1.2 Tualitan- how many volts is too many?

Last thread, I've now written off the Upgradware 370GU adapter for my Intel
D815EEA board. (Though it works great in my Compaq.)

I have taken the easy way out. As opposed to soldering, ala Lunchbox, I
ordered the LinLin adapter, which has a voltage range of 1.3 to 1.05, jumper
selectable.

Since the 1.2 Piii calls for 1.475v, I was going to start at 1.50, perhaps
level off at 1.55 (same as PowerLeap).

Any precautions I should be aware of before I break anything? What are the
voltage limits on the 1.2?

I hope I don't have to go any higher than 1.55volts. The Coppermine is
1.65.

I am hoping the voltage jump will give me some stability.

Thank you again!

--
B'Regards,

Vinnie
19 answers Last reply
More about tualitan volts many

    Typo- voltage range is 1.3 to 2.05.

    sorry 'bout that.

    "Uncle Vinnie" <vinrin57@nospam.optonline.net> wrote in message
    > Last thread, I've now written off the Upgradware 370GU adapter for my
    > Intel D815EEA board. (Though it works great in my Compaq.)
    >
    > I have taken the easy way out. As opposed to soldering, ala Lunchbox, I
    > ordered the LinLin adapter, which has a voltage range of 1.3 to 1.05,
    > jumper selectable.
    >
    > Since the 1.2 Piii calls for 1.475v, I was going to start at 1.50, perhaps
    > level off at 1.55 (same as PowerLeap).
    >
    > Any precautions I should be aware of before I break anything? What are
    > the voltage limits on the 1.2?
    >
    > I hope I don't have to go any higher than 1.55volts. The Coppermine is
    > 1.65.
    >
    > I am hoping the voltage jump will give me some stability.
    >
    > Thank you again!
    >

    > --
    > B'Regards,
    >
    > Vinnie

  2. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.overclocking (More info?)

    You may not need any overvoltage for that CPU. If you search
    Google you'll find a site (in German, and unfortunately I don't have
    the link handy) where 1.2GHz P3's are running happy as a lark at
    145 and 150FSB -- at 1.2V and even lower.

    Stick with rated voltage first, and address instability problems if
    they come up. Upper range for that cpu is usually 1.85-1.9V.

    "Uncle Vinnie" <vinrin57@nospam.optonline.net> wrote in message news:jrbCe.109$Vn2.101@fe11.lga...
    > Typo- voltage range is 1.3 to 2.05.
    >

    > sorry 'bout that.
    >

    > "Uncle Vinnie" <vinrin57@nospam.optonline.net> wrote in message
    > > Last thread, I've now written off the Upgradware 370GU adapter for my
    > > Intel D815EEA board. (Though it works great in my Compaq.)
    > >
    > > I have taken the easy way out. As opposed to soldering, ala Lunchbox, I
    > > ordered the LinLin adapter, which has a voltage range of 1.3 to 1.05,
    > > jumper selectable.
    > >
    > > Since the 1.2 Piii calls for 1.475v, I was going to start at 1.50, perhaps
    > > level off at 1.55 (same as PowerLeap).
    > >
    > > Any precautions I should be aware of before I break anything? What are
    > > the voltage limits on the 1.2?
    > >
    > > I hope I don't have to go any higher than 1.55volts. The Coppermine is
    > > 1.65.
    > >
    > > I am hoping the voltage jump will give me some stability.
    > >
    > > Thank you again!
    > >

    > > --
    > > B'Regards,
    > >
    > > Vinnie

  3. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.overclocking (More info?)

    Uncle Vinnie wrote:

    > Last thread, I've now written off the Upgradware 370GU adapter for my Intel
    > D815EEA board. (Though it works great in my Compaq.)
    >
    > I have taken the easy way out. As opposed to soldering, ala Lunchbox, I
    > ordered the LinLin adapter, which has a voltage range of 1.3 to 1.05, jumper
    > selectable.
    >
    > Since the 1.2 Piii calls for 1.475v, I was going to start at 1.50, perhaps
    > level off at 1.55 (same as PowerLeap).
    >
    > Any precautions I should be aware of before I break anything? What are the
    > voltage limits on the 1.2?
    >
    > I hope I don't have to go any higher than 1.55volts. The Coppermine is
    > 1.65.
    >
    > I am hoping the voltage jump will give me some stability.
    >
    > Thank you again!

    Unlike other CPUs the Tualatins reach a point around 1.7-1.8 volts where it
    gets worse rather than better. I don't know if that's inherent to the CPU
    or the result of some interaction with running them on a coppermine
    motherboards. That's also happens to be about what the 'conventional
    wisdom' is for 'safe' overvolting, around 15-20% (which is why you see some
    motherboards limit the Vcore range).

    Overclockers sometimes push past that but, as I said, it seems to be
    counter productive on the tualatins.

    Your purpose isn't overclocking, though. The theory proposed by P2B, I
    think it was, is that perhaps your motherboard regulator can't regulate
    well enough at the low voltage so you're trying a higher voltage to get the
    *motherboard* Vcore more stable. In which case going on up to 1.65 might
    well be a useful test as it's a voltage the motherboard appears to handle,
    at least for a slower, lower current draw, coppermine.

    One the other end of the spectrum, if the problem is that the motherboard
    regulators can't handle the current load you might want to try a lower
    voltage to reduce the tualatin's power consumption.
  4. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.overclocking (More info?)

    Thanks!

    The plot thickens!

    I'll start at 1.5 and work my way up, hopefully no higher than 1.6~1.65, see
    where that gets me. If nowhere, then I'll move down to 1.45..

    I should have the adapter by Tuesday.... so, I'll get back to you after
    that....

    Thank you VERY much for all your help... btw, still no reply from
    Upgradware... BUT if I can get this going with this adapter, then I should
    be OK.. not sure what components any of these things are made of anyway- the
    LinLin is all over ebay for $1 (they get you on shipping) and the
    Upgradware and PowerLeap, I think are around $30-40..... (I paid $39, 3
    years ago...)

    (as well as the Lunchbox mods, which I was hesitant....)

    Interesting... I'll get back to you... thank you again!!

    "David Maynard" <nospam@private.net> wrote in message
    > Uncle Vinnie wrote:
    >
    >> Last thread, I've now written off the Upgradware 370GU adapter for my
    >> Intel D815EEA board. (Though it works great in my Compaq.)
    >>
    >> I have taken the easy way out. As opposed to soldering, ala Lunchbox, I
    >> ordered the LinLin adapter, which has a voltage range of 1.3 to 1.05,
    >> jumper selectable.
    >>
    >> Since the 1.2 Piii calls for 1.475v, I was going to start at 1.50,
    >> perhaps level off at 1.55 (same as PowerLeap).
    >>
    >> Any precautions I should be aware of before I break anything? What are
    >> the voltage limits on the 1.2?
    >>
    >> I hope I don't have to go any higher than 1.55volts. The Coppermine is
    >> 1.65.
    >>
    >> I am hoping the voltage jump will give me some stability.
    >>
    >> Thank you again!
    >
    > Unlike other CPUs the Tualatins reach a point around 1.7-1.8 volts where
    > it gets worse rather than better. I don't know if that's inherent to the
    > CPU or the result of some interaction with running them on a coppermine
    > motherboards. That's also happens to be about what the 'conventional
    > wisdom' is for 'safe' overvolting, around 15-20% (which is why you see
    > some motherboards limit the Vcore range).
    >
    > Overclockers sometimes push past that but, as I said, it seems to be
    > counter productive on the tualatins.
    >
    > Your purpose isn't overclocking, though. The theory proposed by P2B, I
    > think it was, is that perhaps your motherboard regulator can't regulate
    > well enough at the low voltage so you're trying a higher voltage to get
    > the *motherboard* Vcore more stable. In which case going on up to 1.65
    > might well be a useful test as it's a voltage the motherboard appears to
    > handle, at least for a slower, lower current draw, coppermine.
    >
    > One the other end of the spectrum, if the problem is that the motherboard
    > regulators can't handle the current load you might want to try a lower
    > voltage to reduce the tualatin's power consumption.

  5. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.overclocking (More info?)

    Uncle Vinnie wrote:

    > Thanks!
    >
    > The plot thickens!
    >
    > I'll start at 1.5 and work my way up, hopefully no higher than 1.6~1.65, see
    > where that gets me. If nowhere, then I'll move down to 1.45..

    1.45 won't be any lower because your motherboard doesn't know what .025 is
    so 1.475 is 1.45 already. You'll need to at least go down to 1.4 and I'd
    try to 1.3 (in steps, of course)

    > I should have the adapter by Tuesday.... so, I'll get back to you after
    > that....
    >
    > Thank you VERY much for all your help... btw, still no reply from
    > Upgradware... BUT if I can get this going with this adapter, then I should
    > be OK.. not sure what components any of these things are made of anyway- the
    > LinLin is all over ebay for $1 (they get you on shipping) and the
    > Upgradware and PowerLeap, I think are around $30-40..... (I paid $39, 3
    > years ago...)
    >
    > (as well as the Lunchbox mods, which I was hesitant....)
    >
    > Interesting... I'll get back to you... thank you again!!

    Good luck and do tell us how it went.

    > "David Maynard" <nospam@private.net> wrote in message
    >
    >>Uncle Vinnie wrote:
    >>

    >>>Last thread, I've now written off the Upgradware 370GU adapter for my
    >>>Intel D815EEA board. (Though it works great in my Compaq.)
    >>>
    >>>I have taken the easy way out. As opposed to soldering, ala Lunchbox, I
    >>>ordered the LinLin adapter, which has a voltage range of 1.3 to 1.05,
    >>>jumper selectable.
    >>>
    >>>Since the 1.2 Piii calls for 1.475v, I was going to start at 1.50,
    >>>perhaps level off at 1.55 (same as PowerLeap).
    >>>
    >>>Any precautions I should be aware of before I break anything? What are
    >>>the voltage limits on the 1.2?
    >>>
    >>>I hope I don't have to go any higher than 1.55volts. The Coppermine is
    >>>1.65.
    >>>
    >>>I am hoping the voltage jump will give me some stability.
    >>>
    >>>Thank you again!
    >>
    >>Unlike other CPUs the Tualatins reach a point around 1.7-1.8 volts where
    >>it gets worse rather than better. I don't know if that's inherent to the
    >>CPU or the result of some interaction with running them on a coppermine
    >>motherboards. That's also happens to be about what the 'conventional
    >>wisdom' is for 'safe' overvolting, around 15-20% (which is why you see
    >>some motherboards limit the Vcore range).
    >>
    >>Overclockers sometimes push past that but, as I said, it seems to be
    >>counter productive on the tualatins.
    >>
    >>Your purpose isn't overclocking, though. The theory proposed by P2B, I
    >>think it was, is that perhaps your motherboard regulator can't regulate
    >>well enough at the low voltage so you're trying a higher voltage to get
    >>the *motherboard* Vcore more stable. In which case going on up to 1.65
    >>might well be a useful test as it's a voltage the motherboard appears to
    >>handle, at least for a slower, lower current draw, coppermine.
    >>
    >>One the other end of the spectrum, if the problem is that the motherboard
    >>regulators can't handle the current load you might want to try a lower
    >>voltage to reduce the tualatin's power consumption.

  6. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.overclocking (More info?)

    Well, I'm now working on various settings from 1.4 to 1.6, nothing stable
    yet.

    Somewhere I read about possible heat issues with this board. I have the fan
    from the powersupply pulling air out of the box. I have added a fan to the
    front of the box (that is where Pionex placed the mounting), which pulls air
    into the box. I have an oversized Intel Heatsink/fan on the CPU. Temps are
    111 for processor and 99 for board area....

    Nothing seems out of the ordinary.... running with a 250 powersupply.
    Again, all runs solid with the 800 piii....

    Will keep tinkering...

    > Uncle Vinnie wrote:
    >
    >> Thanks!
    >>
    >> The plot thickens!
    >>
    >> I'll start at 1.5 and work my way up, hopefully no higher than 1.6~1.65,
    >> see where that gets me. If nowhere, then I'll move down to 1.45..
    >
    > 1.45 won't be any lower because your motherboard doesn't know what .025 is
    > so 1.475 is 1.45 already. You'll need to at least go down to 1.4 and I'd
    > try to 1.3 (in steps, of course)
    >

    >> I should have the adapter by Tuesday.... so, I'll get back to you after
    >> that....
    >>
    >> Thank you VERY much for all your help... btw, still no reply from
    >> Upgradware... BUT if I can get this going with this adapter, then I
    >> should be OK.. not sure what components any of these things are made of
    >> anyway- the LinLin is all over ebay for $1 (they get you on shipping)
    >> and the Upgradware and PowerLeap, I think are around $30-40..... (I paid
    >> $39, 3 years ago...)
    >>
    >> (as well as the Lunchbox mods, which I was hesitant....)
    >>
    >> Interesting... I'll get back to you... thank you again!!
    >
    > Good luck and do tell us how it went.
    >

    >> "David Maynard" <nospam@private.net> wrote in message

    >>>Unlike other CPUs the Tualatins reach a point around 1.7-1.8 volts where
    >>>it gets worse rather than better. I don't know if that's inherent to the
    >>>CPU or the result of some interaction with running them on a coppermine
    >>>motherboards. That's also happens to be about what the 'conventional
    >>>wisdom' is for 'safe' overvolting, around 15-20% (which is why you see
    >>>some motherboards limit the Vcore range).
    >>>
    >>>Overclockers sometimes push past that but, as I said, it seems to be
    >>>counter productive on the tualatins.
    >>>
    >>>Your purpose isn't overclocking, though. The theory proposed by P2B, I
    >>>think it was, is that perhaps your motherboard regulator can't regulate
    >>>well enough at the low voltage so you're trying a higher voltage to get
    >>>the *motherboard* Vcore more stable. In which case going on up to 1.65
    >>>might well be a useful test as it's a voltage the motherboard appears to
    >>>handle, at least for a slower, lower current draw, coppermine.
    >>>
    >>>One the other end of the spectrum, if the problem is that the motherboard
    >>>regulators can't handle the current load you might want to try a lower
    >>>voltage to reduce the tualatin's power consumption.

  7. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.overclocking (More info?)

    On Tue, 19 Jul 2005 09:59:13 -0400, "Uncle Vinnie"
    <vinrin57@nospam.optonline.net> wrote:

    I remember having several cpu adapters for pentium 2, but some would
    only work correctly with certain motherboards. Maybe you are just out
    of luck while pairing your motherboard with THIS special adapter.

    Do yourself a favour and trade it for another one, if u cant get it
    stable, the plug & play way. After all, you paid for it.
  8. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.overclocking (More info?)

    Hi, Tom...

    Actually, I have been swapping every component imaginable and it is no one
    component in particular.

    Runs fine with 800 mhz piii but nothing else.

    I've swapped out:

    Motherboards (D815EEA's, I have 2 of them)
    Hard Drives (I have 2 of them)
    Memory sticks (I have a stack of 128's and 256's)
    1.2 piii's (I have 2 of them)
    Upgradware 370GU's (I have 2 of them)
    And now the LinLin adapter.
    I have also swapped Power Supplies, no change..

    I'm running out of options here....

    "tom" <thomasdir@gmx.de> wrote in message
    > On Tue, 19 Jul 2005 09:59:13 -0400, "Uncle Vinnie"
    > <vinrin57@nospam.optonline.net> wrote:
    >
    > I remember having several cpu adapters for pentium 2, but some would
    > only work correctly with certain motherboards. Maybe you are just out
    > of luck while pairing your motherboard with THIS special adapter.
    >
    > Do yourself a favour and trade it for another one, if u cant get it
    > stable, the plug & play way. After all, you paid for it.
  9. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.overclocking (More info?)

    Uncle Vinnie wrote:

    > Hi, Tom...
    >
    > Actually, I have been swapping every component imaginable and it is no one
    > component in particular.
    >
    > Runs fine with 800 mhz piii but nothing else.
    >
    > I've swapped out:
    >
    > Motherboards (D815EEA's, I have 2 of them)
    > Hard Drives (I have 2 of them)
    > Memory sticks (I have a stack of 128's and 256's)
    > 1.2 piii's (I have 2 of them)
    > Upgradware 370GU's (I have 2 of them)
    > And now the LinLin adapter.
    > I have also swapped Power Supplies, no change..

    Was the alternate power supply beefier than 250 watts?

    > I'm running out of options here....
    >

    > "tom" <thomasdir@gmx.de> wrote in message
    >
    >>On Tue, 19 Jul 2005 09:59:13 -0400, "Uncle Vinnie"
    >><vinrin57@nospam.optonline.net> wrote:
    >>
    >>I remember having several cpu adapters for pentium 2, but some would
    >>only work correctly with certain motherboards. Maybe you are just out
    >>of luck while pairing your motherboard with THIS special adapter.
    >>
    >>Do yourself a favour and trade it for another one, if u cant get it
    >>stable, the plug & play way. After all, you paid for it.

  10. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.overclocking (More info?)

    Uncle Vinnie wrote:

    > Well, I'm now working on various settings from 1.4 to 1.6, nothing stable
    > yet.
    >
    > Somewhere I read about possible heat issues with this board. I have the fan
    > from the powersupply pulling air out of the box. I have added a fan to the
    > front of the box (that is where Pionex placed the mounting), which pulls air
    > into the box. I have an oversized Intel Heatsink/fan on the CPU. Temps are
    > 111 for processor and 99 for board area....

    I hope you mean F.

    > Nothing seems out of the ordinary.... running with a 250 powersupply.
    > Again, all runs solid with the 800 piii....
    >
    > Will keep tinkering...

  11. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.overclocking (More info?)

    David Maynard wrote:

    > Might as well try the stock voltage again too.

    I say try it at 1.7v and the 133 MHz bus setting! Might run 1.6 Ghz...
    www.hardwarecooling.com/product_reviews_info.php/cPath/44_66/products_id/199/reviews_id/15
  12. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.overclocking (More info?)

    Fishface wrote:
    > David Maynard wrote:
    >

    >>Might as well try the stock voltage again too.
    >

    > I say try it at 1.7v and the 133 MHz bus setting! Might run 1.6 Ghz...
    > www.hardwarecooling.com/product_reviews_info.php/cPath/44_66/products_id/199/reviews_id/15

    Since he hadn't been able to get it stable at ALL it's best to first
    establish an operational baseline.
  13. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.overclocking (More info?)

    Yes, and yes!

    I am running it over the next few days set at 1.55 (vcore at 1.527).

    If it was the PS all along (which it might be, and since my first attempt
    was to replace a 230 with 250- which probably meant my PS wasn't bad but
    that 230 or even 250 just wasn't enough), I will then crank it up a little
    and see what happens!

    However, if anyone needs a cranked up PC, that would be me....

    That will wait a week... (I have a Compaq 5000T/ 5BW. Motherboard believed
    to be actually Mitac 6513WU.

    Here, I might lead into the same problem... The stock PS is well 300...
    could be around 230... I need to check, and feeding more voltage might put
    more of a drain wouldn't it??

    Thank you both for all your help... As soon as all settles in, I will post
    a huge thank you... you''ve helped alot....

    > Fishface wrote:
    >> David Maynard wrote:
    >>

    >>>Might as well try the stock voltage again too.
    >>

    >> I say try it at 1.7v and the 133 MHz bus setting! Might run 1.6 Ghz...
    >> www.hardwarecooling.com/product_reviews_info.php/cPath/44_66/products_id/199/reviews_id/15
    >>

    > Since he hadn't been able to get it stable at ALL it's best to first
    > establish an operational baseline.

  14. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.overclocking (More info?)

    Uncle Vinnie wrote:
    > Here, I might lead into the same problem... The stock PS is well 300...
    > could be around 230... I need to check, and feeding more voltage might
    > put more of a drain wouldn't it??

    My Abit BF6 is currently running a Tualatin Celeron 1.1A at 139 x 11
    (which is all my memory will do 2-2-2 with the three slots filled) at
    1.65v. It ran 143 x 11 with just two sticks of memory, though. It's nice
    to be able to make the small adjustments. It is powered by a 230 watt
    Powman that came with the Inwin case. It is cooled by a physically
    cut-down and slowed-down Cu-Al HSF that came stock on my
    Athlon XP 2500+. I bought a 1.2 Celeron (also 12x multiplier) on
    eBay for my mom's computer, and quickly checked to see if it would
    run at 133 Mhz on my board. No luck!
  15. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.overclocking (More info?)

    Uncle Vinnie wrote:
    > Yes, and yes!
    >
    > I am running it over the next few days set at 1.55 (vcore at 1.527).
    >
    > If it was the PS all along (which it might be, and since my first attempt
    > was to replace a 230 with 250- which probably meant my PS wasn't bad but
    > that 230 or even 250 just wasn't enough), I will then crank it up a little
    > and see what happens!
    >
    > However, if anyone needs a cranked up PC, that would be me....
    >
    > That will wait a week... (I have a Compaq 5000T/ 5BW. Motherboard believed
    > to be actually Mitac 6513WU.

    Mitac did a number of boards for Compaq. I've got one I picked up as a
    replacement for an HP motherboard.

    I bet you noticed that Compaq isn't HP. So did I after it got here but the
    fly by night *&%$ who sold it didn't.

    I bought it back when the tualatin mod was a hand wiring job and was going
    to use it to test for a customer's HP and it was supposed to BE the HP
    mobo. I had my own tualatin to test with and he agreed to pay for the mobo
    (it was very cheap) to run it on so if it worked I would swap boards and
    the customer got a tualatin plus I got his board for a 'spare' (and paid
    for the work). If it didn't I ended up with the new board as a 'spare'.

    As my perfect 'all bases covered' plan turned out I had to eat it because I
    couldn't run the test. One of those "best laid plans of mice and men..."
    things.

    > Here, I might lead into the same problem... The stock PS is well 300...
    > could be around 230... I need to check, and feeding more voltage might put
    > more of a drain wouldn't it??

    Power consumption increase linearly with speed but with the square of the
    voltage, which is why increasing voltage is the last thing you want to do.
    When overclocking you increase speed first and voltage only if needed and
    only as little as needed because it's working both for you (volts for
    stability) and against you (heat generation). And the 'against you' part
    gets bad faster than the good it's doing real quick.

    > Thank you both for all your help... As soon as all settles in, I will post
    > a huge thank you... you''ve helped alot....
    >

    > "David Maynard" <nospam@private.net> wrote in message
    >
    >>Fishface wrote:

    >>>I say try it at 1.7v and the 133 MHz bus setting! Might run 1.6 Ghz...
    >>>www.hardwarecooling.com/product_reviews_info.php/cPath/44_66/products_id/199/reviews_id/15
    >>>

    >>Since he hadn't been able to get it stable at ALL it's best to first
    >>establish an operational baseline.

  16. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.overclocking (More info?)

    Amazing...

    BTW, that is the PS I am replacing, 230 Powerman.... to a 380 raidmax I got
    at New Egg for $8 after shipping and rebate.

    I was going to put it into my Compaq, but am checking to see first, how my
    Compaq can only be running on 145W (per the part), with a 1.2 Tualatin,
    adapter, 512meg, DVD, CDRW, 40G HD, floppy, firewire, modem, NIC, and 4
    usb's all used...

    The idea would be, if all does run fine on my daughter's pc, she gets the
    upgradware adapter back, I get the LinLin. I then move the voltage up a tad.

    If I do get it to 1.65 or 1.7 as you mention, what would the 1.2 actually be
    running at?? AND, remember, this board runs 133 FSB, but 100 speed mem..
    (verified by Mitac- odd isn't it?)

    Thanks!

    "Fishface" <invalid@ddress.ok?> wrote in message
    > Uncle Vinnie wrote:
    >> Here, I might lead into the same problem... The stock PS is well 300...
    >> could be around 230... I need to check, and feeding more voltage might
    >> put more of a drain wouldn't it??
    >
    > My Abit BF6 is currently running a Tualatin Celeron 1.1A at 139 x 11
    > (which is all my memory will do 2-2-2 with the three slots filled) at
    > 1.65v. It ran 143 x 11 with just two sticks of memory, though. It's nice
    > to be able to make the small adjustments. It is powered by a 230 watt
    > Powman that came with the Inwin case. It is cooled by a physically
    > cut-down and slowed-down Cu-Al HSF that came stock on my
    > Athlon XP 2500+. I bought a 1.2 Celeron (also 12x multiplier) on
    > eBay for my mom's computer, and quickly checked to see if it would
    > run at 133 Mhz on my board. No luck!

  17. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.overclocking (More info?)

    Thanks David..

    Actually, this PC is a Compaq- it's coming up on 5 years old. I've taken it
    about as far as it can go...

    I was thinking of boosting speed a little by upping the voltage (per
    Fishface) but as it is, it is very stable, unless I keep it running without
    AC!
    (It's in my office, a converted attic- Without the AC on, the attic probably
    hits 110/120F! PLUS if I forget to keep the desk cabinet open that it's
    in!)

    My first idea was to replace the power supply since, per the part number,
    it's only 145 watts (how can that be?). I was going to take the 230w
    Powerman from my daughter's Intel (being replaced with a 380), and use it.

    BUT, I am not sure of 2 things- first, how can the Compaq p/s be only 145w?
    Second, is it a standard ATX p/s?

    The board, btw, is a Mitac 6513wu, with Compaq's part number 191767. The p/s
    is Compaq p/n 124848.

    > Uncle Vinnie wrote:
    >> Yes, and yes!
    >>
    >> I am running it over the next few days set at 1.55 (vcore at 1.527).
    >>
    >> If it was the PS all along (which it might be, and since my first attempt
    >> was to replace a 230 with 250- which probably meant my PS wasn't bad but
    >> that 230 or even 250 just wasn't enough), I will then crank it up a
    >> little and see what happens!
    >>
    >> However, if anyone needs a cranked up PC, that would be me....
    >>
    >> That will wait a week... (I have a Compaq 5000T/ 5BW. Motherboard
    >> believed to be actually Mitac 6513WU.
    >
    > Mitac did a number of boards for Compaq. I've got one I picked up as a
    > replacement for an HP motherboard.
    >
    > I bet you noticed that Compaq isn't HP. So did I after it got here but the
    > fly by night *&%$ who sold it didn't.
    >
    > I bought it back when the tualatin mod was a hand wiring job and was going
    > to use it to test for a customer's HP and it was supposed to BE the HP
    > mobo. I had my own tualatin to test with and he agreed to pay for the mobo
    > (it was very cheap) to run it on so if it worked I would swap boards and
    > the customer got a tualatin plus I got his board for a 'spare' (and paid
    > for the work). If it didn't I ended up with the new board as a 'spare'.
    >
    > As my perfect 'all bases covered' plan turned out I had to eat it because
    > I couldn't run the test. One of those "best laid plans of mice and men..."
    > things.
    >

    >> Here, I might lead into the same problem... The stock PS is well 300...
    >> could be around 230... I need to check, and feeding more voltage might
    >> put more of a drain wouldn't it??
    >
    > Power consumption increase linearly with speed but with the square of the
    > voltage, which is why increasing voltage is the last thing you want to do.
    > When overclocking you increase speed first and voltage only if needed and
    > only as little as needed because it's working both for you (volts for
    > stability) and against you (heat generation). And the 'against you' part
    > gets bad faster than the good it's doing real quick.
    >

    >> Thank you both for all your help... As soon as all settles in, I will
    >> post a huge thank you... you''ve helped alot....
    >>

    >> "David Maynard" <nospam@private.net> wrote in message

    >>>Since he hadn't been able to get it stable at ALL it's best to first
    >>>establish an operational baseline.

  18. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.overclocking (More info?)

    Uncle Vinnie wrote:

    > Thanks David..
    >
    > Actually, this PC is a Compaq- it's coming up on 5 years old. I've taken it
    > about as far as it can go...
    >
    > I was thinking of boosting speed a little by upping the voltage (per
    > Fishface) but as it is, it is very stable, unless I keep it running without
    > AC!
    > (It's in my office, a converted attic- Without the AC on, the attic probably
    > hits 110/120F! PLUS if I forget to keep the desk cabinet open that it's
    > in!)

    That would do it. Especially the closed desk turning it onto a mini oven
    from lack of airflow, and being just about already there starting at 120F.

    > My first idea was to replace the power supply since, per the part number,
    > it's only 145 watts (how can that be?). I was going to take the 230w
    > Powerman from my daughter's Intel (being replaced with a 380), and use it.
    >
    > BUT, I am not sure of 2 things- first, how can the Compaq p/s be only 145w?

    Because it's sized for 'what it needs' rather than "whatever you end up
    building" as is the case with a generic PSU where they have no idea what
    you'll put in there so it has 'more than enough of everything' (for the
    'size', e.g. 250 Watts). Or, so one hopes.

    That's also why not all generic 250 watt PSUs are the same. They still have
    to make *some* kind of assumptions as to how much power to allocate on
    the 3.3, 5, and 12 volt rails so one might provide more to the 5, vs the
    others, while another favors the 3.3 and yet another is more generous on
    the 12. But they all still 'add up' to 250, assuming they didn't cheat on
    the spec like many do. And those assumptions change over time as the
    'typical' PC available at the time changes. So the allocations in a PSU
    built back 'in the beginning' of the ATX days won't necessarily have the
    same power allocation as one made today.

    Point being, even a 'million watt' PSU won't help if all that power is on
    the wrong power rail for your particular system.

    And that's before you even get to things like the noise and regulation specs.

    > Second, is it a standard ATX p/s?

    Most likely a Micro or Flex ATX PSU. In which case, a standard ATX won't fit.

    > The board, btw, is a Mitac 6513wu, with Compaq's part number 191767. The p/s
    > is Compaq p/n 124848.
    >

    > "David Maynard" <nospam@private.net> wrote in message
    >
    >>Uncle Vinnie wrote:
    >>
    >>>Yes, and yes!
    >>>
    >>>I am running it over the next few days set at 1.55 (vcore at 1.527).
    >>>
    >>>If it was the PS all along (which it might be, and since my first attempt
    >>>was to replace a 230 with 250- which probably meant my PS wasn't bad but
    >>>that 230 or even 250 just wasn't enough), I will then crank it up a
    >>>little and see what happens!
    >>>
    >>>However, if anyone needs a cranked up PC, that would be me....
    >>>
    >>>That will wait a week... (I have a Compaq 5000T/ 5BW. Motherboard
    >>>believed to be actually Mitac 6513WU.
    >>
    >>Mitac did a number of boards for Compaq. I've got one I picked up as a
    >>replacement for an HP motherboard.
    >>
    >>I bet you noticed that Compaq isn't HP. So did I after it got here but the
    >>fly by night *&%$ who sold it didn't.
    >>
    >>I bought it back when the tualatin mod was a hand wiring job and was going
    >>to use it to test for a customer's HP and it was supposed to BE the HP
    >>mobo. I had my own tualatin to test with and he agreed to pay for the mobo
    >>(it was very cheap) to run it on so if it worked I would swap boards and
    >>the customer got a tualatin plus I got his board for a 'spare' (and paid
    >>for the work). If it didn't I ended up with the new board as a 'spare'.
    >>
    >>As my perfect 'all bases covered' plan turned out I had to eat it because
    >>I couldn't run the test. One of those "best laid plans of mice and men..."
    >>things.
    >>

    >>>Here, I might lead into the same problem... The stock PS is well 300...
    >>>could be around 230... I need to check, and feeding more voltage might
    >>>put more of a drain wouldn't it??
    >>
    >>Power consumption increase linearly with speed but with the square of the
    >>voltage, which is why increasing voltage is the last thing you want to do.
    >>When overclocking you increase speed first and voltage only if needed and
    >>only as little as needed because it's working both for you (volts for
    >>stability) and against you (heat generation). And the 'against you' part
    >>gets bad faster than the good it's doing real quick.
    >>

    >>>Thank you both for all your help... As soon as all settles in, I will
    >>>post a huge thank you... you''ve helped alot....
    >>>

    >>>"David Maynard" <nospam@private.net> wrote in message

  19. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.overclocking (More info?)

    Uncle Vinnie wrote:
    > BTW, that is the PS I am replacing, 230 Powerman....

    I just noticed that it is in fact a 235w Power Man. I heard once
    that they were made by Fortron. I think there is a brand called
    Powman-- whether it is the same, I do not know. It specs at
    22A. on the 5v, 12A on 3.3v, and 8A on 12V. Depending upon
    from which line the CPU voltage is regulated by the motherboard,
    I'm sure that individual results could differ.

Overclocking