Amd XP 3000 venice. Mobo and Ram Recomendations needed.

Amd XP 3000 venice. Mobo and Ram Recomendations needed.

Iam putting together a media PC and would like to use the Venice XP
3000 cpu. From what i read it canbe overclocked ALOT. 2.5ghz or more.
But 2.5 would be find for my system. need a fast CPu for my HD movies
and videos.

But what mobo to use for it. It needs top be a decent mobo with USB
2.0 firewire, SATA onboard audio ect. I want an Abit board as i like
Abit.

I was thinking this board: ABIT AN8 (nForce4 PCI-E DDR400 S939) seems
to have everything i want. But can it be overclocked so my Venice gets
to 2.5 ghz ??

RAM but what kind pc 3200,3500,3700 or other even.

Thanks for any help. If you have put a system together with a Venice
let us know.

Thanks.
1 answer Last reply
More about 3000 venice mobo recomendations needed

    Abit AN8 sounds like a decent choice. I'd probably go for the SLI
    board, even with only one graphics card. It's looking like SLI drivers
    are improving, and there's a decent possibility future drivers will
    allow your pair of graphics cards to be non identical (i.e. don't have
    to be same revision from same manufacturer). I think nVidia will def
    raise their game here once ATI have some competition in the market, and
    I still hope that in future (~6 months) I will be able to just buy any
    other 6600GT and have them play nicely.

    I'm having trouble OCing my own similar system using an Asus A8N-SLI
    MB. However, I do have options to set either CPU or RAM speed (but not
    both at the same time) manually. I have 1GB Geil PC4000 RAM and get a
    decent boost in performance from using this speed compared to PC3200
    (well, upto 10% depending on the app - a few things I work with use a
    large in-memory 'database' and these see even bigger improvements upto
    20%), even though the CAS Latency drops to 2.5 instead of 2.
    Considering the PC4000 memory I have was about 80% price premium over
    basic PC320 I am not completely sure the performance boost was worth
    the extra £60.

    NB: even w/o OCing my A64 3000+ / GF 6600GT is fast enough to play HD
    movies, including 1080i quite smoothly, as long as nothing much is
    going on in the background. I would in retrospect have chosen an ATI
    graphics card for 2D stuff though - have been with ATI since original
    Radeon came out, the 6600GT was my first nVidia card and I'm
    disappointed with 2D quality at the resolution I would like to run
    (1920x1440 on 22" CRT)

    FWIW, I have only so far reached 2.45GHz with my Athlon but that's the
    older Winchester core.

    Andy

    Son Of Sheep. wrote:
    > Amd XP 3000 venice. Mobo and Ram Recomendations needed.
    >

    > Iam putting together a media PC and would like to use the Venice XP
    > 3000 cpu. From what i read it canbe overclocked ALOT. 2.5ghz or more.
    > But 2.5 would be find for my system. need a fast CPu for my HD movies
    > and videos.
    >
    > But what mobo to use for it. It needs top be a decent mobo with USB
    > 2.0 firewire, SATA onboard audio ect. I want an Abit board as i like
    > Abit.
    >
    > I was thinking this board: ABIT AN8 (nForce4 PCI-E DDR400 S939) seems
    > to have everything i want. But can it be overclocked so my Venice gets
    > to 2.5 ghz ??
    >

    > RAM but what kind pc 3200,3500,3700 or other even.
    >
    > Thanks for any help. If you have put a system together with a Venice
    > let us know.
    >
    > Thanks.

RAM AMD Windows XP Overclocking Product