The best ones?

Last response: in Overclocking
Share
August 6, 2005 9:13:25 PM

What is the better?
socket 940 low end
socket 939 mid range
or
socket 754 hi-end
or even
socketA

for a total mb+cpu of 400 euros
which AMD proc. will go over 3gHz when overclocked?

More about : question

August 6, 2005 9:16:30 PM

> What is the better?
> socket 940 low end ------>opteron146 or dual246
> socket 939 mid range ----> fx53
> or
> socket 754 -------> a64-3200
> socketA ----->barton3200+
August 7, 2005 8:44:46 AM

"<::SuperBLUE::>" <superblue@negdjenavipu.mpg> wrote in message
news:D d2k8p$pab$1@ss405.t-com.hr...
>> What is the better?
>> socket 940 low end ------>opteron146 or dual246
>> socket 939 mid range ----> fx53
>> or
>> socket 754 -------> a64-3200
>> socketA ----->barton3200+

You seriously expect to get over an actual 3Ghz? You'd better factor in the
world's best water cooling solution and get lucky with the CPU.
a b K Overclocking
August 8, 2005 9:22:38 PM

"<::SuperBLUE::>" <superblue@negdjenavipu.mpg> schreef in bericht
news:D d2k30$p30$1@ss405.t-com.hr...
> What is the better?
> socket 940 low end
> socket 939 mid range
> or
> socket 754 hi-end
> or even
> socketA
>
> for a total mb+cpu of 400 euros
> which AMD proc. will go over 3gHz when overclocked?
>
> No one yet.
But if you want to compare how amd chips do versus 3.6Ghz or 3.8Ghz pentiums
you can find plenty info on that on the www.
They both have their own advantages but the amd chips are faster for
gaming.My xp3800 goes upto 2.7Ghz on 1.62volt,i suppose i can get a bit
higher with more vcore,but find little improvement when running games.So i
run it at stock.
As for your question,a nforce4 board (socket 939) bundled with an amd64 will
give you a very fast pc to play games.
Anonymous
a b K Overclocking
August 9, 2005 1:45:42 AM

<::SuperBLUE::> wrote:

" for a total mb+cpu of 400 euros which AMD proc. will go over 3gHz
when overclocked? "

Do you already have the RAM to do this? Do you need an AGP8x or PCI-E
16x motherboard?

The best overclocking results would probably come from a socket 939 90nm
Venice / San Diego core:

3000+ 1.8GHz 9x 512KB 90nm Venice
3200+ 2.0GHz 10x 512KB 90nm Venice
3500+ 2.2GHz 11x 512KB 90nm Venice
3500+ 2.2GHz 11x 512KB 90nm San Diego
3700+ 2.2GHz 11x 1MB 90nm San Diego
3800+ 2.4GHz 12x 512KB 90nm Venice
4000+ 2.4GHz 12x 1MB 90nm San Diego

You could probably afford a 3500+ if you were only planning to use the
AMD heatsink/fan, but you are unlikely to get anywhere above 2.6GHz
without the temperatures going through the roof. You'll need either a
bigger heatsink with a hairdryer fan or a water-cooling kit, and with
those extra costs you may only be able to afford a 3000+ or 3200+.
Having said that, it is possible to get similar results with a 3000+.
Most reviewers have been getting 2.8GHz ( http://tinyurl.com/asd4r ),
and some people on forums have scraped over 3GHz (
http://tinyurl.com/dlv98 ).

If I was in your position with 400 Euros then I would opt for the following:

DFI LANParty UT nF4 Ultra-D
AMD Athlon 64 3000+ 1.8GHz 512KB Venice
CoolRiver Deluxe http://www.coolriver.de/eng/lcdeluxe.html

If you want a socket 939 AGP8x motherboard then you will have to forget
the nForce4 range of chipsets. EpoX have a couple of good boards with
the nForce3 Ultra. I'm not sure how the VIA K8T800 Pro motherboards
overclock, so maybe someone else can comment.
Anonymous
a b K Overclocking
August 9, 2005 10:07:47 AM

Cuzman wrote:

> If you want a socket 939 AGP8x motherboard then you
> will have to forget the nForce4 range of chipsets.

Also, this guy is in the works:
http://anandtech.com/mb/showdoc.aspx?i=2489
August 10, 2005 1:43:38 AM

Some guys are overclocking the intel dothan 1.6 over 3GHz
Amd fx-57 is overclocked over 4GHz
It all looks expensive.
Maybe amd 3000+ @2.8GHz is the best choice?
It would be an equivalent of 4.2GHz pentium 4, and p4 can go over 5GHz
overclocked,
but I dislike pentium4 becouse at factory speeds they are too expensive vs.
AMD.
I think the memory should be cas 2 latency.
The last Intel i had was a 166mmx @ 208MHz

Overclocking the cpu and the video cards could create an unstable system
:( ((
The dual core opterons are makeing very good results in the Spec webpage. Is
that the case with all dual core cpu´s?
August 13, 2005 3:32:54 AM

Thanks for the help.
I will search some overclocking forums, but it is hard to be sure in
anything in this advanture.
The cooling link looks promising.
I would like to experiment with "dry ice".
!