ROM system requirements?

I've noticed that when I attempt to run some ROM games the performance
drags. I dont know if this is a direct result of lack of resources or a
not so good ROM image. Mortal Kombat and Street Fighter II all load and
play fast, but games like Mortal Kombat II, Tekken and Killer Instict,
NBA JAM, are all very slow.

Is there a place we can go to to view system requirements to play these
ROMS? Currently I have a p3 800mhZ, 512MB RAM and an 128mb Arcade VGA
card. I run Windows command line MAME ver 97, and the latest version of
MAMEWAH.

Anyones input with thier expieriences in these games would be
appreciated. Thanks alot.
7 answers Last reply
More about system requirements

    cast wrote:
    > Is there a place we can go to to view system requirements to play these
    > ROMS?

    Yes, google's archive of this newsgroup would be a good place to start.
    This particular topic has been talked to death over and over and over
    and over and over and over again. Ditto the 'where can I find roms?'
    threads.

    Short answer: No.

    I recommend getting a version of MAME that has been optimized for your CPU.
    You will probably see a little speed improvement. I recommend this web site:

    http://redump.emubase.de/mame.php

    The "weak link" in your system appears to be your CPU. I suggest replacing
    your CPU with at least a 1.4Ghz compatable for your your motherboard. If
    your motherboard cannot handle a faster CPU, you may want to get a new
    faster motherboard/chip combo package.

    "cast" <christopher_corn@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > I've noticed that when I attempt to run some ROM games the performance
    > drags. I dont know if this is a direct result of lack of resources or a
    > not so good ROM image. Mortal Kombat and Street Fighter II all load and
    > play fast, but games like Mortal Kombat II, Tekken and Killer Instict,
    > NBA JAM, are all very slow.
    >
    > Is there a place we can go to to view system requirements to play these
    > ROMS? Currently I have a p3 800mhZ, 512MB RAM and an 128mb Arcade VGA
    > card. I run Windows command line MAME ver 97, and the latest version of
    > MAMEWAH.
    >
    > Anyones input with thier expieriences in these games would be
    > appreciated. Thanks alot.

    Thanks for the replies everyone. I was able to verify the cpu load as
    the game was running and the cpu was pegged at 100%. Thanks again
    everyone.

    .... after inserting a credit, cast <christopher_corn@yahoo.com> leaned
    forward and saw...
    >I've noticed that when I attempt to run some ROM games the performance
    >drags. I dont know if this is a direct result of lack of resources or a
    >not so good ROM image. Mortal Kombat and Street Fighter II all load and
    >play fast, but games like Mortal Kombat II, Tekken and Killer Instict,
    >NBA JAM, are all very slow.

    Combination of both. A game playing on an earlier version of MAME may be
    slower on a later MAME release, since your processor may not handle the
    extra resources demanded of it. OTOH, it may play better since the
    emulation may have improved.

    >Is there a place we can go to to view system requirements to play these
    >ROMS?

    Not really, since the requirements change per game + MAME release, eg:
    to play MK in MAME.95 requires lesser oompf to play MK in MAME.97.

    Similarly, there are many different versions of a MAME release
    (AMD-optimised, xMAME etc) which will skew the results. No doubt there
    are some sites showing benchmarks for one particular version. A quick
    google shows the following archived page:

    http://216.239.59.104/search?q=cache:cutQW3CGWJwJ:mamewah.mameworld.net/d
    ocs/tips.txt+mamewah%2Bperformance&hl=en

    The norm was to find the most resource-demanding game and attempt to
    play that fairly smoothly, meaning that the "lesser games" would all
    emulate pretty much perfectly.

    >Currently I have a p3 800mhZ, 512MB RAM and an 128mb Arcade VGA
    >card. I run Windows command line MAME ver 97, and the latest version of
    >MAMEWAH.

    Processor is the main bottleneck here. Forget video card and memory
    (although memory will have an impact on the underlying OS, which will
    slow things down even before the game has loaded).

    ISTR in the past that people said that a 2GHz chip would run StunRunner,
    the heaviest game out. Dunno what the current benchmark is at the
    moment, though.
    --
    "Sail on silver wings through this storm.
    What fortune love may bring back to my arms again,

    * cast Wrote in alt.games.mame:

    > Thanks for the replies everyone. I was able to verify the cpu load as
    > the game was running and the cpu was pegged at 100%. Thanks again
    > everyone.

    CPU gets pegged at 100% even if you run Pac-man so that isnt a valid
    test.

    --
    David

    belfry wrote:
    > I recommend getting a version of MAME that has been optimized for your CPU.
    > You will probably see a little speed improvement. I recommend this web site:
    >
    > http://redump.emubase.de/mame.php

    .....or try FastMAME (http://www.geoshock.com). It's only current to
    ..95, but it runs /much/ faster than the regular compiles.

    --
    Thnik about it!
    Deadly_Dad

    undernsong@Massm.mil
    urological@Hobbistj.com
    arbute@vinciblenesst.org
    unmoisten@stampedinglyi.edu
    tangleberry@toothchiseledl.mil

    Grumman wrote:
    > cast wrote:
    >> Is there a place we can go to to view system requirements to play
    >> these ROMS?
    >
    > Yes, google's archive of this newsgroup would be a good place to
    > start. This particular topic has been talked to death over and over
    > and over and over and over and over again. Ditto the 'where can I
    > find roms?' threads.
    >
    > Short answer: No.

    Find classic roms at http://mame.slor.net or www.tombstones.org.uk/~ankman.
    They are only the classics, but that's what I'm interested in, so that's
    really the only reliable roms download page I have found personally. Really,
    it's one page because the second page actually just links to the roms on
    mame.slor.net but offers screenshots too. There are about 5 or so broken
    links that have screenshots on the ankman page but are not on the
    mame.slor.net page so you have to find them elsewhere, but the screenshots
    are nice no matter where you get them.

Games Rom Video Games