Wireless connexion problem..

Hi !

Are there any specific requirements to get XP show wireless connexion
configuration parameters ?

I'm under XP-Pro (sp2) on a laptop, and after installing a wireless PC
card (SMC-2632W), I note that the "Network connections" panel doesn't
have any wireless related funtion listed in the left hand menu.

Moreover, in the connections list, the SMC card appears as a regular
network connexion. For example, displaying the connexion status shows
the status, duration and connexion speed but no signal strength as we
may expect with a wireless connexion.

Finally, in the system tray, the connexion's icon is a regular
connexion (two computers) instead of a wireless one (a computer with
waves), and when the signal goes weak, it displays a "cable
disconnected" notification !

Where's the problem ??

Thanks..

Perhaps the software installed with this card, disabled the functionlality of Windows.
Ask their support how to fix this.

--PA

"Michel S." <NoSpam@msn.com> wrote in message news:mn.a2bc7d55cedddbd8.32962@msn.com...
> Hi !
>
> Are there any specific requirements to get XP show wireless connexion
> configuration parameters ?
>
> I'm under XP-Pro (sp2) on a laptop, and after installing a wireless PC
> card (SMC-2632W), I note that the "Network connections" panel doesn't
> have any wireless related funtion listed in the left hand menu.
>
> Moreover, in the connections list, the SMC card appears as a regular
> network connexion. For example, displaying the connexion status shows
> the status, duration and connexion speed but no signal strength as we
> may expect with a wireless connexion.
>
> Finally, in the system tray, the connexion's icon is a regular
> connexion (two computers) instead of a wireless one (a computer with
> waves), and when the signal goes weak, it displays a "cable
> disconnected" notification !
>
> Where's the problem ??
>
> Thanks..

Le 2005-05-20, Pavel A. a supposé :
> Perhaps the software installed with this card, disabled the functionlality of
> Windows. Ask their support how to fix this.

Thanks for your answer.

Since I posted, I found that the latest XP drivers availiable on the
SMC web site are dated 2002 and not even XP compliant !

If it is how this manufacturer support its products, I guess it was the
last time I buy anything from them..

I hope this experience will help people in choosing a more reliable
company in the future.