fixed AGP/PCI speed and adequate meory speed ratios. I guess in
your case, one of those was (automatically) set too high.