Overheating Question

I have a spare computer with a processor that is a Pentium 1 GHz (I
think that is just under 1 GHz) with 128 in RAM. It has not been
overclocked but I thought that someone in this group could answer an
overheating question. I'd like to turn it into a web server.

If I use this computer I only have 2 places that I can put it in my
house - in a small closet that will be closed most of the time or under
a bed.

Would it be safe to leave the computer running 24 hrs a day in one of
these two locations? If so which of the two would be best?

Thanks,
CR Junk

crjunk@earthlink.net wrote:

> I have a spare computer with a processor that is a Pentium 1 GHz (I
> think that is just under 1 GHz) with 128 in RAM. It has not been
> overclocked but I thought that someone in this group could answer an
> overheating question. I'd like to turn it into a web server.
>
> If I use this computer I only have 2 places that I can put it in my
> house - in a small closet that will be closed most of the time or under
> a bed.
>
> Would it be safe to leave the computer running 24 hrs a day in one of
> these two locations? If so which of the two would be best?
>
> Thanks,
> CR Junk

It needs some air so under the bed is probably better.

It might also be a good idea to underclock it to lower the power
consumption, as well as heat generated, by setting the FSB to 100MHz,
assuming it's a 133Mhz FSB 1 gig, and then lower Vcore.

<crjunk@earthlink.net> wrote in message
> I have a spare computer with a processor that is a Pentium 1 GHz (I
> think that is just under 1 GHz) with 128 in RAM. It has not been
> overclocked but I thought that someone in this group could answer an
> overheating question. I'd like to turn it into a web server.
Pentium 1?
There's no such thing. PII & PIII
I would have to say it's a PIII, is it a slot CPU?
P1, which it was never called a P1 would've been the Pentium P55c & P54c
If I got that right. But they never really called it a P1. Or at least I
don't think they did.

> If I use this computer I only have 2 places that I can put it in my
> house - in a small closet that will be closed most of the time or under
> a bed.
>
> Would it be safe to leave the computer running 24 hrs a day in one of
> these two locations? If so which of the two would be best?
As long as you have your CPU cooled, you should be fine.

> Thanks,
> CR Junk

Denny... :)

<crjunk@earthlink.net> wrote in message...
> If I use this computer I only have 2 places that I can put it in my
> house - in a small closet that will be closed most of the time or under
> a bed.
>
> Would it be safe to leave the computer running 24 hrs a day in one
> of these two locations? If so which of the two would be best?

That is an absolutely impossible question for us to answer given that we
don't have a clue how much airflow the system would receive in each of these
locations, what the ambient temperatures are in each, and so-on.

Ultimately the only person who can answer these questions is you, so try it
in the most convenient of the two locations and use the onboard system
monitor chip (presuming the PC has one) to make sure the temperatures remain
within safe limits.
--

Richard Hopkins
Cardiff, Wales, United Kingdom

Despite having nothing useful to say, and unable to read the post, 'Denny'
replies anyway:
| Pentium 1?
| There's no such thing. PII & PIII

1 GHz, as in ONE GHz.

Phil Weldon

'CR Junk' wrote, in part:
| If I use this computer I only have 2 places that I can put it in my
| house - in a small closet that will be closed most of the time or under
| a bed.
|
| Would it be safe to leave the computer running 24 hrs a day in one of
| these two locations? If so which of the two would be best?
_____

Figure a simple server with minimal ram and a 1 GHz Pentium III CPU will
dissipate about the same amout of heat as a 100 Watt lamp.

*****Placing the system in a closet or anywere else requires adequate air
circulation. If the closet is completely sealed, the system will almost
surely overheat (plaster and/or drywall doesn't conduct heat very well.
You'd want to keep the closet ambient air temperature below 100 F, with 90 F
even better.

*****Placing the system under a bed has two negatives.
*Dust tends to collect under beds, and dust will clog heatsinks, fans, and
air pathways in the system.
*Noise

The closet seems a better bet, but ventilation should be added.

Phil Weldon

<crjunk@earthlink.net> wrote in message
>I have a spare computer with a processor that is a Pentium 1 GHz (I
> think that is just under 1 GHz) with 128 in RAM. It has not been
> overclocked but I thought that someone in this group could answer an
> overheating question. I'd like to turn it into a web server.
>
> If I use this computer I only have 2 places that I can put it in my
> house - in a small closet that will be closed most of the time or under
> a bed.
>
> Would it be safe to leave the computer running 24 hrs a day in one of
> these two locations? If so which of the two would be best?
>
> Thanks,
> CR Junk

<crjunk@earthlink.net> wrote in message ...
> If possible, I'll try to post a couple of images to see what everyone
> thinks of the setup.

?? Post, where?
--

Richard Hopkins
Cardiff, Wales, United Kingdom

Heat won't be your only problem.Dust wioll get in there as well.

"David Maynard" <nospam@private.net> kirjoitti viestissä
> crjunk@earthlink.net wrote:
>
> > I have a spare computer with a processor that is a Pentium 1 GHz (I
> > think that is just under 1 GHz) with 128 in RAM. It has not been
> > overclocked but I thought that someone in this group could answer an
> > overheating question. I'd like to turn it into a web server.
> >
> > If I use this computer I only have 2 places that I can put it in my
> > house - in a small closet that will be closed most of the time or under
> > a bed.
> >
> > Would it be safe to leave the computer running 24 hrs a day in one of
> > these two locations? If so which of the two would be best?
> >
> > Thanks,
> > CR Junk
> >

> It needs some air so under the bed is probably better.
>
> It might also be a good idea to underclock it to lower the power
> consumption, as well as heat generated, by setting the FSB to 100MHz,
> assuming it's a 133Mhz FSB 1 gig, and then lower Vcore.

I totally agree. One more argument favoring this opinion is that if the CPU
in question really is a P III running approximately at 1GHz, there is no
point trying to run it faster. It is possible, but you'd need a good mobo
and CPU specimens to succeed. Besides, if the original poster is going to
run it as a web server, the 1GHz (or even less) should be enough.

--
gt

TRENDING THREADS