TV

Does anyone know of a device that I can plug into a TV aerial which would
then transmit the signal via 802.11g where I can then pick it up (with
appropriate software) on a wireless enabled PC. So for instance if I want
to have multiple Tablet PCs in my home network I could then view TV on any
of them without having to equip each of them with a TV card?
4 answers Last reply
More about tomshardware

    No, that would violate FCC regulations.

    --
    Carey Frisch
    Microsoft MVP

    "Joseph Byrns" wrote:

    | Does anyone know of a device that I can plug into a TV aerial which would
    | then transmit the signal via 802.11g where I can then pick it up (with
    | appropriate software) on a wireless enabled PC. So for instance if I want
    | to have multiple Tablet PCs in my home network I could then view TV on any
    | of them without having to equip each of them with a TV card?

    This is in the UK, I don't know if we have such stringent rules. Out of
    curiosity why would it violate any regulations. Theoritically I could run
    Terminal Server on a server with a TV card in it and connect using Remote
    Desktop, would that then also violate any rules?

    > No, that would violate FCC regulations.
    >
    > --
    > Carey Frisch
    > Microsoft MVP
    > Windows XP - Shell/User
    > Microsoft Newsgroups

    > "Joseph Byrns" wrote:
    >
    > | Does anyone know of a device that I can plug into a TV aerial which
    > would
    > | then transmit the signal via 802.11g where I can then pick it up (with
    > | appropriate software) on a wireless enabled PC. So for instance if I
    > want
    > | to have multiple Tablet PCs in my home network I could then view TV on
    > any
    > | of them without having to equip each of them with a TV card?

    Hi Joseph,

    If I'm not misunderstanding, you want to use the TV aerial for receiving the
    TV broadcast, not for transmission. If this is the case, no FCC (or its
    equivalent in the U.K.) violations occur, in my opinion.

    I think Carey misunderstood, as I did in the first couple of times I read
    your message.

    I don't know if any such device exists. But let's think of it in a different
    way:

    If you are capable of receiving TV broadcasts at one of your computers,
    then by using appropriate software you should be able to re-broadcast it in
    your LAN. In my ex-job, there was such a setup, and we could watch TV
    anywhere on the LAN. I believe that this is not cheap software, but you may
    find something reasonably priced.

    The main point, in my opinion, is the bandwidth. On our 100 Mb LAN, the
    resolution was bad, and the motion was jerky, depending on the load on the
    LAN. On a 54Mb (or perhaps juiced-up 108Mb) wireless LAN, you could get
    similarly bad results, at the very best. Therefore, it may not meet your
    expectations.

    Good Luck,
    Engin

    "Joseph Byrns" <JosephByrns@nnnooossppammyahoo.com> wrote in message
    > This is in the UK, I don't know if we have such stringent rules. Out of
    > curiosity why would it violate any regulations. Theoritically I could run
    > Terminal Server on a server with a TV card in it and connect using Remote
    > Desktop, would that then also violate any rules?

    > > No, that would violate FCC regulations.
    > >
    > > --
    > > Carey Frisch
    > > Microsoft MVP
    > > Windows XP - Shell/User
    > > Microsoft Newsgroups
    > >
    > > Get Windows XP Service Pack 2 with Advanced Security Technologies:
    > > http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/protect/windowsxp/choose.mspx

    -----------------

    > > "Joseph Byrns" wrote:
    > >
    > > | Does anyone know of a device that I can plug into a TV aerial which
    > > would
    > > | then transmit the signal via 802.11g where I can then pick it up (with
    > > | appropriate software) on a wireless enabled PC. So for instance if I
    > > want
    > > | to have multiple Tablet PCs in my home network I could then view TV on
    > > any
    > > | of them without having to equip each of them with a TV card?

    Sorry for the confusion. Having done some more searching I find that there
    are solutions as you describe. Both SageTV and BeyondTV provide client
    versions of their software allowing networked machines to get access to the
    TV on another networked machine with the TV card in it. Although your
    experience of the poor quality worries me. I can't remember the price
    exactly but it was of the order of $80 for the main version of the software
    then an additional $20 for each client version.

    Thanks.

TV Wireless Wireless Networking