Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Northwestern Researchers Create ''Rubber-Band Electronics''

Last response: in News comments
July 5, 2012 12:11:47 AM

The question is, can they survive the patent sharks?
July 5, 2012 12:46:35 AM

Yay so we can see rugged laptops that bounce instead of shatter when dropped.
Related resources
July 5, 2012 1:59:02 AM

They make something out of some fancy silicate and liquid heavy metals and their first thought is "hey this would be great to put in the human body"?

On the other hand this stuff could replace the elastic in your underwear and it could email you every time your waist expands.
July 5, 2012 2:56:30 AM

Unfortunately, it seems like these kinds of innovations always disappear down a black hole and are never heard of again.
July 5, 2012 3:47:30 AM

A Bad DayThe question is, can they survive the patent sharks?

I don't think it's so much an issue of patents as it is about advancing technology. Regardless, it doesn't sound like there is a patent for what they're doing and if there is one, they (the researchers) are probably waiting for it to be approved.
July 5, 2012 4:06:01 AM

s3anisterI don't think it's so much an issue of patents as it is about advancing technology. Regardless, it doesn't sound like there is a patent for what they're doing and if there is one, they (the researchers) are probably waiting for it to be approved.

As of now, patents can be stretched just like rubber bands to cover essentially everything.
July 5, 2012 6:36:59 AM

Chinese -> hardware engineers
Indians -> software
White people -> lawyers or victims of lawyers

:D 
July 5, 2012 11:37:17 AM

news report:
Man dies of heavy metal poisoning when office rubber-band fight takes a dark turn....
July 5, 2012 2:33:06 PM

Zingam_DuoChinese -> hardware engineersIndians -> softwareWhite people -> lawyers or victims of lawyers

Let me correct that for you...

Chinese -> hardware engineers
Indians -> software
White US Americans -> lawyers or victims of lawyers

July 5, 2012 3:23:11 PM

I'm surprised to hear that we have even achieved 50% stretchability.
July 5, 2012 7:37:51 PM

One step closer to TX1000 !
!