Can i copy my os to a new hard drive?

bloodblitz0

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2011
Hi everyone.
I am making a new computer for my little brother and i'm wondering if can just copy my existing hard drive to a new one for his computer so that i dont have to buy windows 7 again.
Will i need a new product key or after copying it will it work fine with no product key?
Thanks in advance.

Solution
I am not the techiest person in the world, but I know Micro$oft has ways to prevent people from just copying their software willy nilly.

What I think happens is that your copy has a key built into it. When your bros computer connects to internet it will be able to tell that two computers are sharing a key.
Maybe if he never connects to internet.

Other possible problem. I think win7 looks at special ids on various pieces of hardware (Network card, processor etc) and makes something like a fingerprint of your computer. It will immediately be able to tell its on a different computer. Also knowing you ripped of Microsoft will slowly eat away at you.

cavscout

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2006
I am not the techiest person in the world, but I know Micro$oft has ways to prevent people from just copying their software willy nilly.

What I think happens is that your copy has a key built into it. When your bros computer connects to internet it will be able to tell that two computers are sharing a key.
Maybe if he never connects to internet.

Other possible problem. I think win7 looks at special ids on various pieces of hardware (Network card, processor etc) and makes something like a fingerprint of your computer. It will immediately be able to tell its on a different computer. Also knowing you ripped of Microsoft will slowly eat away at you.

Solution