Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

TV

Last response: in Wireless Networking
Share
Anonymous
a b F Wireless
May 21, 2005 11:22:22 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windows.networking.wireless (More info?)

Does anyone know of a device that I can plug into a TV aerial which would
then transmit the signal via 802.11g where I can then pick it up (with
appropriate software) on a wireless enabled PC. So for instance if I want
to have multiple Tablet PCs in my home network I could then view TV on any
of them without having to equip each of them with a TV card?

More about : tv

Anonymous
a b F Wireless
May 21, 2005 12:52:09 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windows.networking.wireless (More info?)

No, that would violate FCC regulations.

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP
Windows XP - Shell/User
Microsoft Newsgroups

Get Windows XP Service Pack 2 with Advanced Security Technologies:
http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/protect/window...

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Joseph Byrns" wrote:

| Does anyone know of a device that I can plug into a TV aerial which would
| then transmit the signal via 802.11g where I can then pick it up (with
| appropriate software) on a wireless enabled PC. So for instance if I want
| to have multiple Tablet PCs in my home network I could then view TV on any
| of them without having to equip each of them with a TV card?
Anonymous
a b F Wireless
May 21, 2005 7:35:49 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windows.networking.wireless (More info?)

This is in the UK, I don't know if we have such stringent rules. Out of
curiosity why would it violate any regulations. Theoritically I could run
Terminal Server on a server with a TV card in it and connect using Remote
Desktop, would that then also violate any rules?


"Carey Frisch [MVP]" <cnfrisch@nospamgmail.com> wrote in message
news:ukHlLxgXFHA.3488@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
> No, that would violate FCC regulations.
>
> --
> Carey Frisch
> Microsoft MVP
> Windows XP - Shell/User
> Microsoft Newsgroups
>
> Get Windows XP Service Pack 2 with Advanced Security Technologies:
> http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/protect/window...
>
> -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
>
> "Joseph Byrns" wrote:
>
> | Does anyone know of a device that I can plug into a TV aerial which
> would
> | then transmit the signal via 802.11g where I can then pick it up (with
> | appropriate software) on a wireless enabled PC. So for instance if I
> want
> | to have multiple Tablet PCs in my home network I could then view TV on
> any
> | of them without having to equip each of them with a TV card?
>
Related resources
Anonymous
a b F Wireless
May 22, 2005 1:42:59 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windows.networking.wireless (More info?)

Hi Joseph,

If I'm not misunderstanding, you want to use the TV aerial for receiving the
TV broadcast, not for transmission. If this is the case, no FCC (or its
equivalent in the U.K.) violations occur, in my opinion.

I think Carey misunderstood, as I did in the first couple of times I read
your message.

I don't know if any such device exists. But let's think of it in a different
way:

If you are capable of receiving TV broadcasts at one of your computers,
then by using appropriate software you should be able to re-broadcast it in
your LAN. In my ex-job, there was such a setup, and we could watch TV
anywhere on the LAN. I believe that this is not cheap software, but you may
find something reasonably priced.

The main point, in my opinion, is the bandwidth. On our 100 Mb LAN, the
resolution was bad, and the motion was jerky, depending on the load on the
LAN. On a 54Mb (or perhaps juiced-up 108Mb) wireless LAN, you could get
similarly bad results, at the very best. Therefore, it may not meet your
expectations.

Good Luck,
Engin


"Joseph Byrns" <JosephByrns@nnnooossppammyahoo.com> wrote in message
news:eVb8iJhXFHA.796@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
> This is in the UK, I don't know if we have such stringent rules. Out of
> curiosity why would it violate any regulations. Theoritically I could run
> Terminal Server on a server with a TV card in it and connect using Remote
> Desktop, would that then also violate any rules?
>
>
> "Carey Frisch [MVP]" <cnfrisch@nospamgmail.com> wrote in message
> news:ukHlLxgXFHA.3488@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
> > No, that would violate FCC regulations.
> >
> > --
> > Carey Frisch
> > Microsoft MVP
> > Windows XP - Shell/User
> > Microsoft Newsgroups
> >
> > Get Windows XP Service Pack 2 with Advanced Security Technologies:
> > http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/protect/window...
> >
>
> --------------------------------------------------------------------------
-----------------
> >
> > "Joseph Byrns" wrote:
> >
> > | Does anyone know of a device that I can plug into a TV aerial which
> > would
> > | then transmit the signal via 802.11g where I can then pick it up (with
> > | appropriate software) on a wireless enabled PC. So for instance if I
> > want
> > | to have multiple Tablet PCs in my home network I could then view TV on
> > any
> > | of them without having to equip each of them with a TV card?
> >
>
>
Anonymous
a b F Wireless
May 22, 2005 12:05:00 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windows.networking.wireless (More info?)

Sorry for the confusion. Having done some more searching I find that there
are solutions as you describe. Both SageTV and BeyondTV provide client
versions of their software allowing networked machines to get access to the
TV on another networked machine with the TV card in it. Although your
experience of the poor quality worries me. I can't remember the price
exactly but it was of the order of $80 for the main version of the software
then an additional $20 for each client version.

Thanks.

"etarhan" <engin_tarhan@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:%23aFNHVjXFHA.1384@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
> Hi Joseph,
>
> If I'm not misunderstanding, you want to use the TV aerial for receiving
> the
> TV broadcast, not for transmission. If this is the case, no FCC (or its
> equivalent in the U.K.) violations occur, in my opinion.
>
> I think Carey misunderstood, as I did in the first couple of times I read
> your message.
>
> I don't know if any such device exists. But let's think of it in a
> different
> way:
>
> If you are capable of receiving TV broadcasts at one of your computers,
> then by using appropriate software you should be able to re-broadcast it
> in
> your LAN. In my ex-job, there was such a setup, and we could watch TV
> anywhere on the LAN. I believe that this is not cheap software, but you
> may
> find something reasonably priced.
>
> The main point, in my opinion, is the bandwidth. On our 100 Mb LAN, the
> resolution was bad, and the motion was jerky, depending on the load on the
> LAN. On a 54Mb (or perhaps juiced-up 108Mb) wireless LAN, you could get
> similarly bad results, at the very best. Therefore, it may not meet your
> expectations.
>
> Good Luck,
> Engin
>
>
> "Joseph Byrns" <JosephByrns@nnnooossppammyahoo.com> wrote in message
> news:eVb8iJhXFHA.796@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
>> This is in the UK, I don't know if we have such stringent rules. Out of
>> curiosity why would it violate any regulations. Theoritically I could
>> run
>> Terminal Server on a server with a TV card in it and connect using Remote
>> Desktop, would that then also violate any rules?
>>
>>
>> "Carey Frisch [MVP]" <cnfrisch@nospamgmail.com> wrote in message
>> news:ukHlLxgXFHA.3488@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
>> > No, that would violate FCC regulations.
>> >
>> > --
>> > Carey Frisch
>> > Microsoft MVP
>> > Windows XP - Shell/User
>> > Microsoft Newsgroups
>> >
>> > Get Windows XP Service Pack 2 with Advanced Security Technologies:
>> > http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/protect/window...
>> >
>>
>> --------------------------------------------------------------------------
> -----------------
>> >
>> > "Joseph Byrns" wrote:
>> >
>> > | Does anyone know of a device that I can plug into a TV aerial which
>> > would
>> > | then transmit the signal via 802.11g where I can then pick it up
>> > (with
>> > | appropriate software) on a wireless enabled PC. So for instance if I
>> > want
>> > | to have multiple Tablet PCs in my home network I could then view TV
>> > on
>> > any
>> > | of them without having to equip each of them with a TV card?
>> >
>>
>>
>
>
!